QU v Cardozo(Ferrisjso's decision)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Re: UCONN v Cardozo(Ferrisjso's decision)

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:08 pm

Pragmatic Gun wrote:
Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:
Pragmatic Gun wrote:
Pragmatic Gun wrote:I guess we're in a similar boat, but I'm already in law school at a T13, and I got a good scholarship package from them. It will make it easier to transition to an ADA job after graduation. I don't think you will have the same options, which is another consideration you should take into account.

Also, since this thread has drawn political types, I may as well ask for advice/whore for attention. What do y'all think of my idea to work as an ADA, move up in the government hierarchy, then run for political office?

Why just ADAs? Why not AUSAs, who seem to have more public presence than ADAs. Plus, AUSAs are much more capable of jumping ship to Biglaw, which is where they work before nabbing a higher govt job later on.

I have considered becoming an AUSA. The thing is, I want to work in NYC, and becoming an AUSA there is competitive and I wouldn't be able to arrive there straight out of law school. I would have to go to a big law firm first, and even then, it would have to be one of the more prestigious ones. Unfortunately, I don't have the grades for a firm that feeds into the USAO of the SDNY or EDNY (the Paul Weisses and the Davis Polkes).

The way I see it, I would rather go the ADA route and then move to an AUSA office.

Gotcha that makes sense. I'm sure you're probably familiar with this as well, since you're a fellow NYer, but it seems like there are different tiers when it comes to DA offices in NYC as well. Seems like Manhattan DA is the top tier, followed by Brooklyn DA.

I honestly have never seen/heard of a political figure coming out of the Queens or Bronx DAs office (please enlighten me if you can think of any off the top of your head) so it seems like Manhattan/Brooklyn DA is the way to go if you want to be in the spotlight for future political aspirations.

*Not counting Staten Island

Dude, I have never heard of the Queens County DA before. The Manhattan DA is in the NY Times and was even interviewed for their magazine a few years ago, but the other counties tend to be low key. However, the previous DA of the Brooklyn Office was known for wanting to increase efforts on police misconduct, so he received more national attention, at least judging from the NYT.

Also, lol at Staten ISland.

Hahaha yeah Manhattan DA is definitely the way to go...although Cyrus Vance is a much higher profile person than the other DAs to begin with (his father is a former secretary of state). So I'm not sure if the spotlight is because he's the Manhattan DA, or if its because he's Cyrus Vance, or both lol

Pragmatic Gun

Silver

Postby Pragmatic Gun » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:19 pm

That's very true. I think the office was already prestigious due to Robert Morgenthau, who increased efforts on white collar crime (he went to YLS, while Cy went to GULC, and Morgenthau's predecessor went to HLS. Damn).

half moon

New

Postby half moon » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:20 pm

Can't really add any insight on NYC politics, because I've spent most of my life either in red states or Republican leaning areas of blue states. In those places, it seems like starting out as a prosecutor is a relatively common way for liberals to break into politics because it gives you some tough on crime credibility. I have no idea whether or how much it might help you in NYC or Connecticut though.

And of course, you've got to be ok with the likely legal career outcomes of the law school you choose as well. Because even with the best laid plans most political candidates lose.

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:30 pm

Just live somewhere you love, y'all.
I promise you you aren't going to be able to just walk up in a new community and get elected.
NYC may seem especially daunting but there's a big wariness of carpetbaggers elsewhere. Just because there are less people doesn't mean it's easier to make it.

Pragmatic Gun

Silver

Postby Pragmatic Gun » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:33 pm

half moon wrote:Can't really add any insight on NYC politics, because I've spent most of my life either in red states or Republican leaning areas of blue states. In those places, it seems like starting out as a prosecutor is a relatively common way for liberals to break into politics because it gives you some tough on crime credibility. I have no idea whether or how much it might help you in NYC or Connecticut though.

And of course, you've got to be ok with the likely legal career outcomes of the law school you choose as well. Because even with the best laid plans most political candidates lose.

