Rutgers Camden/Newark vs Seton Hall (Patent Law)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
hawaiianstallion

New

Rutgers Camden/Newark vs Seton Hall (Patent Law)

Postby hawaiianstallion » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:48 pm

To keep it as simple as possible, I'm completing my BS in Physics at strong liberal arts college and looking to go into patent law. I've been accepted to both Rutgers (COA ~ 90-100k over the 3 years with tuition of 14k/year) and Seton Hall (COA ~ 170k over the three years with tuition of 37k/year). I'm planning on taking out loans and paying with the help of my family. I'm from New Jersey and want to ultimately end up in a patent law firm or something of the nature and other interests of mine are health technologies especially those that would be involved in the patent process.

I have some family and undergraduate alumni ties to some patent law firms, but do not know how much it will work out for me.

I'm very between the two schools because I don't know if Seton Hall is worth the extra money. The only thing that I'm unsure about is whether or not Seton Hall has much better networking for these kinds of jobs in patent law due to their programs in intellectual property and health law. Obviously if I am put at a significant advantage, I'd want to attend, but I'm not sure if they have much more to offer than Rutgers.

Would appreciate any input and advice. Thanks so much in advance

Rigo

Diamond

Re: Rutgers Camden/Newark vs Seton Hall (Patent Law)

Postby Rigo » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:11 pm

Seton Hall is absolutely not worth $70-80k more that Rutgers.

UVA2B

Gold

Re: Rutgers Camden/Newark vs Seton Hall (Patent Law)

Postby UVA2B » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:23 pm

hawaiianstallion wrote:To keep it as simple as possible, I'm completing my BS in Physics at strong liberal arts college and looking to go into patent law. I've been accepted to both Rutgers (COA ~ 90-100k over the 3 years with tuition of 14k/year) and Seton Hall (COA ~ 170k over the three years with tuition of 37k/year). I'm planning on taking out loans and paying with the help of my family. I'm from New Jersey and want to ultimately end up in a patent law firm or something of the nature and other interests of mine are health technologies especially those that would be involved in the patent process.

I have some family and undergraduate alumni ties to some patent law firms, but do not know how much it will work out for me.

I'm very between the two schools because I don't know if Seton Hall is worth the extra money. The only thing that I'm unsure about is whether or not Seton Hall has much better networking for these kinds of jobs in patent law due to their programs in intellectual property and health law. Obviously if I am put at a significant advantage, I'd want to attend, but I'm not sure if they have much more to offer than Rutgers.

Would appreciate any input and advice. Thanks so much in advance

Something to set your mind at ease about your issues with the bolded: patent law and health law are two very different things, and no program at any school will set you up better to do patent law in health technologies. Rutgers at that much cheaper is significantly better than Seton Hall. I wouldn't be insanely confident with getting the job you want at either, but patent bar eligibility makes a normally incredibly risky decision like these schools to a more reasonable risk.

Return to “Choosing a Law School