QU v Cardozo(Ferrisjso's decision)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
AJordan

Bronze
Posts: 408
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:48 am

Re: UCONN v Cardozo(Ferrisjso's decision)

Postby AJordan » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:59 am

Still, if we keep him from going to law school this is probably one of the most successful TLS threads of all time.

User avatar
Johann

Diamond
Posts: 19702
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:25 pm

Re: UCONN v Cardozo(Ferrisjso's decision)

Postby Johann » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:21 am

Ferrisjso wrote:Leaning towards Dozo and attempting to get employment in CT from there. How difficult is it to crack other states from regional schools?


not that hard if youre barred there and can spin some ties in an interview so you arent deemed a flight risk. conn is gonna be easy from nyc.

User avatar
Johann

Diamond
Posts: 19702
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:25 pm

Re: UCONN v Cardozo(Ferrisjso's decision)

Postby Johann » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:27 am

guybourdin wrote:
snw2367 wrote:
bitter_melon wrote:Honestly man, after reading a good deal of this thread, I'm wondering if you've considered trying to go into the air force or navy for a few years? It would probably bring you closer to your actual goals than law school would, and they might teach you how to drive if you ask nicely.


There is a big movement right now to get veterans into politics!! There was an NPR episode on it!!


and Pod Save America had Seth Moulton, a vet turned congressman, on recently. Ferris, this definitely is not a kill yourself rec. Obviously joining the armed services is a huge undertaking, but its a decent recommendation.


when people talk about financially risky decisions and then recommend life threatening risky decisions . . . :shock: :roll:
i know it works out for some people in hindsight, but i dont think anyone can "recommend" someone join the armed forces in any situation in good conscience. please do not do that ferris.

User avatar
BlendedUnicorn

Platinum
Posts: 9320
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:40 pm

Re: UCONN v Cardozo(Ferrisjso's decision)

Postby BlendedUnicorn » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:27 am

Johann wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
snw2367 wrote:
bitter_melon wrote:Honestly man, after reading a good deal of this thread, I'm wondering if you've considered trying to go into the air force or navy for a few years? It would probably bring you closer to your actual goals than law school would, and they might teach you how to drive if you ask nicely.


There is a big movement right now to get veterans into politics!! There was an NPR episode on it!!


and Pod Save America had Seth Moulton, a vet turned congressman, on recently. Ferris, this definitely is not a kill yourself rec. Obviously joining the armed services is a huge undertaking, but its a decent recommendation.


when people talk about financially risky decisions and then recommend life threatening risky decisions . . . :shock: :roll:
i know it works out for some people in hindsight, but i dont think anyone can "recommend" someone join the armed forces in any situation in good conscience. please do not do that ferris.


Depending on the job he picks the odds that he kills himself because he went to a shit law school are probably higher than the odds of dying in the armed forcees. Armed forces is a phenomenal deal for people who want to go to law school and it's good life experience generally. There's an element of risk to it, but unless you're infantry or SOF or something similar it's really not all that high.

User avatar
pancakes3

Platinum
Posts: 6623
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:49 pm

Re: UCONN v Cardozo(Ferrisjso's decision)

Postby pancakes3 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:17 am

OCS has been suggested more than once, and I didn't even read the first 20 pages of this thread.

OTOH, do you really want Ferris to be an officer? or a politician? I'm convinced the guy is a lemon and TLS should let him do him instead of giving advice to help him obtain statuses that he's not qualified for.

User avatar
Dcc617

Gold
Posts: 2322
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:01 pm

Re: UCONN v Cardozo(Ferrisjso's decision)

Postby Dcc617 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:23 am

pancakes3 wrote:OCS has been suggested more than once, and I didn't even read the first 20 pages of this thread.

OTOH, do you really want Ferris to be an officer? or a politician? I'm convinced the guy is a lemon and TLS should let him do him instead of giving advice to help him obtain statuses that he's not qualified for.


There are some pretty awful officers in the military. If he listens and tries he'll be top half, even if he sucks.

cavalier1138

Gold
Posts: 4954
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: UCONN v Cardozo(Ferrisjso's decision)

Postby cavalier1138 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:07 pm

Dcc617 wrote:There are some pretty awful officers in the military. If he listens and tries he'll be top half, even if he sucks.


That seems like a pretty big ask.

