UConn or Tulane (possibly American?)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UConn, Tulane or American?

UConn
68%
Tulane
11%
American
21%

Total votes: 19

notsurewheretogo

New

UConn or Tulane (possibly American?)

Postby notsurewheretogo » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:45 pm

I'm from CT but go to school in Florida currently and I cannot decide between mostly UConn and Tulane. I've received scholarships from both but CT is $20,000 cheaper. Although Tulane has a higher reputation, their median private salaries are about the same and their stats show very few graduates leaving LA. I want to return back to the NY area to pursue IP or Patent law, hopefully with pharmaceutical/chemical companies. UConn is cheaper and in the area but its ratings have fallen and most of the graduates remain in CT, not heading to NY (although CT has many chemical/pharma companies too). The location is also an are alf concern as I feel Hartford does not sound like the most stimulating environment for three years. I am taking these two offers the most seriously with a half scholarship to American's Washington College of Law trailing behind. Although they are top 10 for IP, they have crashed in the rankings and my friends from the DC area said they do not have a good reputation there. The money issue is also larger due to the higher costs of living in DC.

UConn for 7g/year
Tulane for 27g/year
American for 25g/year

jjcorvino

Silver

Re: UConn or Tulane (possibly American?)

Postby jjcorvino » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:53 pm

None of those options are likely to get you back to New York. UConn is your best option.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Postby trebekismyhero » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:23 pm

notsurewheretogo wrote:I'm from CT but go to school in Florida currently and I cannot decide between mostly UConn and Tulane. I've received scholarships from both but CT is $20,000 cheaper. Although Tulane has a higher reputation, their median private salaries are about the same and their stats show very few graduates leaving LA. I want to return back to the NY area to pursue IP or Patent law, hopefully with pharmaceutical/chemical companies. UConn is cheaper and in the area but its ratings have fallen and most of the graduates remain in CT, not heading to NY (although CT has many chemical/pharma companies too). The location is also an are alf concern as I feel Hartford does not sound like the most stimulating environment for three years. I am taking these two offers the most seriously with a half scholarship to American's Washington College of Law trailing behind. Although they are top 10 for IP, they have crashed in the rankings and my friends from the DC area said they do not have a good reputation there. The money issue is also larger due to the higher costs of living in DC.

UConn for 7g/year
Tulane for 27g/year
American for 25g/year

American is terrible. Tulane is fine, but not for that price and especially if you want to be in NY. UConn is the only one financially that even comes close to making sense. Do you have a patent background? You talk about patent law, but if your undergrad major was a liberal arts degree it will be incredibly difficult to crack patent, especially from these schools.

You really should retake and not go to any of these right now

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:18 am

None of the above.

bmathers

Silver

Postby bmathers » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:07 am

Don't go to school in Louisiana if you want to leave Louisiana, and that rec is for more than the typical local market reasoning. Louisiana schools teach a different form of law than other states. That's why few grads leave the state.

Ferrisjso

Gold

Postby Ferrisjso » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:26 pm

UCONN's a no brainer here.

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:05 am

Ferrisjso wrote:UCONN's a no brainer here.

Yes, I agree that not using one's brain would result in choosing UCONN.

Do you ever read what people's career goals are? Or do you just tell them that they're doing great and to go out there and chase that dream?

Ferrisjso

Gold

Postby Ferrisjso » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:06 am

cavalier1138 wrote:

Do you ever read what people's career goals are? Or do you just tell them that they're doing great and to go out there and chase that dream?

It costs 7k a year, 21k in tuition(I get the sense we're not counting COA) versus 75k and 81k in tuition for peer schools. It really is a no brainer. Unlike some people I actually pick a choice. Otherwise we get a bunch of elitists running around giving the impression the situations theyre in are typical. I usually pay no mind to what kind of law people say they want because theres a good chance theyll change their mind in law school(except BL maybe for debt reasons) and i dont take the whole "know what you want to do" bit seriously. OP wanted to be in NY, then they should have applied to Cardozo, Brooklyn and Fordham the typical three choices of NY bound 0Ls. All i can do is tell him his best
choice among options given, and thats clearly UCONN. Not only are the other two more expensivee, one teaches Civil Law and his desire to go to AU seems to largely come from the "speciality rankings" that people on here indict time and time again as BS.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:08 am

UConn.. both because its cheaper, and its closer to NYC, where you want to end up.

edited to add: if you must go to one of these schools. and must go this year
Last edited by northwood on Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:12 am

