Law School BigLaw Market Geography

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Law School BigLaw Market Geography

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:40 pm

Hey everyone,

Since a bunch of people are asking (is X school good if I want to do BigLaw in location Y?) I thought it would be helful for us to compile a master list of schools and their BigLaw reaches/footprint. Basically I think it would be helpful for people trying to decide which schools to attend if they want to go into biglaw in a specific market. I'll start with some but please feel free to make any corrections/additions and I'll update the list.

1. Yale Law - National
2. Harvard Law - National
3. Stanford Law - National
4. Columbia Law - National
5. U of Chicago Law - National
6. NYU Law - National
7. Penn Law - National
8. Berkeley Law - National
9. Michigan Law - National
10. UVA - National
11. Duke - National
12. Northwestern - National
13. Cornell - National
14. Georgetown - National

15. UT - Texas, South
16. Vanderbilt - Southeast, South, (Some NY/DC)
17. UCLA - West Coast, California, Southwest.
18. Wash U - Midwest, Chicago, (Some South)
19. USC - West Coast, California, Southwest
20. BU - Boston, New York
22. Notre Dame - Chicago, Midwest
30. BC - Boston, Maybe NYC
37. Fordham - New York
40. UIllinoisUC - Chicago, St. Louis
Last edited by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. on Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Re: Law School BigLaw Market Geography

Postby trebekismyhero » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:11 pm

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:Hey everyone,

Since a bunch of people are asking (is X school good if I want to do BigLaw in location Y?) I thought it would be helful for us to compile a master list of schools and their BigLaw reaches/footprint. Basically I think it would be helpful for people trying to decide which schools to attend if they want to go into biglaw in a specific market. I'll start with some but please feel free to make any corrections/additions and I'll update the list.

1. Yale Law - National
6. NYU Law - National
7. Penn Law - National
10. UVA - National
11. Duke - National
13. Cornell - National

15. UT - Texas, South

Outside of t14, shouldn't really be targeting big law, but are we at least limiting it to at least schools with 25% or more big law?

University of Illinois - Chicago, St. Louis
Notre Dame - Chicago, Midwest
Fordham - New York
BC - Boston, maybe NYC

BigZuck

Diamond

Postby BigZuck » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:18 pm

I get what you're going for here but I don't think it's really going to work.

UT for instance- What is "South?" By and large it's probably significantly easier to get a big law job in New York from UT than it is to get one in Georgia. But as with everything law school related, it depends. Also, is Georgia "South"? Is it "Southeast"?

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:32 pm

BigZuck wrote:I get what you're going for here but I don't think it's really going to work.

UT for instance- What is "South?" By and large it's probably significantly easier to get a big law job in New York from UT than it is to get one in Georgia. But as with everything law school related, it depends. Also, is Georgia "South"? Is it "Southeast"?

Haha yeah that's a good point. I guess I should've just put South.

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:33 pm

trebekismyhero wrote:

1. Yale Law - National
6. NYU Law - National
7. Penn Law - National
10. UVA - National
11. Duke - National
13. Cornell - National

15. UT - Texas, South

Outside of t14, shouldn't really be targeting big law, but are we at least limiting it to at least schools with 25% or more big law?

University of Illinois - Chicago, St. Louis
Notre Dame - Chicago, Midwest
Fordham - New York
BC - Boston, maybe NYC

Thanks! You really think that outside of T14 shouldn't be targeting biglaw? Not sure if I agree with that since T-20 seems to give you a solid chance and schools like BC and Fordham are very strong in their regions.

guynourmin

Gold

Postby guynourmin » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:34 pm

BigZuck wrote:I get what you're going for here but I don't think it's really going to work.

Also, once you fall outside of the top schools (be in 13, 14, 17 - I don't care; that's not the point) BL is just so unlikely no matter what market you're looking at, that saying something like "Notre Dame has a decent BL footprint in Chicago" will confuse people, because while that is true, most people at ND are NOT getting BL anywhere and its much more important they know that from the outset than know that ND does better in Chi than it does in Miami.

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:38 pm

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:Thanks! You really think that outside of T14 shouldn't be targeting biglaw? Not sure if I agree with that since T-20 seems to give you a solid chance and schools like BC and Fordham are very strong in their regions.

With the exception of UT students going for Texas biglaw, I'd definitely argue that non-T14 students shouldn't target biglaw. It's ok to have that ambition, but your 1L grades will significantly impact your ability to realize your goals. A T14 student has much less of a problem in that area.

This all ties back to the forced curve. If only the top third of the class can get biglaw, then two-thirds of the class really doesn't have much of a shot. So Fordham is going to be a better choice than, say, Cardozo. But that doesn't make Fordham a good option with any real debt.

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:39 pm

guybourdin wrote:

Also, once you fall outside of the top schools (be in 13, 14, 17 - I don't care; that's not the point) BL is just so unlikely no matter what market you're looking at, that saying something like "Notre Dame has a decent BL footprint in Chicago" will confuse people, because while that is true, most people at ND are NOT getting BL anywhere and its much more important they know that from the outset than know that ND does better in Chi than it does in Miami.

