QU v Cardozo(Ferrisjso's decision)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Nebby

Diamond

Re: UCONN v Cardozo(Ferrisjso's decision)

Postby Nebby » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:42 am

Do you have undergrad debt?

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:43 am

Ferrisjso wrote:
Shakawkaw wrote:Dorming at Dozo is an objectively bad decision (if your goal is to minimize costs). The cost of the dorms are twice as much as you'd pay otherwise, and you aren't provided housing for breaks.

ETA: Is COA including housing expenses?

No.

Wait why not?
I'm finding it so hard to get accurate numbers for you.
COA = cost of attendance, meaning ALL of your expenses for 3 years minus scholarship.
Are you including housing in your UConn 140-200 total?
I just want to compare apples to apples here.

Shakawkaw

Gold

Postby Shakawkaw » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:44 am

If your "COA" isn't including COL - you shouldn't go this year. That's prohibitively expensive.

Ferrisjso

Gold

Postby Ferrisjso » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:48 am

Rigo wrote:When will you be able to determine if you're getting in-state or not at UConn?
It's not even worth considering if closer to the $200k.

Sometime late in my 1l year i think. They apparently help the out of stare kids get it and its just a formality but i dont want to be rolling dice with 60k. Also the most interest will be on the most expensive year.This was part of my argument asking for scholly increase i thought it made enough sense.

No to UG debt and i dont counr COL for Cardozo besides potential 1L dorms cause I wouldnt be taking out loans and my parents would cover most if not all of that. Yes I am including housing in UCONN. This is the only thing im somewhat optimistic about as posters on the UCONN thread had mentioned that COL could be signifigantly cheaper than the 509 and my frugal lifestyle maybe could save some more.

snw2367

New

Postby snw2367 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:50 am

Rigo wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
Shakawkaw wrote:Dorming at Dozo is an objectively bad decision (if your goal is to minimize costs). The cost of the dorms are twice as much as you'd pay otherwise, and you aren't provided housing for breaks.

No.

Wait why not?
COA = cost of attendance, meaning ALL of your expenses for 3 years minus scholarship.

He has to be including housing for UConn since tuition, no scholarship, out of state, is 180k (not including interest).. Assuming in-state for 2L & 3L, it should be closer to 120k (again, that's w/no scholly).... unless he has no scholarship?

Ferrisjso

Gold

Postby Ferrisjso » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:51 am

snw2367 wrote:
Rigo wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:

No.

Wait why not?

He has to be including housing for UConn since tuition, no scholarship, out of state, is 180k (not including interest).. Assuming in-state for 2L & 3L, it should be closer to 120k (again, that's w/no scholly).... unless he has no scholarship?

Have about 15k a year from UCONN. With instate for 2L,3L it was like in the high 120s low 130s(the reason im confused is inwas doing this math when they were switching the 509s) so i rounded to 140.
Last edited by Ferrisjso on Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nebby

Diamond

Postby Nebby » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:53 am

Ferrisjso wrote:
Rigo wrote:When will you be able to determine if you're getting in-state or not at UConn?

Sometime late in my 1l year i think. They apparently help the out of stare kids get it and its just a formality but i dont want to be rolling dice with 60k. Also the most interest will be on the most expensive year.This was part of my argument asking for scholly increase i thought it made enough sense.

No to UG debt and i dont counr COL for Cardozo besides potential 1L dorms cause I wouldnt be taking out loans and my parents would cover most if not all of that. Yes I am including housing in UCONN. This is the only thing im somewhat optimistic about as posters on the UCONN thread had mentioned that COL could be signifigantly cheaper than the 509 and my frugal lifestyle maybe could save some more.

Can you clarify the bolded? What do you mean you wouldn't be taking out loans if you went to Dozo?

Ferrisjso

Gold

Postby Ferrisjso » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:54 am

Nebby wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:

Can you clarify the bolded? What do you mean you wouldn't be taking out loans if you went to Dozo?

Wouldnt be taking out loans for COL. The total ive been sharing is just tuition. For UCONN i put both.

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:05 am

Ferrisjso wrote:
Nebby wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:

Wouldnt be taking out loans for COL. The total ive been sharing is just tuition. For UCONN i put both.

Ferris, that's a ridiculous amount of money regardless of how frugally you can live. Especially the area near Dozo, which is probably one of the most expensive places in NYC.

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:45 am

Wait, so your parents are only covering housing at Cardozo, but not anywhere else?

AJordan

Bronze

Postby AJordan » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:51 am

cavalier1138 wrote:Wait, so your parents are only covering housing at Cardozo, but not anywhere else?