Ferrisjso wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:

It costs 7k a year, 21k in tuition(I get the sense we're not counting COA) versus 75k and 81k in tuition for peer schools. It really is a no brainer. Unlike some people I actually pick a choice. Otherwise we get a bunch of elitists running around giving the impression the situations theyre in are typical. I usually pay no mind to what kind of law people say they want because theres a good chance theyll change their mind in law school(except BL maybe for debt reasons) and i dont take the whole "know what you want to do" bit seriously. OP wanted to be in NY, then they should have applied to Cardozo, Brooklyn and Fordham the typical three choices of NY bound 0Ls. All i can do is tell him his best
choice among options given, and thats clearly UCONN. Not only are the other two more expensivee, one teaches Civil Law and his desire to go to AU seems to largely come from the "speciality rankings" that people on here indict time and time again as BS.

There are so many things wrong with this sentiment...

First, if you're going to base your advice on the assumption that the OP is going to change their mind, then you should recommend everyone go to John Marshall for free. Because everyone's going to change their mind, they might as well go to a trash heap of a school instead of getting a decent degree with mobility. You're apparently also ignoring where the OP wants to work, because UCONN won't place them back in NYC. And worst of all, you're ignoring that you do not have to always treat the options presented by every OP as the actual only options. There are always other options, including the best option of all in this case: retake and reapply.

BigZuck

Diamond

Postby BigZuck » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:27 am

I think Tulane generally teaches common law, LSU is the one that focuses more on civil law from what I understand.

OP- You need to go back the the drawing board here because none of these are likely to get you where you want to go.

Ferrisjso

Gold

Postby Ferrisjso » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:33 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:

First, if you're going to base your advice on the assumption that the OP is going to change their mind, then you should recommend everyone go to John Marshall for free. Because everyone's going to change their mind, they might as well go to a trash heap of a school instead of getting a decent degree with mobility. You're apparently also ignoring where the OP wants to work, because UCONN won't place them back in NYC. And worst of all, you're ignoring that you do not have to always treat the options presented by every OP as the actual only options. There are always other options, including the best option of all in this case: retake and reapply.

Not sticking to the question is the biggest problem with this forum, people want answers not someone with different metrics of success telling them inaccurately in many cases their options are bad. So im going to always answer the question respectfully if i have something else to add, ill add it at the bottom. Like I said I have no idea why OP didnt apply to Fordham,Dozo and Brooklyn, they should have if they wanted NY but for whatever reason they didnt. I answered the question with the options given.

I dont know how my logic equals "everyone goes for free at John Marshall". That inference made no sense whatsoever. These options are objectively much better so dont know how that ties into "everyone changing their mind".

BigZuck

Diamond

Postby BigZuck » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:45 am

Ferrisjso wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:

Not sticking to the question is the biggest problem with this forum, people want answers not someone with different metrics of success telling them inaccurately in many cases their options are bad. So im going to always answer the question respectfully if i have something else to add, ill add it at the bottom. Like I said I have no idea why OP didnt apply to Fordham,Dozo and Brooklyn, they should have if they wanted NY but for whatever reason they didnt. I answered the question with the options given.

I dont know how my logic equals "everyone goes for free at John Marshall". That inference made no sense whatsoever. These options are objectively much better so dont know how that ties into "everyone changing their mind".

No this forum exists to give good advice. Terrible advice like yours is reserved for literally every other avenue of life. Everyone and their aunt will happily give bad advice on what law school to attend.

Ferrisjso

Gold

Postby Ferrisjso » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:03 pm

BigZuck wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:

No this forum exists to give good advice. Terrible advice like yours is reserved for literally every other avenue of life. Everyone and their aunt will happily give bad advice on what law school to attend.

Hate to break it to you, my "terrible advice" won the poll in a landslide. The reason i continue in this futile exercise is because the name calling and negativity drives away anyone who wants to speak out against the consensus on here and therfore leaves Ols with the idea of an imaginary consenus when most people judging their options are looking down at then because theyre in a much better situation. Ive always said the consensus has good ideas and has its heart in the right place but you all just take it way to far.

guynourmin

Gold

Postby guynourmin » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:07 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:

There are plenty of other echo chambers you can find around the internet that will tell you and OP to go to Uconn. You can continue to do you, but I believe this forum will continue to push back on your terrible advice because it is almost all terrible advice. Outside of a scantron test like the LSAT, you never have to answer a question strictly within the confines of how the author presents it. You should know that by now. Answer the question how you want to answer it. If the right answer isn't available, write it in the margins.

lymenheimer

Gold

Postby lymenheimer » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:16 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:Hate to break it to you, my "terrible advice" won the poll in a landslide.

