Negotiating Acceptance, Then Negotiating Scholarship

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Hennessy

Gold

Negotiating Acceptance, Then Negotiating Scholarship

Postby Hennessy » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:45 pm

Last edited by Hennessy on Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

floatie

Silver

Re: Negotiating Acceptance, Then Negotiating Scholarship

Postby floatie » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:58 pm

First off - although rankings are largely meaningless, I'm not sure what would cause a T25 school to accept you and a 50ish school to WL you. Were there any issues with your application? Also - without knowing what schools you're actually talking about and what your long term goals are, it's hard to give you good advice.

I'm going to go against the TLS grain and say that you probably should not retake, since your LSAT is already > 75 for all of your schools in question. If you truly put in your best effort last June and even with your best effort did not score above a 168, I'm not sure that another 4 months of effort (again, assuming that you put in your BEST effort and REALLY studied the RIGHT way) will make much of a difference. Only you can answer whether or not there is much more you can do to improve.

Wait and see what kind of scholarship your #22 offers you. Unless your GPA is below a 3.0, a 167 should be getting you some kind of scholarship at a T25 school.

As far as getting into your WL'ed school, I wouldn't suggest "negotiating" your way in by saying where else you've been accepted. They know and will expect you to put down a deposit elsewhere. You need to demonstrate that you WANT to go to that school. Write a LOCI, visit the school and try and talk to an admissions person, and after the first round of seat deposits, continue to update the admissions office about your interest in the school.

IF you are accepted, you can try and negotiate scholarship money from the #50 with the #22, but don't expect it to work. At that point in time, the school might have given away all of their scholarship money. I don't think your scholarships at 140 and 110 will help much in negotiations.

Hennessy

Gold

Postby Hennessy » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:49 pm

Last edited by Hennessy on Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

floatie

Silver

Postby floatie » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:55 pm

HennessyVSOP wrote:Clarifiers:
Trying to be a little inconspicuous about schools.

I don't know why this happened. It doesn't make sense to me actually - My LSAT was highly competitive, although my GPA wasn't. I have multiple alumni family members. I was expecting to get in and struggle for scholarships, not to just get WL'd.

I'm pretty much outing myself by posting any numbers, but my GPA is sub-3.0. This could be one reason. Others issues could be 2 small reported C&F issues (traffic ticket and 1 semester threatened academic probation) or the fact that I didn't write the "Why X" essay for my top school?

My long-term goals are public interest (especially PD) or local govt. work in small city that school #50 and #144 are in.

OK - just note that the anonymity is going to limit the usefulness of any advice you'll get.

I would get moving on the LOCI, and definitely do anything else possible to establish your interest. My gut feeling is that your top choice felt you viewed them as a safety and went with a YP waitlist.

If you can't get off the waitlist, then depending on what the #22 is, I'd do your best to get $$ from them and then gun for your home market. Otherwise, take the full ride at whichever school has more promising employment statistics (difficult to determine with rankings that low, though).

tncats

Bronze

Postby tncats » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:06 pm

hey Hennessy, I sent you a PM

Hennessy

Gold

Postby Hennessy » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:35 pm

Return to “Choosing a Law School