T1 ($$) or T14 (Sticker) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
curry4bfast

New

T1 ($$) or T14 (Sticker)

Post by curry4bfast » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:21 pm

Last edited by curry4bfast on Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

cavalier1138

Re: T1 ($$) or T14 (Sticker)

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:39 pm

I'm confused. Is your goal biglaw, or is your goal non-profit PI? Because NGOs don't really go recruiting biglaw associates...

curry4bfast

New

Post by curry4bfast » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:44 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:I'm confused. Is your goal biglaw, or is your goal non-profit PI? Because NGOs don't really go recruiting biglaw associates...
yea lol I guess that's why I was asking if my goals made sense. I would want to start in big law, work their for a few years and then transition out into something PI related. Is that feasible or does it make no sense

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:13 pm

curry4bfast wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:I'm confused. Is your goal biglaw, or is your goal non-profit PI? Because NGOs don't really go recruiting biglaw associates...
yea lol I guess that's why I was asking if my goals made sense. I would want to start in big law, work their for a few years and then transition out into something PI related. Is that feasible or does it make no sense
I mean, it's not unheard of, but it's really not the regular route. What are your long-term career goals?

Lawl_Schoolz

New

Post by Lawl_Schoolz » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:48 pm

Last edited by Lawl_Schoolz on Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

curry4bfast

New

Post by curry4bfast » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:02 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
curry4bfast wrote:
I mean, it's not unheard of, but it's really not the regular route. What are your long-term career goals?
I think doing some type of impact litigation with a private firm or public interest org

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:47 pm

I'm thinking UIUC but if truly biglaw or bust then that doesn't seem that great. However, its definitely the most bang for your buck choice here for Chicago.

Northwestern ding?

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:52 pm

BU and USC don't make sense. I'd cross off BU but use USC to negotiate with WUSTL and Michigan.
Cornell doesn't really make sense since you're targeting Midwest and have Michigan on the table. But try negotiating both with them and using them.

curry4bfast

New

Post by curry4bfast » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:03 pm

Lawl_Schoolz wrote:I think you are significantly underestimating the COA and need to be more realistic in your assessment so you can consider the debt load. Michigan at sticker is well above 186k. The tuition and fees just to attend are going to be 55k or 58k depending on whether you are in state or out of state. They tend to increase tuition and fees a few percent a year. So, you need to figure you have at least 165k+ in tuition and fees - thats assuming NO increases. Then even if you found a place for 700 bucks a month, which would be on the lower side and didn't have a lease in the summer you've got another 19k-ish in rent alone. You then have to eat - so even at a few hundred dollars a month you're looking at another 8k-ish over your 3 years. There alone you're looking at over 200k without any loan fees or interest.

Michigan is a great school, but I think realistically you're looking closer to 225k to 250k at sticker. LST says 275k-ish and with a 25% reduction in estimated cost of living you're at 250. 70k is a lot, and you don't want to be surprised.

You're closer to what I think you'd actually spend for Cornell. Either of these options is not ideal in my opinion.
Yeah, I definitely get where you're coming from and maybe I am underestimating the COL specifically at Michigan. My reasoning was because of friends who pay under 400/mo in rent there currently and my own experience paying ~350 in rent and utilities/mo in Chicago for 4 years, which is a higher COL area than Ann Arbor. That's probably dumb seeing they're different areas and all but just thought I'd explain my reasoning behind that. and if it makes a difference I won't be financing COL through loans at all, my own savings and my parents help would account for that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

curry4bfast

New

Post by curry4bfast » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:05 pm

Rigo wrote:I'm thinking UIUC but if truly biglaw or bust then that doesn't seem that great. However, its definitely the most bang for your buck choice here for Chicago.

Northwestern ding?
Last edited by curry4bfast on Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

umichman

Bronze

Post by umichman » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:38 pm

curry4bfast wrote:
Lawl_Schoolz wrote:I think you are significantly underestimating the COA and need to be more realistic in your assessment so you can consider the debt load. Michigan at sticker is well above 186k. The tuition and fees just to attend are going to be 55k or 58k depending on whether you are in state or out of state. They tend to increase tuition and fees a few percent a year. So, you need to figure you have at least 165k+ in tuition and fees - thats assuming NO increases. Then even if you found a place for 700 bucks a month, which would be on the lower side and didn't have a lease in the summer you've got another 19k-ish in rent alone. You then have to eat - so even at a few hundred dollars a month you're looking at another 8k-ish over your 3 years. There alone you're looking at over 200k without any loan fees or interest.

Michigan is a great school, but I think realistically you're looking closer to 225k to 250k at sticker. LST says 275k-ish and with a 25% reduction in estimated cost of living you're at 250. 70k is a lot, and you don't want to be surprised.

You're closer to what I think you'd actually spend for Cornell. Either of these options is not ideal in my opinion.
Yeah, I definitely get where you're coming from and maybe I am underestimating the COL specifically at Michigan. My reasoning was because of friends who pay under 400/mo in rent there currently and my own experience paying ~350 in rent and utilities/mo in Chicago for 4 years, which is a higher COL area than Ann Arbor. That's probably dumb seeing they're different areas and all but just thought I'd explain my reasoning behind that. and if it makes a difference I won't be financing COL through loans at all, my own savings and my parents help would account for that.

rent will be closer to 800.

nyu2019maybeplease

Bronze

Post by nyu2019maybeplease » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:25 am

If you're really cost-sensitive (and it sounds like you are), retake. A 168 or 169 gets you more money at Michigan and northwestern, and those are the schools you should be going to for Chicago BigLaw.

If you're not going to retake, take WUSTL, USC, and BU offers to Michigan admissions, say you really want to go and why, and ask them to help. PM me if you want to talk more bout negotiating at Michigan.

Once you have the offer, I think it has to be Michigan if you're set on BigLaw in the Midwest. WUSTL is defensible too, but be aware about what you'll need to do there and see how many people they place outside St. Louis.

There are ways you can live affordably (I pay less than 800 for rent), but it's still a lot of money.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”