QU v Cardozo(Ferrisjso's decision)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: UCONN v Cardozo(Ferrisjso's decision)

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:55 pm

TakeItToTrial wrote:Why are people lecturing Ferris on the merits of driving? If he doesn't want to drive, that's his call. This thread has become too paternalistic for my liking.

It's totally fine if he doesn't want to drive, but then he needs to live somewhere he can actually function without driving. I don't think Connecticut is going to be that place, is all.

mjb447

Silver

Postby mjb447 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:00 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:
snw2367 wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
snw2367 wrote:RE: Driving, I've lived in CT for all my life and if I want to get anywhere besides the gym down the street from my house, I need to take the highway. I suspect you'll have the same problem when it comes to summer internships. CT has a transit system (those sad buses), but it is pretty trash.

Okay i get driving but theres no way the highway is a pre req to getting around. Thats plain unreasonable! Theres a large percentage of even drivers who cant di the highway, stop trying to scare me now and be serious.

It's not a prereq for say, going to the doctor's or getting groceries, but it is often a prerequisite for going to shopping centers that have any useful store (best buy, barnes and nobles, etc) and most importantly is a prereq for getting to work.

Which means people cant survive without a car. Sorry for letting my frustration on this topic boil over it just gets me so mad. Dont believe the high way bit though cant imagine that, there has to be side streets might take a bit longer but hey prioritys.

Your priority should be succeeding in law school, not walking along Connecticut side streets.

TakeItToTrial wrote:Why are people lecturing Ferris on the merits of driving? If he doesn't want to drive, that's his call. This thread has become too paternalistic for my liking.

Welcome to TLS, where people who ask for advice about attending law school receive advice about attending law school. (I was going to have a less snarky addendum here, but Nony said basically what I wanted to say: Ferris's ability to drive is going to have a huge effect on his ability to get by in CT and succeed in law school if he goes there.)

lymenheimer

Gold

Postby lymenheimer » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:04 pm

Why are all you jerks such ableists? If ferris can't drive you shouldn't discriminate against him. Neither should the government or rural communities. Down with rural CT! Down with 80% of the US land mass!

Ferrisjso

Gold

Postby Ferrisjso » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:05 pm

mjb447 wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
snw2367 wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
snw2367 wrote:RE: Driving, I've lived in CT for all my life and if I want to get anywhere besides the gym down the street from my house, I need to take the highway. I suspect you'll have the same problem when it comes to summer internships. CT has a transit system (those sad buses), but it is pretty trash.

Okay i get driving but theres no way the highway is a pre req to getting around. Thats plain unreasonable! Theres a large percentage of even drivers who cant di the highway, stop trying to scare me now and be serious.

It's not a prereq for say, going to the doctor's or getting groceries, but it is often a prerequisite for going to shopping centers that have any useful store (best buy, barnes and nobles, etc) and most importantly is a prereq for getting to work.

Which means people cant survive without a car. Sorry for letting my frustration on this topic boil over it just gets me so mad. Dont believe the high way bit though cant imagine that, there has to be side streets might take a bit longer but hey prioritys.

Your priority should be succeeding in law school, not walking along Connecticut side streets.

Welcome to TLS, where people who ask for advice about attending law school receive advice about attending law school. (I was going to have a less snarky addendum here, but Nony said basically what I wanted to say: Ferris's ability to drive is going to have a huge effect on his ability to get by in CT and succeed in law school if he goes there.)

We actually were talking about driving on side streets not walking on them(which is what I do know and I actually enjoy it). SNW was saying that there is no way to drive from point A to point B without going on the highway, which is horrifying to me(a good chunk of the people in NY I know who drove aren't comfortable driving on a highway, they don't teach that on the drivers test either because there's an expectation many drivers just aren't going to go on the high way).

Ferrisjso

Gold

Postby Ferrisjso » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:07 pm

lymenheimer wrote:Why are all you jerks such ableists? If ferris can't drive you shouldn't discriminate against him. Neither should the government or rural communities. Down with rural CT! Down with 80% of the US land mass!

