QU v Cardozo(Ferrisjso's decision)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Winter is Coming

Bronze
Posts: 404
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:51 am

Re: UCONN v Cardozo(Ferrisjso's decision)

Postby Winter is Coming » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:59 am

Go to Cardozo, where there will be thousands of jobs/internships that you can take the subway to. Not that they'll be easy to get coming from Cardozo, but I think this thread veered off from the law school decisions into "basic life realities" pretty quickly. You don't have to learn how to drive, but don't expect the whole world to adapt to that preference when you have an option to go to school in a city where needing to drive is entirely uncessary.

shadowfax

Bronze
Posts: 110
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:39 pm

Re: UCONN v Cardozo(Ferrisjso's decision)

Postby shadowfax » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:51 am

You can't go to UConn Law without a car IMO.

Beautiful campus. Formerly a seminary. In the middle of nowhere just outside of Hartford. A purely residential neighborhood. The nicest apartment complexes if that's your choice, are 20 minutes away by car. Near the campus it's rooms for rent in homes. Served by one bus line so in theory with a lot of transfers you can kinda get around. Nearby restaurants are limited as are grocery stores.

The main campus is 40 minutes away depending on traffic(highways). Hartford like a lot of cities in the northeast has its good and bad. It is on the brink of bankruptcy. A ghost town after 9 pm and not really where you want to be.

If you can get instate tuition it is one of the better ways to get a nice law degree for relatively little money. In the state it is considered a respected degree. Most judges, DA's and the in-state legal system went to schools like Quinnipiac. A lot of law is local. That sounds parochial but it is true even at the highest levels. Try doing something in front of the Delaware Chancery without local council.

The job prospects are what they are and readily discernible.

I didn't go there but grew up in southwest CT and know people who did. Good luck.

User avatar
Ferrisjso

Gold
Posts: 2149
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:40 pm

Re: UCONN v Cardozo(Ferrisjso's decision)

Postby Ferrisjso » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:43 pm

shadowfax wrote:You can't go to UConn Law without a car IMO.

Beautiful campus. Formerly a seminary. In the middle of nowhere just outside of Hartford. A purely residential neighborhood. The nicest apartment complexes if that's your choice, are 20 minutes away by car. Near the campus it's rooms for rent in homes. Served by one bus line so in theory with a lot of transfers you can kinda get around. Nearby restaurants are limited as are grocery stores.

The main campus is 40 minutes away depending on traffic(highways). Hartford like a lot of cities in the northeast has its good and bad. It is on the brink of bankruptcy. A ghost town after 9 pm and not really where you want to be.

If you can get instate tuition it is one of the better ways to get a nice law degree for relatively little money. In the state it is considered a respected degree. Most judges, DA's and the in-state legal system went to schools like Quinnipiac. A lot of law is local. That sounds parochial but it is true even at the highest levels. Try doing something in front of the Delaware Chancery without local council.

The job prospects are what they are and readily discernible.

I didn't go there but grew up in southwest CT and know people who did. Good luck.


Thank you. I am going to try to learn to drive this summer if I choose to go to UCONN(or Quinnipiac for that matter) but I'll also go see for myself how doable either walking or driving would be(meaning getting around without highways). At the end of the day while I know it might seem like NYC seems like a better fit for me for transit reasons, socially and environmentally I believe Connecticut is a much better fit. I also have the feeling many of the people on here are advising me to go to Cardozo because in their mind they can't understand someone wanting to not live in NYC because they would like to, which is a reason why I've taken all of the Cardozo advice with a grain of salt(even though on paper, I am aware that it is currently the best choice, I just don't think they're really valuing my geographic preference the same way I do). I know this is going to sound crazy but I prefer the idea of a "ghost town" to that of a major city. Also regardless of economics, Hartford will always be the state capital(not saying I want to live in Hartford forever, I want Connecticut not necessarily Hartford).

User avatar
mjb447

Silver
Posts: 1280
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:36 am

Re: UCONN v Cardozo(Ferrisjso's decision)

Postby mjb447 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:48 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:I also have the feeling many of the people on here are advising me to go to Cardozo because in their mind they can't understand someone wanting to not live in NYC because they would like to, which is a reason why I've taken all of the Cardozo advice with a grain of salt(even though on paper, I am aware that it is currently the best choice, I just don't think they're really valuing my geographic preference the same way I do).

I doubt this.

