Removed

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
dabigchina

Silver

Re: Being selfish when engaged?

Postby dabigchina » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:45 pm

Desert Fox wrote:And his fiancé will probably get fucked silly by some bros in the bathroom at brothers while he plays shuffleboard in the u of c clubhouse

goddamn tell us how you really feel.

BlendedUnicorn

Platinum

Postby BlendedUnicorn » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:49 pm

Rigo wrote:
TheCubsFan wrote:What do you guys think about SLU with a full ride (1843 Scholar) vs WashU with ~$100k scholly? Not sure about BigLaw, but want to keep STL large firms as an option at least. And I definitely want to stay in the STL area. My fiancé will have a full time job in Saint Louis, so living expenses will be paid by her, making SLU basically completely debt-free. I will need to take out around $70,000 in loans for WashU.

I've heard that the 1843 Scholarship opens a lot of doors that might negate the disparity between the schools rankings. Has anyone had experience with that?

If I do decide to go for STL "biglaw" over say, working as a prosecutor in the government, would WashU be a huge advantage?

Stats: 165 LSAT, 3.9 GPA

QFP

Holy shit retake

UVA2B

Gold

Postby UVA2B » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:40 am

Desert Fox wrote:
Rigo wrote:I'm also confused why you're pushing federal clerking as your number one priority now when that was never even mentioned in your previous threads when talking about goals. You seemed to be on the prosecutor track before and meh about bigLaw.

You honestly just seem all over the place.

Tlsers have been using "but meh clerkship" as an excuse to spend a third of a million dollars on prestige for like ten years now.

If OP turns down a fullride for 330k debt he's an idiot. And his fiancé will probably get fucked silly by some bros in the bathroom at brothers while he plays shuffleboard in the u of c clubhouse

Come on, really? Beyond being blatantly offensive (assuming the OP narrative is legit), this is just unnecessary.

Chicago gives a non-zero boost in the stated goals of the OP, and that should be respected. Is it insanely unlikely to become judge after clerking and doing Biglaw? Obviously yes. Is that investment worth sticker for Chicago? Most likely not, but it's far too easy to discount goals because cheap=better. I'm generally a very fiscally conservative person, but if OP really wants Art. III/COA/Biglaw into maybe appointed judiciary, UChi is the play.

Do I think it's financially smart to pick UChi at sticker over a full ride at UIUC? No, I don't. But I have zero goals that border on what the OP claims they want.

I'm probably just bothered by the rape fantasy you're imagining, but whatever.

Desert Fox

Diamond

Postby Desert Fox » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:01 am

UVA2B wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Rigo wrote:I'm also confused why you're pushing federal clerking as your number one priority now when that was never even mentioned in your previous threads when talking about goals. You seemed to be on the prosecutor track before and meh about bigLaw.

You honestly just seem all over the place.

Tlsers have been using "but meh clerkship" as an excuse to spend a third of a million dollars on prestige for like ten years now.

If OP turns down a fullride for 330k debt he's an idiot. And his fiancé will probably get fucked silly by some bros in the bathroom at brothers while he plays shuffleboard in the u of c clubhouse

Come on, really? Beyond being blatantly offensive (assuming the OP narrative is legit), this is just unnecessary.

Chicago gives a non-zero boost in the stated goals of the OP, and that should be respected. Is it insanely unlikely to become judge after clerking and doing Biglaw? Obviously yes. Is that investment worth sticker for Chicago? Most likely not, but it's far too easy to discount goals because cheap=better. I'm generally a very fiscally conservative person, but if OP really wants Art. III/COA/Biglaw into maybe appointed judiciary, UChi is the play.

Do I think it's financially smart to pick UChi at sticker over a full ride at UIUC? No, I don't. But I have zero goals that border on what the OP claims they want.

I'm probably just bothered by the rape fantasy you're imagining, but whatever.

Rape? That came from your imagination.

And the argument that it's a stupid choice but op wants it so we should respect it is dumb as fuck.
Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

zot1

Gold

Postby zot1 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:20 am

1L curse is gonna hit hard.

Johann

Diamond

Postby Johann » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:20 am

get a job.

somedeadman

Bronze

Postby somedeadman » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:26 am

Gonna have to get some popcorn for this one

cavalier1138

Platinum

Postby cavalier1138 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:24 am

Rigo wrote:
Platopus wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:The commute between Hyde Park and Champaigne is about 2 hours. If you don't want to live apart, you could easily find a small place in the middle where it's a 1-hour commute either direction. But you need to make it clear to your fiancee that the job opportunities at Chicago are radically different from those at UIUC. I assume she chose UIUC for her graduate studies because it was the best school choice for her, so I also assume she'll understand why you would choose to go to Chicago.

This is certainly possible, but with city traffic i would recommend living much closer to Chicago, as a normal 1 hour commute can easily be 2+ in traffic, whereas traffic will have much less of an impact heading south.

I mean this sounds miserable for both parties. Who wants to spend over 2 hours daily commuting while in school? There's literally nothing* between Champaign and Chicago anyways.

*my b I forgot about the 20-something hotspot that is Kankakee.

No one wants to live in Champaign (or anywhere else in the godforsaken wasteland that is the space surrounding the great city of Chicago), so I hardly see how this is a point. Everyone will be miserable living in Hicksville, USA, but if the fiancee is insisting on living there, might as well live somewhere that works for both parties.

BlendedUnicorn

Platinum

Postby BlendedUnicorn » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:42 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
Rigo wrote:
Platopus wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:The commute between Hyde Park and Champaigne is about 2 hours. If you don't want to live apart, you could easily find a small place in the middle where it's a 1-hour commute either direction. But you need to make it clear to your fiancee that the job opportunities at Chicago are radically different from those at UIUC. I assume she chose UIUC for her graduate studies because it was the best school choice for her, so I also assume she'll understand why you would choose to go to Chicago.

This is certainly possible, but with city traffic i would recommend living much closer to Chicago, as a normal 1 hour commute can easily be 2+ in traffic, whereas traffic will have much less of an impact heading south.

I mean this sounds miserable for both parties. Who wants to spend over 2 hours daily commuting while in school? There's literally nothing* between Champaign and Chicago anyways.

No one wants to live in Champaign (or anywhere else in the godforsaken wasteland that is the space surrounding the great city of Chicago), so I hardly see how this is a point. Everyone will be miserable living in Hicksville, USA, but if the fiancee is insisting on living there, might as well live somewhere that works for both parties.

Scooped on the traffic point (a hour drive to Chicago is easily 2+ in weekdays in the winter) but also an ldr that requires a 2 hour drive is an easy easy ldr. Honestly, it's almost ideal for law school- you do your own thing during the week and then spend weekends together. Plus, OP should not start his new life out feeling like his wife held him back. If a relationship can't stand few years of relatively mild long distance, it's probably not worth doing.

Whether Chicago at sticker or Illinois full ride is a better deal is a separate question. TBH I don't think I would do either and if OP's stats are accurate a retake seems like the smart play.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:55 am

Desert Fox wrote:And his fiancé will probably get fucked silly by some bros in the bathroom at brothers while he plays shuffleboard in the u of c clubhouse

This is really gross, DF. Don't do this.

Wipfelder

Silver

Postby Wipfelder » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:20 am

HuntedUnicorn wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
Rigo wrote:
Platopus wrote:

Scooped on the traffic point (a hour drive to Chicago is easily 2+ in weekdays in the winter) but also an ldr that requires a 2 hour drive is an easy easy ldr. Honestly, it's almost ideal for law school- you do your own thing during the week and then spend weekends together. Plus, OP should not start his new life out feeling like his wife held him back. If a relationship can't stand few years of relatively mild long distance, it's probably not worth doing.

Whether Chicago at sticker or Illinois full ride is a better deal is a separate question. TBH I don't think I would do either and if OP's stats are accurate a retake seems like the smart play.

There is also the METRA, which makes it pretty easy to get to CHI. OP's suggested geographic split is actually fairly common at Chicago law schools, or even just for people working in the city.

Gold

Postby 20170322 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:09 am

Tbh, I think both schools are somewhat justifiable. I'd side with the side of no debt, as it's basically a free lottery ticket, but I can see the appeal of Chicago. I'd sit down and think long and hard if you're willing to pay 40k a year for 10 years. I'd put the fiancee issue aside and choose this first.

Return to “Choosing a Law School?