QU v Cardozo(Ferrisjso's decision) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Ferrisjso

Gold

Re: UCONN v Cardozo(Ferrisjso's decision)

Post by Ferrisjso » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:05 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote: I've read you and other's describe the details of the system many, many times. I am aware of the 45k tax bomb. If I go to UCONN it is likely I will get substantial outside financial support.
...what does that even mean? Are you going to have a mafia don pay off your debts for you in exchange for a favor? Is your family only going to pay for law school if you go somewhere that gives you a <66% chance of being a lawyer after graduation?

But you're probably right. You should take the architecture of the school into account.
My parents want to move and have expressed willingness to give me part of the money off our houses sale for law school if I leave NY. Seeing property values in NY compared to the rest of the country, the difference would be more than enough to pay off my debt. Didn't want to bring this up as it's personal info that's frankly no one's business but hey getting pummeled as an oblivious idiot with no idea how I'm going to pay back the debt changed my mind.

In terms of architecture, it's not a major factor but I really like the old historical feel. It's not the same as going "hey look, they've got a lazy river I can swim after class". I like nice things.

dm1683

Silver

Post by dm1683 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:47 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote: I've read you and other's describe the details of the system many, many times. I am aware of the 45k tax bomb. If I go to UCONN it is likely I will get substantial outside financial support.
...what does that even mean? Are you going to have a mafia don pay off your debts for you in exchange for a favor? Is your family only going to pay for law school if you go somewhere that gives you a <66% chance of being a lawyer after graduation?

But you're probably right. You should take the architecture of the school into account.
My parents want to move and have expressed willingness to give me part of the money off our houses sale for law school if I leave NY. Seeing property values in NY compared to the rest of the country, the difference would be more than enough to pay off my debt. Didn't want to bring this up as it's personal info that's frankly no one's business but hey getting pummeled as an oblivious idiot with no idea how I'm going to pay back the debt changed my mind.

In terms of architecture, it's not a major factor but I really like the old historical feel. It's not the same as going "hey look, they've got a lazy river I can swim after class". I like nice things.
You are aware than CONN has some of the highest property values in the nation right?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:53 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:In terms of architecture, it's not a major factor but I really like the old historical feel. It's not the same as going "hey look, they've got a lazy river I can swim after class". I like nice things.
It's exactly the same.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:00 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:In terms of architecture, it's not a major factor but I really like the old historical feel. It's not the same as going "hey look, they've got a lazy river I can swim after class". I like nice things.
It's exactly the same.
What if UCONN has a lazy river designed by Frank Lloyd Wright?

Ferrisjso

Gold

Post by Ferrisjso » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:42 pm

dm1683 wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:

You are aware than CONN has some of the highest property values in the nation right?
My parents wouldnt be moving to Connecticut (which would still be cheaper than NYC). They want to go to the South(i think NC) or leave the country(theyve mentioned this several times).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jjcorvino

Silver

Post by jjcorvino » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:19 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:

You didn't need to provide details, you could have just said "I have $100k that my parents are willing to contribute to my education". It is also an incredibly important detail. You have no been providing anyone here the real COA calculations. How are we supposed to give advice when you declined to mention that your family will be footing the bill and therefore you will come out near debt free. Everyone has cautioned you because the debt will be crippling. If you actually won't have debt despite the cost, go to whatever school you want to. You can feel free to decide based on the architecture now.

Ferrisjso

Gold

Post by Ferrisjso » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:52 pm

jjcorvino wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:

You didn't need to provide details, you could have just said "I have $100k that my parents are willing to contribute to my education". It is also an incredibly important detail. You have no been providing anyone here the real COA calculations. How are we supposed to give advice when you declined to mention that your family will be footing the bill and therefore you will come out near debt free. Everyone has cautioned you because the debt will be crippling. If you actually won't have debt despite the cost, go to whatever school you want to. You can feel free to decide based on the architecture now.
Might be footing the bill, I'm not sure, they've said if I don't go to Cardozo(or anywhere in NY but Cardozo's really the only NY school I'm still considering) "we'll see what happens".

