QU v Cardozo(Ferrisjso's decision)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Johann

Re: UCONN v Cardozo(Ferrisjso's decision)

Postby Johann » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:36 pm

law sucks. why wouldnt a large part of that be self selection? not understanding that huge amounts of people decide not to cut their teeth working 50 hr weeks in stressful intense job environments making 50k and networking 5hrs a week is probably something you shouldnt speculate about if you havent worked as a lawyer.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:48 pm

Why does law suck more for UConn grads than grads at higher ranked schools who go onto soul sucking biglaw?
I understand law sucks generally, but let's not pretend UConn students are especially woke or that employment data isn't the best criteria for judging a law school's #1 purpose: to produce lawyers.

jjcorvino

Postby jjcorvino » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:54 pm

JohannDeMann wrote:law sucks. why wouldnt a large part of that be self selection? not understanding that huge amounts of people decide not to cut their teeth working 50 hr weeks in stressful intense job environments making 50k and networking 5hrs a week is probably something you shouldnt speculate about if you havent worked as a lawyer.

Why did they go to law school then?

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:03 pm

Lols at everyone still attempting to convince Ferris of anything. its obvious that Ferris already had made their decision before posting and that OP was just hoping that somebody will validate it.

It's clear that nothing will convince Ferris of how horrendous of a decision going to UCOnn at that price is, let alone talk him out of choosing a law school in the same manner that a middle schooler selects which summer camp to attend.

It's obvious that Ferris views Law School as "College 2.0" and doesn't understand that it's literally a vocational school and so the only thing that should be considered is....well employment statistics and return on investment.

Please just attend UConn and stop asking us to validate what you already plan to do lol rather than get defensive and say things like "your advice isn't very helpful" if they don't conform with your already determined plans.

Johann

Postby Johann » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:06 pm

jjcorvino wrote:
JohannDeMann wrote:law sucks. why wouldnt a large part of that be self selection? not understanding that huge amounts of people decide not to cut their teeth working 50 hr weeks in stressful intense job environments making 50k and networking 5hrs a week is probably something you shouldnt speculate about if you havent worked as a lawyer.

because they havent worked as a lawyer. the same reason you're asking these questions and not getting it. 50-80% of my law school friend group self selected out of legal employment. every year people leave the law. its a brutal career.

Johann

Postby Johann » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:13 pm

and as for why uconn more than cardozo, i just took the poster ahead of me at their word that uconn had a larger part time program of people already working jobs/having a career

jjcorvino

Postby jjcorvino » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:32 pm

JohannDeMann wrote:
jjcorvino wrote:

because they havent worked as a lawyer. the same reason you're asking these questions and not getting it. 50-80% of my law school friend group self selected out of legal employment. every year people leave the law. its a brutal career.

You are making it seem like people self select out at UNC which explains bad employment numbers. What is it about people that go to UNC which would make them self select at a higher rate than other schools?

uion1715

Postby uion1715 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:07 pm

JohannDeMann wrote:and as for why uconn more than cardozo, i just took the poster ahead of me at their word that uconn had a larger part time program of people already working jobs/having a career

Cardozo had 80 PT matriculants and UConn had 27, BTW.

Johann

Postby Johann » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:14 pm

uion1715 wrote:
JohannDeMann wrote:and as for why uconn more than cardozo, i just took the poster ahead of me at their word that uconn had a larger part time program of people already working jobs/having a career

alright then. as i said, was just taking the poster ahead of me at their word.

cavalier1138

Postby cavalier1138 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:31 pm

JohannDeMann wrote:
uion1715 wrote:

alright then. as i said, was just taking the poster ahead of me at their word.

Well, that was a mistake. It was also entirely ridiculous to think that even though no 0L knows how unbelievably terrible the law is (it's soooo bad, you guys, that's why no one actually becomes a lawyer for more than a year), apparently all the 0Ls attending UConn are ahead of the game and have predetermined that they want to go to law school to get a coveted "JD Advantage" job.

