Harvard v. Columbia (Butler) v. NYU (Vanderbilt) v. Chicago (Rubenstein)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

What's my best option?

Harvard
12%
Columbia (Butler)
5%
NYU (Vanderbilt)
11%
Chicago (Rubenstein)
72%

Total votes: 129

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: Harvard v. Columbia (Butler) v. NYU (Vanderbilt)

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:38 am

Not sure how that's really responsive to anything. Yes, economic advantage makes it easier to do well enough to get CCN full rides - or, of course, to get into HYS at all. Yes, HYS have need-based aid and LRAPs, and those are great, but if you get a full ride you don't need either of those things. If you don't get a full ride elsewhere the calculus is different, of course, which I think everyone here has acknowledged.

shadowfax

Bronze

Postby shadowfax » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:42 am

"are you saying they should turn down with money and pay full price just to be fair to others?"

I was responding to your question. If it was rhetorical I beg your forgiveness.

quiver

Silver

Postby quiver » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:41 pm

shadowfax wrote:"are you saying they should turn down with money and pay full price just to be fair to others?"

It's probably a good time for you to bow out of this thread.

kalvano wrote:So just to confirm, no actual practicing attorney with real-world experience thinks going into massive debt for law school is a good idea.
Yup.

shadowfax

Bronze

Postby shadowfax » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:08 pm

quiver wrote:
shadowfax wrote:"are you saying they should turn down with money and pay full price just to be fair to others?"

kalvano wrote:So just to confirm, no actual practicing attorney with real-world experience thinks going into massive debt for law school is a good idea.
Yup.

Well that's rude. As far as I can tell the OP and I are the only ones communicating on this thread that have actual experience in the situation the OP faces. The rest of you are commenting, as well you might, on something you know little about and on a situation you will never be presented with.

OP. Go to admitted students weekend at Harvard (and the same would apply for YS) and you can speak to many who when faced with your situation choose Harvard. If you have a time limitation on accepting your scholly that's a different issue. Normally it is not a problem. Good luck.

BlendedUnicorn

Platinum

Postby BlendedUnicorn » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:16 pm

OP: don't bother with ASW. You won't get a single iota of useful/relevant information. It might be fun though.

And since the post above me implied that we're all a bunch of jelly betches, let me assure you that I'm on my last year of getting paid to go to a perfectly fine law school and the flexibility of big NoDebt means that I'm in a much better position than all the HYS kids who, spoiler alert, end up working in the exact same places I will. I'll have a lot more flexibility to chase rare opportunities because I won't be tied down by 6 figures of debt.

elevin

New

Postby elevin » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:26 pm

Hello, OP here. You guys are really an angry bunch lol. I'm certainly leaning debt-free NYU. I don't know if debt-free Columbia would be better, it has the Ivy prestige but from what I hear the quality of professors/lifestyle/classes there is dropping.

shadowfax wrote:OP. Go to admitted students weekend at Harvard (and the same would apply for YS) and you can speak to many who when faced with your situation choose Harvard. If you have a time limitation on accepting your scholly that's a different issue. Normally it is not a problem. Good luck.

Definitely going to the Harvard one, and praying that Yale/Stanford get back to me ASAP so I can visit before the scholarship deadlines in April arrive. Speaking to Harvard kids sounds is a good idea!

HuntedUnicorn wrote:OP: don't bother with ASW. You won't get a single iota of useful/relevant information. It might be fun though.

And since sack of shit in the post above me implied that we're all a bunch of jelly betches, let me assure you that I'm on my last year of getting paid to go to a perfectly fine law school and the flexibility of big NoDebt means that I'm in a much better position than all the HYS nerds who, spoiler alert, end up working in the exact same places I will. I'll have a lot more flexibility to chase rare opportunities because I won't be tied down by 6 figures of debt.

Might be fun is good enough for meeee.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:30 pm

elevin wrote:Hello, OP here. You guys are really an angry bunch lol. I'm certainly leaning debt-free NYU. I don't know if debt-free Columbia would be better, it has the Ivy prestige but from what I hear the quality of professors/lifestyle/classes there is dropping.

Gosh I hope this is trolling.

And it's true that I never had these choices for law school, but having been practicing for 5 years makes clear how myopic this kind of argument is.

BlendedUnicorn

Platinum

Postby BlendedUnicorn » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:31 pm

Damn, tried to edit my post to take te edge off but wasn't quick enough.

Yeah go to ASW but just realize that it's a sales pitch and that you absolutely should not be making decisions worth hundreds of thousands of dollars based on that.

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Postby Nonconsecutive » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:43 pm

Yeah, as someone who has gotten over 130k of need-based aid from H (can't say what I'd have gotten from S beyond their initial offer) I can say without a doubt that having as close to zero debt as possible (i.e. NYU) would be diamonds. I can't comment on the HYS name longevity stuff since I'm still a 3L, but had I had an awesome scholarship elsewhere (I didn't, semi-splitter) I would have taken that and ran for the hills.

I agree with the above regarding ASW. Every school I went to was a Kool-Aid party.

soj

Platinum

Removed

Postby soj » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:50 pm

elevin

New

Postby elevin » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:51 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
elevin wrote:Hello, OP here. You guys are really an angry bunch lol. I'm certainly leaning debt-free NYU. I don't know if debt-free Columbia would be better, it has the Ivy prestige but from what I hear the quality of professors/lifestyle/classes there is dropping.

And it's true that I never had these choices for law school, but having been practicing for 5 years makes clear how myopic this kind of argument is.

Snarky.

What's wrong with my statement? That's just the review I got from three Class of 2016 Columbia grads who work at the firm I'm at.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:55 pm

The quality of professors and classes really doesn't change year to year, not in any way that students can measure in their time at a school. Not sure what quality of lifestyle even means since that's largely up to the individual student.

cavalier1138

Platinum

Postby cavalier1138 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:06 pm

shadowfax wrote:
quiver wrote:

Yup.

Well that's rude. As far as I can tell the OP and I are the only ones communicating on this thread that have actual experience in the situation the OP faces. The rest of you are commenting, as well you might, on something you know little about and on a situation you will never be presented with.

OP. Go to admitted students weekend at Harvard (and the same would apply for YS) and you can speak to many who when faced with your situation choose Harvard. If you have a time limitation on accepting your scholly that's a different issue. Normally it is not a problem. Good luck.

What does caviar taste like?

I've always wondered, but I've never even been allowed in the same room as people who have had that experience. Is it like having an angel's wings caress your tongue?

Npret

Gold

Postby Npret » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:10 pm

elevin wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:

Snarky.

What's wrong with my statement? That's just the review I got from three Class of 2016 Columbia grads who work at the firm I'm at.

This is not true. I don't know why you would believe it or believe that it matters for your biglaw career.
But it's ok OP. If you want to spend years repaying debt you didn't need to borrow, someone else will happily take your scholarship and graduate debt free.

canafsa

Bronze

Postby canafsa » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:18 pm

Last edited by canafsa on Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:22 pm

The thing is that most of the pro-scholarship crowd have had this discussion many many times before. It gets a little frustrating.

But I also don't think "T3 rejects" is actually a valid category.

cavalier1138

Platinum

Postby cavalier1138 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:23 pm

canafsa wrote:The rudeness and anger of the pro-scholarship crowd is starting to rub me like its composed of a bunch of bitter T3 rejects. I'm leaning towards the money and I still find you a repellent lot. There is nothing wrong with exploring alternative options and examining anecdotes. We aren't idiots and we aren't taking it as gospel.

I'm trying really hard to feel like someone with a Dante avatar isn't being just the tiniest bit condescending...

Kaziende

Bronze

Postby Kaziende » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:23 pm

canafsa wrote:The rudeness and anger of the pro-scholarship crowd is starting to rub me like its composed of a bunch of T3 rejects. I'm leaning towards the money and I still find you a repellent lot. There is nothing wrong with exploring alternative options and examining anecdotes. We aren't idiots and we aren't taking it as gospel.

Harsh as their tone may sometimes be, these people are doing a public service, and we should be listening to them and thanking them for providing a perspective that we wouldn't otherwise have access to. Admissions offices have an agenda. The only agenda these contributors have is to save us from ourselves. They're not T3 rejects. Don't be ridiculous. They're actual practicing lawyers who are paying off debt and desperately wish they didn't have to.

Anon.y.mousse.

Silver

Postby Anon.y.mousse. » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:24 pm

canafsa wrote:The rudeness and anger of the pro-scholarship crowd is starting to rub me like its composed of a bunch of bitter T3 rejects. I'm leaning towards the money and I still find you a repellent lot. There is nothing wrong with exploring alternative options and examining anecdotes. We aren't idiots and we aren't taking it as gospel.

wow you're incredibly condescending on pretty much every thread you post on. especially "bitter T3 rejects" like could you be more pretentious?

canafsa

Bronze

Postby canafsa » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:24 pm

Last edited by canafsa on Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:26 pm

I will when you don't dismiss people as T3 rejects.

canafsa

Bronze

Postby canafsa » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:26 pm

Last edited by canafsa on Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:28 pm

canafsa wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:I will when you don't dismiss people as T3 rejects.

Doesn't feel so nice when the snark is sent in your direction does it?

Oh honey lol. It was a simple "pot/kettle" comment, I don't care what you think of me.

canafsa

Bronze

Postby canafsa » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:28 pm

Last edited by canafsa on Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:30 pm

I'm mostly confused because I don't think I've said anything to you that could be construed as snarky. Shadowfax, maybe. It's just that when people argue that you're overvaluing prestige and then you talk about T3 rejects it seems like you might be confirming what they say.

Return to “Choosing a Law School?