QU v Cardozo(Ferrisjso's decision)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Re: UCONN v Cardozo(Ferrisjso's decision)

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:21 pm

Rigo wrote:
Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:
Rigo wrote:Yeah I think ferris is very misguided in his affinity for CT and he doesn't have a real plan for a legal career or to address his transportation issues. I do not think he should go to law school at all. That being said, his dislike of NYC is the main reason that he's flailing about and considering subpar options so he won't have to return to NYC even though Cardozo is the more affordable (without sacrificing outcomes) option and would allow him to forgo learning to drive and getting a car.

I don't think ferris is going to get his desired outcome from any law school because bottom line he doesn't want to be a lawyer and is using law school as nothing more than a way to put off the struggles of adulthood and as a perceived stepping stone into politics.

Not going to UConn shouldn't mean going to Cardozo, it should mean not going to law school at all in the fall.

Im rooting for you ferris, but I think you lack the necessary maturity and wisdom to go to law school. You should take a step back and not go instead of trying to determine which is the least bad of bad options.

This is exactly what we've been saying until page 20, when everyone kind of gave up.

Like I said, it's Fifty First Dates but if Drew Barrymore never figured shit out every single day.

Let me just write my own lil recap of the 20 pages, mannnn.
I just don't think the course correction for 20 pages of NOT UCONN should be Cardozo if he's clearly going to be miserable. I'd probably vote going to UConn with a positive and hopeful attitude than going to Cardozo dejected.

I just feel uneasy about all of this in general so add an implied :? to all my posts ITT.

Haha I completely agree with that but I think everyone here has been saying "Either suck it up and go to Cardozo, or don't go to law school at all (since his other options aren't really viable and his career goals don't really require law school)."

Pragmatic Gun

Silver

Postby Pragmatic Gun » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:24 pm

Rigo wrote:
Rigo wrote:Yeah I think ferris is very misguided in his affinity for CT and he doesn't have a real plan for a legal career or to address his transportation issues. I do not think he should go to law school at all. That being said, his dislike of NYC is the main reason that he's flailing about and considering subpar options so he won't have to return to NYC even though Cardozo is the more affordable (without sacrificing outcomes) option and would allow him to forgo learning to drive and getting a car.

I don't think ferris is going to get his desired outcome from any law school because bottom line he doesn't want to be a lawyer and is using law school as nothing more than a way to put off the struggles of adulthood and as a perceived stepping stone into politics.

Not going to UConn shouldn't mean going to Cardozo, it should mean not going to law school at all in the fall.

Im rooting for you ferris, but I think you lack the necessary maturity and wisdom to go to law school. You should take a step back and not go instead of trying to determine which is the least bad of bad options.

This is exactly what we've been saying until page 20, when everyone kind of gave up.

Like I said, it's Fifty First Dates but if Drew Barrymore never figured shit out every single day.

Let me just write my own lil recap of the 20 pages, mannnn.
I just don't think the course correction for 20 pages of NOT UCONN should be Cardozo if he's clearly going to be miserable. I'd probably vote going to UConn with a positive and hopeful attitude than going to Cardozo dejected.

I just feel uneasy about all of this in general so add an implied :? to all my posts ITT.

Haha I completely agree with that but I think everyone here has been saying "Either suck it up and go to Cardozo, or don't go to law school at all (since his other options aren't really viable and his career goals don't really require law school)."

I agree with that.

Ferrisjso

Gold

Postby Ferrisjso » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:35 pm

Rigo wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:I know it's difficult don't get me wrong. The how difficult part is the issue here because Cardozo's the best choice financially and I want to live in CT why not try to balance it?

Are you going to be unhappy in NYC though?

Well yeah but i have a much bigger issue with living/working in NY after graduation. I actually like Cardozo and its in my favorite part of NYC.

Ferrisjso

Gold

Postby Ferrisjso » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:40 pm

Pragmatic Gun wrote:
Rigo wrote:I don't think the dude should go somewhere he hates and wouldn't be happy at. :?

No, I say that because:

We've already established that Ferris hates NYC and doesn't want to be here at all.
Problem is that his best option by far is Dozo yet he really wants to live/work in CT.
His only CT options are Quinnipiac and UConn

He apparently wants to get far away from his family and friends.