Sorry Cavalier someone upstaged you for the biggest ******* award. The fact you're laughing about the idea of not discriminating against drivers is kind of fucked up.

guynourmin

Gold

Postby guynourmin » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:07 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
Stylnator wrote:I'm a little confused. You went to Quinnipiac for 4 years. How can you not know that you need a car in CT? Did your friends just drive you around everywhere in undergrad?

Yeah that and I walked(quinnipac also has a limited shuttle service). I know it will be more necessary in CT but I'm trying to put it out as long as possible because it's going to be really tough for me to do. Going to try to dedicate my summer to this.

Have you explained elsewhere why driving is so hard for you to learn how to do?

Im going to be honest i find the idea that everyone is able to drive super offensive. So basically if you cant do it in 90% of the country youre *****. The way people who dont drive has treated always pisses me off. Yes I know Im going to have to drive to get around(or at least try)its reality, but honestly this reality is really disturbing and the fact not one other people seems even close to coming to the the conclusion makes me realize what a bubble New yorkers are in(which is part of the reason im leaving). Damm transplantings fucking hard. Cavaliers probably here somewhere shaking his head that driving effects my decisions​ more than 100k of high interest debt!

I don't understand what you're saying. Honestly. There are maybe half a dozen cities in this country where you could realistically be okay without ever driving and still be hyper-mobile. There are quite a few cities you could pull off only biking and ubering and be okay. You are talking about wanting to start a career that necessarily involves a decent amount of driving. What are you going to do when you're a suburban law firm that services multiple counties? I live in Chicago and can tell you we would never hire an attorney who didn't drive because we do send people to 4 different countries regularly. This problem would be so much worse in CT.

Also, btw,saying you're offended doesn't answer the question: why do you think learning to drive will be so difficult? I understand thinking our cities should be more transit-friendly, they should be, but driving is not a difficult task and you make it sound like it's going to be a task you may not be able to overcome. Is there a reason why or are you just being dramatic?

guynourmin

Gold

Postby guynourmin » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:08 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:
lymenheimer wrote:Why are all you jerks such ableists? If ferris can't drive you shouldn't discriminate against him. Neither should the government or rural communities. Down with rural CT! Down with 80% of the US land mass!

Sorry Cavalier someone upstaged you for the biggest ******* award. The fact you're laughing about the idea of not discriminating against drivers is kind of fucked up.

Testing. Edit

mjb447

Silver

Postby mjb447 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:12 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:
mjb447 wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
snw2367 wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:

We actually were talking about driving on side streets not walking on them(which is what I do know and I actually enjoy it). SNW was saying that there is no way to drive from point A to point B without going on the highway, which is horrifying to me(a good chunk of the people in NY I know who drove aren't comfortable driving on a highway, they don't teach that on the drivers test either because there's an expectation many drivers just aren't going to go on the high way).

Ah, I thought this was still related to walking everywhere, i.e., limited ability to walk on highways, but you don't believe there are places you can only get via highway so you're willing to make finding side streets to walk on a priority even if it takes longer. Hope this means you're open to the idea of learning to drive for CT life.

Ferrisjso

Gold

Postby Ferrisjso » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:21 pm

guybourdin wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
Stylnator wrote:I'm a little confused. You went to Quinnipiac for 4 years. How can you not know that you need a car in CT? Did your friends just drive you around everywhere in undergrad?

Yeah that and I walked(quinnipac also has a limited shuttle service). I know it will be more necessary in CT but I'm trying to put it out as long as possible because it's going to be really tough for me to do. Going to try to dedicate my summer to this.

Im going to be honest i find the idea that everyone is able to drive super offensive. So basically if you cant do it in 90% of the country youre *****. The way people who dont drive has treated always pisses me off. Yes I know Im going to have to drive to get around(or at least try)its reality, but honestly this reality is really disturbing and the fact not one other people seems even close to coming to the the conclusion makes me realize what a bubble New yorkers are in(which is part of the reason im leaving). Damm transplantings fucking hard. Cavaliers probably here somewhere shaking his head that driving effects my decisions​ more than 100k of high interest debt!