BigZuck

Diamond
Posts: 11730
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: UCONN v Cardozo(Ferrisjso's decision)

Postby BigZuck » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:51 pm

mjb447 wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:I also have the feeling many of the people on here are advising me to go to Cardozo because in their mind they can't understand someone wanting to not live in NYC because they would like to, which is a reason why I've taken all of the Cardozo advice with a grain of salt(even though on paper, I am aware that it is currently the best choice, I just don't think they're really valuing my geographic preference the same way I do).

I doubt this.

Yeah no they most definitely are not doing that

User avatar
Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver
Posts: 1225
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:55 pm

Re: UCONN v Cardozo(Ferrisjso's decision)

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:53 pm

BigZuck wrote:
mjb447 wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:I also have the feeling many of the people on here are advising me to go to Cardozo because in their mind they can't understand someone wanting to not live in NYC because they would like to, which is a reason why I've taken all of the Cardozo advice with a grain of salt(even though on paper, I am aware that it is currently the best choice, I just don't think they're really valuing my geographic preference the same way I do).

I doubt this.

Yeah no they most definitely are not doing that


Why did you even apply to schools in NYC then, if you're that against it?

User avatar
Ferrisjso

Gold
Posts: 2149
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:40 pm

Re: UCONN v Cardozo(Ferrisjso's decision)

Postby Ferrisjso » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:59 pm

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
mjb447 wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:I also have the feeling many of the people on here are advising me to go to Cardozo because in their mind they can't understand someone wanting to not live in NYC because they would like to, which is a reason why I've taken all of the Cardozo advice with a grain of salt(even though on paper, I am aware that it is currently the best choice, I just don't think they're really valuing my geographic preference the same way I do).

I doubt this.

Yeah no they most definitely are not doing that


Why did you even apply to schools in NYC then, if you're that against it?


It's where I grew up and it would be more convenient transit wise. I also applied several months ago, who was to say I wouldn't start getting all nostalgic and end up changing my mind? I wanted to keep staying in NYC on the table. Cardozo is in my favorite area of Manhattan and Brooklyn offered me the chance to get my JD in 2 years.

snw2367

New
Posts: 62
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:47 pm

Re: UCONN v Cardozo(Ferrisjso's decision)

Postby snw2367 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:59 pm

mjb447 wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:I also have the feeling many of the people on here are advising me to go to Cardozo because in their mind they can't understand someone wanting to not live in NYC because they would like to, which is a reason why I've taken all of the Cardozo advice with a grain of salt(even though on paper, I am aware that it is currently the best choice, I just don't think they're really valuing my geographic preference the same way I do).

I doubt this.


I hate NYC, love Boston and am going to UCONN. Still think cardozo- or any school in a city with decent public transit- is the better choice for you.
Last edited by snw2367 on Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cavalier1138

Platinum
Posts: 5062
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: UCONN v Cardozo(Ferrisjso's decision)

Postby cavalier1138 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:06 pm

mjb447 wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:I also have the feeling many of the people on here are advising me to go to Cardozo because in their mind they can't understand someone wanting to not live in NYC because they would like to, which is a reason why I've taken all of the Cardozo advice with a grain of salt(even though on paper, I am aware that it is currently the best choice, I just don't think they're really valuing my geographic preference the same way I do).

I doubt this.


Yeah, that's not even close. Gotta love what the mind can do when it's backed into a corner...

User avatar
Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver
Posts: 1225
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:55 pm

Re: UCONN v Cardozo(Ferrisjso's decision)

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:06 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:
Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
mjb447 wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:I also have the feeling many of the people on here are advising me to go to Cardozo because in their mind they can't understand someone wanting to not live in NYC because they would like to, which is a reason why I've taken all of the Cardozo advice with a grain of salt(even though on paper, I am aware that it is currently the best choice, I just don't think they're really valuing my geographic preference the same way I do).

I doubt this.

Yeah no they most definitely are not doing that


Why did you even apply to schools in NYC then, if you're that against it?


It's where I grew up and it would be more convenient transit wise. I also applied several months ago, who was to say I wouldn't start getting all nostalgic and end up changing my mind? I wanted to keep staying in NYC on the table. Cardozo is in my favorite area of Manhattan and Brooklyn offered me the chance to get my JD in 2 years.


Gotcha. Was just wondering since you seem willing to sacrifice what's in your best interest just so you could get out of NYC. It kinda seems like you might've been better off if you had just not applied to Cardozo lolol

uion1715

New
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:58 am

Re: UCONN v Cardozo(Ferrisjso's decision)

Postby uion1715 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:25 pm

It's not because people love NYC that they are calling for Cardozo. If that was the case, a thread like this (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=263629&start=100) would be a lot different. The TLS crowd values COA and employment outcome and in your situation, Cardozo is better than UConn in both aspects (Although many would argue that Cardozo is not that good of an outcome to begin with).

GoLandcrabs

New
Posts: 79
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:07 am

Re: UCONN v Cardozo(Ferrisjso's decision)

Postby GoLandcrabs » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:07 pm

Do you mind explaining why you want to to schools with no public transit (iirc you said you "liked the idea" of being a PD in rural Virginia) when you refuse to drive.

Because, if you think there is anywhere that isn't a major city with decent transit, I have some bad news.

User avatar
Ferrisjso

Gold
Posts: 2149
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:40 pm

Re: UCONN v Cardozo(Ferrisjso's decision)

Postby Ferrisjso » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:14 pm

Just came back from QU event. I was honestly super impressed. If it werent for the stips id be going and even with them i might! Did really well on the mock case and after my blunder at Cardozos mock class this really gave my confidence a boost!

Update UCONN called and said they were raising my scholly but didnt specify how much and said id get it in an email which i havent gotten yet. Super nervous about how big the increase is!

grades??

Silver
Posts: 985
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:55 pm

Re: UCONN v Cardozo(Ferrisjso's decision)

Postby grades?? » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:39 pm

I have come to the conclusion this has been just one giant troll. We should move on to other things because if its real, he's gonna ruin his life without us giving him gratification.

cavalier1138

Platinum
Posts: 5062
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: UCONN v Cardozo(Ferrisjso's decision)

Postby cavalier1138 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:47 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:Just came back from QU event. I was honestly super impressed. If it werent for the stips id be going and even with them i might! Did really well on the mock case and after my blunder at Cardozos mock class this really gave my confidence a boost!

Update UCONN called and said they were raising my scholly but didnt specify how much and said id get it in an email which i havent gotten yet. Super nervous about how big the increase is!


You're unbelievable. And not in a good way, like the song. In a terrible way, like the steady progress of antibiotic-resistant superbugs.

Nebby

Diamond
Posts: 31197
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: UCONN v Cardozo(Ferrisjso's decision)

Postby Nebby » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:50 pm

Unsubscribe

User avatar
dbalkaran

Silver
Posts: 514
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:16 pm

Re: UCONN v Cardozo(Ferrisjso's decision)

Postby dbalkaran » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:59 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:Just came back from QU event. I was honestly super impressed. If it werent for the stips id be going and even with them i might! Did really well on the mock case and after my blunder at Cardozos mock class this really gave my confidence a boost!

Update UCONN called and said they were raising my scholly but didnt specify how much and said id get it in an email which i havent gotten yet. Super nervous about how big the increase is!


I really, really think you need a year or two to figure out if you really want to go to law school. Yes, you absolutely need to consider your personal factors into where you go to law school, but you also need to be realistic about some realities that just aren't going to change. Not being able to drive and going to UConn Law just makes no sense and you have to be able to see that. Having some work experience will definitely be beneficial to you.

User avatar
lymenheimer

Gold
Posts: 3979
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:54 am

Re: UCONN v Cardozo(Ferrisjso's decision)

Postby lymenheimer » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:08 pm

I blunder all the time during cold calls at my T14. Still probably going to end up in my desired career path.

uion1715

New
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:58 am

Re: UCONN v Cardozo(Ferrisjso's decision)

Postby uion1715 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:13 pm

So you have gone from Cardozo/UConn -> UConn -> Widener -> UConn -> Quinnipiac. Holy moly.

EDIT: One more thing I am curious about since I'm not familiar with the area. Can you not drive in Quinnipiac and access internships/externships located in Hartford, etc.?

User avatar
Gitaroo_Dude

Silver
Posts: 546
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:06 pm

Re: UCONN v Cardozo(Ferrisjso's decision)

Postby Gitaroo_Dude » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:24 pm

Going to QU at this point would be the single worst decision any applicant has made this cycle.

You cannot do that, man.

T3TON

New
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:10 pm

Re: UCONN v Cardozo(Ferrisjso's decision)

Postby T3TON » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:25 pm

OP, not going or retaking >>> Cardoza >>> UConn >>> UConn and not being able to drive. I dont even know what to say about Widener and QU.

