WUSTL(full) v. BC v. Emory v. GW

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
KDavis95

New
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:40 pm

WUSTL(full) v. BC v. Emory v. GW

Postby KDavis95 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:09 pm

Okay so I got in to over 15 schools and now I'm trying to come to a final decision! Please help! So far, I've narrowed it down to:

WUSTL with a full ride
Emory with 84k
GW with 75k
and BC but no scholarship info as of yet.

I am not one of those big law or bust people at all, though I'd like the possibility of being able to do Big Law in case I find that I don't want to do anything else. I'm a New Yorker who wants to get out of the busy city and settle down in a smaller city, but I might want to move back to NY. I'm really not sure, but I love moving around and being in different places, so it won't be the end of the world if I end up back in NY or not. I was set on WUSTL but after reading through the forums, I get the feeling that it isn't as wonderful as I thought it was. Anyway, I'd love to know what you guys think. BTW I haven't visited ANY of the schools yet but will be going to their ASD in the coming weeks :)

User avatar
Sprout

Silver
Posts: 773
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:46 pm

Re: WUSTL(full) v. BC v. Emory v. GW

Postby Sprout » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:13 pm

Imo, I'd go to wustl with a full, for sure. You could make small town connections, go back to new york, and know that if you don't land big law, you're fine because you won't be drowning in debt. Unless you have a specific desire to practice in DC or Atlanta or Boston (Boston is super insular, so I hear), or if you want to network in DC, I'd def say wustl.

It also sucks less than it seems on here. And COL in St. Louis is a sweet deal.

eta:
Don't get me wrong, st louis sort of sucks a lot, but law school sucks a lot, so I would just pick the least risky option. No debt is a dream because if you decide at any point to go a different route, you're not totally screwed. Just my opinion.


-3L at wustl

KDavis95

New
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:40 pm

Re: WUSTL(full) v. BC v. Emory v. GW

Postby KDavis95 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:28 pm

Sprout wrote:Imo, I'd go to wustl with a full, for sure. You could make small town connections, go back to new york, and know that if you don't land big law, you're fine because you won't be drowning in debt. Unless you have a specific desire to practice in DC or Atlanta or Boston (Boston is super insular, so I hear), or if you want to network in DC, I'd def say wustl.

It also sucks less than it seems on here. And COL in St. Louis is a sweet deal.

eta:
Don't get me wrong, st louis sort of sucks a lot, but law school sucks a lot, so I would just pick the least risky option. No debt is a dream because if you decide at any point to go a different route, you're not totally screwed. Just my opinion.


-3L at wustl


I've been thinking this also. No debt is really appealing in addition to the dirt cheap COL ( compared to NY!!). This might be an easier decision than I thought. I'm curious though, since you are a 3L, what has your experience there been like?

acr

Silver
Posts: 708
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:14 pm

Re: WUSTL(full) v. BC v. Emory v. GW

Postby acr » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:49 pm

Sprout wrote:Imo, I'd go to wustl with a full, for sure. You could make small town connections, go back to new york, and know that if you don't land big law, you're fine because you won't be drowning in debt. Unless you have a specific desire to practice in DC or Atlanta or Boston (Boston is super insular, so I hear), or if you want to network in DC, I'd def say wustl.

It also sucks less than it seems on here. And COL in St. Louis is a sweet deal.

eta:
Don't get me wrong, st louis sort of sucks a lot, but law school sucks a lot, so I would just pick the least risky option. No debt is a dream because if you decide at any point to go a different route, you're not totally screwed. Just my opinion.


-3L at wustl


I agree with all of this other that "St. Louis sucking a lot." it's no NYC or LA or DC, but it's a pretty cool place if you're willing to take advantage of what it has to offer. And as sprout mentioned, the COL is a great deal here and you will be amazed what even $1000/month in rent can get you.