Damm you guys really make me seem like an asshole. I dont hate NYC and i dont hate my family and friends i love them all very much, im just trying to get away from an environment i dont think i can stand for several decades. I applied to NYC schools because when i applied i was gueninly torn whether I should stay or leave and all my life events since have very loudly signaled to me GTFO.
Last edited by Ferrisjso on Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ferrisjso

Gold

Postby Ferrisjso » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:42 pm

pancakes3 wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:I know it's difficult don't get me wrong. The how difficult part is the issue here because Cardozo's the best choice financially and I want to live in CT why not try to balance it?

it's a serious uphill battle. I wouldn't say its impossible, but I 100% believe you would be more likely to be employed in CT by the end of 2021 if you retook and went to UCONN. That is, you could end up unemployed for over a year if you go to Dozo and gun for CT.

Take this with a grain of salt due to self-selection but here's Cardozo's ABA employment stats, just to show give you a picture of how hard it is.

For 2015 Cardozo grades, the top 3 states looked like this.

1. New York - 255
2. New Jersey - 26
3. Florida - 4

this shit took like 5 seconds to find. ferris should be able to find it, even as a 0L. he's either not willing or not able to find this stuff out and not willing or not able to understand the advice given.

let the dude dig his own debt-grave guys.

Believe it or not i can read a 509 and the employment reports! I am aware that Dozo places almost exclusively in NY, however i think we all know most of thats self selection inwas asking avout tge difficulty of breaking the CT market so dont make it out like i havent done my homework just so you can sound all high and mighty i have read both 509s amd know both schools are regional.

Ferrisjso

Gold

Postby Ferrisjso » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:44 pm

Rigo wrote:I hate that this probably feels like a gang up but it is all coming from us not wanting applicants to make bad choices. Some people may be a bit abrasive in their delivery but I think we all want what's best for you.

I do appreciate it. Even think Cavalier on sone level means well.

Shakawkaw

Gold

Postby Shakawkaw » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:47 pm

Ferris, I think you're also forgetting that your environment is what you make of it. I had a huge falling out with my family senior year of college (I went to school in a different state), so it was hard to move back to NYC and deal with that shit. What I did learn is that a lot of the time, you're in control (barring unforeseeable circumstances outside of your obvious control). You can control the toxicity of your environment by removing negative people and adding whoever you want. While I do think you would be doing yourself a great service by taking a few years off and really figuring out what you want to do, I don't think you should be writing off an affordable option because of a potentially toxic environment. At the end of the day, NYC as a person under 22 is a lot different than it is when you're older and on your own. You might end up really liking it and growing as a person. At least with Cardozo, you're giving yourself some options of mobility. If you do UConn or QU, you're going to be stuck. I'm sure if you wanted a job in CT afterwards, especially in politics or government, I can see how using ties to CT can help you get there. Also a shit ton of people retire in CT, I'm sure you can find an old alum to help you out.

beforethelaw

New

Postby beforethelaw » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:12 am

Shakawkaw wrote:Ferris, I think you're also forgetting that your environment is what you make of it. I had a huge falling out with my family senior year of college (I went to school in a different state), so it was hard to move back to NYC and deal with that shit. What I did learn is that a lot of the time, you're in control (barring unforeseeable circumstances outside of your obvious control). You can control the toxicity of your environment by removing negative people and adding whoever you want. While I do think you would be doing yourself a great service by taking a few years off and really figuring out what you want to do, I don't think you should be writing off an affordable option because of a potentially toxic environment. At the end of the day, NYC as a person under 22 is a lot different than it is when you're older and on your own. You might end up really liking it and growing as a person. At least with Cardozo, you're giving yourself some options of mobility. If you do UConn or QU, you're going to be stuck. I'm sure if you wanted a job in CT afterwards, especially in politics or government, I can see how using ties to CT can help you get there. Also a shit ton of people retire in CT, I'm sure you can find an old alum to help you out.

I think this is good advice if the only thing you don't like about NYC is the social environment. If on the other hand you are sick of being in a massive city surrounded by skyscrapers it's different.

Do you mind being more specific about why you don't like NY? I think this is a critical point here. If it is something you could never move beyond, then it sounds like the best move is to shoot for UCONN next year (or this year if you absolutely have to).