I hope you are not a troll. I hope you are keeping an open-mind. And I hope that if you do become a lawyer someday you exercise more judgment in the service of your clients than you have so far in this thread.

User avatar
Ferrisjso

Gold
Posts: 2149
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:40 pm

Re: UCONN v Cardozo(Ferrisjso's decision)

Postby Ferrisjso » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:44 pm

T3TON wrote:OP, not going or retaking >>> Cardoza >>> UConn >>> UConn and not being able to drive. I dont even know what to say about Widener and QU.

I hope you are not a troll. I hope you are keeping an open-mind. And I hope that if you do become a lawyer someday you exercise more judgment in the service of your clients than you have so far in this thread.


First off I said I have eliminated Widener from consideration. The three choices are UCONN, Cardozo and QU. I've also said I plan on learning to drive before law school, however this doesn't mean I shouldn't examine how feasible living without a car is at all these places and the only way i feel like I can see that is to investigate myself when I go.

User avatar
Ferrisjso

Gold
Posts: 2149
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:40 pm

Re: UCONN v Cardozo(Ferrisjso's decision)

Postby Ferrisjso » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:47 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:Just came back from QU event. I was honestly super impressed. If it werent for the stips id be going and even with them i might! Did really well on the mock case and after my blunder at Cardozos mock class this really gave my confidence a boost!

Update UCONN called and said they were raising my scholly but didnt specify how much and said id get it in an email which i havent gotten yet. Super nervous about how big the increase is!


You're unbelievable. And not in a good way, like the song. In a terrible way, like the steady progress of antibiotic-resistant superbugs.


None of this was called for, I didn't say anything wrong. If you don't want to be productive you can always just not post;)

User avatar
Ferrisjso

Gold
Posts: 2149
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:40 pm

Re: UCONN v Cardozo(Ferrisjso's decision)

Postby Ferrisjso » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:54 pm

uion1715 wrote:So you have gone from Cardozo/UConn -> UConn -> Widener -> UConn -> Quinnipiac. Holy moly.

EDIT: One more thing I am curious about since I'm not familiar with the area. Can you not drive in Quinnipiac and access internships/externships located in Hartford, etc.?


Well I know I could have gotten housing within walking range of the law school. There also is the chance I learn how to drive within the next several years. This was one of the advantages to UCONN, I think getting around without a car there is more feasible. I know many have expressed skepticism about this but the only way I can figure out is going there myself and making that assessment(after all the people who think UCONN without a car is impossible haven't actually tried doing UCONN without a car).

Note to posters-Please don't trash my alma matter, I have a great deal of respect for QU's academic programs and regardless of what you might think I do think their law school is quite underrated. Again I will probably not attend due to stips but I was absolutely blown away by their program. Most of the people trashing QU don't know the CT market and that the school actually does have a rather good reputation. Also I'm not taking a year off to work so please stop telling me to do that, that would be an utter disaster for me right now can you please focus on the three schools in question.

grades??

Silver
Posts: 985
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:55 pm

Re: UCONN v Cardozo(Ferrisjso's decision)

Postby grades?? » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:59 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:
uion1715 wrote:So you have gone from Cardozo/UConn -> UConn -> Widener -> UConn -> Quinnipiac. Holy moly.

EDIT: One more thing I am curious about since I'm not familiar with the area. Can you not drive in Quinnipiac and access internships/externships located in Hartford, etc.?


Well I know I could have gotten housing within walking range of the law school. There also is the chance I learn how to drive within the next several years. This was one of the advantages to UCONN, I think getting around without a car there is more feasible. I know many have expressed skepticism about this but the only way I can figure out is going there myself and making that assessment(after all the people who think UCONN without a car is impossible haven't actually tried doing UCONN without a car).

Note to posters-Please don't trash my alma matter, I have a great deal of respect for QU's academic programs and regardless of what you might think I do think their law school is quite underrated. Again I will probably not attend due to stips but I was absolutely blown away by their program. Most of the people trashing QU don't know the CT market and that the school actually does have a rather good reputation. Also I'm not taking a year off to work so please stop telling me to do that, that would be an utter disaster for me right now can you please focus on the three schools in question.


Truthfully based on the shit you have spewed the last 3 or so months on this board and now where we are at, I would ask you to leave this community please. If I was a mod, I would permaban you for being so dense.



Return to “Choosing a Law School?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests