Michigan v. Northwestern

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
XUMickeal

New

Michigan v. Northwestern

Postby XUMickeal » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:24 pm

Hi all!

With the receipt of my most recent ding, my circle was officially over 2hrs ago. I have narrowed down my choices to either Michigan or Northwestern. Though I received a pretty decent scholly from Michigan and have not heard from NW as to $, money is not really an issue since my family is pretty comfortable with financing my legal education. I am an international student so getting a H1B sponsorship is my priority at the moment.
Career Aspiration: working in big laws for a few years until financially comfortable to switch to human rights advocacy;
Target Market: Chicago/NY;
Preferred lifestyle: no preference between big city/small town. But I'm a member of the LGBT community so would like to study in a more inclusive environment.
Since there exists a strong likelihood that I will end up working in another jurisdiction, international reputation is also a major concern.
Thanks for any potential input!

BruiseWillis

Bronze

Re: Michigan v. Northwestern

Postby BruiseWillis » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:32 pm

I feel like if money is not a concern and your target is biglaw Chicago, NU seems like the right option here because it feeds direct into Chi (unless you just love Michigan, they are peer schools so it seems like this will come down to personal preference more than anything).

curry1

Silver

Postby curry1 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:34 pm

XUMickeal wrote:Hi all!

With the receipt of my most recent ding, my circle was officially over 2hrs ago. I have narrowed down my choices to either Michigan or Northwestern. Though I received a pretty decent scholly from Michigan and have not heard from NW as to $, money is not really an issue since my family is pretty comfortable with financing my legal education. I am an international student so getting a H1B sponsorship is my priority at the moment.
Career Aspiration: working in big laws for a few years until financially comfortable to switch to human rights advocacy;
Target Market: Chicago/NY;
Preferred lifestyle: no preference between big city/small town. But I'm a member of the LGBT community so would like to study in a more inclusive environment.
Since there exists a strong likelihood that I will end up working in another jurisdiction, international reputation is also a major concern.
Thanks for any potential input!

NU

BoyJord

Bronze

Postby BoyJord » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:36 pm

Get a jump start on human rights advocacy/public interest and go to Michigan so I can take your spot at NU. I need move off NU's WL!

blackmamba8

Bronze

Postby blackmamba8 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:44 pm

It sounds like NU is the better option given your career goals. Do you want the "college town" atmosphere or are you fine going to law school in the city?

XUMickeal

New

Postby XUMickeal » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:51 pm

BruiseWillis wrote:I feel like if money is not a concern and your target is biglaw Chicago, NU seems like the right option here because it feeds direct into Chi (unless you just love Michigan, they are peer schools so it seems like this will come down to personal preference more than anything).

Thank you man! I am also wondering if Michigan possesses a slight prestige as opposed to NU for being a top 10 law school. Or are they just flat out peer schools albeit the ranking difference.

XUMickeal

New

Postby XUMickeal » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:52 pm

BoyJord wrote:Get a jump start on human rights advocacy/public interest and go to Michigan so I can take your spot at NU. I need move off NU's WL!

lol I'm rooting for you

GFox345

Bronze

Postby GFox345 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:54 pm

Both schools will easily get you BigLaw in Chicago. You may like it at Michigan more because of the Public Interest focus. It's really not a myth. There are a ton of people here who want to go into public interest. I'd say it's somewhere in the neighborhood of 25% of the class, and the numbers reflect that.

Also, unless your parents are worth hundreds of millions of dollars (and really even then) you should give serious weight to a larger scholarship. You should also bear in mind that Michigan is significantly cheaper than NU, so that only compounds the savings.

XUMickeal

New

Postby XUMickeal » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:55 pm

blackmamba8 wrote:It sounds like NU is the better option given your career goals. Do you want the "college town" atmosphere or are you fine going to law school in the city?

I did my undergrad in a college town but grew up in a big city so I should be fine with either. I do find Lawyer's club very tempting tho, as it seems to give Mich a sense of collegiality that NU does not have.

