ASU vs Minnesota Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Tomthecat

New

ASU vs Minnesota

Post by Tomthecat » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:56 pm

I really need some advices here, struggling between these two schools. Because both are regional schools, and my final decision would determine where I'm gonna practice. Both offer great followship. My goal after law school is to join a big patent law firm. I feel Minnesota might be better but a little scared about the weather (I'm from Texas...). Would appreciate your insights.

Pozzo

Gold

Re: ASU vs Minnesota

Post by Pozzo » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:04 pm

A couple thoughts. IP law is not my game, so someone with more knowledge can chime in, but as I understand it, you almost always need an advanced degree in the field you want to practice. Beyond that, both are definitely regional schools. I'd look at the firms/jobs in those locales to gauge opportunities and then look at how the schools place into those areas. I wouldn't let weather scare you from MN. Follow the opportunity and scholarship money. Neither of those schools justify inordinate debt.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Post by trebekismyhero » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:26 pm

Tomthecat wrote:I really need some advices here, struggling between these two schools. Because both are regional schools, and my final decision would determine where I'm gonna practice. Both offer great followship. My goal after law school is to join a big patent law firm. I feel Minnesota might be better but a little scared about the weather (I'm from Texas...). Would appreciate your insights.
Are you patent eligilble? If so, then you''ll have more flexibility. If not, then it will be really difficult to get a big patent law firm from either of these schools. If you're patent eligible and all else being equal, I would probably lean towards Minnesota, if not, then I think you really need to refocus on what you want to do.

Also, what is the COA for each school? As mentioned that should be the biggest factor

airwrecka

Silver

Post by airwrecka » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:42 pm

Don't let the Minnesota weather scare you! I did my undergrad there (and still live in the city) and you learn to deal. There is also a very extensive tunnel system on campus to minimize walking outside in the winter, and downtown Minneapolis is completely connected by skyways so you never have to go outside haha. Also, thanks to climate change, our winters have been VERY mild recently (it's going to be in the mid 50s and sunny this weekend). ;) Spring/summer/fall are all great here as well!

Tomthecat

New

Post by Tomthecat » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:15 pm

Thank you guys for your inputs. I think I have a better idea and not feel scared about the weather now :P

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

big_willy_style_333

Bronze

Post by big_willy_style_333 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:38 pm

Tomthecat wrote:Thank you guys for your inputs. I think I have a better idea and not feel scared about the weather now :P
Okay, I may get crushed for this but I'll play devil's advocate re: weather. I grew up in the southwest but came to the Midwest for undergrad. I really wish I had considered weather more when picking my undergrad, as most of my job opps after were in the Midwest and I ended up hating the winter. I have now been out here for about 7 years, and I am definitely excited to live in a warmer climate, whenever that ends up happening. Because both schools are regional and you would likely end up in MSP if you went to Minnesota, I would just advise you to consider whether weather (<- lol) will affect your happiness. It may or it may not, but I think it's a fair thing to consider.

TakeItToTrial

Bronze

Post by TakeItToTrial » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:47 pm

big_willy_style_333 wrote:
Tomthecat wrote:Thank you guys for your inputs. I think I have a better idea and not feel scared about the weather now :P
Okay, I may get crushed for this but I'll play devil's advocate re: weather. I grew up in the southwest but came to the Midwest for undergrad. I really wish I had considered weather more when picking my undergrad, as most of my job opps after were in the Midwest and I ended up hating the winter. I have now been out here for about 7 years, and I am definitely excited to live in a warmer climate, whenever that ends up happening. Because both schools are regional and you would likely end up in MSP if you went to Minnesota, I would just advise you to consider whether weather (<- lol) will affect your happiness. It may or it may not, but I think it's a fair thing to consider.
Second this. Chronic poor weather can have a pernicious effect on a person's mood/mental health. If you've previously lived in cold or rainy climates for long periods, then you might have an idea of how it will affect you. Everyone is different in this regard, but it's something to keep in mind.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:30 pm

airwrecka wrote:Don't let the Minnesota weather scare you! I did my undergrad there (and still live in the city) and you learn to deal. There is also a very extensive tunnel system on campus to minimize walking outside in the winter, and downtown Minneapolis is completely connected by skyways so you never have to go outside haha. Also, thanks to climate change, our winters have been VERY mild recently (it's going to be in the mid 50s and sunny this weekend). ;) Spring/summer/fall are all great here as well!
I wouldn't say fall and spring are "great" in the twin cities. There are like four beautiful months, two-ish okay month, and six or six and a half months of freezing cold. Your "spring" is like third week of april to end of may and your "fall" is like september and the first couple weeks of october.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:47 pm

We need the cost of attendance for each school.

airwrecka

Silver

Post by airwrecka » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:58 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
airwrecka wrote:Don't let the Minnesota weather scare you! I did my undergrad there (and still live in the city) and you learn to deal. There is also a very extensive tunnel system on campus to minimize walking outside in the winter, and downtown Minneapolis is completely connected by skyways so you never have to go outside haha. Also, thanks to climate change, our winters have been VERY mild recently (it's going to be in the mid 50s and sunny this weekend). ;) Spring/summer/fall are all great here as well!
I wouldn't say fall and spring are "great" in the twin cities. There are like four beautiful months, two-ish okay month, and six or six and a half months of freezing cold. Your "spring" is like third week of april to end of may and your "fall" is like september and the first couple weeks of october.
Do you live here/are you from the Midwest? I guess maybe I have a different perspective because I'm from Wisconsin so this weather is normal to me. And the past few years our winters HAVE been very mild so to say that it is freezing cold for six months is an exaggeration. It is going to be in the upper 50s for the next few days here and it's still February. It also stayed warm well into November. I for one also like having 4 seasons, but I guess that's not for everyone. There are plenty of fun winter activities to get involved in if you give them a chance though.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”