QU v Cardozo(Ferrisjso's decision)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
half moon

New

Re: UCONN v Cardozo(Ferrisjso's decision)

Postby half moon » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:42 pm

Sorry to hear the convo with your parents didn't go as you hoped. Once you get some distance from it though, this might be the beginning of an opportunity to figure out for yourself what you want independent of your family's wishes and/or their potential financial contributions. If this makes law school too expensive to pursue immediately, it could become an opportunity to go work on a competitive Senate or Governors race for 2018, or find a job as a paralegal, or whatever else you may feel like trying.

For me at least, getting to a point where I was financially independent of my parents and understanding that following my own goals for my life was more important than pursuing what they wanted for me has been a clarifying process. I hope it will be the same for you.

Pragmatic Gun

Silver

Postby Pragmatic Gun » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:35 pm

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:
mjb447 wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
guybourdin wrote:Ferris, not sure if you've answered this before: are you okay with never practicing law? Like, you think you'll enjoy law school, you want out of your current environment that much, you don't think a $500/mo student loan payment is particularly burdensome, and you think you'll get some serious amount of satisfaction from having a JD next to your name even if you never use it?

and I'm not saying you'll never practice. I'm just saying, if the odds are about 50/50, are you okay with the other side?

Yes, he's okay with not practicing law. As long as he doesn't have to learn how to drive/escape from 4 Privet Drive and having to live with the aweful Dursley's, life will be fine and dandy!

Worked out for Harry

In an alternate universe, Harry's time at Hogwarts ended a year in after he was placed in a stacked section and lost his scholarship. He spent most of his productive years waiting tables at The Three Broomsticks and making ruinous payments to Gringotts.

:lol: :lol:

Shit...he attended Hogwarts for 6 more years paying sticker?! PS. we all know Hermione only got into Hogwarts because of her URM status (under represented muggle) and Ron got a boat ton of Need-Based-Aid.

At least I got something looking thru this thread. I still need to figure out why ferris wants to go to lol school

In all seriousness, ferris, I want to enter politics someday, too. I figure if I go to a fancy school, then become an NYC ADA right after, I can lay the foundation for a campaign run. If it doesn't work out, then I practice law. I can go into the private sector and hopefully work at a big law firm (cause fancy degree) or just work at some small shop and still make some good money.

Point is, even if my political plan doesn't work out, I would be fine with working as a lawyer. You really gotta figure out if the legal career is for you. Are you fine coming into the office, opening up your state's law journal, then working on some brief or contract?
Last edited by Pragmatic Gun on Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:39 pm

Pragmatic Gun wrote:
mjb447 wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
guybourdin wrote:Ferris, not sure if you've answered this before: are you okay with never practicing law? Like, you think you'll enjoy law school, you want out of your current environment that much, you don't think a $500/mo student loan payment is particularly burdensome, and you think you'll get some serious amount of satisfaction from having a JD next to your name even if you never use it?

and I'm not saying you'll never practice. I'm just saying, if the odds are about 50/50, are you okay with the other side?

Yes, he's okay with not practicing law. As long as he doesn't have to learn how to drive/escape from 4 Privet Drive and having to live with the aweful Dursley's, life will be fine and dandy!

Worked out for Harry

In an alternate universe, Harry's time at Hogwarts ended a year in after he was placed in a stacked section and lost his scholarship. He spent most of his productive years waiting tables at The Three Broomsticks and making ruinous payments to Gringotts.

Shit...he attended Hogwarts for 6 more years paying sticker?! PS. we all know Hermione only got into Hogwarts because of her URM status (under represented muggle) and Ron got a boat ton of Need-Based-Aid.

At least I got something looking thru this thread. I still need to figure out why ferris wants to go to lol school

Welcome to the club :D

Pragmatic Gun

Silver

Postby Pragmatic Gun » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:41 pm

Check my post, ferris and co., I made some key edits that might be helpful.

Ferrisjso

Gold

Postby Ferrisjso » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:47 pm

Pragmatic Gun wrote:
mjb447 wrote:
guybourdin wrote:

Worked out for Harry

In all seriousness, ferris, I want to enter politics someday, too. I figure if I go to a fancy school, then become an NYC ADA right after, I can lay the foundation for a campaign run. If it doesn't work out, then I practice law. I can go into the private sector and hopefully work at a big law firm (cause fancy degree) or just work at some small shop and still make some good money.

Point is, even if my political plan doesn't work out, I would be fine with working as a lawyer. You really gotta figure out if the legal career is for you. Are you fine coming into the office, opening up your state's law journal, then working on some brief or contract?