Ferrisjso

Gold

Post by Ferrisjso » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:48 pm

Updates
Waitlisted at Richmond(this means i'm probably not attending cause they're almost certainly not going to match even UCONN nm Cardozo which I believe are peer schools
Applied to Widener(Delaware) because it's a school that I could potentially graduate debt free from because I'm far above both of their 75ths. Unlike Quinnipiac and most of Widener's peer's it also doesn't do conditional scholly's.

pyramidenergy888

New

Post by pyramidenergy888 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:43 pm

OP, none of your options are good ones so it's hard to recommend any of them. Think about it in this way.. how much do you expect to make after law school? and then compare that to your 100k in debt. That figure could represent up to twice your annual salary that you will owe... what you are considering is pretty much madness.

Also. if you are trying to put space between you and family maybe you should aim farther away than CT... just my advice as someone escaping family as well :-)
It's possible to move away without going to law school. Move away, get a job, and study for your retake. Go Fall 2018 with more scholarship money and a great opportunity....

EDIT: If you can go to Widener with less debt, I would say do that if you absolutely cannot wait a year.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Ferrisjso

Gold

Post by Ferrisjso » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:30 pm

pyramidenergy888 wrote:OP, none of your options are good ones so it's hard to recommend any of them. Think about it in this way.. how much do you expect to make after law school? and then compare that to your 100k in debt. That figure could represent up to twice your annual salary that you will owe... what you are considering is pretty much madness.

Also. if you are trying to put space between you and family maybe you should aim farther away than CT... just my advice as someone escaping family as well :-)
It's possible to move away without going to law school. Move away, get a job, and study for your retake. Go Fall 2018 with more scholarship money and a great opportunity....

EDIT: If you can go to Widener with less debt, I would say do that if you absolutely cannot wait a year.
I think these options are better than the majority of law school applicants receive, I just think many TLS'ers are in a bubble(if you're in the T13 or T20 you're going to look down on people who go to TT's with $, that's just natural). With a 50 to 60k job I believe I can pay off the debt in 3-5 years(I live more frugal than most people and that's by choice). There's also the chance I will receive outside support depending on my situation.

As far as moving away goes, I tried to go to VA, I applied to 3 schools there and I got rejected from W+M and waitlisted by W+L,Richmond. I've also taken the LSAT three times and after my third effort which contained the most studying ended in a 148 I've decided the test is just not for me(especially it being timed) and that I should take my 156 and above average GPA and run with it, I've taken the thing 3 times, I'm not going to take it a fourth time and take off a year(which for me would be very difficult) hoping things go (considerably) better when my third try went so much worse. I also think I'd have to wait longer for my score to cancel as my first take was the fall of 2015 even if I was open to the idea.

pyramidenergy888

New

Post by pyramidenergy888 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:49 pm

Honestly, if you want my opinion, I think you should move somewhere far away.. Get a job and save some money and enjoy your life. Law school will always be there. Don't jump into crippling debt. Or find somewhere that will give you more money. GL

Ferrisjso

Gold

Post by Ferrisjso » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:55 pm

pyramidenergy888 wrote:Honestly, if you want my opinion, I think you should move somewhere far away.. Get a job and save some money and enjoy your life. Law school will always be there. Don't jump into crippling debt. Or find somewhere that will give you more money. GL
Thanks, however I really like the Northeast(and don't like Boston) so Connecticut(which I already have ties to) seems the natural option. The culture is still extremely different and was still able to alert me to how my normal way of living, dealing with people was not normal in any way, shape or form, despite being pretty close by. I had my eyes on Nashville for awhile but even with an increased LSAT, Vanderbilt would be a pretty tough goal to obtain. Virginia was my second choice and that hasn't panned out(numbers wise I should have nabbed at least one school from VA, honestly surprised it's probably going to be 0-3). Moving away without school right now, simply isn't an option for me though I most certainly understand your sentiments. Hope you get away from whatever you're fleeing as well:)

somedeadman

Bronze

Post by somedeadman » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:03 pm

Awesome thread

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:55 pm

I get darascal vibes.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:57 pm

Rigo wrote:I get darascal vibes.
So OP's "have to escape family who is paying for my ill-advised education" is DR's "but I win money in online poker, bro!"

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:00 am

UVA2B wrote:
So OP's "have to escape family who is paying for my ill-advised education" is DR's "but I win money in online poker, bro!"
It helps if you picture a :P after every paragraph.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:03 am

Rigo wrote:
UVA2B wrote:
8) 8) 8)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Ferrisjso

Gold

Post by Ferrisjso » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:36 pm

UVA2B wrote:
Rigo wrote:
UVA2B wrote:
8) 8) 8)
I'm trying to escape my entire environment, not just my family, to much drama. Don't dislike my family or friends, just think it might be in my best interest to leave and never come back. Again them paying for my education is far from a definite thing which is why i didn't bring it up. As far as answering your four questions here are my answers, forgot about them, had a pretty eventful last few days.

1.What job do you want? I'm not sure, I'm a OL, don't think I need to have a definitive answer yet. Have several things I'm interested in potentially doing. Tax law, a clerkship and HealthCare Law are the three options in the lead right now. Afterwards I want a career in politics but if that doesn't work out I want to be in a field of the law I enjoy.
2. What is the COA at each school? Already answered this(I rounded up though)
3. Where do you want to work? Connecticut, Virginia or New York. Wanted to work in Nashville but Vanderbilt isn't going to happen for me.
4. What's your fallback option if you can't be a lawyer after graduating-I think this is a rather fringe possibility but I'd work doing something else until my debts were paid and then enter politics.

Rubbishdump

Bronze

Post by Rubbishdump » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:36 am

Ferrisjso wrote:
Pomeranian wrote:Can you retake? With a 160+ you're looking at a full ride (or near full ride) at Cardozo.
I've taken the test three times, 155,156 and 148.
Dude, if your third take was a 148 then please don't go to law school.

Veil of Ignorance

Bronze

Post by Veil of Ignorance » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:55 am

bwaldorf wrote:Cardozo and it's not even close.

But I think you're choosing law schools for all the wrong reasons. Also, judging by your posts, I wonder if you are intelligent or mature enough to succeed in law school. I mean this in the nicest way possible, truly, but you can't even use proper grammar and you continuously dismiss any advice given to you. You clearly have no idea what it means to take out six figure debt and have a very high probability of being unable to pay it back. What are you going to do if you can't get a job that makes over 60k a year? What if you can't get a job at all? How the hell will you deal with the COL in NYC while making massive monthly loan payments? I really think you should give yourself some time to mature if you can't see that you are tying shackles to your legs and making a decision that will severely damage your life, forever.

But whatever, you'll do what you want anyway.
I mean if he's only making $50k he's probably only paying like $250 under Pay As You Earn. And it's also only 25 years

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:54 am

Ferrisjso wrote: I'm trying to escape my entire environment, not just my family, to much drama. Don't dislike my family or friends, just think it might be in my best interest to leave and never come back. Again them paying for my education is far from a definite thing which is why i didn't bring it up. As far as answering your four questions here are my answers, forgot about them, had a pretty eventful last few days.

1.What job do you want? I'm not sure, I'm a OL, don't think I need to have a definitive answer yet. Have several things I'm interested in potentially doing. Tax law, a clerkship and HealthCare Law are the three options in the lead right now. Afterwards I want a career in politics but if that doesn't work out I want to be in a field of the law I enjoy.
3. Where do you want to work? Connecticut, Virginia or New York. Wanted to work in Nashville but Vanderbilt isn't going to happen for me.
4. What's your fallback option if you can't be a lawyer after graduating-I think this is a rather fringe possibility but I'd work doing something else until my debts were paid and then enter politics.
You can't go to law school to escape "drama". That's not how life works. But to address your answers:

1. I'm a little concerned that your ultimate goal is a career in politics. You haven't mentioned this before, and I think it's because you're well aware that a JD is a waste of time if you want to run for elected office. You also shouldn't be listing "clerkship" as a job goal, because that's a one or two-year job that is used to build up credibility, not a full-time career. And what kind of practice do you see yourself having? Private? Government? NGO? Solo? Big firm? Small firm? Even without nailing down any specifics about a career, you should at least have a general idea of where you want to end up (and your general idea should not include Congress).

3. You can't just name the regions you got into as places you want to work. Connecticut, New York, and Virginia are radically different places. Where do you actually want to work? Not, "Where do you want to work given your perceived options at this very early stage of your life?"

4. This is not a "fringe possibility" from any of the schools you're looking at. You need to be fully prepared for this possibility, and you need to have a debt repayment plan in place for both a legal and non-legal career from any of these schools. That plan cannot be "something else and then politics". That's not a backup plan; that's you willfully ignoring the possibility that your future will not turn out exactly the way you envision it.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Ferrisjso

Gold

Post by Ferrisjso » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:10 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote: I'm trying to escape my entire environment, not just my family, to much drama. Don't dislike my family or friends, just think it might be in my best interest to leave and never come back. Again them paying for my education is far from a definite thing which is why i didn't bring it up. As far as answering your four questions here are my answers, forgot about them, had a pretty eventful last few days.

You can't go to law school to escape "drama". That's not how life works. But to address your answers:

1. I'm a little concerned that your ultimate goal is a career in politics. You haven't mentioned this before, and I think it's because you're well aware that a JD is a waste of time if you want to run for elected office. You also shouldn't be listing "clerkship" as a job goal, because that's a one or two-year job that is used to build up credibility, not a full-time career. And what kind of practice do you see yourself having? Private? Government? NGO? Solo? Big firm? Small firm? Even without nailing down any specifics about a career, you should at least have a general idea of where you want to end up (and your general idea should not include Congress).

3. You can't just name the regions you got into as places you want to work. Connecticut, New York, and Virginia are radically different places. Where do you actually want to work? Not, "Where do you want to work given your perceived options at this very early stage of your life?"

4. This is not a "fringe possibility" from any of the schools you're looking at. You need to be fully prepared for this possibility, and you need to have a debt repayment plan in place for both a legal and non-legal career from any of these schools. That plan cannot be "something else and then politics". That's not a backup plan; that's you willfully ignoring the possibility that your future will not turn out exactly the way you envision it.
1 Well having worked in politics, I'm just telling you you're wrong on that, and knowing how you all responded to other posters with the nonsensical "a JD doesn't help in politics", I just didn't want to deal with that nonsense. Also if a political career doesn't work out, I'm going to be in law anyway regardless. I do want to end up in Congress but I want to practice law first and want to practice law if that doesn't work out anyway. I think it's pretty unreasonable to expect someone to know where they want to end up as a 1L(and I've typically been one to plan ahead). Again I would like to do a clerkship and would be interested in tax law(a government job would be nice but doesn't look likely for obvious reasons), health care law or maybe even PI. I really am open to going where the wind takes me here.

3 I applied to schools in these regions because they were regions I was open to working in. This is the most difficult part of the decision for me, right now I'm leaning towards Connecticut as a place I want to work, but both finances and surviving as a non driver are factors that favor NY. Virginia is a distant third right now because the main reason I was considering Virginia is because I just wanted to go far away and start something new.

4 Well if things go bad on this front, so be it, I lost and I guess I deserved to lose then, but I do think it's a fringe possibility. If I go to UCONN I might be able to get my debts payed off via the whole house thing and at Cardozo the debt will be small enough where I think I can pay it back in a few years.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:10 pm

A JD doesn't help in politics. Working in politics helps in politics. You're doing a correlation/causation thing.

It isn't actually unreasonable to expect someone going to law school to know where they want to end up. In fact, a really good way to figure out what kind of law you want to practice *before* you go to law school, is to take time off and work and figure out what actually interests you/where your strengths lie!

w00kash

New

Post by w00kash » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:04 pm

Just here to say that wanting to move to CT without a car is a bad idea. Also, wanting to move to CT is a bad idea. But especially without a car. And especially Hartford County and the surrounding area.

Ferrisjso

Gold

Post by Ferrisjso » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:14 pm

w00kash wrote:Just here to say that wanting to move to CT without a car is a bad idea. Also, wanting to move to CT is a bad idea. But especially without a car. And especially Hartford County and the surrounding area.
Would it to be possible to PM me the specifics of this, I really want to know why you feel this way? I'm considering getting a license if I'm in Connecticut(it'd be easier to drive there than NYC that's for sure). Still curious why you feel this way specifically about Hartford county, which I was under the impression was slightly more walker friendly.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”