BC ($) vs. Northeastern (Full)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
mrtux45

Bronze

BC ($) vs. Northeastern (Full)

Postby mrtux45 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:59 am

I asked a similar question a few weeks ago, but the situation has updated:

Stats relative to both schools, want to avoid posting exact numbers

I used the Cost Comparison spreadsheet to calculate my total debt given my personal circumstances. BC has me borrowing 78k and NEU would leave me borrowing maybe 10k. I'm sitting on roughly 30k in UG loans.

Is BC work ~110k of debt? If I finish median and can't go big law, looks like many BC grads can land mid-law jobs starting around 80k (based on the NALP spreadsheets on LST). Would I be able to reasonably pay off 110k debt on 80k starting salary? Or should I pick NEU to avoid the debt all together and presumably (at best) get one of those mid-law jobs?

*I'm going to try to negotiate with BC, but based on what others have said, their first offer is their best.
Last edited by mrtux45 on Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

cavalier1138

Platinum

Re: BC (81k) vs. Northeastern (Full)

Postby cavalier1138 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:11 am

I never understand why people don't want to post their actual numbers. Especially when you flat-out said that you have a 163 by saying your LSAT is at the 75th for both schools.

It's good that you're "open" to biglaw, because these schools are similarly "open" to biglaw. It's technically a possibility, but it's hardly the fallback plan you seem to see it as. And bear in mind that litigation boutiques can be just as competitive (if not more so) than biglaw, especially depending on your background and the type of boutique you want to work for.

Given the two options, I'd say it's a toss-up. BC gives you a much better chance at the work you want to do (still not a great one), but I don't think it's worth $81k. Northeastern gives you shit chances at pretty much any firm work, but if it's basically free, you're only talking about opportunity costs. I'd retake/reapply to get yourself a full ride at BU (since you seem set on Boston), assuming you don't want to aim for a T14 that will actually make biglaw a viable "backup plan".

mrtux45

Bronze

Postby mrtux45 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:32 am

Appreciate your response.

I don't consider big law my "fallback". I'm just not gunning for it from the starting line and realize the odds of making it going in. If my 1L grades made me competitive, I'd seriously consider going for it.

As far as a retake, I wouldn't be eligible until next Sept/Oct. My average after a year of studying was a 167, I'm not sure taking an additional year off for potential marginal benefit would be worth it. I'm already 2 years out of UG, and wouldn't want to continue at my current job for another year.

favabeansoup

Bronze

Postby favabeansoup » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:29 pm

mrtux45 wrote:I used the Cost Comparison spreadsheet to calculate my total debt given my personal circumstances. BC has me borrowing 78k and NEU would leave me borrowing maybe 10k. I'm sitting on roughly 30k in UG loans.

Is BC work ~110k of debt? If I finish median and can't go big law, looks like many BC grads can land mid-law jobs starting around 80k (based on the NALP spreadsheets on LST). Would I be able to reasonably pay off 110k debt on 80k starting salary? Or should I pick NEU to avoid the debt all together and presumably (at best) get one of those mid-law jobs?

Are you including total COL in your debt load or just tuition debt?

I think a total, tuition + expected cost of living, of ~100-115k for BC isn't out of the question to me. Be sure to include the extra few thousand of accruing interest during that time too. BC had like ~40% biglaw/fed clerk rates so that's not a terrible outcome to me.

mrtux45

Bronze

Postby mrtux45 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:35 pm

favabeansoup wrote:Are you including total COL in your debt load or just tuition debt?

Yeah the 110k is UG debt+Total COA for BC. I'd receive a small amount of assistance from my family, and would plan to commute from my parents home 2L and 3L

Smash_Box_Theta

New

Postby Smash_Box_Theta » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:37 pm

mrtux45 wrote:Appreciate your response.

I don't consider big law my "fallback". I'm just not gunning for it from the starting line and realize the odds of making it going in. If my 1L grades made me competitive, I'd seriously consider going for it.

As far as a retake, I wouldn't be eligible until next Sept/Oct. My average after a year of studying was a 167, I'm not sure taking an additional year off for potential marginal benefit would be worth it. I'm already 2 years out of UG, and wouldn't want to continue at my current job for another year.