Damm you really are in a similar boat as me! I would have been fine working law as i said on here many times(and still might be) the entire issue here is location. I am satisfied with the deal Dozo gave me especially after the scholly bump think its a good deal but at the end of the day the amount UCONN gave me just isnt enough and the low ball offer they gave me after getting my hopes up combined with all my convos on here really crushed my spirit even before talking to my parents.

For me law I feel has a lot of appeal for political people who care more about the policy than the art of campaigning. After all if one wants to be a law maker I can't see knowing the law being a hindrance. I had the same plan as you if I ended up going up to VA(location notwithstanding obviously), I wanted to be DA somewhere in the middle of nowhere and then start running for office when my debt got low(after all Obama didn't pay off his loans until the White House).
Last edited by Ferrisjso on Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

foregetaboutdre

Bronze

Postby foregetaboutdre » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:52 pm

Rigo wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
Rigo wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote: I also worked for Bernie up in New Hampshire and got to go to the victory speech, which was the happiest moment of my life!

I feel like you should follow this passion. Seriously.
Coming from someone who wishes he did when he was 22.

Go get a Hill job and dip into that world for awhile if you want something more stable than campaigns.

Out of curiosity how would I go about doing that?(there's a limited amount of congressmen even Democrats who would approve of my Social Media history). I am considering bailing on LS(again purely due to finances unless I can get some familal guarantees of assistance) and having a potential alternative in place would be great.

Tbh, I don't know because I never pursued that path and only looked into it as part of an internship for school credit (didn't end up doing it). Some other people can probably chime in.
Doesn't hurt to apply though.

Also regarding bolded, I'd probably get rid of that shit regardless if it's that offputting. That stuff can come back to bite you when you least expect it ESPECIALLY if you want to enter the public eye. I personally wouldn't want anything questionable out there about me floating around. There's power in keeping things to yourself. But do what you wish.

Feel free to PM me if you want some general Hill advice. If you want to do politics/govt relations as a career, I wouldn't not totally recommend law school, BUT I think the Hill/State route is easier.

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:55 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:
Pragmatic Gun wrote:
mjb447 wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:Yes, he's okay with not practicing law. As long as he doesn't have to learn how to drive/escape from 4 Privet Drive and having to live with the aweful Dursley's, life will be fine and dandy!

Worked out for Harry

Damm you really are in a similar boat as me! I would have been fine working law as i said on here many times(and still might be) the entire issue here is location. I am satisfied with the deal Dozo gave me especially after the scholly bump think its a good deal but at the end of the day the amount UCONN gave me just isnt enough and the low ball offer they gave me after getting my hopes up combined with all my convos on here really crushed my spirit even before talking to my parents.

Ferris' problem:

Better school + much more scholarship OR not being in 200k debt for a degree that's unnecessary to achieve his goals < Current desire to flee NYC and explore the world Connecticut.

Ferrisjso

Gold

Postby Ferrisjso » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:00 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:
Pragmatic Gun wrote:
mjb447 wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:Yes, he's okay with not practicing law. As long as he doesn't have to learn how to drive/escape from 4 Privet Drive and having to live with the aweful Dursley's, life will be fine and dandy!

Worked out for Harry

Ferris' problem:

Better school + much more scholarship OR not being in 200k debt for a degree that's unnecessary to achieve his goals < Current desire to flee NYC and explore the world Connecticut.

This is where I feel that many TLS people's desire to live in NYC makes it hard to understand where I'm coming from. Also I've spent four years in UG in CT, it's not like I'm one of those people who come here with a list of schools in a bunch of different areas of the country and want to go wherever the wind takes them.

Pragmatic Gun

Silver

Postby Pragmatic Gun » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:05 pm

I guess we're in a similar boat, but I'm already in law school at a T13, and I got a good scholarship package from them. It will make it easier to transition to an ADA job after graduation. I don't think you will have the same options, which is another consideration you should take into account.

Also, since this thread has drawn political types, I may as well ask for advice/whore for attention. What do y'all think of my idea to work as an ADA, move up in the government hierarchy, then run for political office?

Pragmatic Gun

Silver

Postby Pragmatic Gun » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:06 pm

Dude, I understand you want to distance yourself form your current social milieu, but there must be more cost-effective ways of doing so.

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:10 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
Pragmatic Gun wrote:

Ferris' problem:

This is where I feel that many TLS people's desire to live in NYC makes it hard to understand where I'm coming from. Also I've spent four years in UG in CT, it's not like I'm one of those people who come here with a list of schools in a bunch of different areas of the country and want to go wherever the wind takes them.

If Dozo was located in Connecticut and UCONN was located in Manhattan, I would still advise you to go to dozo.....it's not about location, it's about which school is the better choice....why is that so hard for you to understand lol

I was born and raised in NYC and I love it here ( I wish I could stay here for law school). I have the option to stay here for law school but I'm choosing to go out of state simply because another school will allow me to be in a better position to achieve my career goals....not because I really wanted to live out of state.
Last edited by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. on Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pragmatic Gun

Silver

Postby Pragmatic Gun » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:12 pm

What about Connecticut's location makes you seriously consider U getting Conned or getting a job at Quiznos after going to Quinnipac?

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:38 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:This is where I feel that many TLS people's desire to live in NYC makes it hard to understand where I'm coming from. Also I've spent four years in UG in CT, it's not like I'm one of those people who come here with a list of schools in a bunch of different areas of the country and want to go wherever the wind takes them.

How, after this long, do you still think this is the problem?

snw2367

New

Postby snw2367 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:12 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:This is where I feel that many TLS people's desire to live in NYC makes it hard to understand where I'm coming from. Also I've spent four years in UG in CT, it's not like I'm one of those people who come here with a list of schools in a bunch of different areas of the country and want to go wherever the wind takes them.

How, after this long, do you still think this is the problem?

I'm pretty much as pro-UConn as you can get on this thread, heck I even deposited there, and I have told him Cardozo. I don't get these assumptions he's making.

T3TON

New

Postby T3TON » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:19 pm

Pragmatic Gun wrote:Also, since this thread has drawn political types, I may as well ask for advice/whore for attention. What do y'all think of my idea to work as an ADA, move up in the government hierarchy, then run for political office?

I cant speak to your political aspirations but T13 or no, if you go straight into an ADA position you really cant count on being able to jump ship to big law. Smaller firms might be more receptive but the pay will be much diminished.

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:28 pm

How much time have you actually spent in Hartford, ferris?
You seem to have this romanticized idea of what your quality of life will like (carless) in Hartford simply because it is in Connecticut and Im worried that it will fall very, very short of what you envision.
And I'm not even saying this as a NYC snob. I'm saying this as a small town New England boy. Granted I don't want to completely shit on Hartford since I have no first hand living experience there but that kind city is the worst urban environment imo. High crime without the positive amenities a city like Boston or NYC has. I totally get the desire for New England charm and I right there with you on it, but just know that Hartford isn't that.

For a NYC area comparison, Hartford has a higher violent crime rate than Newark, NJ.

ETA: although as somebody said before, UConn Law is in a more suburban part of town so maybe you won't necessarily be in danger walking around. I don't know.
Last edited by Rigo on Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shakawkaw

Gold

Postby Shakawkaw » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:30 pm

0Ls need to divorce themselves of these odd assumptions that becoming an ADA is a sure thing. The offices care less about the prestige of your school and more about demonstrated commitment to a long term career as a prosecutor.

Pragmatic Gun

Silver

Postby Pragmatic Gun » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:39 pm

Shakawkaw wrote:0Ls need to divorce themselves of these odd assumptions that becoming an ADA is a sure thing. The offices care less about the prestige of your school and more about demonstrated commitment to a long term career as a prosecutor.

I'm actually a 2L and I understand how difficult it is to procure such a job. what I meant was that I won't have to worry about about a 200K debt to pay off after hopefully--fingers crossed--I land an ADA job.
Last edited by Pragmatic Gun on Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ferrisjso

Gold

Postby Ferrisjso » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:38 pm

Pragmatic Gun wrote:I guess we're in a similar boat, but I'm already in law school at a T13, and I got a good scholarship package from them. It will make it easier to transition to an ADA job after graduation. I don't think you will have the same options, which is another consideration you should take into account.

Also, since this thread has drawn political types, I may as well ask for advice/whore for attention. What do y'all think of my idea to work as an ADA, move up in the government hierarchy, then run for political office?

First off one of the reasons i want to leave NY C is that suceeding politically there will be almost inherently more difficult than it will be just about anywhere else. Im far more confident in my ability to win elections in CT than NY. Theres many reasons for this and im going to explain then all to you. First off the NY ladder youll have to climb after becoming an ADA will simpy be taller. In NYC the City Council, statewide offices and Mayoralty are probably more difficult to win than their state equivalents in many states. In other states theres state government and congress where in NYC youll have to deal with a three tiered government. That means winning any state or federal office will sinply be harder than in another state. You will also be appealing to more people to win all types of seats beside US House. NYC is also very diverse and you have to appeal to many communities that are in some cases pretty well isolated and have language barriers.

Also [HI I'M THE WORD FILTER. THIS PERSON MIGHT BE AN IDIOT.] is huge! Are you a minority who can appeal to a particular community?Look at the 2013 Democratic mayoral primary we had De Blasio a white guy with an AA wife and a biracial family(who actually won the black vote in a landslide against a serious black candidate,a lesbian, a black guy(the previous nominee who lost to Bloomberg), an Asian guy, a Jewish guy(couldnt stoptakkng dic picks),and an Italian guy. These all represent large communities in NYC(and there wasnt even an Hispanic) and all of these guys were serious candidates whod held major office before. Other citywide offices tend to have large tough fields to. Youre going to have to find a way to appeal to different groups even for most state seats or Congressional seats. Finally from the city up from uppaid interns up NYC politics is just downright brutal and cut throat. This is expanded by the fact that if you are a Democrat(and if youre serious about a political career in NYC/NY Im assuming you are) you wont be facing one person for office youll be facing at least a handful of serious well funded candidates as Democratic Primaries in NY are seem as more important than the general elections and the winner of the prinary wins by default. So youll be running against multiple people in most cases and a few serious contenders. Also if you lose one election it will also be harder for your career to rebound lose at any stage of the ladder and youre done(unless youre still holding down office when you lose). Dint wabt to go all TLS and burst your bubbles but having worked in NY politics im telling you what youre planning has a far smaller chance of success there than it wluld just about anywhere else.

I was at a meeting once where party leaders made it very clear if we worked we should be satisfied never having the chance to run a serious campaign(nm win). A JD will give you an advantage, people who say otherwise on this forum i feel are skeptical of JD Advantage but that advantage probably means a paid position(and yes without a JD getting a paid position will be very difficult) wjere you get to order people around who will talk mad *** about who when youre knocking on doors. It doesnt even guarentee you being a campaign manager much less a candidate. I hope this makes you think twice about politics in NYC and I also hope this helps people understand why im so skeptical about my political chances there. I have worked on 3 campaigns in NYC. Being ADA (a challenge in itself thats probably tougher here to) will probably give younthe chance to run(and it would anywhere) but youll have a giant ladder to climb with a ton of obstacles.

Also a TON of NY politicans end up going to prison(last three senate majority leaders i think). One of my councilmen went to jail, there is alot of corruption from the lowest level up and whether you want to risk getting involved in that is another thing you should consider. Even scandals that dont result in prison time are pretty commonplace. Also if one of your ataffers does something unethical( like one of the mayoral candidates staffers went to jail for stealing money or sonething like that) which is more common than you think because again theyll be cuthroat as hell it will be reflected on you and people will probably think you were in on it even if you did nothing wrong (i dont know if that guy was guilty or not)and you will get the nice privilege of seeing a swiftboat commercial in your honor.

An example of the depth of NYC politics is Eliot Spitzer(a guy who at one point was a potential future president), who despite actually being pretty popular and having largely forgiven for his scandal, was reduced to running for NYC comptroller(an office you could be running for in 10 years) and lost, not because of the scandal but because he ran against the Manhattan BP, who landslided Manhattan.
Last edited by Ferrisjso on Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:02 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Pragmatic Gun

Silver

Postby Pragmatic Gun » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:44 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:
Pragmatic Gun wrote:I guess we're in a similar boat, but I'm already in law school at a T13, and I got a good scholarship package from them. It will make it easier to transition to an ADA job after graduation. I don't think you will have the same options, which is another consideration you should take into account.

First off one of the reasons i want to leave NY C is that suceeding politically there will be almost inherently more difficult than it will be just about anywhere else. Im far more confident in my ability to win elections in CT than NY. Theres many reasons for this and im going to explain then all to you. First off the NY ladder youll have to climb after becoming an ADA will simpy be taller. In NYC the City Council, statewide offices and Mayoralty are probably more difficult to win than their state equivalents in many states. In other states theres state government and congress where in NYC youll have to deal with a three tiered government. That means winning any state or federal office will sinply be harder than in another state. You will also be appealing to more people to win all types of seats beside US House. NYC is also very diverse and you have to appeal to many communities that are in some cases pretty well isolated and have language barriers.

Also [HI I'M THE WORD FILTER. THIS PERSON MIGHT BE AN IDIOT.] is huge! Are you a minority who can appeal to a particular community?Look at the 2013 Democratic mayoral primary we had De Blasio a white guy with an AA wife and a biracial family(who actually won the black vote in a landslide against a serious black candidate,a lesbian, a black guy(the previous nominee who lost to Bloomberg), an Asian guy, a Jewish guy(couldnt stoptakkng dic picks),and an Italian guy. These all represent large communities in NYC(and there wasnt even an Hispanic) and all of these guys were serious candidates whod held major office before. Other citywide offices tend to have large tough fields to. Youre going to have to find a way to appeal to different groups even for most state seats or Congressional seats. Finally from the city up from uppaid interns up NYC politics is just downright brutal and cut throat. This is expanded by the fact that if you are a Democrat(and if youre serious about a political career in NYC/NY Im assuming you are) you wont be facing one person for office youll be facing at least a handful of serious well funded candidates as Democratic Primaries in NY are seem as more important than the general elections and the winner of the prinary wins by default. So youll be running against multiple people in most cases and a few serious contenders. Also if you lose one election it will also be harder for your career to rebound lose at any stage of the ladder and youre done(unless youre still holding down office when you lose). Dint wabt to go all TLS and burst your bubbles but having worked in NY politics im telling you what youre planning has a far smaller chance of success there than it wluld just about anywhere else.

I'm a bisexual Hispanic person.

Also, tell me more about your experiences in NYC politics. As a long-time Queens resident, I'm familiar with the politics of the city, and hearing your perspective on the subject would be enlightening.

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:48 pm

Why just ADAs? Why not AUSAs, who seem to have more public presence than ADAs. Plus, AUSAs are much more capable of jumping ship to Biglaw, which is where they work before nabbing a higher govt job later on.

Pragmatic Gun

Silver

Postby Pragmatic Gun » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:54 pm

Why just ADAs? Why not AUSAs, who seem to have more public presence than ADAs. Plus, AUSAs are much more capable of jumping ship to Biglaw, which is where they work before nabbing a higher govt job later on.

I have considered becoming an AUSA. The thing is, I want to work in NYC, and becoming an AUSA there is competitive and I wouldn't be able to arrive there straight out of law school. I would have to go to a big law firm first, and even then, it would have to be one of the more prestigious ones. Unfortunately, I don't have the grades for a firm that feeds into the USAO of the SDNY or EDNY (the Paul Weisses and the Davis Polkes).

The way I see it, I would rather go the ADA route and then move to an AUSA office.

Ferrisjso

Gold

Postby Ferrisjso » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:56 pm

Pragmatic Gun wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:

I'm a bisexual Hispanic person.

Also, tell me more about your experiences in NYC politics. As a long-time Queens resident, I'm familiar with the politics of the city, and hearing your perspective on the subject would be enlightening.

I am a Queens resident to who is a straight hispanic person! I will PM you specifics because going into detail about lots of the stuff i mentioned would be a slight risk to my online identity. Who knows maybe we've worked on similar campaigns! Most of my expierence would be irelevant if you became ADA though but itd still be tough as hell.

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:58 pm

Pragmatic Gun wrote:

I have considered becoming an AUSA. The thing is, I want to work in NYC, and becoming an AUSA there is competitive and I wouldn't be able to arrive there straight out of law school. I would have to go to a big law firm first, and even then, it would have to be one of the more prestigious ones. Unfortunately, I don't have the grades for a firm that feeds into the USAO of the SDNY or EDNY (the Paul Weisses and the Davis Polkes).

The way I see it, I would rather go the ADA route and then move to an AUSA office.

Gotcha that makes sense. I'm sure you're probably familiar with this as well, since you're a fellow NYer, but it seems like there are different tiers when it comes to DA offices in NYC as well. Seems like Manhattan DA is the top tier, followed by Brooklyn DA.

I honestly have never seen/heard of a political figure coming out of the Queens or Bronx DAs office (please enlighten me if you can think of any off the top of your head) so it seems like Manhattan/Brooklyn DA is the way to go if you want to be in the spotlight for future political aspirations.

*Not counting Staten Island

Pragmatic Gun

Silver

Postby Pragmatic Gun » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:05 pm

Pragmatic Gun wrote:

Gotcha that makes sense. I'm sure you're probably familiar with this as well, since you're a fellow NYer, but it seems like there are different tiers when it comes to DA offices in NYC as well. Seems like Manhattan DA is the top tier, followed by Brooklyn DA.

I honestly have never seen/heard of a political figure coming out of the Queens or Bronx DAs office (please enlighten me if you can think of any off the top of your head) so it seems like Manhattan/Brooklyn DA is the way to go if you want to be in the spotlight for future political aspirations.

*Not counting Staten Island

Dude, I have never heard of the Queens County DA before. The Manhattan DA is in the NY Times and was even interviewed for their magazine a few years ago, but the other counties tend to be low key. However, the previous DA of the Brooklyn Office was known for wanting to increase efforts on police misconduct, so he received more national attention, at least judging from the NYT.

Also, lol at Staten ISland.

Return to “Choosing a Law School?