User avatar
circle.the.wagons

Bronze
Posts: 140
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:22 pm

Re: UCONN v Cardozo(Ferrisjso's decision)

Postby circle.the.wagons » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:28 pm

I can't believe I'm actually posting in this thread, but is there a strong consensus that Dozo can't get you into Connecticut? I know it can get you westchester, so Conn seems easily doable.

On that note, why not consider westchester? It should be pretty close to Conn, lifestyle wise.

User avatar
Ferrisjso

Gold
Posts: 2149
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:40 pm

Re: UCONN v Cardozo(Ferrisjso's decision)

Postby Ferrisjso » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:43 am

FYI im not interested in the military. I just brought up how i was considering JA at one point.

Also went to UCONN for ASD and while i liked the school i came to the conclusion it was not worth the financial sacrifices id have to make to go(if they give me more money im willing to change my mind maybe but im pretty sure that will not be happening).Its either QU, Dozo or dont go at this point.

cavalier1138

Gold
Posts: 4954
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: UCONN v Cardozo(Ferrisjso's decision)

Postby cavalier1138 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:46 am

Ferrisjso wrote:FYI im not interested in the military. I just brought up how i was considering JA at one point.

Also went to UCONN for ASD and while i liked the school i came to the conclusion it was not worth the financial sacrifices id have to make to go. Its either QU, Dozo or dont go at this point.


You're not interested in the military, but you're considering going into the military?

Here are your options in order from best to worst:

1) Don't go to law school.
.
.
.
27) Go to Cardozo.
.
.
.
1,275,389) Go to QU.

User avatar
Jack_Kelly

Silver
Posts: 900
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:52 am

Re: UCONN v Cardozo(Ferrisjso's decision)

Postby Jack_Kelly » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:30 pm

How on earth is Quinnipiac in play? Must be one hell of an email address.

User avatar
Ferrisjso

Gold
Posts: 2149
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:40 pm

Re: UCONN v Cardozo(Ferrisjso's decision)

Postby Ferrisjso » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:45 pm

Jack_Kelly wrote:How on earth is Quinnipiac in play? Must be one hell of an email address.


It's my cheapest option and it's in the market I want to practice/live in. They did remove the stips if that info got lost in the 20+pages of the thread, so I got almost a full ride. The gap in cost between QU and Cardozo had increased since I've decided that If I go to Cardozo I will be getting housing for 1L because of how vital 1L grades are to future employment(I do not believe I will be able to do my best commuting to and fro).
Last edited by Ferrisjso on Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rigo

Diamond
Posts: 16642
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: UCONN v Cardozo(Ferrisjso's decision)

Postby Rigo » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:46 pm

Jack_Kelly wrote:How on earth is Quinnipiac in play? Must be one hell of an email address.

Alma mater & in heaven Connecticut.

User avatar
Shakawkaw

Gold
Posts: 4807
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:15 pm

Re: UCONN v Cardozo(Ferrisjso's decision)

Postby Shakawkaw » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:59 pm

Idk, if a 30 minute commute is going to be the tipping point for you failing or passing a class, maybe you're not being totally realistic with yourself.

User avatar
Ferrisjso

Gold
Posts: 2149
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:40 pm

Re: UCONN v Cardozo(Ferrisjso's decision)

Postby Ferrisjso » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:41 pm

Shakawkaw wrote:Idk, if a 30 minute commute is going to be the tipping point for you failing or passing a class, maybe you're not being totally realistic with yourself.


Itd be more like an hour. Thats also not what im worried about. Im more worried about the commute back( much easier to catch trains in then out for some reasons too tedious to explain) and having a quiet peaceful environment to study during the middle of the night(im a night own as far as studying goes). I know it sounds trivial but i know it will effect me and i know how important 1L grades are. I also know im willing to take out the 20k itd cost in loans. Also if the plan doesnt work out in semester 1 maybe i can bail for semester 2.

Also im worried about class rank due to its importance for job placement(and because im competitive as hell) not because i think it will make the difference between passing and failing.

Rigo

Diamond
Posts: 16642
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: UCONN v Cardozo(Ferrisjso's decision)

Postby Rigo » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:01 am

Sounds good to me ferris. If living at home and commuting will negatively impact your 1L studying, definitely get your own place. In many ways it will be the most important and determinative year of your life.

BigZuck

Diamond
Posts: 11731
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: UCONN v Cardozo(Ferrisjso's decision)

Postby BigZuck » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:14 am

Wait why would getting good grades matter? What kind of job are you hoping to get?