:lol: You and your statistics.

BigZuck

Diamond

Postby BigZuck » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:24 pm

I went ahead and voted American just because I couldn't find the "None of the above" option and I like to click buttons.

jjcorvino

Silver

Postby jjcorvino » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:31 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:

Hate to break it to you, my "terrible advice" won the poll in a landslide. The reason i continue in this futile exercise is because the name calling and negativity drives away anyone who wants to speak out against the consensus on here and therfore leaves Ols with the idea of an imaginary consenus when most people judging their options are looking down at then because theyre in a much better situation. Ive always said the consensus has good ideas and has its heart in the right place but you all just take it way to far.

I appreciate that you are giving answers to the question, but why not qualify your answer when you know that that choice will not give the person the chance to reach their goals? You could say, "none of these are good options for your goals, but out of the choices Uconn is a no brainer". That would both answer the question and be good advice.

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:08 pm

lymenheimer wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:Hate to break it to you, my "terrible advice" won the poll in a landslide.

:lol: You and your statistics.

I love that a poll with about 12 votes is now strong evidence of opinions on this site...

@Ferrisjso: you know that this thread has a lot more than 12 views and replies, right? So what do you think that indicates about the number of people who think that one of these options is a viable choice?

Ferrisjso

Gold

Postby Ferrisjso » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:55 pm

First off it wasnt just a landslide it was almost unanimous(and the only vote for AU admitted his vote wasnt guenine bur rather because he enjoyed pressing voting buttons). Point is
Its hard to say my advice here was "terrible" when almost everyone in the poll agreed with me. 21k total tuition at UCONN is a good outcome.

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:19 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:First off it wasnt just a landslide it was almost unanimous(and the only vote for AU admitted his vote wasnt guenine bur rather because he enjoyed pressing voting buttons). Point is
Its hard to say my advice here was "terrible" when almost everyone in the poll agreed with me. 21k total tuition at UCONN is a good outcome.

Honestly it's like talking (or typing) to a brick wall.

The point is that 14 or 15 people (last I checked, that's how many people had actually voted) is a very small number. So my question to you was, as you may be able to read in the post above yours, why you think so many people have viewed this thread without voting? Do you think that it might, possibly, just maybe, in a million years, be because some people aren't going to vote for any of these options on the basis that they're all bad choices?

Ferrisjso

Gold

Postby Ferrisjso » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:26 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:First off it wasnt just a landslide it was almost unanimous(and the only vote for AU admitted his vote wasnt guenine bur rather because he enjoyed pressing voting buttons). Point is

Honestly it's like talking (or typing) to a brick wall.

The point is that 14 or 15 people (last I checked, that's how many people had actually voted) is a very small number. So my question to you was, as you may be able to read in the post above yours, why you think so many people have viewed this thread without voting? Do you think that it might, possibly, just maybe, in a million years, be because some people aren't going to vote for any of these options on the basis that they're all bad choices?

Right back at you:) Yeah if you think 7 a year at UCONN is a bad choice youre probably a really strong elitist. If the OP wants NY they should have applied to other schools but of these three theres a very clear choice here!
Last edited by Ferrisjso on Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lymenheimer

Gold

Postby lymenheimer » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:27 pm

Actually when you posted that, it was 8 for UConn and 1 for Tulane. But yes...Polls are objectively the best metric of correctness and judging facts.

Ferrisjso

Gold

Postby Ferrisjso » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:28 pm

lymenheimer wrote:

Actually when you posted that, it was 8 for UConn and 1 for Tulane. But yes...Polls are objectively the best metric of correctness and judging facts.

Why do i have the feeling this is about to get political?

T3TON

New

Postby T3TON » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:36 pm

Ferrisjso wrote: Not sticking to the question is the biggest problem with this forum, people want answers not someone with different metrics of success telling them inaccurately in many cases their options are bad. So im going to always answer the question respectfully if i have something else to add, ill add it at the bottom. Like I said I have no idea why OP didnt apply to Fordham,Dozo and Brooklyn, they should have if they wanted NY but for whatever reason they didnt. I answered the question with the options given.

If someone were to ask you "which is the better way of getting to the moon: a bicycle or a helicopter" would your answer be "helicopter"?

Return to “Choosing a Law School