QU v Cardozo(Ferrisjso's decision) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
poptart123

Silver

Re: UCONN v Cardozo(Ferrisjso's decision)

Post by poptart123 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:43 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:
poptart123 wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
poptart123 wrote:I thought yale was the best school for connecticut though?
WL
OP if you get off the WL the whole calculation changes I think
He was joking. I'm on the WL for W+L and Richmond.
wow so hard to come by real and good advice on these forums

Ferrisjso

Gold

Post by Ferrisjso » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:51 pm

poptart123 wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
poptart123 wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
WL
I know probably 10-15 pages of this thread is people being sarcastic/insulting me and then they complain that the thread is 30 pages. Only place I can find people who know their stuff though so you got to mine through the ******** to get to the good advice.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:52 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:
poptart123 wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
poptart123 wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
WL
I know probably 10-15 pages of this thread is people being sarcastic/insulting me and then they complain that the thread is 30 pages. Only place I can find people who know their stuff though so you got to mine through the ******** to get to the good advice.
This is gold.

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:53 pm

guybourdin wrote:
poptart123 wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
WL
Depends on the https://www.walkscore.com
I don't think any of us have room in our lives for another law school ranking metric.

Pragmatic Gun

Silver

Post by Pragmatic Gun » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:55 pm

Ferris, 50% employment score. Why does not that dissuade you from going to QU?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:58 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:
Well it's a stupid question, why would I assume I wouldn't get legal employment? I think the obvious answer is get a job in something else, but why would anyone assume that right of the bat? Right now what matters to me is if Cardozo's better employment stats give me a better chance to get into CT or not.
not Q. this is a 30+ year investment. even a 100k price difference boils down to $15/day. your choices are UConn or Cardozo. What is UConn' cost? I still think UConn is the best option.

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:59 pm

Pragmatic Gun wrote:Ferris, 50% employment score. Why does not that dissuade you from going to QU?
1) It's a lie.
2) He's special and will definitely get a legal job.
3) Even if he doesn't get legal job, he'll still get a job.
4) Basically all of those jobs are in Connecticut.

ETA Also the real question is why everyone is so mean to him.
Last edited by Dcc617 on Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:59 pm

BigZuck wrote:
ernie wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:Yes it's Cardozo and QU. QU is about 70k(from 509 COL estimates) and Cardozo is about 110k(I rounded everything up to account for interest/tuition increases). My goal is to practice law and one day run for public office. Right now my main concern is that Cardozo has better employment stats but I want to work in CT and whatever school puts me in a better position to do that, I want to go to. Cardozo's also more money.
Hmm. So, I'm not going to advocate for one over the other, but I will give you something to consider: if you want to target a specific geographical area, it's not just the school that matters—your existing ties matter too. If you're from CT originally, no employer in Stamford is going to question your commitment to staying in the area just because you went to law school in New York.
Dude
? it's good advice.

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:14 pm

Ferris- - what is the deadline to make a decision? I just want to know if I should keep checking on this thread. TYIA

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:17 pm

Johann wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
ernie wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:Yes it's Cardozo and QU. QU is about 70k(from 509 COL estimates) and Cardozo is about 110k(I rounded everything up to account for interest/tuition increases). My goal is to practice law and one day run for public office. Right now my main concern is that Cardozo has better employment stats but I want to work in CT and whatever school puts me in a better position to do that, I want to go to. Cardozo's also more money.
Hmm. So, I'm not going to advocate for one over the other, but I will give you something to consider: if you want to target a specific geographical area, it's not just the school that matters—your existing ties matter too. If you're from CT originally, no employer in Stamford is going to question your commitment to staying in the area just because you went to law school in New York.
Dude
? it's good advice.
Not saying it's bad advice just saying there's 30 pages we know where he is from.

ernie

Bronze

Post by ernie » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:23 pm

Winter is Coming wrote:But this is coming from a poster who didn't read the first 30 pages of thread...
BigZuck wrote:...there's 30 pages we know where he is from.
Ooook true, but obviously I'm not going to read 30 pages of an internet forum. Seriously, do y'all have that much time on your hands?

