Villanova For NYC Biglaw?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
greatspirit

Bronze
Posts: 169
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:26 pm

Villanova For NYC Biglaw?

Postby greatspirit » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:51 pm

Looking for five non-T14 schools to apply to, that give me a fair shot at NYC biglaw. So far have Fordham as a definite.

Thoughts on Villanova for NYC Biglaw?

User avatar
Ronan

Gold
Posts: 2080
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:58 am

Re: Villanova For NYC Biglaw?

Postby Ronan » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:59 pm

Not good.

User avatar
floatie

Silver
Posts: 582
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:39 pm

Re: Villanova For NYC Biglaw?

Postby floatie » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:02 pm

Your best bets are probably T20s, then, although the odds there are still not great. Vandy, BU, Emory, place some people in NYC biglaw.

runinthefront

Gold
Posts: 2155
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:18 am

Re: Villanova For NYC Biglaw?

Postby runinthefront » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:23 pm

greatspirit wrote:Looking for five non-T14 schools to apply to, that give me a fair shot at NYC biglaw. So far have Fordham as a definite.

Thoughts on Villanova for NYC Biglaw?

very, very poor odds.
Last edited by runinthefront on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Clemenceau

Silver
Posts: 941
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:33 am

Re: Villanova For NYC Biglaw?

Postby Clemenceau » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:28 pm

Villanova isn't even a good option for philly mid/biglaw, where you think theyd have some home field advantage.

cavalier1138

Gold
Posts: 4954
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: Villanova For NYC Biglaw?

Postby cavalier1138 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:05 pm

No realistic chance of biglaw from Villanova, especially in NYC. But you'd know that from looking at the employment reports. So it seems like you're really just looking for people to validate your decision to not shoot for schools that actually give you a shot at biglaw.

User avatar
trebekismyhero

Silver
Posts: 784
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 5:26 pm

Re: Villanova For NYC Biglaw?

Postby trebekismyhero » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:26 pm

If you want big law in NYC you need to go to a t14. Vandy, Fordham, probably UT and WUSTL will give you a shot, but not to the point that it is worth going to those schools if big law is your ultimate goal.

User avatar
dm1683

Silver
Posts: 744
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:57 pm

Re: Villanova For NYC Biglaw?

Postby dm1683 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:32 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:No realistic chance of biglaw from Villanova, especially in NYC. But you'd know that from looking at the employment reports. So it seems like you're really just looking for people to validate your decision to not shoot for schools that actually give you a shot at biglaw.


trebekismyhero wrote:If you want big law in NYC you need to go to a t14. Vandy, Fordham, probably UT and WUSTL will give you a shot, but not to the point that it is worth going to those schools if big law is your ultimate goal.


Harsh but true. OP, your options are limited. Fordham is a good choice with a good scholarship ( > half tuition). I would shoot an app to Cornell, but if you got in you'd probably be at sticker, which is not good.

Maybe try Cardozo? They should give you a full ride if you got into Fordham. Other than that, yeah, Vanderbilt, Emory, BU, ND, GWU, WUSTL etc. are your best bets. Don't go to any of these at sticker though.

If you go to any of these schools except Cornell you have to be comfortable with the possibility (and in some cases, probability) of not landing biglaw.

HTH.

User avatar
Ferrisjso

Gold
Posts: 2149
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:40 pm

Re: Villanova For NYC Biglaw?

Postby Ferrisjso » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:39 pm

greatspirit wrote:Looking for five non-T14 schools to apply to, that give me a fair shot at NYC biglaw. So far have Fordham as a definite.

Thoughts on Villanova for NYC Biglaw?


The answer to your question all depends on what you consider a "fair shot" at NYC BL. Fordham gives you about a 1/3 chance at BL, the next best schools in NY would be Cardozo and Brooklyn which gives you about a 1/6 at worst to a 1/4 chance of getting BL at best. If you aren't BL or bust but are open to the idea(honestly you probably should be open to multiple practice areas going into law school, it aggravates me t no end seeing people telling 0L's that they should know exactly what kind of law they want going into LS when they don't know anything about the various practice areas)Same odds at SJU but they give out almost exclusively bad conditional scholarships. Outside of those 7 schools there really is nowhere in NY worth attending law school at for people who want BL. Outside of the T14 or NYC T's and TT's though no school will give you more than a lottery chance at BL in NYC(5-10% at best). Also applying late has probably hurt you a bit in regards to the scholly money you will receive.

I try to be more optimistic than most on here but yeah you have next to no chance of getting NYC BL from Villanova. Villanova should only be a school you apply to if you want to work and live in PA.

User avatar
Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver
Posts: 1222
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:55 pm

Re: Villanova For NYC Biglaw?