That's true I can agree to that. Maybe it might be more helful if we compiled a list of schools worth going to if somebody wanted to do BL? Not sure but I was just so tired of people asking "is Toledo good for NYC/DC biglaw?" haha

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:44 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:Thanks! You really think that outside of T14 shouldn't be targeting biglaw? Not sure if I agree with that since T-20 seems to give you a solid chance and schools like BC and Fordham are very strong in their regions.

With the exception of UT students going for Texas biglaw, I'd definitely argue that non-T14 students shouldn't target biglaw. It's ok to have that ambition, but your 1L grades will significantly impact your ability to realize your goals. A T14 student has much less of a problem in that area.

This all ties back to the forced curve. If only the top third of the class can get biglaw, then two-thirds of the class really doesn't have much of a shot. So Fordham is going to be a better choice than, say, Cardozo. But that doesn't make Fordham a good option with any real debt.

Completely agree with 100% of this. Just thought it would be helpful for those (and there are many) here that ask about whether a specific school serves a particular market. I'm just sso used to seeing "Will this West Coast/Midwest TTT get me NY Biglaw?" questions.

Maybe a list might be helful for people that (and I agree with you) don't get into T14 or have to pay sticker, and can see where they should consider if they still have BL ambitions. Of course, they should definitely get that 1L grades will determine everything, but maybe it would be helpful for them to know that a 3.7 at Fordham can get you into NYC BL at a higher rate than a 3.7 at Kent.

guynourmin

Gold

Postby guynourmin » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:56 pm

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:

Completely agree with 100% of this. Just thought it would be helpful for those (and there are many) here that ask about whether a specific school serves a particular market. I'm just sso used to seeing "Will this West Coast/Midwest TTT get me NY Biglaw?" questions.

Maybe a list might be helful for people that (and I agree with you) don't get into T14 or have to pay sticker, and can see where they should consider if they still have BL ambitions. Of course, they should definitely get that 1L grades will determine everything, but maybe it would be helpful for them to know that a 3.7 at Fordham can get you into NYC BL at a higher rate than a 3.7 at Kent.

imo, the people you are thinking this thread will serve will never use the search function to find this thread, and, even if this thread shaped up into someone that could be helpful, if someone linked them to this thread, they would say something like, yeah, well the thing is, my situation is kind of unique because I was sick when I took the lsat and know I'm a 175+ person who will be in the top 5% of their class, and I do have pretty significant ties to that market (my Uncle's ex-wife lives there and we text a lot still), so now do you think texas tech is a good idea for Seattle biglaw?

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:09 pm

guybourdin wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:

imo, the people you are thinking this thread will serve will never use the search function to find this thread, and, even if this thread shaped up into someone that could be helpful, if someone linked them to this thread, they would say something like, yeah, well the thing is, my situation is kind of unique because I was sick when I took the lsat and know I'm a 175+ person who will be in the top 5% of their class, and I do have pretty significant ties to that market (my Uncle's ex-wife lives there and we text a lot still), so now do you think texas tech is a good idea for Seattle biglaw?

Jeez, it's scary that I can already see that in my head haha

PrezRand

Gold

Postby PrezRand » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:38 pm

Are you including FedClerk in the 25%? If so, I think SMU hits that

Stylnator

Silver

Postby Stylnator » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:41 pm

guybourdin wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:

https://www.reddit.com/r/lawschooladmis ... h=6c1b45b0

guynourmin

Gold

Postby guynourmin » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:54 pm

Stylnator wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:

https://www.reddit.com/r/lawschooladmis ... h=6c1b45b0

somedeadman

Bronze

Postby somedeadman » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:34 pm

U of I places in stl?

Npret

Silver

Postby Npret » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:44 pm

Also pls link to the "So you want to be a biglaw corporate lawyer" thread so everyone can then explain why biglaw lawyers are whiny complainers who never worked a day in their life and what do you expect for $180,000 at least you are inside and not roofing in Texas.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Postby trebekismyhero » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:29 pm

somedeadman wrote:U of I places in stl?

Yeah, all the major StL firms recruit from U of I

somedeadman

Bronze

Postby somedeadman » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:07 pm

trebekismyhero wrote:

Dang, wish I had applied there now. I figured it was t14 plus WashU and SLU

kingpin101

Bronze

Postby kingpin101 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:09 pm

1. Yale Law - National
6. NYU Law - National
7. Penn Law - National
10. UVA - National
11. Duke - National
13. Cornell - National
14. Georgetown - NationalStruggle Town

15. UT - Texas, South
22. Notre Dame - Chicago, Midwest
30. BC - Boston, Maybe NYC
37. Fordham - New York
40. UIllinoisUC - Chicago, St. Louis

FTFY

trebekismyhero

Silver

Postby trebekismyhero » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:16 pm

somedeadman wrote:
trebekismyhero wrote:

If you have the numbers might not be too late.

somedeadman

Bronze

Postby somedeadman » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:01 pm

trebekismyhero wrote:
somedeadman wrote:
trebekismyhero wrote:

If you have the numbers might not be too late.

Looks like I have a fee waiver, so might as well give it a shot

Return to “Choosing a Law School