UConn or Tulane (possibly American?)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UConn, Tulane or American?

UConn
68%
Tulane
11%
American
21%

Total votes: 19

guynourmin

Gold

Re: UConn or Tulane (possibly American?)

Postby guynourmin » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:51 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:
lymenheimer wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:First off it wasnt just a landslide it was almost unanimous(and the only vote for AU admitted his vote wasnt guenine bur rather because he enjoyed pressing voting buttons). Point is
Its hard to say my advice here was "terrible" when almost everyone in the poll agreed with me. 21k total tuition at UCONN is a good outcome.

Actually when you posted that, it was 8 for UConn and 1 for Tulane. But yes...Polls are objectively the best metric of correctness and judging facts.

Why do i have the feeling this is about to get political?

It's not.

Rubbishdump

Bronze

Postby Rubbishdump » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:28 am

21K in extra debt with a strong chance that the OP ends up unemployed following graduation is not an ideal outcome or a no brainer, man. IMO, OP should have applied to other schools, and should definitely sit the cycle out and do so next cycle. Retake while you're at it.

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:00 am

Ferrisjso wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:First off it wasnt just a landslide it was almost unanimous(and the only vote for AU admitted his vote wasnt guenine bur rather because he enjoyed pressing voting buttons). Point is
Its hard to say my advice here was "terrible" when almost everyone in the poll agreed with me. 21k total tuition at UCONN is a good outcome.

Honestly it's like talking (or typing) to a brick wall.

The point is that 14 or 15 people (last I checked, that's how many people had actually voted) is a very small number. So my question to you was, as you may be able to read in the post above yours, why you think so many people have viewed this thread without voting? Do you think that it might, possibly, just maybe, in a million years, be because some people aren't going to vote for any of these options on the basis that they're all bad choices?

Right back at you:) Yeah if you think 7 a year at UCONN is a bad choice youre probably a really strong elitist. If the OP wants NY they should have applied to other schools but of these three theres a very clear choice here!

Yes, my desire to make sure that people actually have jobs as lawyers when they graduate law school is elitist. I'm so damn elitist.

You are so damn hung up on everyone going to school right now at this very minute (that's projecting, by the way, so see someone about that) that you're ignoring your own reasoning. The OP should have applied to NYC schools. The OP still can apply to those schools for the next cycle.

Anyway, the point about the votes in the poll is clearly lost on you, since you haven't substantively responded to it. OP: go to UCONN if you don't want to have even a remote chance at doing what you said you want to do.

poptart123

Silver

Postby poptart123 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:45 am

guybourdin wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
lymenheimer wrote:

Actually when you posted that, it was 8 for UConn and 1 for Tulane. But yes...Polls are objectively the best metric of correctness and judging facts.

Why do i have the feeling this is about to get political?

It's not.

I asked my friend Donald and he said "American first," then he added, but if OP wants NYC, and trust me, nobody knows NYC like Donald, he has a lot of business in NYC, big businesses that are worth billions of dollars, he might be the greatest businessman in the city, then OP should choose none of the above.

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:56 am

Ferrisjso wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:UCONN's a no brainer here.

Yes, I agree that not using one's brain would result in choosing UCONN.

Do you ever read what people's career goals are? Or do you just tell them that they're doing great and to go out there and chase that dream?

It costs 7k a year, 21k in tuition(I get the sense we're not counting COA) versus 75k and 81k in tuition for peer schools. It really is a no brainer. Unlike some people I actually pick a choice. Otherwise we get a bunch of elitists running around giving the impression the situations theyre in are typical. I usually pay no mind to what kind of law people say they want because theres a good chance theyll change their mind in law school(except BL maybe for debt reasons) and i dont take the whole "know what you want to do" bit seriously. OP wanted to be in NY, then they should have applied to Cardozo, Brooklyn and Fordham the typical three choices of NY bound 0Ls. All i can do is tell him his best
choice among options given, and thats clearly UCONN. Not only are the other two more expensivee, one teaches Civil Law and his desire to go to AU seems to largely come from the "speciality rankings" that people on here indict time and time again as BS.

There are so many things wrong with this sentiment...

First, if you're going to base your advice on the assumption that the OP is going to change their mind, then you should recommend everyone go to John Marshall for free. Because everyone's going to change their mind, they might as well go to a trash heap of a school instead of getting a decent degree with mobility. You're apparently also ignoring where the OP wants to work, because UCONN won't place them back in NYC. And worst of all, you're ignoring that you do not have to always treat the options presented by every OP as the actual only options. There are always other options, including the best option of all in this case: retake and reapply.

Not sticking to the question is the biggest problem with this forum, people want answers not someone with different metrics of success telling them inaccurately in many cases their options are bad. So im going to always answer the question respectfully if i have something else to add, ill add it at the bottom. Like I said I have no idea why OP didnt apply to Fordham,Dozo and Brooklyn, they should have if they wanted NY but for whatever reason they didnt. I answered the question with the options given.

I dont know how my logic equals "everyone goes for free at John Marshall". That inference made no sense whatsoever. These options are objectively much better so dont know how that ties into "everyone changing their mind".

No this forum exists to give good advice. Terrible advice like yours is reserved for literally every other avenue of life. Everyone and their aunt will happily give bad advice on what law school to attend.

Hate to break it to you, my "terrible advice" won the poll in a landslide. The reason i continue in this futile exercise is because the name calling and negativity drives away anyone who wants to speak out against the consensus on here and therfore leaves Ols with the idea of an imaginary consenus when most people judging their options are looking down at then because theyre in a much better situation. Ive always said the consensus has good ideas and has its heart in the right place but you all just take it way to far.

Terrible rationale with the "my terrible advice won the poll". "Don't Go" wasn't even an option.

Return to “Choosing a Law School