Nebby
amateur huffpo

Postby Nebby » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:11 pm

Uconn seems like a terrible choice for you ferris

Ferrisjso
Comptroller General of Cloudcuckooland

Postby Ferrisjso » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:26 pm

Nebby wrote:Uconn seems like a terrible choice for you ferris

Financially, you have a point(which is why I'm desperately trying to get them to increase my scholly). Employment stats wise, it's still the best school in CT that isn't Yale(and I think we both know most Yallies don't stay in CT)so I don't know what to say to that. It really is just UCONN and QU because that's really all there is in my market of choice. Cardozo is cheaper than UCONN and Brooklyn would be even cheaper if I could only find a way to easily commute(which I do not believe exists) but that won't place me in my market of choice and I'd be forced into the NY market, something I desperately want to avoid.

Dcc617

Postby Dcc617 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:30 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:

Financially, you have a point(which is why I'm desperately trying to get them to increase my scholly). Employment stats wise, it's still the best school in CT that isn't Yale(and I think we both know most Yallies don't stay in CT)so I don't know what to say to that. It really is just UCONN and QU because that's really all there is in my market of choice. Cardozo is cheaper than UCONN and Brooklyn would be even cheaper if I could only find a way to easily commute(which I do not believe exists) but that won't place me in my market of choice and I'd be forced into the NY market, something I desperately want to avoid.

Are you sure law school is for you right now? If your only option is not great, then why go? Aren't you like 22? Go take a few years to work on political campaigns or something. Get some real world work experience, then go back to school later.

Nebby
amateur huffpo

Postby Nebby » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:31 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:

Why do you want to be in the Connecticut market?

Ferrisjso

Postby Ferrisjso » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:39 pm

Dcc617 wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:

Are you sure law school is for you right now? If your only option is not great, then why go? Aren't you like 22? Go take a few years to work on political campaigns or something. Get some real world work experience, then go back to school later.

I've already spent the last few years working on political campaigns. Their is no room for advancement there, especially in NYC, I remember going to a young dems panel a few years ago where they basically were lecturing us on how we should wait our turn and be happy even if we never got a chance to run for menial local office. I'm not ok with that, and the campaigns down here don't want paid staffers they want volunteers, which is nice when you're a freshman in high school but after doing it 3 or 4 times, you want more.

Ferrisjso

Postby Ferrisjso » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:49 pm

Nebby wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:

I love the whole small town feel. People just tend to be nicer and less intense and in the CT environment I feel like I thrive because I'm the most aggressive voice in the room without even trying while in NY is full of a bunch of loudmouths just like me. I feel like my life is a bad sitcom on cable tv rather than an ordinary life and it took me until I went away for UG to realize it. I want to change and be happy to wake up in the morning and in CT, everyone I've met is just happier and I'm happier when i'm living here. NY is just like a noisy wasteland to me and I can't imagine why anyone would prefer it to New England(with the exception of Boston maybe). Also why does it matter? I feel like people on here don't like the market and can't believe I could possibly genuinely like it. Well I could say the same right back at all the NYC big law people with Manhattan but I won't. If you want to tell me UCONN is to expensive that's fine, but I get the sense you people think I'm making a mistake picking CT over NY because you can't picture someone rationally making that decision.

Nebby
amateur huffpo

Postby Nebby » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:53 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:
Nebby wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:

I love the whole small town feel. People just tend to be nicer and less intense and in the CT environment I feel like I thrive because I'm the most aggressive voice in the room without even trying while in NY is full of a bunch of loudmouths just like me. I feel like my life is a bad sitcom on cable tv rather than an ordinary life and it took me until I went away for UG to realize it. I want to change and be happy to wake up in the morning and in CT, everyone I've met is just happier and I'm happier when i'm living here. NY is just like a noisy wasteland to me and I can't imagine why anyone would prefer it to New England(with the exception of Boston maybe). Also why does it matter? I feel like people on here don't like the market and can't believe I could possibly genuinely like it. Well I could say the same right back at all the NYC big law people with Manhattan but I won't. If you want to tell me UCONN is to expensive that's fine, but I get the sense you people think I'm making a mistake picking CT over NY because you can't picture someone rationally making that decision.