Nebby

Diamond
Posts: 31199
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: UCONN v Cardozo(Ferrisjso's decision)

Postby Nebby » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:35 am

I think with proper time management skills your commute should have no effect on your ability to study well, but you do you

cavalier1138

Gold
Posts: 4954
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: UCONN v Cardozo(Ferrisjso's decision)

Postby cavalier1138 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:01 am

Ferrisjso wrote:Also im worried about class rank due to its importance for job placement(and because im competitive as hell) not because i think it will make the difference between passing and failing.


But I thought you weren't aiming for positions that required a high class rank at these schools...

User avatar
Ferrisjso

Gold
Posts: 2149
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:40 pm

Re: UCONN v Cardozo(Ferrisjso's decision)

Postby Ferrisjso » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:44 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:Also im worried about class rank due to its importance for job placement(and because im competitive as hell) not because i think it will make the difference between passing and failing.


But I thought you weren't aiming for positions that required a high class rank at these schools...


Something tells me clerkships requires a high class rank. Aren't you the one who keeps pointing out how alot of people at TT's and TTT's can't become lawyers I want to avoid that outcome thank you. I also would drive myself nuts without the structured sense of competition that grades provide. Also are you saying that non BL/FC jobs don't look at your 1L grades?

User avatar
Dcc617

Gold
Posts: 2322
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:01 pm

Re: UCONN v Cardozo(Ferrisjso's decision)

Postby Dcc617 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:47 am

Ferrisjso wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:Also im worried about class rank due to its importance for job placement(and because im competitive as hell) not because i think it will make the difference between passing and failing.


But I thought you weren't aiming for positions that required a high class rank at these schools...


Something tells me clerkships requires a high class rank. Aren't you the one who keeps pointing out how alot of people at TT's and TTT's can't become lawyers I want to avoid that outcome thank you. I also would drive myself nuts without the structured sense of competition that grades provide. Also are you saying that non BL/FC jobs don't look at your 1L grades?


The odds are very slim for getting a clerkship from uconn. And effectively non existent from Quinnipiac.

cavalier1138

Gold
Posts: 4954
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: UCONN v Cardozo(Ferrisjso's decision)

Postby cavalier1138 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:07 am

Ferrisjso wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:Also im worried about class rank due to its importance for job placement(and because im competitive as hell) not because i think it will make the difference between passing and failing.


But I thought you weren't aiming for positions that required a high class rank at these schools...


Something tells me clerkships requires a high class rank. Aren't you the one who keeps pointing out how alot of people at TT's and TTT's can't become lawyers I want to avoid that outcome thank you. I also would drive myself nuts without the structured sense of competition that grades provide. Also are you saying that non BL/FC jobs don't look at your 1L grades?


I'm saying that you won't get a federal clerkship from any of these schools, and now I'm going to direct you to any one of a few dozen lectures on this site about why you shouldn't be picking schools based on your perception of how "competitive" class ranking is. You can't plan on being at the top of your class at any school, and you should be assessing job prospects from these schools based on the outcomes for students at median.

If you want to avoid the possibility of not being a lawyer after school (which is weird, since you don't actually want to be a lawyer), then you should go to a school where you aren't taking that risk.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond
Posts: 29316
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: UCONN v Cardozo(Ferrisjso's decision)

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:21 am

Ferrisjso wrote:I also would drive myself nuts without the structured sense of competition that grades provide.

This is a really really unhealthy mindset. Grades are one person's assessment based on a 3-hr performance on one day of your life. You shouldn't use them as a measurement of anything.

cavalier1138

Gold
Posts: 4954
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: UCONN v Cardozo(Ferrisjso's decision)

Postby cavalier1138 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:25 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:I also would drive myself nuts without the structured sense of competition that grades provide.

This is a really really unhealthy mindset. Grades are one person's assessment based on a 3-hr performance on one day of your life. You shouldn't use them as a measurement of anything.


And this.

This also goes to the general argument for taking some time to work and experience real life. You'll get a sense of yourself that isn't defined by teacher assessments or your perceived performance in academia, and that's going to be a net positive for your mental health and maturity. The students who come to law school defining themselves by their grades tend to have minor-to-major breakdowns after the first semester.

User avatar
pancakes3

Platinum
Posts: 6623
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:49 pm

Re: UCONN v Cardozo(Ferrisjso's decision)

Postby pancakes3 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:05 am

lol. i'm competitive as hell but fuck a retake and fuck TLS's prestige-whoring. now where should i clerk? SDNY or DDC?



Return to “Choosing a Law School?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests