Duke vs. Wait it Out

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
tinycatfriend

Bronze
Posts: 197
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:06 pm

Duke vs. Wait it Out

Postby tinycatfriend » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:21 pm

Hello,

I'm still waiting on (many) answers in my cycle, but right now I've been admitted to Duke. I want to stay in NYC - my partner lives there, and he's unlikely to move soon, and honestly, I love the city. I'm debating between going to Duke, riding out 3 years of LD, and then moving back, or retaking + reapplying next year - the catch is that I'd need to find a job to keep me occupied for the year

The third option is transferring... any advice?

User avatar
Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver
Posts: 1225
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:55 pm

Re: Duke vs. Wait it Out

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:26 pm

tinycatfriend wrote:Hello,

I'm still waiting on (many) answers in my cycle, but right now I've been admitted to Duke. I want to stay in NYC - my partner lives there, and he's unlikely to move soon, and honestly, I love the city. I'm debating between going to Duke, riding out 3 years of LD, and then moving back, or retaking + reapplying next year - the catch is that I'd need to find a job to keep me occupied for the year

The third option is transferring... any advice?


Huh? Forgive me if I'm missing something but I have no idea what you're asking...

First of all, you didn't even hear back from everywhere so I don't get why you're deciding between Duke and Reapplying already.

Second, you didn't give any information whatsoever...did you receive money from Duke? What are your numbers? Because that's kind of important if you want advice on whether to go to Duke or not.

Third, if you're wondering "should I go to Duke or Reapply", then why even apply to Duke in the first place haha

tinycatfriend

Bronze
Posts: 197
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:06 pm

Re: Duke vs. Wait it Out

Postby tinycatfriend » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:27 pm

Numbers are 169, 3.6... I applied to Duke mostly because I wanted an answer early, but since I applied in November to most schools, the dead silence is making me pretty sure on not getting admitted

User avatar
trebekismyhero

Silver
Posts: 810
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 5:26 pm

Re: Duke vs. Wait it Out

Postby trebekismyhero » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:38 pm

It is only February, relax. But if you want to stay in NYC for law school your numbers aren't ideal. You aren't going to get into Columbia and if you get into NYU it will be close to sticker. I would imagine you'll get into Cornell with at least some money, which might be better for you and your S/O than Duke.

Either way, it wouldn't be a bad idea to sign up and start studying for the June LSAT. A couple more points and you'll get a lot more $ from lower t14 and a much better chance at Columbia and NYU

User avatar
Thelaw23

Silver
Posts: 793
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:23 pm

Re: Duke vs. Wait it Out

Postby Thelaw23 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:42 pm

First of all - hope dies last. You don't know what's going to happen from now until April.

Second of all, I think this is a choice only you can make. How much do you not want to go to Duke? Are you dead set on not moving for law school?

One way of looking at it is that since you are thinking of working in NY after law school, this is a chance for you to have a new experience and live in a new place while reaching your goals and career trajectory. It's like killing two birds with one stone. Some people have to choose one or the other.

What if you don't get into either Duke nor the NY schools next cycle? That's also a risk.

User avatar
Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver
Posts: 1225
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:55 pm

Re: Duke vs. Wait it Out

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:49 pm

tinycatfriend wrote:Numbers are 169, 3.6... I applied to Duke mostly because I wanted an answer early, but since I applied in November to most schools, the dead silence is making me pretty sure on not getting admitted


Haha gotcha. Duke has solid numbers to place you into NY after law school, but i agree with what someone said earlier: you'll probably get into cornell (although they are being super weird this cycle) and I would throw in an app to GULC if you haven't already done so.

Also, if you want CLS or NYU you definitely should retake because I'm afraid your numbers right now will get you waitlisted at best. Good luck!

saf18hornet

Bronze
Posts: 314
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:21 pm

Re: Duke vs. Wait it Out

Postby saf18hornet » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:37 pm

tinycatfriend wrote:Numbers are 169, 3.6... I applied to Duke mostly because I wanted an answer early, but since I applied in November to most schools, the dead silence is making me pretty sure on not getting admitted


Even without a retake, applying next cycle on Sept 1st would get you accepted to at least 5 of the T8-T14. That's always an option. But a June retake could change your life too. (Edited due to typos from using my cell.)



Return to “Choosing a Law School�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 13 guests