QU v Cardozo(Ferrisjso's decision)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Rigo

Diamond

Re: UCONN v Cardozo(Ferrisjso's decision)

Postby Rigo » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:47 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
Jack_Kelly wrote:Why not practice in NY but not NYC? Am I missing something here? NYC has more lawyers than the rest of the state but it's not like the rest has none. It would entail learning to drive unless it was another big city, but like, from the right part of New York, commuting from Connecticut is not impossible.

Actually, if Ferris likes Connecticut, he may be in that weird segment of the population that likes upstate NY.

If only it were more fertile ground for a political rise.

guynourmin

Gold

Postby guynourmin » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:49 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
Jack_Kelly wrote:Why not practice in NY but not NYC? Am I missing something here? NYC has more lawyers than the rest of the state but it's not like the rest has none. It would entail learning to drive unless it was another big city, but like, from the right part of New York, commuting from Connecticut is not impossible.

Actually, if Ferris likes Connecticut, he may be in that weird segment of the population that likes upstate NY.

I think a lot of people like Upstate NY. Isn't Dozo a little more regional than that, though? Upstate NY isn't exactly lacking TTs

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:54 am

guybourdin wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:

I think a lot of people like Upstate NY. Isn't Dozo a little more regional than that, though? Upstate NY isn't exactly lacking TTs

Aren't there only 3? (Syracuse, Buffalo, Albany)

Cardozo is definitely the best school out of the 4, but I'm curious as to how insular the upstate NY market is. Would they take a Cardozo grad over a "oh hey, it's Mitch's nephew who graduate from Albany!"?

mjb447

Silver

Postby mjb447 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:02 pm

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:

Aren't there only 3? (Syracuse, Buffalo, Albany)

Cardozo is definitely the best school out of the 4, but I'm curious as to how insular the upstate NY market is. Would they take a Cardozo grad over a "oh hey, it's Mitch's nephew who graduate from Albany!"?

I have some familiarity with upstate New York legal hiring. Mitch's nephew, or some qualified local grad, gets the job almost every time unless the Cardozo grad also has ties.

pancakes3

Platinum

Postby pancakes3 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:08 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:
pancakes3 wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:I know it's difficult don't get me wrong. The how difficult part is the issue here because Cardozo's the best choice financially and I want to live in CT why not try to balance it?

it's a serious uphill battle. I wouldn't say its impossible, but I 100% believe you would be more likely to be employed in CT by the end of 2021 if you retook and went to UCONN. That is, you could end up unemployed for over a year if you go to Dozo and gun for CT.

Take this with a grain of salt due to self-selection but here's Cardozo's ABA employment stats, just to show give you a picture of how hard it is.

For 2015 Cardozo grades, the top 3 states looked like this.

1. New York - 255
2. New Jersey - 26
3. Florida - 4

this shit took like 5 seconds to find. ferris should be able to find it, even as a 0L. he's either not willing or not able to find this stuff out and not willing or not able to understand the advice given.

let the dude dig his own debt-grave guys.

Believe it or not i can read a 509 and the employment reports! I am aware that Dozo places almost exclusively in NY, however i think we all know most of thats self selection inwas asking avout tge difficulty of breaking the CT market so dont make it out like i havent done my homework just so you can sound all high and mighty i have read both 509s amd know both schools are regional.

If you know that the schools are regional, and you know that there were no CT practitioners out of a class of 300, and you know about 509 reports etc. then how is this thread 27 pages?