2 years from UG is nothing. Maximizing your chances at obtaining the career you want is everything.

If you really hate your job so much that you can't possibly conceive being there another year, you'd be better served looking for a job that you can coast with while retaking. I'm not saying it's guaranteed that your score will improve drastically during that time, but it can. Additionally, you can apply to other schools in surrounding states that would offer you a better "scholarship" (e.g., tuition discount) than what you're currently being offered. It'll make interviewing in market a pain in the ass, but, provided you've got significant connections to the area and/or interview well, you'll still be competitive while avoiding unnecessary debt.

You only get one chance to do law school, and it's a lot easier to improve your LSAT or apply to different schools with better job outcomes than it is to place your hopes in killing it grade-wise or grinding out a career from the bottom.

mrtux45

Bronze

Postby mrtux45 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:41 am

Thanks everyone for the comments. I understand the value of a retake as I took the LSAT 3 times, taking last year off to study and improve from an abysmal first take.

Given that I'd need to take an additional year for a Sept. 2017 retake, and the uncertainty of admissions trends, I'm unsure whether a 4th take makes sense for my situation. If I improved from a 163 to 165 for example, who knows if that'll just lead to the same or marginally different scholarships from what I'm working with now.

If I could please receive additional feedback on my original question I'd really appreciate it. In terms of employment in Boston, is 110k total debt manageable if I can't get big law from BC? Or is the full ride at Northeastern smarter, understanding that I'll have virtually no shot at big law.

Dr. Nefario

Gold

Postby Dr. Nefario » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:30 am

Speaking solely for employment purposes, I would choose BC over Northeastern. NE students I know tend to be limited in what they are capable of attaining. Clearly not applicable for all students, but BC will open more options. Is there a reason you didn't apply to BU? BU/BC negotiation against each other has been very successful for people. Are you into any other schools that would be BC peers for negotiating purposes?

mrtux45

Bronze

Postby mrtux45 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:48 am

Dr. Nefario wrote:Speaking solely for employment purposes, I would choose BC over Northeastern. NE students I know tend to be limited in what they are capable of attaining. Clearly not applicable for all students, but BC will open more options. Is there a reason you didn't apply to BU? BU/BC negotiation against each other has been very successful for people. Are you into any other schools that would be BC peers for negotiating purposes?

Thanks for the response. I was admitted to BU but the offer was significantly lower than BC's. I do have offers from Emory, USC, GW, and ASU, waiting on $ from Vandy/Fordham, and decisions from WashU and Northwestern.

I was planning to wait for Vandy's offer before starting to negotiate, it's supposed to come soon. Also, BC has said to others that their first offer is their best. Idk if that's legit or just a gatekeeper message to force people into being persistent

Dr. Nefario

Gold

Postby Dr. Nefario » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:51 am

mrtux45 wrote:
Dr. Nefario wrote:Speaking solely for employment purposes, I would choose BC over Northeastern. NE students I know tend to be limited in what they are capable of attaining. Clearly not applicable for all students, but BC will open more options. Is there a reason you didn't apply to BU? BU/BC negotiation against each other has been very successful for people. Are you into any other schools that would be BC peers for negotiating purposes?

Thanks for the response. I was admitted to BU but the offer was significantly lower than BC's. I do have offers from Emory, USC, GW, and ASU, waiting on $ from Vandy/Fordham, and decisions from WashU and Northwestern.

I was planning to wait for Vandy's offer before starting to negotiate, it's supposed to come soon. Also, BC has said to others that their first offer is their best. Idk if that's legit or just a gatekeeper message to force people into being persistent

It's just a gatekeeper response. Use your BC offer to negotiate with BU ASAP. They should match or beat it potentially depending on how they are shaping up. And you can also use offers from any of the others to up BC if you do a COL analysis and try to get them to match that

mrtux45

Bronze

Postby mrtux45 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:56 am

Dr. Nefario wrote:It's just a gatekeeper response. Use your BC offer to negotiate with BU ASAP. They should match or beat it potentially depending on how they are shaping up. And you can also use offers from any of the others to up BC if you do a COL analysis and try to get them to match that

I'll get on it. I appreciate you jumping in with this advice, I'd also be a lot more interested in BU if their offer was more competitive. Thanks

Return to “Choosing a Law School