Mayor Giuliani was a AUSA before he ran. former Governor Eliot Spitzer was an attorney in the NYC District Attorney's Office for many years before becoming Attorney General and then Governor.

half moon

New

Postby half moon » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:37 pm

Rigo wrote:Just live somewhere you love, y'all.

This
If NYC isn't the city for you, then Cardozo isn't the right school. And there's nothing wrong with that, NYC isn't for everyone. It just doesn't necessarily mean that UConn is. Figure out your target market (I believe you said Nashville a while back, but not sure if that's still the case) and find a school that places in that market.

Pragmatic Gun

Silver

Postby Pragmatic Gun » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:41 pm

half moon wrote:

This
If NYC isn't the city for you, then Cardozo isn't the right school. And there's nothing wrong with that, NYC isn't for everyone. It just doesn't necessarily mean that UConn is. Figure out your target market (I believe you said Nashville a while back, but not sure if that's still the case) and find a school that places in that market.

Nashville? This kid is all over the place.

half moon

New

Postby half moon » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:44 pm

Pragmatic Gun wrote:
half moon wrote:

This

This was pages ago, but there was a discussion about the shortage of public transit in Nashville and the merits of applying to University of Tennessee

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:47 pm

Pragmatic Gun wrote:
half moon wrote:

This

LOL I laughed.

The reason why people are so fed up with this is:

1. He has no idea what he's doing/what he wants yet thinks he does.
2. He asks for advice, yet completely disregards anyone's advice.
3. Repeats earlier statements revealing that he has no idea what he's doing yet think he does.
4. Asks the same questions that people answered but rephrases it as "can someone give actual advice."
5. Repeat.

It's like Fifty First Dates but if Drew Barrymore never figure out who Adam Sandler was every single day.

Pragmatic Gun

Silver

Postby Pragmatic Gun » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:55 pm

Pragmatic Gun wrote:
half moon wrote:

This

LOL I laughed.

3. Repeats earlier statements revealing that he has no idea what he's doing yet think he does.
4. Asks the same questions that people answered but rephrases it as "can someone give actual advice."
5. Repeat.

It's like Fifty First Dates but if Drew Barrymore never figure out who Adam Sandler was every single day.

Yeah, I just hijacked this thread to discuss my career plans. I'm wondering if a mod is going to come along and yell at us.

Ferrisjso

Gold

Postby Ferrisjso » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:39 pm

Pragmatic Gun wrote:
Pragmatic Gun wrote:
half moon wrote:

This

LOL I laughed.

5. Repeat.

Yeah, I just hijacked this thread to discuss my career plans. I'm wondering if a mod is going to come along and yell at us.

I'm the OP and I don't mind, your situation is pretty similar.

Ferrisjso

Gold

Postby Ferrisjso » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:43 pm

Rigo wrote:How much time have you actually spent in Hartford, ferris?
You seem to have this romanticized idea of what your quality of life will like (carless) in Hartford simply because it is in Connecticut and Im worried that it will fall very, very short of what you envision.
And I'm not even saying this as a NYC snob. I'm saying this as a small town New England boy. Granted I don't want to completely shit on Hartford since I have no first hand living experience there but that kind city is the worst urban environment imo. High crime without the positive amenities a city like Boston or NYC has. I totally get the desire for New England charm and I right there with you on it, but just know that Hartford isn't that.

For a NYC area comparison, Hartford has a higher violent crime rate than Newark, NJ.

ETA: although as somebody said before, UConn Law is in a more suburban part of town so maybe you won't necessarily be in danger walking around. I don't know.

I want to live in CT, the state flagship there with the best employment opportunities is in Hartford. The appeal of UCONN was that it would place me somewhere in CT, not that it was in Hartford. I am not planning on staying in Hartford forever(though if I love it i guess I'm open to the idea, just saying I have no idea) the LS just happens to be there and the location has some positives like PT and the state government(I'll come to my own conclusion when I go for ASW even though I'm probably not going to LS, I still owe it to myself to go and see the school and beg for money in person). If Cardozo would place me in CT after LS I would be putting down my deposit right about now even though it's in NYC.

