Michigan ($$) vs NYU ($) vs Retake

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

What should I do?

Michigan w/120K scholarship
84%
NYU w/ 45K scholarship
2%
Retake LSAT (170-Taken Once)
13%

Total votes: 45

fourththoughts

New

Michigan ($$) vs NYU ($) vs Retake

Postby fourththoughts » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:22 pm

Thanks for the help everyone!
Last edited by fourththoughts on Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

acr

Silver

Re: Michigan ($$) vs NYU

Postby acr » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:32 pm

Enjoy Mich

Gold

Postby 20170322 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:33 pm

fourththoughts wrote:Schools: Michigan or NYU
Total COA: Michigan - $120K. NYU - $250

How will you be financing: Savings and Loans

Where are you from and where do you want to work: From the midwest. Don't have too much of a location preference. Do not want to be in New York long-term although would not mind for a little while

General career goals: Government/Public Interest for the most part. I am certainly open to other options and have an interest in politics.

LSAT/GPA: 170/3.8

How many times have you taken LSAT: Once

I think that I have some fairly good options, but I am starting to stress out about the whole thing. I am still waiting to hear from the majority of schools, but I am beginning to think seriously about a retake. Also, I am very curious about potential downsides of reapplying and whether schools would be less likely to give me scholarship money if I turn down the offer this year and reapply (assuming the LSAT score doesn't change much). I am open to a retake but concerned about ending up in a worse position.
Any thoughts?

So, I'll give what's probably unpopular advice.

I don't think you HAVE to retake. I think that a retake is likely the best option, but you wouldn't be dumb for not taking it.

If you're going to school this cycle, take Mich. LRAP opens up low income PI, and with 120k in debt (I'm guessing) you'll have the option of biglaw without it being too painful.

So, either Mich, or retake/reapply and likely get some full rides in the t14.

nimbus cloud

Silver

Postby nimbus cloud » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:52 pm

Retake. If not, Michigan. Please do not do NYU sticker.

fourththoughts

New

Postby fourththoughts » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:54 pm

Will my gpa preclude me from getting more money from other T14 schools?

Also, if I do reapply, will schools (especially Michigan) hold it against me?

studyingeveryday

Silver

Postby studyingeveryday » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:55 pm

After a 170, how likely is it even that one will do better?

Since you don't even seem like you're NY or bust, I say go with Michigan. If you decide you do want to live in NY, you can always work there after law school. Also, wait for your other options!

fourththoughts

New

Postby fourththoughts » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:58 pm

studyingeveryday wrote:After a 170, how likely is it even that one will do better?

Since you don't even seem like you're NY or bust, I say go with Michigan. If you decide you do want to live in NY, you can always work there after law school. Also, wait for your other options!

Definitely gonna wait for the other options, but I doubt I would get more money from any where else (especially considering Michigan's low COA) and if I am gonna retake in June, I want to start preparing now. My PTs were 173-179 so the retake might be in more order

studyingeveryday

Silver

Postby studyingeveryday » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:04 pm

fourththoughts wrote:
studyingeveryday wrote:After a 170, how likely is it even that one will do better?

Definitely gonna wait for the other options, but I doubt I would get more money from any where else (especially considering Michigan's low COA) and if I am gonna retake in June, I want to start preparing now. My PTs were 173-179 so the retake might be in more order

You seem like you do have the potential to do better, so go for it and start studying! if you get a higher score, you can consider waiting a year, and if you don't, you won't look back and wonder "what if?"

However, someone help OP out--what would happen if they don't attend schools they applied to this cycle and re-apply next cycle?

Pozzo

Gold

Postby Pozzo » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:35 pm

Last edited by Pozzo on Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goldenbear2020

Silver

Re: Michigan ($$) vs NYU ($) vs Retake

Postby goldenbear2020 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:23 pm

I'd take Michigan. At best, even if you retake for a couple more points (not guaranteed by any means) and get a T14 full ride next year, you'd only save about 50-60k?

theboringest

Bronze

Postby theboringest » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:18 pm

Michigan is your best option here. Did you apply late? You should get some other good T14 offers with those numbers. Not sure if reapplying would hurt...might be a good question for MS9.

fourththoughts

New

Postby fourththoughts » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:17 pm

theboringest wrote:Michigan is your best option here. Did you apply late? You should get some other good T14 offers with those numbers. Not sure if reapplying would hurt...might be a good question for MS9.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

I did apply late. I applied in mid-January to everywhere. I am thinking this might have had an effect.

michlaw

Bronze

Postby michlaw » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:32 pm

Reapply early next cycle. With your scores you should have more choices then.

Retake? The stats say at your level you are just as likely to go down.

If you have to go this year then Michigan without a doubt. They have done all the smart things. Reduce class size, increase aid, beef up the career services. The physical plant is top notch. New academic building, revamped lawyers club, new dorms, the Big House and Harbaugh. Ann Arbor is a great town. They have some excellent faculty from the best schools like Yale and Harvard.

fourththoughts

New

Postby fourththoughts » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:38 pm

michlaw wrote:Reapply early next cycle. With your scores you should have more choices then.

If you have to go this year then Michigan without a doubt. They have done all the smart things. Reduce class size, increase aid, beef up the career services. The physical plant is top notch. New academic building, revamped lawyers club, new dorms, the Big House and Harbaugh. Ann Arbor is a great town. They have some excellent faculty from the best schools like Yale and Harvard.

So the advice here is don't retake, but apply earlier. Wouldn't I need to do something to my app for there to be a compelling reason for the reapply from the schools perspective?

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:41 pm

michlaw wrote:Reapply early next cycle. With your scores you should have more choices then.

Without weighing in on a retake, the aspects of the school you listed after the words "career services" are, bar none, the stupidest criteria on which to base your decision to go to law school. If Michigan has a good student-to-faculty ratio, solid career services, etc., then those are great reasons to consider it. A nice "lawyers club" (whatever the fuck that is) isn't.

michlaw

Bronze

Postby michlaw » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:50 pm

Number one, you are a fool.

Secondly, the lawyers club is the 1L living quarters adjacent to the law school that they just spent 39 million dollars sprucing up. It's kind of famous and an important consideration for anyone thinking of attending Michigan Law. They have this thing called google where you can find things out, and not appear so stupid. Now some people like Charlie Munger, Warren Buffett's partner (you can look him up on google) seem to think that where you live while going to school is important. He was the driving force behind the new $155 million graduate residence at Michigan (also the ones at Stanford Law, google again). But you probably know better.

Only an idiot would think NYU is the right choice as the poll indicates. I was just offering some real life other things that just might make the 3 years more pleasant.

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:48 pm

michlaw wrote:Number one, you are a fool.

Secondly, the lawyers club is the 1L living quarters adjacent to the law school that they just spent 39 million dollars sprucing up. It's kind of famous and an important consideration for anyone thinking of attending Michigan Law. They have this thing called google where you can find things out, and not appear so stupid. Now some people like Charlie Munger, Warren Buffett's partner (you can look him up on google) seem to think that where you live while going to school is important. He was the driving force behind the new $155 million graduate residence at Michigan (also the ones at Stanford Law, google again). But you probably know better.

Only an idiot would think NYU is the right choice as the poll indicates. I was just offering some real life other things that just might make the 3 years more pleasant.

*sigh*

Please point out where I recommended NYU. Please.

I don't care if Obama, RBG, and Neil DeGrasse Tyson donated to revamp the dorms. They're dorms. Picking a law school based on how nice your room is going to be is stupid. Picking a school because it's going to be over $100k cheaper than the other (relatively comparable) option is smart.

somedeadman

Bronze

Postby somedeadman » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:41 pm

Disclaimer - 0L

Why not put a deposit down at Mich, and take the June LSAT?
Last edited by somedeadman on Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fourththoughts

New

Postby fourththoughts » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:51 pm

somedeadman wrote:Disclaimer - 0L

Why not put a deposit down and Mich, and take the June LSAT?

Mainly the fact that it feels unethical. Also, I like Michigan and would be happy to go there (would be even happier with more money), and I assume putting down a deposit and then not going would lead me to have no chance on a reapply to Michigan. Can anyone speak to that issue?

michlaw

Bronze

Postby michlaw » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:17 pm

Dean Zearfoss is an absolute class act. She fully understands how this process works. I don't she is capable of holding a grudge. She is that nice IMO. She has written on the benefits or lack there of on retakes that you might want to glance at. Do what you feel is in your best interest.

fourththoughts

New

Postby fourththoughts » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:58 pm

Does anyone have retake/reapply to the same school info?

Return to “Choosing a Law School