QU v Cardozo(Ferrisjso's decision) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: UCONN v Cardozo(Ferrisjso's decision)

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:15 pm

The only reason I held out that long was that my boyfriend/friends drove me everywhere my senior year of high school (not proud but that's what I did) and then I went to a college that didn't let freshmen keep cars on campus anyway. When I could take a car up for sophomore year, that's what got me to learn.

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:18 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:The only reason I held out that long was that my boyfriend/friends drove me everywhere my senior year of high school (not proud but that's what I did) and then I went to a college that didn't let freshmen keep cars on campus anyway. When I could take a car up for sophomore year, that's what got me to learn.
I never understood why some colleges don't let freshman do that. Is it like a parking space issue with upper-classmen or something?

Stylnator

Silver

Post by Stylnator » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:20 pm

Mikey wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:The only reason I held out that long was that my boyfriend/friends drove me everywhere my senior year of high school (not proud but that's what I did) and then I went to a college that didn't let freshmen keep cars on campus anyway. When I could take a car up for sophomore year, that's what got me to learn.
I never understood why some colleges don't let freshman do that. Is it like a parking space issue with upper-classmen or something?
If my school allowed freshman to have cars on campus all hell would break loose.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:26 pm

Both space and ideology - I went to a little residential school in the middle of nowhere where bonding and creating campus community (and extracurriculars) was a big thing. They wanted people to stick around, especially on the weekends. You had to live on campus until senior year and you had to have a meal plan, so you didn't have to go anywhere (and you could walk downtown for necessities).

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:27 pm

Stylnator wrote:
Mikey wrote:
If my school allowed freshman to have cars on campus all hell would break loose.
Why though?

My school allows anyone to have a car and I don't see any problems here

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:28 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:The repayment plan is my last last resort option and If I have to rely on it i do not think I will be attending...
But you don't know that you'll have to rely on IBR/PAYE until you don't get the salary you want. So by the time you know if you have to rely on it, you won't have a choice.

Stylnator

Silver

Post by Stylnator » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:32 pm

Mikey wrote:
Stylnator wrote:
Mikey wrote:
Why though?

My school allows anyone to have a car and I don't see any problems here
Sorry should've clarified. Parking. Parking spots are basically gold to students + professors. There just isn't enough room for everyone

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:47 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:The repayment plan is my last last resort option and If I have to rely on it i do not think I will be attending...
But you don't know that you'll have to rely on IBR/PAYE until you don't get the salary you want. So by the time you know if you have to rely on it, you won't have a choice.
I gave him the math last page. I think he knows (hopefully)

snw2367

New

Post by snw2367 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:54 pm

RE: Driving, I've lived in CT for all my life and if I want to get anywhere besides the gym down the street from my house, I need to take the highway. I suspect you'll have the same problem when it comes to summer internships. CT has a transit system (those sad buses), but it is pretty trash.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:17 pm

Re:sty

I see, that's fair.

My school gives people parking depending on their schedule so that way they reduce that pressure of not having parking on campus. But they let anyone, even freshman get a chance at getting a parking pass.

So I guess my school has restrictions too, it's just different

Ferrisjso

Gold

Post by Ferrisjso » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:50 pm

snw2367 wrote:RE: Driving, I've lived in CT for all my life and if I want to get anywhere besides the gym down the street from my house, I need to take the highway. I suspect you'll have the same problem when it comes to summer internships. CT has a transit system (those sad buses), but it is pretty trash.
Okay i get driving but theres no way the highway is a pre req to getting around. Thats plain unreasonable! Theres a large percentage of even drivers who cant di the highway, stop trying to scare me now and be serious.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:52 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:
snw2367 wrote:RE: Driving, I've lived in CT for all my life and if I want to get anywhere besides the gym down the street from my house, I need to take the highway. I suspect you'll have the same problem when it comes to summer internships. CT has a transit system (those sad buses), but it is pretty trash.
Okay i get driving but theres no way the highway is a pre req to getting around. Thats plain unreasonable! Theres a large percentage of even drivers who
cant di the highway, stop trying to scare me now and be serious.
Quoting for posterity.

snw2367

New

Post by snw2367 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:56 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:
Okay i get driving but theres no way the highway is a pre req to getting around. Thats plain unreasonable! Theres a large percentage of even drivers who cant di the highway, stop trying to scare me now and be serious.
It's not a prereq for say, going to the doctor's or getting groceries, but it is often a prerequisite for going to shopping centers that have any useful store (best buy, barnes and nobles, etc) and most importantly is a prereq for getting to work.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Ferrisjso

Gold

Post by Ferrisjso » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:58 pm

guybourdin wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
Stylnator wrote:I'm a little confused. You went to Quinnipiac for 4 years. How can you not know that you need a car in CT? Did your friends just drive you around everywhere in undergrad?
Yeah that and I walked(quinnipac also has a limited shuttle service). I know it will be more necessary in CT but I'm trying to put it out as long as possible because it's going to be really tough for me to do. Going to try to dedicate my summer to this.
Have you explained elsewhere why driving is so hard for you to learn how to do?
Im going to be honest i find the idea that everyone is able to drive super offensive. So basically if you cant do it in 90% of the country youre *****. The way people who dont drive has treated always pisses me off. Yes I know Im going to have to drive to get around(or at least try)its reality, but honestly this reality is really disturbing and the fact not one other people seems even close to coming to the the conclusion makes me realize what a bubble New yorkers are in(which is part of the reason im leaving). Damm transplantings fucking hard. Cavaliers probably here somewhere shaking his head that driving effects my decision more than 100k of high interest debt!