I think it matters because I don't think you know the market, which will hinder you greatly in trying to break into it. I can picture someone from CT rationally choosing CT. I can't picture someone who has no connection to the area rationally choosing it over a cheaper option with better employment statistics.

Ferrisjso

Postby Ferrisjso » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:57 pm

Nebby wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
Nebby wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:

I think it matters because I don't think you know the market, which will hinder you greatly in trying to break into it. I can picture someone from CT rationally choosing CT. I can't picture someone who has no connection to the area rationally choosing it over a cheaper option with better employment statistics.

I spent four years of UG in CT. Also let's say you're right(I don't think you are but let's say you are) that still doesn't change my feelings about my home market which I've spent much more time in? I still greatly prefer CT to my home market.

Nebby
amateur huffpo

Postby Nebby » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:59 pm

Damn. Didn't know that. Hopefully Uconn gives you more money, and if it doesn't then I say Cardozo and try to break into the Connecticut market that way. There's no reason to spend 45k more on something you can do from Cardozo

mjb447

Postby mjb447 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:02 am

This thread continues to deliver.

Ferrisjso

Postby Ferrisjso » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:07 am

Nebby wrote:Damn. Didn't know that. Hopefully Uconn gives you more money, and if it doesn't then I say Cardozo and try to break into the Connecticut market that way. There's no reason to spend 45k more on something you can do from Cardozo

You think that could work? Most TLS'ers in my experience endlessly ridicule people who go to regional schools expecting to bring their degrees back to another state to find work. I'm not going to lie the idea has crossed my mind before, I've always shot it down though and said not going to happen. Do you think UCONN's placement in CT is really that awful? Btw thanks for the advice, this dialogue really has been helpful.

cavalier1138

Postby cavalier1138 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:46 am

Ferrisjso wrote:
I've already spent the last few years working part-time and summers on political campaigns. Their is no room for advancement there, especially in NYC, I remember going to a young dems panel a few years ago where they basically were lecturing us on how we should wait our turn and be happy even if we never got a chance to run for menial local office. I'm not ok with that, and the campaigns down here don't want paid staffers they want volunteers, which is nice when you're a freshman in high school but after doing it 3 or 4 times, you want more.

Fixed that for you.

Also, I love that you want to run for office, but you don't want to run for "menial office". Do you think that going to law school just opens the doors for a run on the Senate?

Nebby
amateur huffpo

Postby Nebby » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:00 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
I've already spent the last few years working part-time and summers on political campaigns. Their is no room for advancement there, especially in NYC, I remember going to a young dems panel a few years ago where they basically were lecturing us on how we should wait our turn and be happy even if we never got a chance to run for menial local office. I'm not ok with that, and the campaigns down here don't want paid staffers they want volunteers, which is nice when you're a freshman in high school but after doing it 3 or 4 times, you want more.

Fixed that for you.

Also, I love that you want to run for office, but you don't want to run for "menial office". Do you think that going to law school just opens the doors for a run on the Senate?

Not to mention politics requires strong ties, which is why I'm worried that spending college in CT isn't enough

Ferrisjso

Postby Ferrisjso » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:17 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:

Fixed that for you.

Well in NY, running for office is alot more complicated because you basically have a three tiered government, the city council and elected citywide office actually mean something in NYC. City council seats require more votes than some congressional districts, and even becoming one of the top handful of candidates for one of these seats is a real challenge. It's a completely different political setup than just about anywhere in the country, also I wanted to start out running for congress or state senate which in NY would be impossible to do.
Last edited by Ferrisjso on Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

poptart123

Postby poptart123 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:39 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:
half moon wrote:Just noticed your hope to not need a car too. If that's an important consideration, Knoxville and Nashville may not be the places for you. I suppose they have Uber and Lyft, but public transit is very limited in both cities.

If you're fully intent on going this year and choosing from the options in your original post, I'll just add to what everyone else seems to be saying and go Cardozo.

I'm thinking I'm going to make an attempt to learn to drive over the summer. It might work out, it might not, but I'm going to try.

OP: Do this first. If it doesn't work out (barring some physical limitation) then you probably shouldn't go to law school.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”