Additionally, if you just want to (and have to) get out of NYC, maybe consider applying to some other T2s this cycle? I know it's late, but you could also retake the June lsat. If you don't improve in June, then just go this year or forget law school. If you do improve you may get better offers from schools that have already waitlisted or accepted you. If you improve and dont get better offers, reapply next cycle.

snw2367

New

Postby snw2367 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:52 am

beforethelaw wrote:
Shakawkaw wrote:Ferris, I think you're also forgetting that your environment is what you make of it. I had a huge falling out with my family senior year of college (I went to school in a different state), so it was hard to move back to NYC and deal with that shit. What I did learn is that a lot of the time, you're in control (barring unforeseeable circumstances outside of your obvious control). You can control the toxicity of your environment by removing negative people and adding whoever you want. While I do think you would be doing yourself a great service by taking a few years off and really figuring out what you want to do, I don't think you should be writing off an affordable option because of a potentially toxic environment. At the end of the day, NYC as a person under 22 is a lot different than it is when you're older and on your own. You might end up really liking it and growing as a person. At least with Cardozo, you're giving yourself some options of mobility. If you do UConn or QU, you're going to be stuck. I'm sure if you wanted a job in CT afterwards, especially in politics or government, I can see how using ties to CT can help you get there. Also a shit ton of people retire in CT, I'm sure you can find an old alum to help you out.

I think this is good advice if the only thing you don't like about NYC is the social environment. If on the other hand you are sick of being in a massive city surrounded by skyscrapers it's different.

Do you mind being more specific about why you don't like NY? I think this is a critical point here. If it is something you could never move beyond, then it sounds like the best move is to shoot for UCONN next year (or this year if you absolutely have to).

Additionally, if you just want to (and have to) get out of NYC, maybe consider applying to some other T2s this cycle? I know it's late, but you could also retake the June lsat. If you don't improve in June, then just go this year or forget law school. If you do improve you may get better offers from schools that have already waitlisted or accepted you. If you improve and dont get better offers, reapply next cycle.

great advice but I'm 99% sure he's already at three retakes

cavalier1138

Platinum

Postby cavalier1138 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:58 am

snw2367 wrote:
beforethelaw wrote:

Right, which just means that he would have to wait another year. That actually works out better for someone who's just graduating.

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:17 am

snw2367 wrote:
beforethelaw wrote:

Keep in mind that Ferris repeatedly views any advice to retake/reapply as "not very helpful."

So, in other words: "pick one of the law schools that I'm looking at, or else it's not very helpful."

EDIT: Realized that Ferris didn't create the "stop telling people to retake" tread
Last edited by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. on Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Legallylawyer2020

Bronze

Postby Legallylawyer2020 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:20 am

Ferrisjso, I do share the sentiments of a lot of the people that have commented on your thread. In particular, you should wait a few years, gain some valuable work experience in the field of your choice (it will even make you a more competitive applicant), study your butt off for the lsat and retake when you can and if you still want to go to law school reapply and aim for T13/the strongest regional in the region of your choice.

Please do not take Quinnipiac or Weidener. Cardozo is a good option, honestly (good in terms of it being your best option by far). They may even get to a point within the next decade where they rival Fordham for the number 3 spot in NYC (not saying this is a sure thing but I can see it potentially happening, though it won't if Fordham gets its butt together and gets a better grasp of their budget but I digress).

I just wanted to chime in and say that I think you need to do some soul searching and figure out if the law is really what you want to do with your life. If it is: great! Take Cardozo (or UConn if you're 1000% sure you want Connecticut) and hustle to do as well as possible in law school. Make sure you understand the consequences of taking out six figures of debt for law school and how that will likely impact the rest of your life graduating from either school. Talk to people that have done it. Find out what they would do differently if they found themselves in your shoes again. If you can find a financial advisor that will give you some free advice (friend or family member or maybe someone that offers a free consulting session before signing for their services).

TL;DR: do some serious soul searching and figure out what you honestly want. If it's the law and you have to start this fall (which there is absolutely no reason you have to) decide if you 1000% want CT or NY and choose either UConn or Cardozo depending on desired career city. If you realize you don't need to start this fall than find the best job you can in the field that interests you and gain some valuable real world experience (which I guarantee makes you a better applicant), retake the lsat and reapply in a year or two or three or five. I do understand that it's hard to put something off when you've always seen your life going one way. I promise putting law school off is not the end of the world. I took a massive detour before returning to law school and I'm a much better, happier person for it.

At the end of the day, if you're comfortable taking out six figures of debt/are one hundred percent clear on the risks associated with going to Cardozo or UConn/are one thousand percent comfortable taking those risks/paying off your debt for the rest of your life then you absolutely should follow your dreams and go to Cardozo or UConn (the other options truly are indefensible). If you're not then wait, gain experience, retake and reapply in the future.

Good luck Ferris.

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:21 am

He's definitely the projector in chief. I enjoy when he pops into threads to tell people with 161's that they have AMAZING stats.

beforethelaw

New

Postby beforethelaw » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:25 am

snw2367 wrote:
beforethelaw wrote:

Keep in mind that Ferris is the one that wrote wrote the "STOP TELLING PEOPLE TO RETAKE" thread and repeatedly views any advice to reapply as "not very helpful."