Pragmatic Gun

Silver

Post by Pragmatic Gun » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:15 am

rcharter1978 wrote:Ferris- - what is the deadline to make a decision? I just want to know if I should keep checking on this thread. TYIA

Ferrisjso

Gold

Post by Ferrisjso » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:16 am

Johann wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
Well it's a stupid question, why would I assume I wouldn't get legal employment? I think the obvious answer is get a job in something else, but why would anyone assume that right of the bat? Right now what matters to me is if Cardozo's better employment stats give me a better chance to get into CT or not.
not Q. this is a 30+ year investment. even a 100k price difference boils down to $15/day. your choices are UConn or Cardozo. What is UConn' cost? I still think UConn is the best option.
UCONN was more expensive than Cardozo but the biggest issue was the chance I wouldn't get in state tuition my second and third year which would have brought the cost up to 190-200k. ASW gave me the impression that the risk of me not getting in state tuition was a great deal higher than I would like. Also even if I did I would be paying about twice as much for UCONN as QU(130k-140k versus 70k) and if we're counting JD required job numbers, UCONN is only 10% higher than QU, 60% to 50%. That extra 10% just didn't seem worth the financial sacrifices I would have had to make if I didn't get in state tuition. Even without that though 130-140k was still just a little more money than I was comfortable with. QU just seems like a much safer choice debt wise and the employment numbers while worse aren't bad enough to justify paying twice as much to go to UCONN(especially with the risk of paying almost 3x as much). I already withdrew from UCONN so that option is off the table. Only thing that made UCONN make more sense than QU for CT was the fact that QU's initial offer gave me really bad stips(50%) but QU has since removed those for me.

Cardozo will probably end up around 110,000 if I include housing for 1L.
Last edited by Ferrisjso on Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:18 am

Pragmatic Gun wrote:
rcharter1978 wrote:Ferris- - what is the deadline to make a decision? I just want to know if I should keep checking on this thread. TYIA
:lol:

Ferrisjso

Gold

Post by Ferrisjso » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:18 am

23 hours, 40 minutes. If Richmond or W+L give me money off the WL(Richmond might seeing as i'm on the "priority waitlist), this thread could run a little longer, if not that's going to be the end.

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:22 am

Ferrisjso wrote:
23 hours, 40 minutes. If Richmond or W+L give me money off the WL(Richmond might seeing as i'm on the "priority waitlist), this thread could run a little longer, if not that's going to be the end.
Wow, well this thread is v. entertaining so I hope it goes on. I will say that it seems like you take criticism really well or you're immune to it. This would make you a good fit for the certain political arenas

Pragmatic Gun

Silver

Post by Pragmatic Gun » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:26 am

rcharter1978 wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
Wow, well this thread is v. entertaining so I hope it goes on. I will say that it seems like you take criticism really well or you're immune to it. This would make you a good fit for the certain political arenas
He will make a great member of the PTA board.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:33 am

what im trying to tell you is that even a 5k salary difference rolled forward throughout a career adds up to these amounts of money. every percent and salary counts.

https://www.ilrg.com/rankings/law/media ... /MSPrivate comparethe median salaries there. obv cardozo is affected by ny salaries but man quinnipiac is awful. nobody from the school is working in 100+ firms. no one.

jingosaur

Gold

Post by jingosaur » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:00 am

First time poster to this thread. I'm glad to be joining. I read the last 5 pages and I am ready to give you your advice.

Don't go to law school. You care more about what the law should be rather than what the law is, and I don't think that you actually want to practice law. You just want a J.D. on your resume because a lot of politicians have a J.D, so if you get one, you will be well on your way to becoming them. As you may have realized from recent elections, your credentials will not matter as much as you think when seeking public office. Your connections and your rhetoric will matter much more, and that will be developed better by latching onto some local politicians and getting involved in some bigger campaigns when they come along.

Because you will not listen to that, Cardozo is the best option available to you. But you will not get a clerkship. You will do a great job cementing the perception that Cardozo students are gunner strivers and I would be more entertained by your posts if you go there. QU will not get you anywhere. The only QU grad that I am aware of did some divorce settlement show on Bravo, and I doubt you have her figure, so that will not be you.

When considering a TTT, you also have to consider the stress that you will take every step of the way. Grades are unlikely to be good enough, and you already expressed your fears there. You also have to consider that you will definitely not have a job at graduation, and you will take the bar unemployed. You will have to apply to 500+ jobs and will only get a job, if you do get one, after you get bar results back (and only if you pass). You will be in the same spot at Cardozo, but there will be at least a chance that you don't completely crap out.

Pragmatic Gun

Silver

Post by Pragmatic Gun » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:03 am

jingosaur wrote:First time poster to this thread. I'm glad to be joining. I read the last 5 pages and I am ready to give you your advice.

Don't go to law school. You care more about what the law should be rather than what the law is, and I don't think that you actually want to practice law. You just want a J.D. on your resume because a lot of politicians have a J.D, so if you get one, you will be well on your way to becoming them. As you may have realized from recent elections, your credentials will not matter as much as you think when seeking public office. Your connections and your rhetoric will matter much more, and that will be developed better by latching onto some local politicians and getting involved in some bigger campaigns when they come along.

Because you will not listen to that, Cardozo is the best option available to you. But you will not get a clerkship. You will do a great job cementing the perception that Cardozo students are gunner strivers and I would be more entertained by your posts if you go there. QU will not get you anywhere. The only QU grad that I am aware of did some divorce settlement show on Bravo, and I doubt you have her figure, so that will not be you.

When considering a TTT, you also have to consider the stress that you will take every step of the way. Grades are unlikely to be good enough, and you already expressed your fears there. You also have to consider that you will definitely not have a job at graduation, and you will take the bar unemployed. You will have to apply to 500+ jobs and will only get a job, if you do get one, after you get bar results back (and only if you pass). You will be in the same spot at Cardozo, but there will be at least a chance that you don't completely crap out.
Your tar really rounds out this post

jingosaur

Gold

Post by jingosaur » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:14 am

Pragmatic Gun wrote:
jingosaur wrote:First time poster to this thread. I'm glad to be joining. I read the last 5 pages and I am ready to give you your advice.

Your tar really rounds out this post
It becomes more bleak when you realize that my tar is literally the best case scenario in this situation, and as of now, Ferris doesn't drive and he's never had a real job.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

celticsfan

New

Post by celticsfan » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:17 am

Retake

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:35 am

ernie wrote:
Winter is Coming wrote:But this is coming from a poster who didn't read the first 30 pages of thread...
BigZuck wrote:...there's 30 pages we know where he is from.
Ooook true, but obviously I'm not going to read 30 pages of an internet forum. Seriously, do y'all have that much time on your hands?
Surely you have enough time to read the first post in any thread you decide to spew into yes?

cannibal ox

Gold

Post by cannibal ox » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:00 am

Oh yeah, definitely tagging this thread.

And since this is the on-topics, I feel obligated to give some sort of advice. Here it is: Don't go to law school. (Notice how there's no "but if you have to go, then..." because no one has to go to law school)

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:33 am

Pragmatic Gun wrote:
rcharter1978 wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
He will make a great member of the PTA board.
Hey, Antonio Villaraigosa, former mayor of Los Angeles, went to the Peoples College of Law. He didn't even bother with the bar exam after the 4th try.

You elitists haven't even heard of this fine institution so let me post a pic of the prestigious campus....

So, Ferris' dreams could all come true

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”