GULC v UCLA

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
Motionsinlemons

New
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:24 pm

GULC v UCLA

Postby Motionsinlemons » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:53 pm

As of this morning, I had it all figured out. I would go to Georgetown because it WAS higher ranked than UCLA and then move back to LA.
THEN the rankings came out and I am SO torn.

I have lived in California my whole life, I went to USC for undergrad, and I plan on living here for pretty much the rest of my life. So it is very important for me to be able to find a job in LA. Before you say it, I know that I should go to school where I want to work but I mean Georgetown isn't some regional school out in the middle of nowhere(no offense to regional schools out in the middle of nowhere). The reason I had my sights set on Georgetown is that I want to experience a different city and hopefully become a well rounded lawyer having been on both coasts. Every time my friends and family urged me to stay and go to UCLA I would cite the rankings, because that was a huge factor. But now I can't justify rankings for my decision because they are tied. Literally, TIED. I mean It would be one thing if UCLA out ranked GULC but, that is not the case.

I'm afraid that I would be making a terrible decision if I went to GULC in regards to job prospects in LA, and on the other hand if I stayed in LA i'd be missing out on a great opportunity to experience something different and out of my comfort zone.

So, please help a girl out with some perfectly rational reasons to pick one over the other!

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond
Posts: 29306
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: GULC v UCLA

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:54 pm

Which costs more?

User avatar
guynourmin

Gold
Posts: 3434
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:42 pm

Re: GULC v UCLA

Postby guynourmin » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:57 pm

Motionsinlemons wrote:on the other hand if I stayed in LA i'd be missing out on a great opportunity to experience something different and out of my comfort zone.


GULC may be the right choice if it is 20-30k cheaper, but it would only be the right choice because it is so much cheaper. You go to law school to get a job as a lawyer, not to experience something new and get out of your comfort zone. Go work in DC for a year or two before law school if you'd like, or go backpack peru this summer if you want a new experience.

User avatar
Motionsinlemons

New
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:24 pm

Re: GULC v UCLA

Postby Motionsinlemons » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:57 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Which costs more?


As of right now I haven't heard back about scholarships for the both of them. UCLA is cheaper at sticker for me because Im a California resident. Also a anything under a 30k overall difference isn't going to make much of a difference for me in the long run.

User avatar
Motionsinlemons

New
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:24 pm

Re: GULC v UCLA

Postby Motionsinlemons » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:58 pm

guybourdin wrote:
Motionsinlemons wrote:on the other hand if I stayed in LA i'd be missing out on a great opportunity to experience something different and out of my comfort zone.


GULC may be the right choice if it is 20-30k cheaper, but it would only be the right choice because it is so much cheaper. You go to law school to get a job as a lawyer, not to experience something new and get out of your comfort zone. Go work in DC for a year or two before law school if you'd like, or go backpack peru this summer if you want a new experience.



Experience as in advocacy, trial, and procedural style not as in some sort of lifestyle change. I should've been more clear.

User avatar
dietcoke1

Silver
Posts: 1326
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:18 pm

Re: GULC v UCLA

Postby dietcoke1 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:59 pm

Motionsinlemons wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:Which costs more?


As of right now I haven't heard back about scholarships for the both of them. UCLA is cheaper at sticker for me because Im a California resident. Also a anything under a 30k overall difference isn't going to make much of a difference for me in the long run.


please tell us your not planning on paying for either school at sticker with loans.

User avatar
trebekismyhero

Silver
Posts: 810
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 5:26 pm

Re: GULC v UCLA

Postby trebekismyhero » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:00 pm

Motionsinlemons wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:Which costs more?


As of right now I haven't heard back about scholarships for the both of them. UCLA is cheaper at sticker for me because Im a California resident. Also a anything under a 30k overall difference isn't going to make much of a difference for me in the long run.


Have you asked for money from UCLA or Georgetown? First, ask Georgetown for $, then take that and the acceptance to UCLA for more $.

Rankings don't matter. Employment prospects and COA matter more. And as mentioned, don't go to DC just to experience a different city

saf18hornet

Bronze
Posts: 314
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:21 pm

Re: GULC v UCLA

Postby saf18hornet » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:00 pm

Quit looking at the rankings. Below HYS, the next 10 schools are all peers. Consider regional prestige, and pick the cheapest school in your desired employment region.

User avatar
Motionsinlemons

New
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:24 pm

Re: GULC v UCLA

Postby Motionsinlemons » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:00 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:
Motionsinlemons wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:Which costs more?


As of right now I haven't heard back about scholarships for the both of them. UCLA is cheaper at sticker for me because Im a California resident. Also a anything under a 30k overall difference isn't going to make much of a difference for me in the long run.


please tell us your not planning on paying for either school at sticker with loans.



lol ABSOLUTELY NOT.

User avatar
floatie

Silver
Posts: 591
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:39 pm

Re: GULC v UCLA

Postby floatie » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:00 pm

Law school isn't the time to try out a new city, going to school on a different coast doesn't make you a well-rounded lawyer, and USNWR rankings are largely meaningless.

If you want to live in and work in California, go to UCLA. If you want to "try out" a new coast by spending some time in DC, do a summer internship.

goldenbear2020

Silver
Posts: 631
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:47 pm

Re: GULC v UCLA

Postby goldenbear2020 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:01 pm

Regardless of the rankings, GULC and UCLA are basically tied for biglaw/fedclerkship placement - roughly top half of the class. However, since you're LA or bust, the bottom half at UCLA probably gets better connections to that market than the bottom half at GULC.

User avatar
Motionsinlemons

New
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:24 pm

Re: GULC v UCLA

Postby Motionsinlemons » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:04 pm

floatie wrote:Law school isn't the time to try out a new city, going to school on a different coast doesn't make you a well-rounded lawyer, and USNWR rankings are largely meaningless.

If you want to live in and work in California, go to UCLA. If you want to "try out" a new coast by spending some time in DC, do a summer internship.



The thing is, I've heard that the trial attorneys on the east coast have a different style than west coast attorneys and that is largely because of the legal environment there, so that is the rational behind "trying out" a new city. I want to have a diverse set of trial skills.

User avatar
Motionsinlemons

New
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:24 pm

Re: GULC v UCLA

Postby Motionsinlemons » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:06 pm

goldenbear2020 wrote:Regardless of the rankings, GULC and UCLA are basically tied for biglaw/fedclerkship placement - roughly top half of the class. However, since you're LA or bust, the bottom half at UCLA probably gets better connections to that market than the bottom half at GULC.


I would assume so, but any insight as to the top half? Would they take someone at the top 10% of Georgetown over someone at the top 10% of UCLA?

cavalier1138

Platinum
Posts: 5071
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: GULC v UCLA

Postby cavalier1138 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:07 pm

saf18hornet wrote:Quit looking at the rankings. Below HYS, the next 10 schools are all peers. Consider regional prestige, and pick the cheapest school in your desired employment region.


Precisely. The next 10 schools after HYS. Georgetown has fallen from grace, and it is our duty to shun them.

AZ123

New
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:08 pm

Re: GULC v UCLA

Postby AZ123 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:10 pm

A random shift in rankings should play absolutely zero role in your decision process. 99 percent of hiring partners are likely unaware this even happened (and if they did know, they probably wouldn't care).

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond
Posts: 29306
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: GULC v UCLA

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:12 pm

Motionsinlemons wrote:
floatie wrote:Law school isn't the time to try out a new city, going to school on a different coast doesn't make you a well-rounded lawyer, and USNWR rankings are largely meaningless.

If you want to live in and work in California, go to UCLA. If you want to "try out" a new coast by spending some time in DC, do a summer internship.



The thing is, I've heard that the trial attorneys on the east coast have a different style than west coast attorneys and that is largely because of the legal environment there, so that is the rational behind "trying out" a new city. I want to have a diverse set of trial skills.

A different style isn't the same as different skills. To the extent that the style thing is true, if you go to Georgetown and learn east coast style you're going to have to just relearn the west coast style when you go back and practice there.

So you should probably go to UCLA.

cavalier1138

Platinum
Posts: 5071
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: GULC v UCLA

Postby cavalier1138 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:12 pm

AZ123 wrote:A random shift in rankings should play absolutely zero role in your decision process. 99 percent of hiring partners are likely unaware this even happened (and if they did know, they probably wouldn't care).


Blasphemy!

Seriously, OP: if you'd asked the same question three days ago, you would have been told to go to the cheaper school. You should still do that.

User avatar
Motionsinlemons

New
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:24 pm

Re: GULC v UCLA

Postby Motionsinlemons » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:15 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
AZ123 wrote:A random shift in rankings should play absolutely zero role in your decision process. 99 percent of hiring partners are likely unaware this even happened (and if they did know, they probably wouldn't care).


Blasphemy!

Seriously, OP: if you'd asked the same question three days ago, you would have been told to go to the cheaper school. You should still do that.



You do make a pretty good point there. I guess you're right. I'll wait for scholarship info and take the path of the least amount of loans.

User avatar
quiver

Silver
Posts: 977
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:46 pm

Re: GULC v UCLA

Postby quiver » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:33 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Motionsinlemons wrote:
floatie wrote:Law school isn't the time to try out a new city, going to school on a different coast doesn't make you a well-rounded lawyer, and USNWR rankings are largely meaningless.

If you want to live in and work in California, go to UCLA. If you want to "try out" a new coast by spending some time in DC, do a summer internship.



The thing is, I've heard that the trial attorneys on the east coast have a different style than west coast attorneys and that is largely because of the legal environment there, so that is the rational behind "trying out" a new city. I want to have a diverse set of trial skills.

A different style isn't the same as different skills. To the extent that the style thing is true, if you go to Georgetown and learn east coast style you're going to have to just relearn the west coast style when you go back and practice there.

So you should probably go to UCLA.
Yeah, I'm not really sure what OP is referencing here. But to the extent there are different "styles", you won't be learning that in law school anyway. As others have said, you can do a summer internship in DC if you want to check out the "legal atmosphere" on the east coast.

User avatar
Motionsinlemons

New
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:24 pm

Re: GULC v UCLA

Postby Motionsinlemons » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:39 pm

[/quote]Yeah, I'm not really sure what OP is referencing here. But to the extent there are different "styles", you won't be learning that in law school anyway. As others have said, you can do a summer internship in DC if you want to check out the "legal atmosphere" on the east coast.[/quote]

Court room styles. Trial court.
You do learn that in law school if you do the right clinics and get the right extern and internship.
One summer isn't enough to get full breadth of how they do things there.
But, I've decided ill go with the cheaper school.

User avatar
Motionsinlemons

New
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:24 pm

Re: GULC v UCLA

Postby Motionsinlemons » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:40 pm

quiver wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Motionsinlemons wrote:
floatie wrote:Law school isn't the time to try out a new city, going to school on a different coast doesn't make you a well-rounded lawyer, and USNWR rankings are largely meaningless.

If you want to live in and work in California, go to UCLA. If you want to "try out" a new coast by spending some time in DC, do a summer internship.



The thing is, I've heard that the trial attorneys on the east coast have a different style than west coast attorneys and that is largely because of the legal environment there, so that is the rational behind "trying out" a new city. I want to have a diverse set of trial skills.

A different style isn't the same as different skills. To the extent that the style thing is true, if you go to Georgetown and learn east coast style you're going to have to just relearn the west coast style when you go back and practice there.

So you should probably go to UCLA.
Yeah, I'm not really sure what OP is referencing here. But to the extent there are different "styles", you won't be learning that in law school anyway. As others have said, you can do a summer internship in DC if you want to check out the "legal atmosphere" on the east coast.


Court room styles. Trial court.
You do learn that in law school if you do the right clinics and get the right extern and internship.
One summer isn't enough to get full breadth of how they do things there.
But, I've decided ill go with the cheaper school.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond
Posts: 29306
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: GULC v UCLA

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:41 pm

Motionsinlemons wrote:
Yeah, I'm not really sure what OP is referencing here. But to the extent there are different "styles", you won't be learning that in law school anyway. As others have said, you can do a summer internship in DC if you want to check out the "legal atmosphere" on the east coast.[/quote]

Court room styles. Trial court.
You do learn that in law school if you do the right clinics and get the right extern and internship.
One summer isn't enough to get full breadth of how they do things there.
But, I've decided ill go with the cheaper school.[/quote]
But different styles don't matter because you're going to be expected to practice the way it's done wherever you are.

User avatar
Motionsinlemons

New
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:24 pm

Re: GULC v UCLA

Postby Motionsinlemons » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:47 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Motionsinlemons wrote:
Yeah, I'm not really sure what OP is referencing here. But to the extent there are different "styles", you won't be learning that in law school anyway. As others have said, you can do a summer internship in DC if you want to check out the "legal atmosphere" on the east coast.


Court room styles. Trial court.
You do learn that in law school if you do the right clinics and get the right extern and internship.
One summer isn't enough to get full breadth of how they do things there.
But, I've decided ill go with the cheaper school.[/quote]
But different styles don't matter because you're going to be expected to practice the way it's done wherever you are.[/quote]


That is true to some extent but from what I've seen of the trial attorneys I would hope to be like they strike a balance between the two and it is very effective, usually. Tbh the whole east coast thing was advice from them which is why I am giving it so much weight in comparison to the benefits of going to a regional LA school.

User avatar
quiver

Silver
Posts: 977
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:46 pm

Re: GULC v UCLA

Postby quiver » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:58 pm

For the record, you're talking to practicing attorneys here too. I am still unclear on what specifically you're referencing with regard to "style", but more to the point of your thread, just go to the cheaper school.

Rigo

Diamond
Posts: 16640
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: GULC v UCLA

Postby Rigo » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:39 pm

Why aren't you considering Michigan?



Return to “Choosing a Law School�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: nicole1994 and 15 guests