QU v Cardozo(Ferrisjso's decision)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Ferrisjso
still learning numbers

Re: UCONN v Cardozo(Ferrisjso's decision)

Postby Ferrisjso » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:23 pm

potus wrote:I'm also waiting for a reply from Cardozo about additional financial aid considerations and they've also told me that they will get back to me by end of March. Hoping we can keep in touch about negotiations. I'm planning on reaching back out to the Dean on Monday to check in with him before going to Admitted Students Day, where at least I'll be able to then catch him in-person.

Sounds good, Im going to be at ASD as well.

potus

Postby potus » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:28 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:
potus wrote:I'm also waiting for a reply from Cardozo about additional financial aid considerations and they've also told me that they will get back to me by end of March. Hoping we can keep in touch about negotiations. I'm planning on reaching back out to the Dean on Monday to check in with him before going to Admitted Students Day, where at least I'll be able to then catch him in-person.

Well, good luck. For Cardozo, you could also do the May entry option and find a flexible job like consultancy to finance some of your tuition for a year.

waldorf

Postby waldorf » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:35 pm

Ferrisjo, seriously. Do you have a plan on how to pay back this debt? Or are you just going to sign your name on the loan form and "deal with it later"? You NEED to understand what you are getting yourself into. I don't advise six figure debt for the T14 because I have SEEN what it takes to pay that off and it's pretty effing miserable. There is no reason you should be taking out this kind of debt for a TT. None. Zip. Nada.

guynourmin

Postby guynourmin » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:44 pm

bwaldorf wrote:Do you have a plan on how to pay back this debt?

waldorf

Postby waldorf » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:46 pm

guybourdin wrote:
bwaldorf wrote:Do you have a plan on how to pay back this debt?

You're at 1111 posts! Make a wish! :P

jjcorvino

Postby jjcorvino » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:46 pm

I have disagreed with you on pretty much every post. However, if you truly won't listen to reason then Cardozo is your best option. I wish you all the best.

Stylnator

Postby Stylnator » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:48 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Stylnator wrote:
UVA2B wrote:I'll be brief, since you can't seem to be:

1. What job do you want?
2. What is the COA at each school?
3. Where do you want to work?
4. What's your fallback option if you can't be a lawyer after graduating?

At minimum answer these questions before trying to dismiss any retake/reapply/don't go advice. It's likely gonna be a don't go, but I think we all know how great you are at being rational about your options.

I've followed your interactions with ferrisjso and I've never quite jumped in against your condescension/sheer arrogance, but I think this is the last straw. If you are getting frustrated with his/her choices then just stop trying. Personal attacks like the bold above are no way to try and get your points across. Sit down, UVA.

Ferrisjso - go to Cardozo. With the schools you are considering money will be the biggest factor. Go to the financially safe option and run with it. If you want to escape family and friends in NYC then law school can help build a new community.

What do you think is worse? Someone being "condescending" (actually, he was just acknowledging that the OP has been absolutely fucking ridiculous about this particular point) or being six figures in debt without a job to pay it off?

I know that I'd prefer the hurt feelings, but if you'd prefer the debt, by all means, continue advising financial suicide in the name of being kind.

Oh give me a fucking break, I never made any claim towards my own personal preferences on debt. Being rude under the guise of honesty is the oldest fucking excuse in the book. Believe it or not, you CAN provide constructive advice without also coming off as an asshole. Or in your case, a self proclaimed white knight.

Sorry to temporarily derail this thread Ferrisjso, this will be my last comment here.

cavalier1138

Postby cavalier1138 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:51 pm

Stylnator wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
Stylnator wrote:
UVA2B wrote:I'll be brief, since you can't seem to be:

1. What job do you want?
2. What is the COA at each school?
3. Where do you want to work?
4. What's your fallback option if you can't be a lawyer after graduating?

At minimum answer these questions before trying to dismiss any retake/reapply/don't go advice. It's likely gonna be a don't go, but I think we all know how great you are at being rational about your options.

I've followed your interactions with ferrisjso and I've never quite jumped in against your condescension/sheer arrogance, but I think this is the last straw. If you are getting frustrated with his/her choices then just stop trying. Personal attacks like the bold above are no way to try and get your points across. Sit down, UVA.

Ferrisjso - go to Cardozo. With the schools you are considering money will be the biggest factor. Go to the financially safe option and run with it. If you want to escape family and friends in NYC then law school can help build a new community.

What do you think is worse? Someone being "condescending" (actually, he was just acknowledging that the OP has been absolutely fucking ridiculous about this particular point) or being six figures in debt without a job to pay it off?

I know that I'd prefer the hurt feelings, but if you'd prefer the debt, by all means, continue advising financial suicide in the name of being kind.