-2L at Wustl

futago

Bronze
Posts: 116
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:49 am

Re: WUSTL(full) v. BC v. Emory v. GW

Postby futago » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:09 pm

KDavis95 wrote:Okay so I got in to over 15 schools and now I'm trying to come to a final decision! Please help! So far, I've narrowed it down to:

WUSTL with a full ride
Emory with 84k
GW with 75k
and BC but no scholarship info as of yet.

I am not one of those big law or bust people at all, though I'd like the possibility of being able to do Big Law in case I find that I don't want to do anything else. I'm a New Yorker who wants to get out of the busy city and settle down in a smaller city, but I might want to move back to NY. I'm really not sure, but I love moving around and being in different places, so it won't be the end of the world if I end up back in NY or not. I was set on WUSTL but after reading through the forums, I get the feeling that it isn't as wonderful as I thought it was. Anyway, I'd love to know what you guys think. BTW I haven't visited ANY of the schools yet but will be going to their ASD in the coming weeks :)


I think wustl is the easy choice here. I think St. Louis is a nice smaller town, and I think it can get you back to NY if you want. Also, with a full ride it is a great option. As for the other schools, Emory has some NY connection, but I don't think it is more than Wustl and I would never recommend paying more for Emory than Wustl if you don't want to stay in Atlanta, and even then I wouldn't pay that much more. I also think GW is way too expensive at that price.

-3L at Wustl.
Last edited by futago on Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rigo

Diamond
Posts: 16642
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: WUSTL(full) v. BC v. Emory v. GW

Postby Rigo » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:10 pm

WUSTL

User avatar
floatie

Silver
Posts: 590
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:39 pm

Re: WUSTL(full) v. BC v. Emory v. GW

Postby floatie » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:00 pm

I'm biased here because I reallyyyy don't like St. Louis, but I'd recommend using your full at WUSTL to bump up BC and GW. I'd also give it a whirl at Emory although they historically don't negotiate, but IMO I think they're lowballing you a lot...someone with a full at WUSTL should easily have netted over $100k from Emory. I'd revisit the question after you hear back from negotiations.

KDavis95

New
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:40 pm

Re: WUSTL(full) v. BC v. Emory v. GW

Postby KDavis95 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:53 am

floatie wrote:I'm biased here because I reallyyyy don't like St. Louis, but I'd recommend using your full at WUSTL to bump up BC and GW. I'd also give it a whirl at Emory although they historically don't negotiate, but IMO I think they're lowballing you a lot...someone with a full at WUSTL should easily have netted over $100k from Emory. I'd revisit the question after you hear back from negotiations.


Even if I negotiate, how much would it be worth to attend one of the other schools? I'll try that and see if I can get at least 75% off tuition.

KDavis95

New
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:40 pm

Re: WUSTL(full) v. BC v. Emory v. GW

Postby KDavis95 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:54 am

Thank you all for the wonderful answers. I think I'm going to discuss it more with my pre-law advisor and of course visit the schools.

20170322

Gold
Posts: 3251
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:57 pm

Re: WUSTL(full) v. BC v. Emory v. GW

Postby 20170322 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:58 am

WUSTL, and it's not even close.

Mikey

Platinum
Posts: 8047
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: WUSTL(full) v. BC v. Emory v. GW

Postby Mikey » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:14 pm

WUSTL , for sure

The 3 other schools are not worth that much more debt over WUSTL. Take the full ride!

Rigo

Diamond
Posts: 16642
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: WUSTL(full) v. BC v. Emory v. GW

Postby Rigo » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:52 pm

KDavis95 wrote:I think I'm going to discuss it more with my pre-law advisor

Unless you found a really fucking competent one (and I can't imagine one being better than TLS), don't. They usually give the absolute wrong and outdated advice.

User avatar
njdevils2626

Bronze
Posts: 495
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:53 pm

Re: WUSTL(full) v. BC v. Emory v. GW

Postby njdevils2626 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:20 pm

This is quickly becoming a chorus, but WUSTL is clearly the optimal decision here



Return to “Choosing a Law School�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests