Need help deciding between UF and Emory Law

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jakeharrison

New

Need help deciding between UF and Emory Law

Postby jakeharrison » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:43 pm

I have all of my applications in and have heard back from all of the schools I applied to. I have been accepted to FIU, UM, UF, and Emory. I automatically ruled out FIU (my safe school) and UM (based on various aspects). My decision now is between UF and Emory.

UF: I have received a 70% scholarship each year plus I pay in-state tuition.
Emory: I have received a scholarship for $57,000; about one semesters worth of tuition.
(money isn't the largest factor for me in making my decision)

I currently attend UF, have lived my entire life in South Florida, and could see myself working there out of law school. I would really like some advice on which school has more to offer. I have gone over many aspects including the fact that I'm comfortable at UF, I know the area well, and I know that Emory is usually ranked around 22 while UF is closer to 44-48.

Common questions are: where do you want to work after law school, can you stay in the same school for another 3 years, etc.?

Do you think that Emory is worth the new start over UF?

deadpanic

Silver

Re: Need help deciding between UF and Emory Law

Postby deadpanic » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:27 pm

If you want to work in Florida, I would easily take UF here, but calculate total cost of attendance for both.

jakeharrison

New

Postby jakeharrison » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:11 pm

deadpanic wrote:If you want to work in Florida, I would easily take UF here, but calculate total cost of attendance for both.

If you don't mind me asking, what leads you to such an easy decision?

UVA2B

Gold

Postby UVA2B » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:22 pm

jakeharrison wrote:
deadpanic wrote:If you want to work in Florida, I would easily take UF here, but calculate total cost of attendance for both.

UF gives you a better shot of staying in FL and would be much, much cheaper. It's a bit of a no-brainer. If you absolutely want Atlanta and a slightly better shot of going elsewhere in the Southeast, Emory closes the gap because UF likely won't get you into Atlanta or anywhere outside of FL.

What are your career goals? Have you calculated total COA for each school? How will you be paying for the COA? Have you looked at the 509 reports for the two schools to get an idea of their employment prospects? You should probably check out http://lawschooltransparency.com to get a better idea of this stuff, if you haven't already.

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:17 pm

See if you can negotiate more money from UF and then take that.
Emory isn't worth that much more especially if you're not gung-ho Atlanta.

jakeharrison

New

Postby jakeharrison » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:12 am

UVA2B wrote:
jakeharrison wrote:

UF gives you a better shot of staying in FL and would be much, much cheaper. It's a bit of a no-brainer. If you absolutely want Atlanta and a slightly better shot of going elsewhere in the Southeast, Emory closes the gap because UF likely won't get you into Atlanta or anywhere outside of FL.

What are your career goals? Have you calculated total COA for each school? How will you be paying for the COA? Have you looked at the 509 reports for the two schools to get an idea of their employment prospects? You should probably check out http://lawschooltransparency.com to get a better idea of this stuff, if you haven't already.

Do you think that my chances of getting the same job in south florida whether I go to Emory or UF would be about the same if I finished with a similar class ranking and extracurriculars? (ex. law review)

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:39 am

Why are you inclining toward Emory?

Dcc617

Gold

Postby Dcc617 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:02 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Why are you inclining toward Emory?

If it's because of the US news ranking, then stop. UF has good placement in Florida and makes sense at that price. EMory is a trap school.

ETA. Emory places 56% of student in Georgia, has an under employment rate of 16%, and places 75% of its class as lawyers. Florida has very similar employment numbers (except 14% rather than 28% in biglaw + fed clerkships), but overwhelmingly places in Florida and makes so much more sense at that price.

In short, if you want to work in Florida it makes way more sense to go to Florida. With in state tuition and that scholarship it's like at least a 150K dollar difference.

https://www.lstreports.com/compare/florida/emory/

jakeharrison

New

Postby jakeharrison » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:50 am

I'm inclining towards Emory because of it has a better reputation nationally, so if I did want to work somewhere else besides south Florida it could be a better choice in that scenario. I've also been told people who are currently attending that the city is great and the education seems like it's worth the money (they attended UF undergrad). I've been doing my research, I just want to make sure that if I do go to UF, I didn't leave the better, more obvious option on the table.

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:58 am

jakeharrison wrote:

I'm inclining towards Emory because of it has a better reputation nationally, so if I did want to work somewhere else besides south Florida it could be a better choice in that scenario. I've also been told people who are currently attending that the city is great and the education seems like it's worth the money (they attended UF undergrad). I've been doing my research, I just want to make sure that if I do go to UF, I didn't leave the better, more obvious option on the table.

At that level of rankings (20 and below) national rep really doesn't matter. Odds are you still won't place out of Georgia from Emory, or out of Florida from UF.

If you are interested in national rep, you'd need to retake and get into a T14

jakeharrison

New

Postby jakeharrison » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:16 pm

So consensus seems to be, Emory is a better school education wise than UF, and has slightly better post-grad employment. The main factor, however, is that UF will get me a job in Florida, while Emory will get me a job in Atlanta. Emory doesn't appear to have anywhere near that T14 power and so a south Florida law firm isn't going to say "take this kid from Emory over this kid from UF because Emory is definitely a better school so we need him".

UVA2B

Gold

Postby UVA2B » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:21 pm

jakeharrison wrote:So consensus seems to be, Emory is a better school education wise than UF, and has slightly better post-grad employment. The main factor, however, is that UF will get me a job in Florida, while Emory will get me a job in Atlanta. Emory doesn't appear to have anywhere near that T14 power and so a south Florida law firm isn't going to say "take this kid from Emory over this kid from UF because Emory is definitely a better school so we need him".

The quality of education is fungible between these two schools with an insignificant difference in quality of student. You need to get USNWR out of your head entirely in making this decision.

UF is better at getting you a FL job, Emory would be better for getting a GA job.

If you want a FL job, go to UF, especially when it's drastically cheaper.

poptart123

Silver

Postby poptart123 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:23 pm

UVA2B wrote:
jakeharrison wrote:So consensus seems to be, Emory is a better school education wise than UF, and has slightly better post-grad employment. The main factor, however, is that UF will get me a job in Florida, while Emory will get me a job in Atlanta. Emory doesn't appear to have anywhere near that T14 power and so a south Florida law firm isn't going to say "take this kid from Emory over this kid from UF because Emory is definitely a better school so we need him".

The quality of education is fungible between these two schools with an insignificant difference in quality of student. You need to get USNWR out of your head entirely in making this decision.

UF is better at getting you a FL job, Emory would be better for getting a GA job.

If you want a FL job, go to UF, especially when it's drastically cheaper.

The Florida law firm will probably say "Why did this kid from Florida go to Emory with UF right here?"

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:24 pm

Emory will get you a job in *GA* not necessarily ATL.

And yeah, if you're swinging at schools below 20, forget about rankings and go where you want to work. Below GULC, ranking really doesn't matter, and certainly no one in Palm Beach or Miami is going to look at you and say "HIRE THIS MAN HE WENT TO EMORY" over UF.

timbs4339

Gold

Postby timbs4339 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:00 pm

jakeharrison wrote:

I don't get this. If you want to work in FL post-graduation, then go to FL. Once you have been practicing for a few years nobody from another part of the country (maybe aside from GA) is not going to consider you for jobs you are otherwise qualified and a good fit for based on experience because you didn't go to Emory.

jakeharrison

New

Postby jakeharrison » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:16 pm

timbs4339 wrote:
jakeharrison wrote:

I don't get this. If you want to work in FL post-graduation, then go to FL. Once you have been practicing for a few years nobody from another part of the country (maybe aside from GA) is not going to consider you for jobs you are otherwise qualified and a good fit for based on experience because you didn't go to Emory.

This relates more specifically to first job or so out of college trying to work for a big law firm. So I get the idea that after working a few years it won't matter, but I'm speaking on that first year or so out of law school.

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:25 pm

jakeharrison wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:
jakeharrison wrote:

This relates more specifically to first job or so out of college trying to work for a big law firm. So I get the idea that after working a few years it won't matter, but I'm speaking on that first year or so out of law school.

You are mistaken about Emory's reach both in your first year out of school and in your tenth. Your school has a massive impact on where you can work, and if you want to work in FL, Emory is objectively the wrong choice here.

timbs4339

Gold

Postby timbs4339 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:57 pm

jakeharrison wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:
jakeharrison wrote:

What is more important to you professionally - working any job in Florida or working biglaw anywhere?

jakeharrison

New

Postby jakeharrison » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:59 pm

I know that I want to work big law and I'm not sure where, but I'm almost positive that it will be in South Florida, specifically Miami.

Npret

Silver

Postby Npret » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:03 pm

jakeharrison wrote:I know that I want to work big law and I'm not sure where, but I'm almost positive that it will be in South Florida, specifically Miami.

South Florida biglaw is one of the most competitive markets. It's difficult to get from even top schools. I don't see Emory helping to with this goal over Florida.

Kali the Annihilator

Platinum

Postby Kali the Annihilator » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:08 pm

jakeharrison wrote:

Emory's rep nationally is not that good. The gain is marginal at best.

Kali the Annihilator

Platinum

Postby Kali the Annihilator » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:09 pm

jakeharrison wrote:I know that I want to work big law and I'm not sure where, but I'm almost positive that it will be in South Florida, specifically Miami.

(Almost positive I want South Florida)
(Leaning emory)
(Irony nuke explodes and kills us all)

Return to “Choosing a Law School