I apologize for sounding high and mighty, but attending law school is a difficult PERSONAL decision. The parameters with how you choose aren't difficult. Cost, employment prospects, placement, etc. You have all the information. You dragging your feet on it, and baiting well-meaning posters on this board to engage is dumb and shitty.

guynourmin

Gold

Postby guynourmin » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:31 pm

pancakes3 wrote:
I apologize for sounding high and mighty

you know the spirit of his question, though, right? It seems simple enough to me: are schools really THAT regional, or is it self-selection. If it is self-selection, could I hustle hard enough at Dozo to get a job in CT. the answer to that is obviously yes, but probably not. There were 65 grads from Uconn/QU last year who were not in ft/lt jd req/advantage positions 9 months after graduation. and they were in CT full time trying to get work! its likely you fall into that category if you go to Dozo and focus on CT. It is possible you don't fall into that category, but it seems likely you do.

bitter_melon

Bronze

Postby bitter_melon » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:24 pm

I currently work as a paralegal for a law firm based in a small "upstate" NY city that is closer to being part of the NYC suburb community than it is to being its one separate city. Think of Stamford, Port Chester, White Plains, New Rochelle, etc. You don't necessarily have to drive if you want to work here, it would just help a lot. All of my coworkers commute by car but you can get around via the bike/train/walking if you really need to.

Legallylawyer2020

Bronze

Postby Legallylawyer2020 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:46 pm

bitter_melon wrote:

I currently work as a paralegal for a law firm based in a small "upstate" NY city that is closer to being part of the NYC suburb community than it is to being its one separate city. Think of Stamford, Port Chester, White Plains, New Rochelle, etc. You don't necessarily have to drive if you want to work here, it would just help a lot. All of my coworkers commute by car but you can get around via the bike/train/walking if you really need to.

None of those places are upstate NY. The last three are in Westchester which is a NYC suburb. Upstate NY begins north of Westchester County. Sorry for the nit pickiness, but that's a pet peeve of mine. Anyway, any of the NYC schools can place you in Westchester, parts of which do have a CT feel (but new Canaan-esque not Bridgeport-esque). If you're ok with Westchester environment than Cardozo is the right choice. Though, I don't know many people that survive living in Westchester without a car. The ones that do have expendable income they can spend on uber and taxis.

bitter_melon

Bronze

Postby bitter_melon » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:54 pm

Legallylawyer2020 wrote:
bitter_melon wrote:

None of those places are upstate NY. The last three are in Westchester which is a NYC suburb. Upstate NY begins north of Westchester County. Sorry for the nit pickiness, but that's a pet peeve of mine. Anyway, any of the NYC schools can place you in Westchester, parts of which do have a CT feel (but new Canaan-esque not Bridgeport-esque). If you're ok with Westchester environment than Cardozo is the right choice. Though, I don't know many people that survive living in Westchester without a car. The ones that do have expendable income they can spend on uber and taxis.

Yeah I don't describe Westchester as being upstate either, just saying that there are NYS markets that aren't NYC.

Legallylawyer2020

Bronze

Postby Legallylawyer2020 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:58 pm

bitter_melon wrote:
Legallylawyer2020 wrote:
bitter_melon wrote:

Yeah I don't describe Westchester as being upstate either, just saying that there are NYS markets that aren't NYC.

I agree! I think the problem is that I'm not sure there are good legal jobs in other NY markets that would allow Ferris to service his debt well.

pancakes3

Platinum

Postby pancakes3 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:17 pm

guybourdin wrote:
pancakes3 wrote:

you know the spirit of his question, though, right? It seems simple enough to me: are schools really THAT regional, or is it self-selection. If it is self-selection, could I hustle hard enough at Dozo to get a job in CT. the answer to that is obviously yes, but probably not. There were 65 grads from Uconn/QU last year who were not in ft/lt jd req/advantage positions 9 months after graduation. and they were in CT full time trying to get work! its likely you fall into that category if you go to Dozo and focus on CT. It is possible you don't fall into that category, but it seems likely you do.

what the fuck are you talking about?

Ferrisjso

Gold

Postby Ferrisjso » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:04 pm

beforethelaw wrote:
Shakawkaw wrote:Ferris, I think you're also forgetting that your environment is what you make of it. I had a huge falling out with my family senior year of college (I went to school in a different state), so it was hard to move back to NYC and deal with that shit. What I did learn is that a lot of the time, you're in control (barring unforeseeable circumstances outside of your obvious control). You can control the toxicity of your environment by removing negative people and adding whoever you want. While I do think you would be doing yourself a great service by taking a few years off and really figuring out what you want to do, I don't think you should be writing off an affordable option because of a potentially toxic environment. At the end of the day, NYC as a person under 22 is a lot different than it is when you're older and on your own. You might end up really liking it and growing as a person. At least with Cardozo, you're giving yourself some options of mobility. If you do UConn or QU, you're going to be stuck. I'm sure if you wanted a job in CT afterwards, especially in politics or government, I can see how using ties to CT can help you get there. Also a shit ton of people retire in CT, I'm sure you can find an old alum to help you out.

I think this is good advice if the only thing you don't like about NYC is the social environment. If on the other hand you are sick of being in a massive city surrounded by skyscrapers it's different.

Do you mind being more specific about why you don't like NY? I think this is a critical point here. If it is something you could never move beyond, then it sounds like the best move is to shoot for UCONN next year (or this year if you absolutely have to).

Additionally, if you just want to (and have to) get out of NYC, maybe consider applying to some other T2s this cycle? I know it's late, but you could also retake the June lsat. If you don't improve in June, then just go this year or forget law school. If you do improve you may get better offers from schools that have already waitlisted or accepted you. If you improve and dont get better offers, reapply next cycle.

I am sick of both, I really dislike Manhattan in general although Cardozo is near my favorite part of NYC. Absolutely love hanging out near the water in NYC. Yeah with Manhattan it's more the skyscrapers and the sheer amount of people but for the rest of NYC it's more I just want to escape my life. Thanks for your question I should have been more clear. I'm aware Cardozo gives me options of mobility but I don't really like using PT to get places every day(I'd prefer walking a few miles if I had to choose) and even if I stay in NYC I wouldn't want to stay in Manhattan long term. If I go in CT I'm going to try and get a license in NY first because they don't force people to drive on the highway. Thanks for your insight on trying to get into CT from Dozo I appreciate it. You've been one of the most helpful people on this thread same with Rigo and that other poster who's name escapes me.

Ferrisjso

Gold

Postby Ferrisjso » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:05 pm

pancakes3 wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
pancakes3 wrote:

what the fuck are you talking about?

That is exactly what I was asking.

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:16 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:
beforethelaw wrote:
Shakawkaw wrote:Ferris, I think you're also forgetting that your environment is what you make of it. I had a huge falling out with my family senior year of college (I went to school in a different state), so it was hard to move back to NYC and deal with that shit. What I did learn is that a lot of the time, you're in control (barring unforeseeable circumstances outside of your obvious control). You can control the toxicity of your environment by removing negative people and adding whoever you want. While I do think you would be doing yourself a great service by taking a few years off and really figuring out what you want to do, I don't think you should be writing off an affordable option because of a potentially toxic environment. At the end of the day, NYC as a person under 22 is a lot different than it is when you're older and on your own. You might end up really liking it and growing as a person. At least with Cardozo, you're giving yourself some options of mobility. If you do UConn or QU, you're going to be stuck. I'm sure if you wanted a job in CT afterwards, especially in politics or government, I can see how using ties to CT can help you get there. Also a shit ton of people retire in CT, I'm sure you can find an old alum to help you out.

I think this is good advice if the only thing you don't like about NYC is the social environment. If on the other hand you are sick of being in a massive city surrounded by skyscrapers it's different.

Do you mind being more specific about why you don't like NY? I think this is a critical point here. If it is something you could never move beyond, then it sounds like the best move is to shoot for UCONN next year (or this year if you absolutely have to).

Additionally, if you just want to (and have to) get out of NYC, maybe consider applying to some other T2s this cycle? I know it's late, but you could also retake the June lsat. If you don't improve in June, then just go this year or forget law school. If you do improve you may get better offers from schools that have already waitlisted or accepted you. If you improve and dont get better offers, reapply next cycle.

I am sick of both, I really dislike Manhattan in general although Cardozo is near my favorite part of NYC. Absolutely love hanging out near the water in NYC. Yeah with Manhattan it's more the skyscrapers and the sheer amount of people but for the rest of NYC it's more I just want to escape my life. Thanks for your question I should have been more clear. I'm aware Cardozo gives me options of mobility but I don't really like using PT to get places every day(I'd prefer walking a few miles if I had to choose) and even if I stay in NYC I wouldn't want to stay in Manhattan long term. If I go in CT I'm going to try and get a license in NY first because they don't force people to drive on the highway. Thanks for your insight on trying to get into CT from Dozo I appreciate it. You've been one of the most helpful people on this thread same with Rigo and that other poster who's name escapes me.

This is so ridiculous. So youre planning on walking/PTing everywhere (while living in CT) for the rest of your life until you can afford to Uber everywhere??

Pragmatic Gun

Silver

Postby Pragmatic Gun » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:17 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:
beforethelaw wrote:

I don't think law school and becoming a lawyer will solve your problems. Consider moving to Connecticut and working there for a while. Go to craigslist and beginning looking for jobs.

Ferrisjso

Gold

Postby Ferrisjso » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:20 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:
beforethelaw wrote:

This is so ridiculous. So youre planning on walking/PTing everywhere (while living in CT) for the rest of your life until you can afford to Uber everywhere??

You highlighted a sentence where I said I was going to get a license this comment makes no sense.

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:21 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
beforethelaw wrote:

You highlighted a sentence where I said I was going to get a license this comment makes no sense.

So you would rather drive local in NYC than drive on highways in CT. You seem a little confused.

*I thought you meant law license lol

Ferrisjso

Gold

Postby Ferrisjso » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:44 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
beforethelaw wrote:

So you would rather drive local in NYC than drive on highways in CT. You seem a little confused.

Lmfao about the license thing.

No, you misunderstood. I'd rather drive local in CT, but apparently in CT they force you to drive on highways to get your license(which anywhere is a deal breaker for me because I just am not capable of doing that) where in NY they don't, so to get the license I need to get it in NY before LS.

Pragmatic Gun

Silver

Postby Pragmatic Gun » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:45 pm

Isn't Connecticut mostly highway though? I mean, I don't understand. You're going to have to drive on a highway eventually. Unless you want to drive in the same city and suburb forever. Come on, dude, think about it.

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:46 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:

Lmfao about the license thing.

No, you misunderstood. I'd rather drive local in CT, but apparently in CT they force you to drive on highways to get your license(which anywhere is a deal breaker for me because I just am not capable of doing that) where in NY they don't, so to get the license I need to get it in NY before LS.

Gotcha, but Ferris...you took the LSAT. And I'll guarantee that that is a far more daunting experience than the road test haha

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:15 pm

Highway driving is way less stressful than city driving anyways imo.

BlendedUnicorn

Platinum

Postby BlendedUnicorn » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:21 pm

Rigo wrote:Highway driving is way less stressful than city driving anyways imo.

Yeah how the fuck is this even a thing. Highway driving is the best driving and city driving is the worst.

snw2367

New

Postby snw2367 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:24 pm

Pragmatic Gun wrote:Isn't Connecticut mostly highway though? I mean, I don't understand. You're going to have to drive on a highway eventually. Unless you want to drive in the same city and suburb forever. Come on, dude, think about it.

Mostly this. Granted CT is one big NYC suburb :D

Although, I didn't have to drive on the highway to get my license so I'm unsure where he heard it was a must-do for the test. Unless they changed regulations

Pragmatic Gun

Silver

Postby Pragmatic Gun » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:25 pm

HuntedUnicorn wrote:
Rigo wrote:Highway driving is way less stressful than city driving anyways imo.

Yeah how the fuck is this even a thing. Highway driving is the best driving and city driving is the worst.

Agreed. Perhaps the idea that one drives at a high speed is unnerving, but one becomes quickly accustomed to it.

Pragmatic Gun

Silver

Postby Pragmatic Gun » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:26 pm

Ferris, can you just admit that you're jerking us about with these issues you continue to bring up? I sense you see law school as a way to escape NYC. There are other ways to do that, bro.

Return to “Choosing a Law School?