Why the Michigan hatred?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
proteinshake

Gold

Re: Why the Michigan hatred?

Postby proteinshake » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:42 pm

XUMickeal wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
SweetTort wrote:
nyu2019maybeplease wrote:Also, if you think of the admissions process as your halycon days, you had a different experience than I did.

nyu2019maybeplease wrote:Yea. Went into the cycle dreaming of NYU. Got in. Went to Michigan. Good choice. Questions?

cavalier1138 wrote:
nyu2019maybeplease wrote:Lived in NYC before school. Going to NYC. Picked Michigan over NYU, don't regret choice for second.

Ann Arbor is awesome and the school provides a great community. I've found myself more able to focus here, and the things I miss in NYC I wouldn't be doing as a law student anyhow.

Different people do well in different environments.

I'm sure they do. But there are quite a few practical drawbacks to living in Ann Arbor when there's no chance in hell you'll be working anywhere in the general vicinity.

Also, I can't possibly avoid remarking on your username. I'm sure it's from your halcyon 0L days, but can you really shill for Mich like that?

I think he was saying that the time before law school was his halcyon days, not the admissions process.

I think I was just being flippant.

It's interesting how strong the reaction has been, though. I actually said Michigan was a good school. I'd say it's a great school. But there's no denying that the Ann Arbor location is a drawback when it comes to taking advantage of nearby career opportunities. The thread isn't asking people to rate Michigan; it's asking why Michigan appears to get a lot of "hatred" compared to its peer schools. Its location is one possible explanation.

Duke is also poorly located yet there hasn't been that much hatred generated towards it.

I thought people just hate on Mich cause they don't think it should be ranked 8.

somedeadman

Bronze

Postby somedeadman » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:33 pm

I wasn't even aware there was a hatred of Michigan

dabigchina

Silver

Postby dabigchina » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:01 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:

It's interesting how strong the reaction has been, though. I actually said Michigan was a good school. I'd say it's a great school. But there's no denying that the Ann Arbor location is a drawback when it comes to taking advantage of nearby career opportunities. The thread isn't asking people to rate Michigan; it's asking why Michigan appears to get a lot of "hatred" compared to its peer schools. Its location is one possible explanation.

I'll never understand this "hurr durr you have to live in a major metro area or you are wasting your life" reaction that people have towards Ann Arbor. Living in a place like New York sounds cool until you realize you can't even find a grocery store within 30 mins of your apartment that sells 30 packs of beer.

I've spent significant amounts of time in AA and it's one of my favorite places in the world. This is coming from a guy who's spent significant amounts of time in most of the major cities in America.

ETA: I don't attend Michigan and I never have.

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:49 pm

dabigchina wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:

I'll never understand this "hurr durr you have to live in a major metro area or you are wasting your life" reaction that people have towards Ann Arbor. Living in a place like New York sounds cool until you realize you can't even find a grocery store within 30 mins of your apartment that sells 30 packs of beer.

I've spent significant amounts of time in AA and it's one of my favorite places in the world. This is coming from a guy who's spent significant amounts of time in most of the major cities in America.

ETA: I don't attend Michigan and I never have.

Again, totally fine. You can prefer living in a quieter town to living in a city. No one is arguing that it's wrong to live outside an urban area. But your closest reasonable job market is a four hour drive away, and that absolutely has an effect on the ease of securing summer employment and the ability to do internships during the year.

I don't know why I have to keep repeating this: it's a good school. But this was a question about why people are "hating" on it, and you cannot possibly argue that location isn't a reason.

CTT

Bronze

Postby CTT » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:28 pm

All I can tell people hating on Michigan is that I'm so much happier with the experience I had in at Michigan than the people I work with who went basically everywhere else (especially Georgetown and Columbia).

It's people who want live in a shoe box apartment in New York and run up an extra $60,000 in debt while they have no money to enjoy the city who confuse me. Also, the obsession with big law is hilarious (I say this as an associate at a V10 firm--find better ambitions!).

Keilz

Gold

Postby Keilz » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:50 pm

I'm deadset on New York, but haven't heard back from CLS or NYU yet and was waitlisted at Penn. I got into the rest of the 8-14 schools.

I haven't heard back on scholarships from Berkeley, NU, or Gtown yet, but I'm feeling like Michigan is where I'm going to end up if I don't get into a NYC school. They gave me the most money (tied with Cornell but cheaper tuition), the buildings are beautiful, and they have a Geneva fellowship that I really want to do. The only drawback here is lay prestige and this info I see on TLS about their big law/fed numbers. Not particularly interested in NU or Georgetown, but the rest of the schools that I got into don't have a strong feeder market.

I love California and attending Berkeley would be awesome, but I need to wait for $ because I live on the east coast.

BigZuck

Diamond

Postby BigZuck » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:58 am

Socratease wrote:
BigZuck wrote:This thread was fun the first 17 times we did it but we're not going to rehash this again, sorry OP.
has
If you want a serious answer just read some posts by Michigan students and it'll be clear as day.

Can you elablorate on this, BigZuck? It's the second time I've seen you say to read posts by Michigan students, but I've lurked and lurked and in my lurking read close to a bajillion posts by Mich students and frankly I don't understand what you mean. It is not clear as day.

Or can we at least get some links to specific instances of Mich dumbness/awfulness/demonshit? As a 0L without a dog in this fight, I'm just genuinely curious.

(sorry if this is rehashing)

You seem like someone who likes their admissions deans to be of the cool aunt variety

Shall we mark you down as a Michigan man?

nyu2019maybeplease

Bronze

Postby nyu2019maybeplease » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:32 am

Feel free to PM with any specific questions

Keilz wrote:I'm deadset on New York, but haven't heard back from CLS or NYU yet and was waitlisted at Penn. I got into the rest of the 8-14 schools.

I haven't heard back on scholarships from Berkeley, NU, or Gtown yet, but I'm feeling like Michigan is where I'm going to end up if I don't get into a NYC school. They gave me the most money (tied with Cornell but cheaper tuition), the buildings are beautiful, and they have a Geneva fellowship that I really want to do. The only drawback here is lay prestige and this info I see on TLS about their big law/fed numbers. Not particularly interested in NU or Georgetown, but the rest of the schools that I got into don't have a strong feeder market.

I love California and attending Berkeley would be awesome, but I need to wait for $ because I live on the east coast.

Npret

Silver

Postby Npret » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:47 am

BigZuck wrote:
Socratease wrote:
BigZuck wrote:This thread was fun the first 17 times we did it but we're not going to rehash this again, sorry OP.
has
If you want a serious answer just read some posts by Michigan students and it'll be clear as day.

Can you elablorate on this, BigZuck? It's the second time I've seen you say to read posts by Michigan students, but I've lurked and lurked and in my lurking read close to a bajillion posts by Mich students and frankly I don't understand what you mean. It is not clear as day.

Or can we at least get some links to specific instances of Mich dumbness/awfulness/demonshit? As a 0L without a dog in this fight, I'm just genuinely curious.

You seem like someone who likes their admissions deans to be of the cool aunt variety

I think it's more of the cringeworthy aunt who thinks she cool variety but opinions vary. Yale has the actual cool aunt.

VA2lawschool

Bronze

Postby VA2lawschool » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:28 pm

Keilz wrote:I'm deadset on New York, but haven't heard back from CLS or NYU yet and was waitlisted at Penn. I got into the rest of the 8-14 schools.

I'm a 0L, but I know many people who go/went to Michigan (from East Coast, not the Midwest, for reference) and they absolutely love it. More than that, they have had all of the opportunities available at UVA/Berk, etc. I am also looking here and love the idea of the Geneva fellowship, and spoke to several students who secured spots at V5 firms and DOJ Honors. Let me know if you have other questions!

Socratease

New

Postby Socratease » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:21 pm

BigZuck wrote:
Socratease wrote:
has

Yikes, man. I was just trying to preserve of an air of lightheartedness while inquiring into your opinions. I thought maybe you would give me more insight into why you think the things you do. I'm realizing now I had no good reason to think this.

lymenheimer

Gold

Postby lymenheimer » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:26 pm

Socratease wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
Socratease wrote:
has

Yikes, man. I was just trying to preserve of an air of lightheartedness while inquiring into your opinions. I thought maybe you would give me more insight into why you think the things you do. I'm realizing now I had no good reason to think this.

What a zinger

Sarastro

Bronze

Postby Sarastro » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:28 pm

Socratease wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
Socratease wrote:
has

Dude, he already said the admissions dean is silly. I don't understand what more information you want. Clearly Michigan is a dumpster fire.

PrezRand

Gold

Postby PrezRand » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:33 pm

XUMickeal wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
SweetTort wrote:
nyu2019maybeplease wrote:Also, if you think of the admissions process as your halycon days, you had a different experience than I did.

nyu2019maybeplease wrote:Yea. Went into the cycle dreaming of NYU. Got in. Went to Michigan. Good choice. Questions?

cavalier1138 wrote:
nyu2019maybeplease wrote:Lived in NYC before school. Going to NYC. Picked Michigan over NYU, don't regret choice for second.

Ann Arbor is awesome and the school provides a great community. I've found myself more able to focus here, and the things I miss in NYC I wouldn't be doing as a law student anyhow.

Different people do well in different environments.

I'm sure they do. But there are quite a few practical drawbacks to living in Ann Arbor when there's no chance in hell you'll be working anywhere in the general vicinity.

Also, I can't possibly avoid remarking on your username. I'm sure it's from your halcyon 0L days, but can you really shill for Mich like that?

I think he was saying that the time before law school was his halcyon days, not the admissions process.

Duke is also poorly located yet there hasn't been that much hatred generated towards it.

Better employment numbers and zero snowstorms=No hate by TLS

Socratease

New

Postby Socratease » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:34 pm

Sarastro wrote:
Socratease wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
Socratease wrote:
has

Dude, he already said the admissions dean is silly. I don't understand what more information you want. Clearly Michigan is a dumpster fire.

Right, I don't know why I thought there was more to it. My apologies for keeping this going. This is a dumb conversation.

BigZuck

Diamond

Postby BigZuck » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:25 pm

Socratease wrote:
Sarastro wrote:
Socratease wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
Socratease wrote:
has

Right, I don't know why I thought there was more to it. My apologies for keeping this going. This is a dumb conversation.

Seek out a Reggie Miller tar and perhaps all your questions will be answered

Also I'm closing way too many deals and just straight big billin' to do your TLS searching for you but I'm confident the search function on this website will get you where you want to go. And you shall be entertained along the way, that's a BigZuck Guarantee

lymenheimer

Gold

Postby lymenheimer » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:05 pm

BigZuck wrote:
Socratease wrote:
Sarastro wrote:
Socratease wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
Socratease wrote:
has

Seek out a Reggie Miller tar and perhaps all your questions will be answered

Also I'm closing way too many deals and just straight big billin' to do your TLS searching for you but I'm confident the search function on this website will get you where you want to go. And you shall be entertained along the way, that's a BigZuck Guarantee

Shit's legit bro

Return to “Choosing a Law School