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:15 pm

wait so let me get this straight. You say non-14 school for NYC Biglaw but went straight down the list to Villanova (rank 74, not even the second best law school in Philly?)? What happened to literally every other northeast school in between?

User avatar
zot1

Gold
Posts: 4474
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:53 am

Re: Villanova For NYC Biglaw?

Postby zot1 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:35 pm

Lol no.

User avatar
Gitaroo_Dude

Silver
Posts: 546
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:06 pm

Re: Villanova For NYC Biglaw?

Postby Gitaroo_Dude » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:38 pm

Probably as poor a shot as Tulane would give you.

OP, I think you need to do some serious self-reflection and ask yourself why you're pursuing law school. Your goal seems to be NYC biglaw, but the schools you're asking about give off the impression you either want to have fun for three years (well, Tulane at least, not so much 'Nova) or that you're not willing to get the LSAT score necessary to secure a decent shot at NYC biglaw.

User avatar
Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver
Posts: 1222
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:55 pm

Re: Villanova For NYC Biglaw?

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:49 pm

Gitaroo_Dude wrote:Probably as poor a shot as Tulane would give you.

OP, I think you need to do some serious self-reflection and ask yourself why you're pursuing law school. Your goal seems to be NYC biglaw, but the schools you're asking about give off the impression you either want to have fun for three years (well, Tulane at least, not so much 'Nova) or that you're not willing to get the LSAT score necessary to secure a decent shot at NYC biglaw.


OP was the Tulane guy...? jeezus.

User avatar
greatspirit

Bronze
Posts: 169
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:26 pm

Re: Villanova For NYC Biglaw?

Postby greatspirit » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:37 pm

dm1683 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:No realistic chance of biglaw from Villanova, especially in NYC. But you'd know that from looking at the employment reports. So it seems like you're really just looking for people to validate your decision to not shoot for schools that actually give you a shot at biglaw.


trebekismyhero wrote:If you want big law in NYC you need to go to a t14. Vandy, Fordham, probably UT and WUSTL will give you a shot, but not to the point that it is worth going to those schools if big law is your ultimate goal.


Harsh but true. OP, your options are limited. Fordham is a good choice with a good scholarship ( > half tuition). I would shoot an app to Cornell, but if you got in you'd probably be at sticker, which is not good.

Maybe try Cardozo? They should give you a full ride if you got into Fordham. Other than that, yeah, Vanderbilt, Emory, BU, ND, GWU, WUSTL etc. are your best bets. Don't go to any of these at sticker though.

If you go to any of these schools except Cornell you have to be comfortable with the possibility (and in some cases, probability) of not landing biglaw.

HTH.


Thank you for the informative, and non-condescending answer.

User avatar
greatspirit

Bronze
Posts: 169
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:26 pm

Re: Villanova For NYC Biglaw?

Postby greatspirit » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:38 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:
greatspirit wrote:Looking for five non-T14 schools to apply to, that give me a fair shot at NYC biglaw. So far have Fordham as a definite.

Thoughts on Villanova for NYC Biglaw?


The answer to your question all depends on what you consider a "fair shot" at NYC BL. Fordham gives you about a 1/3 chance at BL, the next best schools in NY would be Cardozo and Brooklyn which gives you about a 1/6 at worst to a 1/4 chance of getting BL at best. If you aren't BL or bust but are open to the idea(honestly you probably should be open to multiple practice areas going into law school, it aggravates me t no end seeing people telling 0L's that they should know exactly what kind of law they want going into LS when they don't know anything about the various practice areas)Same odds at SJU but they give out almost exclusively bad conditional scholarships. Outside of those 7 schools there really is nowhere in NY worth attending law school at for people who want BL. Outside of the T14 or NYC T's and TT's though no school will give you more than a lottery chance at BL in NYC(5-10% at best). Also applying late has probably hurt you a bit in regards to the scholly money you will receive.

I try to be more optimistic than most on here but yeah you have next to no chance of getting NYC BL from Villanova. Villanova should only be a school you apply to if you want to work and live in PA.



Thank you the informative, and non-condescending answer.

timbs4339

Gold
Posts: 2764
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:19 pm

Re: Villanova For NYC Biglaw?

Postby timbs4339 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:46 pm

Texas, Vandy, Emory, USC, Fordham.

User avatar
URMSenator52

New
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:50 am

Re: Villanova For NYC Biglaw?

Postby URMSenator52 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:00 pm

timbs4339 wrote:Texas, Vandy, Emory, USC, Fordham.



Lol no chance of NYC big law with any of the underlined above. Your best chances for NY big law outside the T14. Are GW,Cardozo,St.Johns,Brooklyn,American,Fordham.

To have a good chance at NY Big Law, you should at the very least go to school on the east coast/DMV area. Temple and Nova are good for Philly big law. Since all the Penn Grads also flock to NY,with Cornelly,NYU and CLS. With a few H grads too, NYC Big Law market is saturated with T-14 Schools.

User avatar
Future Ex-Engineer

Silver
Posts: 1429
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:20 pm

Re: Villanova For NYC Biglaw?

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:07 pm

URMSenator52 wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:Texas, Vandy, Emory, USC, Fordham.



Lol no chance of NYC big law with any of the underlined above. Your best chances for NY big law outside the T14. Are GW,Cardozo,St.Johns,Brooklyn,American,Fordham.

To have a good chance at NY Big Law, you should at the very least go to school on the east coast/DMV area. Temple and Nova are good for Philly big law. Since all the Penn Grads also flock to NY,with Cornelly,NYU and CLS. With a few H grads too, NYC Big Law market is saturated with T-14 Schools.


You do realize that there's definitely a shot at NYC BL from Vandy right? Not as good as T14, but still not terrible

User avatar
URMSenator52

New
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:50 am

Re: Villanova For NYC Biglaw?

Postby URMSenator52 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:16 pm

mrgstephe wrote:
URMSenator52 wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:Texas, Vandy, Emory, USC, Fordham.



Lol no chance of NYC big law with any of the underlined above. Your best chances for NY big law outside the T14. Are GW,Cardozo,St.Johns,Brooklyn,American,Fordham.

To have a good chance at NY Big Law, you should at the very least go to school on the east coast/DMV area. Temple and Nova are good for Philly big law. Since all the Penn Grads also flock to NY,with Cornelly,NYU and CLS. With a few H grads too, NYC Big Law market is saturated with T-14 Schools.


You do realize that there's definitely a shot at NYC BL from Vandy right? Not as good as T14, but still not terrible


A shot meaning an OCI bid? Yes with not a very big shot getting an SA position. Vandy and Texas law market is in the south. Primarily in the Texas,Florida,Tennessee,Mississippi areas lol. Definitely a higher chance of southern big law lol...

Winter is Coming

Bronze
Posts: 404
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:51 am

Re: Villanova For NYC Biglaw?

Postby Winter is Coming » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:20 pm

URMSenator52 wrote:
mrgstephe wrote:
URMSenator52 wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:Texas, Vandy, Emory, USC, Fordham.



Lol no chance of NYC big law with any of the underlined above. Your best chances for NY big law outside the T14. Are GW,Cardozo,St.Johns,Brooklyn,American,Fordham.

To have a good chance at NY Big Law, you should at the very least go to school on the east coast/DMV area. Temple and Nova are good for Philly big law. Since all the Penn Grads also flock to NY,with Cornelly,NYU and CLS. With a few H grads too, NYC Big Law market is saturated with T-14 Schools.


You do realize that there's definitely a shot at NYC BL from Vandy right? Not as good as T14, but still not terrible


A shot meaning an OCI bid,yes with not a very big shot getting an SA position. Vandy and Texas grad market is in the south. Primarily in the Texas,Florida,Tennessee,Mississippi areas lol. Definitely a higher chance of southern big law lol...


Vandy is not the best idea for NYC Biglaw, but "an OCI bid" is an exaggeration. Especially because Southern markets are smaller, there's a good amount of people from Vandy where NYC is their best option.

User avatar
Future Ex-Engineer

Silver
Posts: 1429
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:20 pm

Re: Villanova For NYC Biglaw?

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:29 pm

Winter is Coming wrote:
URMSenator52 wrote:
mrgstephe wrote:
URMSenator52 wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:Texas, Vandy, Emory, USC, Fordham.



Lol no chance of NYC big law with any of the underlined above. Your best chances for NY big law outside the T14. Are GW,Cardozo,St.Johns,Brooklyn,American,Fordham.

To have a good chance at NY Big Law, you should at the very least go to school on the east coast/DMV area. Temple and Nova are good for Philly big law. Since all the Penn Grads also flock to NY,with Cornelly,NYU and CLS. With a few H grads too, NYC Big Law market is saturated with T-14 Schools.


You do realize that there's definitely a shot at NYC BL from Vandy right? Not as good as T14, but still not terrible


A shot meaning an OCI bid,yes with not a very big shot getting an SA position. Vandy and Texas grad market is in the south. Primarily in the Texas,Florida,Tennessee,Mississippi areas lol. Definitely a higher chance of southern big law lol...


Vandy is not the best idea for NYC Biglaw, but "an OCI bid" is an exaggeration. Especially because Southern markets are smaller, there's a good amount of people from Vandy where NYC is their best option.


Exactly what I said. Having read URM's most recent activity, they seem to not be super well informed.

cavalier1138

Gold
Posts: 4954
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: Villanova For NYC Biglaw?

Postby cavalier1138 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:29 pm

URMSenator52 wrote:
mrgstephe wrote:
URMSenator52 wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:Texas, Vandy, Emory, USC, Fordham.



Lol no chance of NYC big law with any of the underlined above. Your best chances for NY big law outside the T14. Are GW,Cardozo,St.Johns,Brooklyn,American,Fordham.

To have a good chance at NY Big Law, you should at the very least go to school on the east coast/DMV area. Temple and Nova are good for Philly big law. Since all the Penn Grads also flock to NY,with Cornelly,NYU and CLS. With a few H grads too, NYC Big Law market is saturated with T-14 Schools.


You do realize that there's definitely a shot at NYC BL from Vandy right? Not as good as T14, but still not terrible


A shot meaning an OCI bid? Yes with not a very big shot getting an SA position. Vandy and Texas law market is in the south. Primarily in the Texas,Florida,Tennessee,Mississippi areas lol. Definitely a higher chance of southern big law lol...


No. Just... no.

Yes, Vanderbilt has more of a presence in the South. No, St. John's is not a better school for NY biglaw than Vanderbilt. I mean, seriously? You're ranking Saint John's, Brooklyn, and American more favorably than Vanderbilt? Are you high?

User avatar
Future Ex-Engineer

Silver
Posts: 1429
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:20 pm

Re: Villanova For NYC Biglaw?

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:31 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
URMSenator52 wrote:
mrgstephe wrote:
URMSenator52 wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:Texas, Vandy, Emory, USC, Fordham.



Lol no chance of NYC big law with any of the underlined above. Your best chances for NY big law outside the T14. Are GW,Cardozo,St.Johns,Brooklyn,American,Fordham.

To have a good chance at NY Big Law, you should at the very least go to school on the east coast/DMV area. Temple and Nova are good for Philly big law. Since all the Penn Grads also flock to NY,with Cornelly,NYU and CLS. With a few H grads too, NYC Big Law market is saturated with T-14 Schools.


You do realize that there's definitely a shot at NYC BL from Vandy right? Not as good as T14, but still not terrible


A shot meaning an OCI bid? Yes with not a very big shot getting an SA position. Vandy and Texas law market is in the south. Primarily in the Texas,Florida,Tennessee,Mississippi areas lol. Definitely a higher chance of southern big law lol...


No. Just... no.

Yes, Vanderbilt has more of a presence in the South. No, St. John's is not a better school for NY biglaw than Vanderbilt. I mean, seriously? You're ranking Saint John's, Brooklyn, and American more favorably than Vanderbilt? Are you high?


I think maybe just dumb. They also recently made the claim that GULC's OCI is unequivocally better than H/S.
They also asked if there was a Walmart within a reasonable distance from Howard.

User avatar
URMSenator52

New
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:50 am

Re: Villanova For NYC Biglaw?

Postby URMSenator52 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:38 pm

mrgstephe wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
URMSenator52 wrote:
mrgstephe wrote:
URMSenator52 wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:Texas, Vandy, Emory, USC, Fordham.



Lol no chance of NYC big law with any of the underlined above. Your best chances for NY big law outside the T14. Are GW,Cardozo,St.Johns,Brooklyn,American,Fordham.

To have a good chance at NY Big Law, you should at the very least go to school on the east coast/DMV area. Temple and Nova are good for Philly big law. Since all the Penn Grads also flock to NY,with Cornelly,NYU and CLS. With a few H grads too, NYC Big Law market is saturated with T-14 Schools.


You do realize that there's definitely a shot at NYC BL from Vandy right? Not as good as T14, but still not terrible


A shot meaning an OCI bid? Yes with not a very big shot getting an SA position. Vandy and Texas law market is in the south. Primarily in the Texas,Florida,Tennessee,Mississippi areas lol. Definitely a higher chance of southern big law lol...


No. Just... no.

Yes, Vanderbilt has more of a presence in the South. No, St. John's is not a better school for NY biglaw than Vanderbilt. I mean, seriously? You're ranking Saint John's, Brooklyn, and American more favorably than Vanderbilt? Are you high?


I think maybe just dumb. They also recently made the claim that GULC's OCI is unequivocally better than H/S.
They also asked if there was a Walmart within a reasonable distance from Howard.


All reasonable questions but in location value yes ST.Johns/American/Dozo/Brooklyn >> Vandy Candy. GULC in location value >>> H/S. Maybe your just a basic southern gent. That can hang out East?

cavalier1138

Gold
Posts: 4954
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: Villanova For NYC Biglaw?

Postby cavalier1138 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:40 pm

URMSenator52 wrote:All reasonable questions but in location value yes ST.Johns/American/Dozo/Brooklyn >> Vandy Candy. GULC in location value >>> H/S. Maybe your just a basic southern gent. That can hang out East?


If you're going to troll, at least try to be a credible troll. No one is this objectively stupid.



Return to “Choosing a Law School�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: trmckenz and 18 guests