My parents enticed me back home once by paying my rent. This kind of thing happens.

star fox

Diamond

Postby star fox » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:59 am

Why is this thread 17 pages? Is it worth reading or is it just Ferrisjo needing (and receiving) attention?

jjcorvino

Silver

Postby jjcorvino » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:02 pm

star fox wrote:Why is this thread 17 pages? Is it worth reading or is it just Ferrisjo needing (and receiving) attention?

A lot of repeated arguments. It is so long because every time there is a consensus a new fact/issue pops up.

Ferrisjso

Gold

Postby Ferrisjso » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:03 pm

jjcorvino wrote:
star fox wrote:Why is this thread 17 pages? Is it worth reading or is it just Ferrisjo needing (and receiving) attention?

A lot of repeated arguments. It is so long because every time there is a consensus a new fact/issue pops up.

If everyone wants im willing to just drop thread.

grades??

Silver

Postby grades?? » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:06 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:
jjcorvino wrote:

The motion that was seconded was that you just leave this website. Stop this thread and stop giving advice in any other threads. We will stop pestering you if you just leave.

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:07 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:If everyone wants im willing to just drop thread.

What about dropping the plan to go to UCONN?

I've decided that the best way to address this is like an intervention, so let's try that route. Small promises lead to big changes.

shadowfax

Bronze

Postby shadowfax » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:13 pm

grades?? wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
jjcorvino wrote:

The motion that was seconded was that you just leave this website. Stop this thread and stop giving advice in any other threads. We will stop pestering you if you just leave.

A seconded motion just leads to a vote. It is not in and of itself dispositive.

grades??

Silver

Postby grades?? » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:16 pm

shadowfax wrote:
grades?? wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
jjcorvino wrote:

Can we vote? I vote in favor of the motion.

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:17 pm

shadowfax wrote:
grades?? wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
jjcorvino wrote:

Poll?

guynourmin

Gold

Postby guynourmin » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:18 pm

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:
shadowfax wrote:
grades?? wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
jjcorvino wrote:

Poll?

a poll on ferris' thread to ban ferris.

fwiw, I vote against banning him, but would like some tag on all his terrible advice posts so 0Ls coming here for the first time will get a heads up.

Gitaroo_Dude

Silver

Postby Gitaroo_Dude » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:43 pm

I don't think ragging on Ferris does much at this point.

It sounds like whatever UConn said in their negotiation e-mail has demoralized him, possibly to the point of not attending either UConn or law school in general.

I think this would be the perfect time for you Ferris to kind of step back and evaluate everything. You mentioned you don't want to live in small town VA unless you're attending law school because you can't afford it. But you have said you can live frugally, so I don't see the issue here. Like Rigo said, you can get paid political work there right now, and since you lean towards the left, there's probably a huge need for people like you in rural VA. I would just caution you that if you feel like you can't work a non-legal/non-political job, you should really think about that and your priorities. Work is almost always going to suck at times regardless of your field, it's just how it is.

Might be best if you follow Cav's advice and start going to therapy. I don't think you can make a healthy decision until you work through your anxiety and other issues.

guynourmin

Gold

Postby guynourmin » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:47 pm

fwiw, I started going to therapy recently. you should definitely consider it Ferris.

shadowfax

Bronze

Postby shadowfax » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:49 pm

Against the odds that this is real.

If possible speak to Dean DeMeola at UConn Law about your concerns. I don't think there is a nicer person on the planet.

snw2367

New

Postby snw2367 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:57 pm

shadowfax wrote:Against the odds that this is real.

If possible speak to Dean DeMeola at UConn Law about your concerns. I don't think there is a nicer person on the planet.

It is. He was on the UConn forum long before this started up.

Ferrisjso

Gold

Postby Ferrisjso » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:58 pm

guybourdin wrote:
Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:
shadowfax wrote:
grades?? wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
jjcorvino wrote:

Poll?

a poll on ferris' thread to ban ferris.

fwiw, I vote against banning him, but would like some tag on all his terrible advice posts so 0Ls coming here for the first time will get a heads up.

The condescension is unbelievable. The whole reason i started giving advice because alot of what the consensus was advising was advice that wasn't right for them. My voice is needed to on here to counter all the elitism. I'm not taking any of your Model UN talk seriously you're a joke, my goal with giving advice is to let people understand the bubble some of the posters here are in, and to actually answer questions rather than asking for stats irrelevant to the question so you could tell people to retake. That said If I stop posting on the thread it goes without saying I won't be spending much time if any on here, but it just irritates me you're so eager to get rid of someone who doesn't agree with the elitist "consensus".

Return to “Choosing a Law School?