I don't understand what you're saying. Honestly. There are maybe half a dozen cities in this country where you could realistically be okay without ever driving and still be hyper-mobile. There are quite a few cities you could pull off only biking and ubering and be okay. You are talking about wanting to start a career that necessarily involves a decent amount of driving. What are you going to do when you're a suburban law firm that services multiple counties? I live in Chicago and can tell you we would never hire an attorney who didn't drive because we do send people to 4 different countries regularly. This problem would be so much worse in CT.

Also, btw,saying you're offended doesn't answer the question: why do you think learning to drive will be so difficult? I understand thinking our cities should be more transit-friendly, they should be, but driving is not a difficult task and you make it sound like it's going to be a task you may not be able to overcome. Is there a reason why or are you just being dramatic?

Yeah, aside from a few places in the US I wouldn't say that's objectively true, that's an opinion. I have both ADD and Anxiety(yes, I've been diagnosed with both of these things, please don't ask). Can we just end the whole driver wars everyone, I'm going to give driving the old college try this summer, can't we leave this thread alone until I have an update?

Ferrisjso

Gold

Postby Ferrisjso » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:24 pm

mjb447 wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
mjb447 wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
snw2367 wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:

Ah, I thought this was still related to walking everywhere, i.e., limited ability to walk on highways, but you don't believe there are places you can only get via highway so you're willing to make finding side streets to walk on a priority even if it takes longer. Hope this means you're open to the idea of learning to drive for CT life.

Compared to driving in NYC or on a highway that's a really easy choice for me to make.

guynourmin

Gold

Postby guynourmin » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:28 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:

Yeah, aside from a few places in the US I wouldn't say that's objectively true, that's an opinion. I have both ADD and Anxiety(yes, I've been diagnosed with both of these things, please don't ask). Can we just end the whole driver wars everyone, I'm going to give driving the old college try this summer, can't we leave this thread alone until I have an update?

Some quick googling says 210 million Americans (in 2010, population 310mm) have drivers licenses. That includes children, elderly, etc. That means more people in this country know how to drive than know how to make pancakes from scratch.

uion1715

New

Postby uion1715 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:31 pm

guybourdin wrote:Some quick googling says 210 million Americans (in 2010, population 310mm) have drivers licenses. That includes children, elderly, etc. That means more people in this country know how to drive than know how to make pancakes from scratch.

Can confirm that I have a license but have not made pancakes from scratch.

snw2367

New

Postby snw2367 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:59 pm

uion1715 wrote:
guybourdin wrote:Some quick googling says 210 million Americans (in 2010, population 310mm) have drivers licenses. That includes children, elderly, etc. That means more people in this country know how to drive than know how to make pancakes from scratch.

I tried to make pancakes from scratch last week. Melted butter in the microwave. Left butter in microwave. Forgot about butter. Made pancakes without butter :(

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:08 pm

snw2367 wrote:
uion1715 wrote:

I tried to make pancakes from scratch last week. Melted butter in the microwave. Left butter in microwave. Forgot about butter. Made pancakes without butter :(

Huh? So you're saying that I don't need to go to IHOP to get pankcakes??

mjb447

Silver

Postby mjb447 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:31 pm

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:
snw2367 wrote:
uion1715 wrote:

Huh? So you're saying that I don't need to go to IHOP to get pankcakes??

I think the consensus is that Ferris should learn to make pancakes from scratch, but I'm not following that closely.

UVA2B

Gold

Postby UVA2B » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:46 pm

Can we get a standing ovation for creating the shittiest choosing thread in TLS history? Seriously, ferris built up his choosing thread in advance by giving shitty, shitty advice for months beforehand and foreshadowing his own choosing thread, gave really non-sensical options from the outset, and doubled down ridiculous restrictions like not being able to drive.

Ladies and gentleman, this is a subtler bearsgrl 2017.