So, in other words: "pick one of the law schools that I'm looking at, or else it's not very helpful."

1. sorry for not following the thread closely enough to know he had maxed out his takes haha!
2. I think it still makes sense to apply to some other t2s outside NYC this cycle, even with the same lsat score, if the goal is JUST to go somewhere out of NY. It's worth the app fees to maximize options and many.schools may waive the fees.
3. Hoping Ferris would be more receptive to being told to retake/reapply (even though now it seems like he can only do the latter) this cycle.
4. Still want to know Ferris's reasons for wanting to leave NY so we can gauge whether they could be overcome or not.

bitter_melon

Bronze

Postby bitter_melon » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:35 am

Honestly man, after reading a good deal of this thread, I'm wondering if you've considered trying to go into the air force or navy for a few years? It would probably bring you closer to your actual goals than law school would, and they might teach you how to drive if you ask nicely.

snw2367

New

Postby snw2367 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:04 am

bitter_melon wrote:Honestly man, after reading a good deal of this thread, I'm wondering if you've considered trying to go into the air force or navy for a few years? It would probably bring you closer to your actual goals than law school would, and they might teach you how to drive if you ask nicely.

There is a big movement right now to get veterans into politics!! There was an NPR episode on it!!

guynourmin

Gold

Postby guynourmin » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:14 am

snw2367 wrote:
bitter_melon wrote:Honestly man, after reading a good deal of this thread, I'm wondering if you've considered trying to go into the air force or navy for a few years? It would probably bring you closer to your actual goals than law school would, and they might teach you how to drive if you ask nicely.

There is a big movement right now to get veterans into politics!! There was an NPR episode on it!!

and Pod Save America had Seth Moulton, a vet turned congressman, on recently. Ferris, this definitely is not a kill yourself rec. Obviously joining the armed services is a huge undertaking, but its a decent recommendation.

bitter_melon

Bronze

Postby bitter_melon » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:17 am

guybourdin wrote:
snw2367 wrote:

and Pod Save America had Seth Moulton, a vet turned congressman, on recently. Ferris, this definitely is not a kill yourself rec. Obviously joining the armed services is a huge undertaking, but its a decent recommendation.

Just want to point out, I definitely didn't mean it that way.

guynourmin

Gold

Postby guynourmin » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:19 am

bitter_melon wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
snw2367 wrote:

Just want to point out, I definitely didn't mean it that way.

and it really is a good idea! I didn't think you meant it that way, fwiw.

snw2367

New

Postby snw2367 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:24 am

guybourdin wrote:
snw2367 wrote:

Ahhh! That is the one I was thinking of-- too many podcasts, not enough time. Seth Moulton is wonderful. I helped with a consulting firm that volunteered on his campaign a couple years ago. Anyway, just a thought.

guynourmin

Gold

Postby guynourmin » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:27 am

snw2367 wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
snw2367 wrote:

Ahhh! That is the one I was thinking of-- too many podcasts, not enough time. Seth Moulton is wonderful. I helped with a consulting firm that volunteered on his campaign a couple years ago. Anyway, just a thought.

idgaf about any other news-related podcasts. I'm happy with the Crooked family right now.

snw2367

New

Postby snw2367 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:28 am

guybourdin wrote:
snw2367 wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
snw2367 wrote:

idgaf about any other news-related podcasts. I'm happy with the Crooked family right now.

i appreciate the frequency that they release their podcasts. I recommend them to all.

guynourmin

Gold

Postby guynourmin » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:36 am

snw2367 wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
snw2367 wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
snw2367 wrote:

i appreciate the frequency that they release their podcasts. I recommend them to all.

Yeah, I think they're up to 5/wk! I am not buying a $30 friend of the pod shirt I'll never wear, though - sorry jon!

Jack_Kelly

Silver

Postby Jack_Kelly » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:40 am

Why not practice in NY but not NYC? Am I missing something here? NYC has more lawyers than the rest of the state but it's not like the rest has none. It would entail learning to drive unless it was another big city, but like, from the right part of New York, commuting from Connecticut is not impossible.

cavalier1138

Platinum

Postby cavalier1138 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:42 am

Jack_Kelly wrote:Why not practice in NY but not NYC? Am I missing something here? NYC has more lawyers than the rest of the state but it's not like the rest has none. It would entail learning to drive unless it was another big city, but like, from the right part of New York, commuting from Connecticut is not impossible.

Actually, if Ferris likes Connecticut, he may be in that weird segment of the population that likes upstate NY.

Return to “Choosing a Law School?