Ferrisjso

Gold

Post by Ferrisjso » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:02 pm

snw2367 wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
It's not a prereq for say, going to the doctor's or getting groceries, but it is often a prerequisite for going to shopping centers that have any useful store (best buy, barnes and nobles, etc) and most importantly is a prereq for getting to work.
Which means people cant survive without a car. Sorry for letting my frustration on this topic boil over it just gets me so mad. Dont believe the high way bit though cant imagine that, there has to be side streets might take a bit longer but hey prioritys.

snw2367

New

Post by snw2367 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:06 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
Stylnator wrote:I'm a little confused. You went to Quinnipiac for 4 years. How can you not know that you need a car in CT? Did your friends just drive you around everywhere in undergrad?
Yeah that and I walked(quinnipac also has a limited shuttle service). I know it will be more necessary in CT but I'm trying to put it out as long as possible because it's going to be really tough for me to do. Going to try to dedicate my summer to this.
Have you explained elsewhere why driving is so hard for you to learn how to do?
Im going to be honest i find the idea that everyone is able to drive super offensive. So basically if you cant do it in 90% of the country youre *****. The way people who dont drive has treated always pisses me off. Yes I know Im going to have to drive to get around(or at least try)its reality, but honestly this reality is really disturbing and the fact not one other people seems even close to coming to the the conclusion makes me realize what a bubble New yorkers are in(which is part of the reason im leaving). Damm transplantings fucking hard. Cavaliers probably here somewhere shaking his head that driving effects my decision more than 100k of high interest debt!
What? No one here is saying everyone can drive. They are saying in order to function outside of a public transit system, you should be able to drive in order to be independent. Could my sister get around by asking me for rides? Certainly. That doesn't mean her life didn't become x10 easier once she got her license. I don't drive in Boston, but I am able to get everywhere I need. Why is this? Because of a (semi)functional, expansive public transit system that makes my car-free life ez pz lemon-squeezy.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:06 pm

Ferris please go to Cardozo :cry:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

snw2367

New

Post by snw2367 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:07 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:
snw2367 wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
Which means people cant survive without a car. Sorry for letting my frustration on this topic boil over it just gets me so mad. Dont believe the high way bit though cant imagine that, there has to be side streets might take a bit longer but hey prioritys.
Everything I need is on the other side of a river that only can be crossed via highway or a one hour detour upstate. I think this is why some people are saying to take time off and get a job- to get a picture of what your actual life will be like in CT.

uion1715

New

Post by uion1715 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:16 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:
snw2367 wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
Dude, I got my license last week. I live in LA and have survived on public transportation and Uber for the 23 years of my life. But driving v. relying on public transportation/walking is a world of difference.

Also, I just looked up Storrs and it is a 40-minute drive on the highway from Hartford, which is where I would assume a lot of CT legal internships/externships are located at.

snw2367

New

Post by snw2367 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:24 pm

uion1715 wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
snw2367 wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
Dude, I got my license last week. I live in LA and have survived on public transportation and Uber for the 23 years of my life. But driving v. relying on public transportation/walking is a world of difference.

Also, I just looked up Storrs and it is a 40-minute drive on the highway from Hartford, which is where I would assume a lot of CT legal internships/externships are located at.
UConn main campus is in Storrs- the law school is in the residential/suburban side of Hartford near West Hartford.

uion1715

New

Post by uion1715 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:29 pm

Ah, thanks for correcting me. The school is next to a seminary?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

snw2367

New

Post by snw2367 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:41 pm

uion1715 wrote:Ah, thanks for correcting me. The school is next to a seminary?
Yes, just in case you need a little Godly wisdom :D

Ferrisjso

Gold

Post by Ferrisjso » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:36 pm

uion1715 wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
snw2367 wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:

That was one of the main appeals of Hartford that it was a central location with PT.

Ferrisjso

Gold

Post by Ferrisjso » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:36 pm

uion1715 wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
snw2367 wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:

Your story makes me feel better.

TakeItToTrial

Bronze

Post by TakeItToTrial » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:48 pm

Why are people lecturing Ferris on the merits of driving? If he doesn't want to drive, that's his call. This thread has become too paternalistic for my liking.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”