TakeItToTrial

Bronze

Postby TakeItToTrial » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:52 pm

mjb447 wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
snw2367 wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:

Well, Uber is always an option (although Ferris may want to save that money to pay down his 6-figure debt.)

TakeItToTrial

Bronze

Postby TakeItToTrial » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:53 pm

UVA2B wrote:Can we get a standing ovation for creating the shittiest choosing thread in TLS history? Seriously, ferris built up his choosing thread in advance by giving shitty, shitty advice for months beforehand and foreshadowing his own choosing thread, gave really non-sensical options from the outset, and doubled down ridiculous restrictions like not being able to drive.

Ladies and gentleman, this is a subtler bearsgrl 2017.

I lol'd

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:10 pm

TakeItToTrial wrote:Well, Uber is always an option (although Ferris may want to save that money to pay down his 6-figure debt.)

I've lived places with neither public transport nor reliable Uber.

Stylnator

Silver

Postby Stylnator » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:32 pm

Ferris, I've been to the law school. Trust me when I say that there is NO public transport that will allow you to have a functioning day to day life. It is not downtown Hartford. Every direction you could face on campus turns into a residential neighborhood.

I just don't want you attending thinking it's in some major metropolitan area with public transport. That's NOT the case. CT public transport is absolute shit, why do you think we're one of the most unequal states in America?

Ferrisjso

Gold

Postby Ferrisjso » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:35 pm

[quote="UVA2B"]Can we get a standing ovation for creating the shittiest choosing thread in TLS history? Seriously, ferris built up his choosing thread in advance by giving shitty, shitty advice for months beforehand and foreshadowing his own choosing thread, gave really non-sensical options from the outset, and doubled down ridiculous restrictions like not being able to drive.

Ladies and gentleman, this is a subtler bearsgrl 2017.[/

Yes having difficulty driving is ridicolous, have never heard anything like that before lol

Stylnator

Silver

Postby Stylnator » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:39 pm

Also Feris, highway driving is crucial to CT. I'm pretty sure you can't even get to downtown without going on and off the interstate (and the court is there so..)

I'm sorry if I'm just piling on, but as someone from CT I just wanted to give you a realistic picture of the driving situation.

kalvano

Diamond

Postby kalvano » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:21 am

This whole thread is fascinating. I can't even begin to imagine not driving, much less not driving on the highway. That's the best when it's a little bit open and you can get up to 90-95 and cruise.

Moneytrees

Silver

Postby Moneytrees » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:47 am

I can't tell if this is an elaborate flame or not, but man, I think Ferris really needs to take a deep breath and realize that he doesn't have to sign up for over 100k of non-dischargeable loans RIGHT NOW.

I basically had the same mindset as you when I graduated- I wanted to go to law school right away, graduate at 24, and begin my career. Thank God I took a couple years off. Working full time allowed me to gain some perspective and really make sure law school was the right choice for me (I worked as a paralegal). Perhaps most importantly, I enjoyed my early 20s (I saved some money, traveled, spent plenty of time with the people I cared about). Once you start law school, you basically are signing up for years worth of long hours at work, little sleep and high anxiety. I'm not saying it's impossible to enjoy law school or derive satisfaction from your career, but there is literally no rush to get on the law school train for a 22 year old. From my perspective, law school is the beginning of your career and the end of your halcyon days as a young adult, so I'd advice any current college senior to take some time off from school, get some real work experience, and gain some life perspective.

I feel myself going off on an existential tangent, and I don't mean to come off as overly paternalistic. I just see a lot of myself in you and the K-JDs at my school (who are generally shocked at how different law school is from college, btw) and don't want you to feel like your only option is to go to law school immediately. Law school isn't going anywhere.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:35 am

kalvano wrote:This whole thread is fascinating. I can't even begin to imagine not driving, much less not driving on the highway. That's the best when it's a little bit open and you can get up to 90-95 and cruise.

Highways are so much better than normal streets, right??? Love them, unless there's tons of traffic.

Return to “Choosing a Law School?