Oh give me a fucking break, I never made any claim towards my own personal preferences on debt. Being rude under the guise of honesty is the oldest fucking excuse in the book. Believe it or not, you CAN provide constructive advice without also coming off as an asshole. Or in your case, a self proclaimed white knight.

Sorry to temporarily derail this thread Ferrisjso, this will be my last comment here.

Sure, I could provide advice without "white knighting" (back to 4chan with that, please), but since reasoned debate has literally never worked with this OP, I opt for bluntness. And yes, by advocating the OP take on a significant amount of debt at a school that won't let him pay it off, you did, in fact, express a preference on debt.

Edit: Not sorry at all about derailing this thread. This is ridiculous.

Ferrisjso
still learning numbers

Postby Ferrisjso » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:40 pm

potus wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:

Well, good luck. For Cardozo, you could also do the May entry option and find a flexible job like consultancy to finance some of your tuition for a year.

What's may entry?

Pomeranian

Postby Pomeranian » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:43 pm

Can you retake? With a 160+ you're looking at a full ride (or near full ride) at Cardozo.

mjb447

Postby mjb447 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:51 pm

Pomeranian wrote:Can you retake?

:lol:

Ferrisjso
still learning numbers

Postby Ferrisjso » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:54 pm

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:Ok finished reading your post.

1 vote for Cardozo. You should make a poll as well, as that might help you see what people think.

I would, but if it's not a unanimous decision it's super close. I know Cardozo is the best financial decision, I'm just looking for any way to be able to go to Connecticut because I prefer it to NY. To be honest, I expected this but was hoping one or two people would think UCONN was the best choice, just as I feared , no one's bit. I have asked both schools for more money so I'll see where that leads me but as of now assuming Richmond doesn't match Cardozo, it looks like I really don't have a choice here.
Last edited by Ferrisjso on Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ferrisjso
still learning numbers

Postby Ferrisjso » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:56 pm

Pomeranian wrote:Can you retake? With a 160+ you're looking at a full ride (or near full ride) at Cardozo.

I've taken the test three times, 155,156 and 148.

Gitaroo_Dude

Postby Gitaroo_Dude » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:31 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:was hoping one or two people would think UCONN was the best choice, just as I feared , no one's bit.

This is incredibly problematic reasoning. It sounds like deep down you know these aren't good options, but are looking for external validation to help justify going forward with these schools. Even if one or two people tell your UConn is the best choice, don't listen to them. I think you already know what the right choice is, so I hope you go with that part of yourself.

Ferrisjso
still learning numbers

Postby Ferrisjso » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:37 pm

bwaldorf wrote:Ferrisjo, seriously. Do you have a plan on how to pay back this debt? Or are you just going to sign your name on the loan form and "deal with it later"? You NEED to understand what you are getting yourself into. I don't advise six figure debt for the T14 because I have SEEN what it takes to pay that off and it's pretty effing miserable. There is no reason you should be taking out this kind of debt for a TT. None. Zip. Nada.

There's plans that cap the amount you pay back at 10% of income(not that I'll necessarily need it, but it's good to know that things like exist just in case), I didn't know that before and that eased my anxiety a bit. Also I've seen conversations like this play out dozens of times, I already know the arguments about staying out of debt, I have been looking into this since I was a sophomore in college. Also I rounded up from about 90k to get to 100 if I add in tuition increases, books etc.

Ferrisjso
still learning numbers

Postby Ferrisjso » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:39 pm

Gitaroo_Dude wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:was hoping one or two people would think UCONN was the best choice, just as I feared , no one's bit.

This is incredibly problematic reasoning. It sounds like deep down you know these aren't good options, but are looking for external validation to help justify going forward with these schools. Even if one or two people tell your UConn is the best choice, don't listen to them. I think you already know what the right choice is, so I hope you go with that part of yourself.

I know UCONN isn't the best choice, I just prefer Connecticut to NYC and want a somewhat rational excuse to go where I want to go. Everyone in my life who doesn't know about law school has told me UCONN and everyone who does has told me Cardozo.

jjcorvino

Postby jjcorvino » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:00 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:
Gitaroo_Dude wrote:

I know UCONN isn't the best choice, I just prefer Connecticut to NYC and want a somewhat rational excuse to go where I want to go. Everyone in my life who doesn't know about law school has told me UCONN and everyone who does has told me Cardozo.

You still haven't answered the question that has been asked multiple times. How do you plan to pay back your loans with each option?

I think the reason you are not answering, is you know it is likely not going to happen. That is why you are bringing up the "10% of income". Do you actually think you will be ok paying back 10% loans for your entire life (because the interest will beat your payments)? If the answer is that you are ok paying $4k a year post tax on a $40k job forever that is fine.

Either way the best option is still Cardozo.

mjb447

Postby mjb447 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:10 pm

You know what TLS is concerned about in these "choosing a school" threads - cost of attendance and employment outcomes. Not that surprising that your geographical preference isn't winning out when it doesn't have these considerations on its side.

uion1715

Postby uion1715 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:25 pm

Have you ever looked at the IBR calculator? I threw in some quick calculations here: https://studentloanhero.com/calculators ... alculator/

If you start off making $50k a year and gets a 3.5% income raise every year, doing IBR means you would have $120k "forgiven" in 20 years. First of all, paying off a loan, no matter how small (Max. payment under my calculation came out to be $600 a month), for 20 years sounds terrifying. Second of all, relying on any IBR plan is risky. Finally, the $120k forgiven results in a $45k+ tax bomb at the end of the 20 year period.

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:59 am

Ferrisjso wrote:

1 vote for Cardozo. You should make a poll as well, as that might help you see what people think.

I would, but if it's not a unanimous decision it's super close. I know Cardozo is the best financial decision, I'm just looking for any way to be able to go to Connecticut because I prefer it to NY. To be honest, I expected this but was hoping one or two people would think UCONN was the best choice, just as I feared , no one's bit. I have asked both schools for more money so I'll see where that leads me but as of now assuming Richmond doesn't match Cardozo, it looks like I really don't have a choice here.

Hmm is that $14.5k TOTAL from UCONN or per year? I think that you should hold off on this until after they get back to you with money. They might get back to you with a better offer and there's the in-state tuition.

Ferrisjso
still learning numbers

Postby Ferrisjso » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:22 pm

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:

Hmm is that $14.5k TOTAL from UCONN or per year? I think that you should hold off on this until after they get back to you with money. They might get back to you with a better offer and there's the in-state tuition.

Per year. The in state tuition the second and third year is the main reason im still considering it. They also have made it clear the chance of increasing my offer exists and if it does, I will probably be more inclined to take the 30-60k risk on the in state tuition.

Ferrisjso
still learning numbers

Postby Ferrisjso » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:54 pm

Also for the sake of giving more information I also have a 30k per year scholly to Brooklyn for a two year program and have been accepted to CUNY. Brooklyn would only cost 70k if I found a way to commute(practical way) but without that it's basically the same price as UCONN and CUNY would be even cheaper, but I really, really, really don't like LIC.

cavalier1138

Postby cavalier1138 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:23 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:Also for the sake of giving more information I also have a 30k per year scholly to Brooklyn for a two year program and have been accepted to CUNY. Brooklyn would only cost 70k if I found a way to commute(practical way) but without that it's basically the same price as UCONN and CUNY would be even cheaper, but I really, really, really don't like LIC.

Since your thread didn't start with the words, "Ever since I was a child, I've dreamed of working in local public interest offices in NYC," CUNY shouldn't be an option. Not liking Long Island City is a fucking stupid reason to not consider CUNY when you have about a billion other reasons that that school isn't a good fit for you.

I'm also curious how you plan on paying back the money with that PAYE plan. Have you actually familiarized yourself with how long that plan takes to pay off the loans? What about the tax bomb?

Ferrisjso
still learning numbers

Postby Ferrisjso » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:44 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:Also for the sake of giving more information I also have a 30k per year scholly to Brooklyn for a two year program and have been accepted to CUNY. Brooklyn would only cost 70k if I found a way to commute(practical way) but without that it's basically the same price as UCONN and CUNY would be even cheaper, but I really, really, really don't like LIC.

Since your thread didn't start with the words, "Ever since I was a child, I've dreamed of working in local public interest offices in NYC," CUNY shouldn't be an option. Not liking Long Island City is a fucking stupid reason to not consider CUNY when you have about a billion other reasons that that school isn't a good fit for you.

I'm also curious how you plan on paying back the money with that PAYE plan. Have you actually familiarized yourself with how long that plan takes to pay off the loans? What about the tax bomb?

I've read you and other's describe the details of the system many, many times. I am aware of the 45k tax bomb. If I go to UCONN it is likely I will get substantial outside financial support.

cavalier1138

Postby cavalier1138 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:50 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:I've read you and other's describe the details of the system many, many times. I am aware of the 45k tax bomb. If I go to UCONN it is likely I will get substantial outside financial support.

...what does that even mean? Are you going to have a mafia don pay off your debts for you in exchange for a favor? Is your family only going to pay for law school if you go somewhere that gives you a <66% chance of being a lawyer after graduation?

But you're probably right. You should take the architecture of the school into account.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”