GFox345

Bronze

Postby GFox345 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:55 pm

XUMickeal wrote:
BruiseWillis wrote:I feel like if money is not a concern and your target is biglaw Chicago, NU seems like the right option here because it feeds direct into Chi (unless you just love Michigan, they are peer schools so it seems like this will come down to personal preference more than anything).

Thank you man! I am also wondering if Michigan possesses a slight prestige as opposed to NU for being a top 10 law school. Or are they just flat out peer schools albeit the ranking difference.

They are peer schools. I really think the prestige difference is over-stated on this forum. YHS on are a different level, but there is not much of a difference other than that within the T14.

curry1

Silver

Postby curry1 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:56 pm

GFox345 wrote:Both schools will easily get you BigLaw in Chicago. You may like it at Michigan more because of the Public Interest focus. It's really not a myth. There are a ton of people here who want to go into public interest. I'd say it's somewhere in the neighborhood of 25% of the class, and the numbers reflect that.

Also, unless your parents are worth hundreds of millions of dollars (and really even then) you should give serious weight to a larger scholarship. You should also bear in mind that Michigan is significantly cheaper than NU, so that only compounds the savings.

What? TLS cost sensitiveness gone to absurd lengths. If his/her parents have even a few million dollars and are happy to finance his education, he/she should do what they want.

BoyJord

Bronze

Postby BoyJord » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:58 pm

curry1 wrote: he/she should do what they want.

do his/her parents have a preference for one school over the other? didnt see that in anything OP has said

curry1

Silver

Postby curry1 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:59 pm

BoyJord wrote:

do his/her parents have a preference for one school over the other? didnt see that in anything OP has said

i meant to say he/she should do what he/she wants, not what her parents want. Typo

XUMickeal

New

Postby XUMickeal » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:00 pm

GFox345 wrote:
XUMickeal wrote:

They are peer schools. I really think the prestige difference is over-stated on this forum. YHS on are a different level, but there is not much of a difference other than that within the T14.

Thanks! really good know :D

GFox345

Bronze

Postby GFox345 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:01 pm

curry1 wrote:
GFox345 wrote:Both schools will easily get you BigLaw in Chicago. You may like it at Michigan more because of the Public Interest focus. It's really not a myth. There are a ton of people here who want to go into public interest. I'd say it's somewhere in the neighborhood of 25% of the class, and the numbers reflect that.

What? TLS cost sensitiveness gone to absurd lengths. If his/her parents have even a few million dollars and are happy to finance his education, he/she should do what they want.

I would agree with that if there was a significant difference in the schools' relative abilities to get OP the outcome that he wants. In this case, there is no such difference, and it just seems like a waste of money. Also, it's definitely economically feasible with a few million dollars, but why waste the money?

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:01 pm

I'd follow the money unless your family is truly very wealthy. Just visit both and see which culture you like more. There is a definite difference between downtown Chicago and a college town. Northwestern is also probably more corporate-focused (biglaw or business) than Michigan, if that matters to you.

Good luck. No obviously right or wrong choice here.
Last edited by Rigo on Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BoyJord

Bronze

Postby BoyJord » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:02 pm

curry1 wrote:
BoyJord wrote:

i meant to say he/she should do what he/she wants, not what her parents want. Typo

gotcha. haha then we are in total agreement.

nyu2019maybeplease

Bronze

Postby nyu2019maybeplease » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:09 am

Congrats, two great schools.

This sounds like a feel thing. Visit both schools, see which feels better.

I have friends at NW who love it, and I'd swear by Michigan. These are two similarly ranked schools in very different environments, so think about what you'd do well in/be happiest with. Happy to discuss what Michigan feels like if you PM me.

Lastly: if you're 1000% set on Chicago, pritzker may be more practical when you're job hunting. That said, we do just fine w Chicago. Had meet the employers tonight and there were at least 20 firms w Chicago offices here.

KMart

Gold

Postby KMart » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:43 am

Honestly this could go either way. I'd pick Michigan, but choosing NU is entirely defensible. Visit both and see where you're happier. Two great schools: congrats, op.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:31 pm

congrats on your options. as everyone else has said, this comes down to your preference since both are strong options. I would base this decision on 1) where I wanted to live for three years, downtown Chicago versus Ann Arbor; 2) what markets I was most interested in; and 3) how much I valued the human rights law aspect.

I will point out that your aspiration to "work a couple years in biglaw" and then "transition to human rights" is fairly unrealistic and does not accord with how legal hiring functions in IHR and the non-profit world. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it's unlikely. In terms of getting a job at a law firm, both schools position you equally well--perhaps the nudge to Northwestern for Chicago firms. In terms of human rights, if you were committed to public interest and you ditched the "biglaw for a few years" banter, Michigan would have the stronger program and placement.

XUMickeal

New

Postby XUMickeal » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:48 pm

jbagelboy wrote:congrats on your options. as everyone else has said, this comes down to your preference since both are strong options. I would base this decision on 1) where I wanted to live for three years, downtown Chicago versus Ann Arbor; 2) what markets I was most interested in; and 3) how much I valued the human rights law aspect.

I will point out that your aspiration to "work a couple years in biglaw" and then "transition to human rights" is fairly unrealistic and does not accord with how legal hiring functions in IHR and the non-profit world. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it's unlikely. In terms of getting a job at a law firm, both schools position you equally well--perhaps the nudge to Northwestern for Chicago firms. In terms of human rights, if you were committed to public interest and you ditched the "biglaw for a few years" banter, Michigan would have the stronger program and placement.

Thanks for the advice! the reason I sort of tailor my career in such a way is because of my status as an alien and generally PI entities do not sponsor H1B visa since the wage threshold is way too high. Plus human rights is not really an area that one could practice in my home country so working in the U.S. is the most plausible option for me to pursue my career goals. I know my aspiration sounds a bit unorthodox but I do know a few people who have followed this path and by whom I was very inspired. Anyway, thank you bro really appreciate your input. :D

blackmamba8

Bronze

Postby blackmamba8 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:24 am

XUMickeal wrote:
blackmamba8 wrote:It sounds like NU is the better option given your career goals. Do you want the "college town" atmosphere or are you fine going to law school in the city?

I did my undergrad in a college town but grew up in a big city so I should be fine with either. I do find Lawyer's club very tempting tho, as it seems to give Mich a sense of collegiality that NU does not have.

Michigan is my top choice for next year and I've been looking into the Lawyer's club too. Being a few hundred feet from classes, always having classmates nearby, not having to worry about meals, etc. would be pretty awesome. If you're looking for that sense of collegiality I think you're definitely more likely to find it at Michigan than NU.

KMart

Gold

Postby KMart » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:40 am

blackmamba8 wrote:
XUMickeal wrote:

Michigan is my top choice for next year and I've been looking into the Lawyer's club too. Being a few hundred feet from classes, always having classmates nearby, not having to worry about meals, etc. would be pretty awesome. If you're looking for that sense of collegiality I think you're definitely more likely to find it at Michigan than NU.

Lawyers club sounds great for all the other reasons listed, but be careful about being so close to classes. you don't want to feel trapped. sometimes it's nice to get away and catch a breath of fresh air and not feel like law school is literally right there.

blackmamba8

Bronze

Postby blackmamba8 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:58 am

KMart wrote:
blackmamba8 wrote:
XUMickeal wrote:

Lawyers club sounds great for all the other reasons listed, but be careful about being so close to classes. you don't want to feel trapped. sometimes it's nice to get away and catch a breath of fresh air and not feel like law school is literally right there.

Yeah that's true. I feel like there would be plenty of things to do around campus/town to be able to get away and take your mind off school when needed. I've lived on-campus all 4 years of UG so I guess I'm just used to the convenience that comes with it. Law school is a different beast though of course, so I'm sure being so close to classes would be both a blessing and a curse.

KMart

Gold

Postby KMart » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:24 am

blackmamba8 wrote:Yeah that's true. I feel like there would be plenty of things to do around campus/town to be able to get away and take your mind off school when needed. I've lived on-campus all 4 years of UG so I guess I'm just used to the convenience that comes with it. Law school is a different beast though of course, so I'm sure being so close to classes would be both a blessing and a curse.

and there's also something to be said living nearby in case you forget something and need to go back, or for any other reason that may arise. just something to think about!

Return to “Choosing a Law School