George Washington & Need-Based Aid

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
cavalier1138

Gold

Re: George Washington & Need-Based Aid

Postby cavalier1138 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:10 pm

Rigo wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
Rigo wrote:Trump will still be president when OP graduates (unless he's removed/he quits/he dies).

Not to nitpick, but OP will be class of 2021 (assuming the OP continues with the "I must attend law school next year at all costs" mentality). So even if none of those hoped-for-but-unlikely events occurs, Trump's first term will be over, and no matter how much you think people underestimated "Middle America" this election, I don't see a second term in his future.

By next year, I'm pretty sure they mean this falll. Otherwise they wouldn't have applied this cycle.

Eh, either way. Trump will either be gone or on his way out, and the freeze will almost certainly be lifting/lifted. These hiring freezes play well to the public until people realize that federal agencies need employees to, you know function. I'm not saying that this is a great option that one can assume a degree from GW will offer, but I don't think that the current policies of this administration should factor in to the decision.

Besides, this is all completely irrelevant, because the OP is shooting for biglaw from GW, not government.

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:13 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Rigo wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
Rigo wrote:Trump will still be president when OP graduates (unless he's removed/he quits/he dies).

Not to nitpick, but OP will be class of 2021 (assuming the OP continues with the "I must attend law school next year at all costs" mentality). So even if none of those hoped-for-but-unlikely events occurs, Trump's first term will be over, and no matter how much you think people underestimated "Middle America" this election, I don't see a second term in his future.

By next year, I'm pretty sure they mean this falll. Otherwise they wouldn't have applied this cycle.

Eh, either way. Trump will either be gone or on his way out, and the freeze will almost certainly be lifting/lifted. These hiring freezes play well to the public until people realize that federal agencies need employees to, you know function. I'm not saying that this is a great option that one can assume a degree from GW will offer, but I don't think that the current policies of this administration should factor in to the decision.

Besides, this is all completely irrelevant, because the OP is shooting for biglaw from GW, not government.

Or Trump will be re-elected, so either way, it's dumb to assume a hiring freeze will be lifted based on some public opinion polls almost 4 years out from an election.

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:24 pm

Being certain about the results of the 2020 election is insane to me since it's so far away, especially given that 2016 turned out to be Truman v. Dewey 2.0.

OP shouldn't go to school banking on ramped up fedgov hiring upon graduation.

goldenbear2020

Silver

Postby goldenbear2020 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:43 pm

LawDude88 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
LawDude88 wrote:
favabeansoup wrote:GW would probably negotiate if you got better scholarship packages, but only from similarly ranked schools, but it probably wouldn't drastically improve.

Highly, highly recommend not going to GW at full cost. You will end up with probably over $300,000 in debt, which is a enormous amount of money.

In your honest opinion, what annual tuition level should I be happy with? What level of debt do you think GW would be worth? I know it's common wisdom on TLS that it's a "trap school" but a fair share of their students DO find success afterwards. It might not be the unanimous success of a T-14 school but nevertheless is still impressive.

Thanks!

Well, what do you consider "impressive"?

I wouldn't take on more debt than you can pay off. And since GW is not likely to get you biglaw, that means I wouldn't take on more than the cost of living expenses, because you won't be earning enough to reasonably pay off anything else.

A minimum of 25% of GW grads end up in BigLaw. It very much is a possibility of a decent portion of grads.

I appreciate your reply but I actually didn't quote you in the above post and respectfully request you not post on this thread. Thanks!

GW placed 35% of their 2015 class into biglaw and fed clerkships.

Return to “Choosing a Law School