Pragmatic Gun

Silver

Postby Pragmatic Gun » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:47 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:
You seem to have this romanticized idea of what your quality of life will like (carless) in Hartford simply because it is in Connecticut and Im worried that it will fall very, very short of what you envision.
And I'm not even saying this as a NYC snob. I'm saying this as a small town New England boy. Granted I don't want to completely shit on Hartford since I have no first hand living experience there but that kind city is the worst urban environment imo. High crime without the positive amenities a city like Boston or NYC has. I totally get the desire for New England charm and I right there with you on it, but just know that Hartford isn't that.

For a NYC area comparison, Hartford has a higher violent crime rate than Newark, NJ.

ETA: although as somebody said before, UConn Law is in a more suburban part of town so maybe you won't necessarily be in danger walking around. I don't know.

I want to live in CT, the state flagship there with the best employment opportunities is in Hartford. The appeal of UCONN was that it would place me somewhere in CT, not that it was in Hartford. I am not planning on staying in Hartford forever(though if I love it i guess I'm open to the idea, just saying I have no idea) the LS just happens to be there and the location has some positives like PT and the state government(I'll come to my own conclusion when I go for ASW even though I'm probably not going to LS, I still owe it to myself to go and see the school and beg for money in person). If Cardozo would place me in CT after LS I would be putting down my deposit right about now even though it's in NYC.

So what attracts you so much to CT besides the woods and the failed urban fabric?

Ferrisjso

Gold

Postby Ferrisjso » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:52 pm

Pragmatic Gun wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:

So what attracts you so much to CT besides the woods and the failed urban fabric?

More peaceful and the people are less cut throat. Really can't explain why I prefer it but I just do.

Pragmatic Gun

Silver

Postby Pragmatic Gun » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:53 pm

So you have no idea then.

UVA2B

Gold

Postby UVA2B » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:55 pm

Pragmatic Gun wrote:So you have no idea then.

Can mods rename this thread to the quoted?

Pragmatic Gun

Silver

Postby Pragmatic Gun » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:00 am

Idk about less cut throat. I'd gather that the people there would be more cut throat because the job situation is not as rosy as at an uppercrust school.

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:08 am

Pragmatic Gun wrote:Idk about less cut throat. I'd gather that the people there would be more cut throat because the job situation is not as rosy as at an uppercrust school.

I think he just means the CT people in general (not law students specifically) compared to the NYC Type-A ethos.

Pragmatic Gun

Silver

Postby Pragmatic Gun » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:10 am

Rigo wrote:
Pragmatic Gun wrote:Idk about less cut throat. I'd gather that the people there would be more cut throat because the job situation is not as rosy as at an uppercrust school.

I think he just means the CT people in general (not law students specifically) compared to the NYC Type-A ethos.

Oh. Well, what a traitor.

Shakawkaw

Gold

Postby Shakawkaw » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:26 am

So, he wants to go into politics, but wants to end up in CT and avoid NYC because of the perceived politeness of its residents? Interesting. Politics will be a rude awakening for you, Ferris. Follow your dreams!

Pragmatic Gun

Silver

Postby Pragmatic Gun » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:28 am

Shakawkaw wrote:So, he wants to go into politics, but wants to end up in CT and avoid NYC because of the perceived politeness of its residents? Interesting. Politics will be a rude awakening for you, Ferris. Follow your dreams!

Such a nasty woman

Shakawkaw

Gold

Postby Shakawkaw » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:32 am

Pragmatic Gun wrote:
Shakawkaw wrote:So, he wants to go into politics, but wants to end up in CT and avoid NYC because of the perceived politeness of its residents? Interesting. Politics will be a rude awakening for you, Ferris. Follow your dreams!

Such a nasty woman

I am a New Yorker after all. :lol: :lol:

Pragmatic Gun

Silver

Postby Pragmatic Gun » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:36 am

Shakawkaw wrote:
Pragmatic Gun wrote:

Such a nasty woman

I am a New Yorker after all. :lol: :lol:

Oh, perfect. We have a traitor here. What shall we do with him?

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:37 am

:lol: :lol:

star fox

Diamond

Postby star fox » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:09 am

You can move to Connecticut before you go to law school there.

Return to “Choosing a Law School?