BU/ BC vs lower T-14 for Boston Specifically

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
laqueredup

Bronze

BU/ BC vs lower T-14 for Boston Specifically

Postby laqueredup » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:28 am

Last edited by laqueredup on Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

grades??

Silver

Re: BU/ BC vs lower T-14 for Boston Specifically

Postby grades?? » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:42 am

If you could be paying 0 at UVA or 60k+ for BU/BC, you pick UVA every single time.

smile0751

Bronze

Postby smile0751 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:52 am

Boston from UVA is absolutely possible. It's not a market a lot of peers focus on, but career services absolutely can help you get there. I go to UVA and will be going to Boston. PM me if you have any specific questions.
Last edited by smile0751 on Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sherms2015

New

Postby sherms2015 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:55 am

I go to GULC, and I can say that at OCI, interviewers from the Boston schools came from either T-14 or BC/BU. With several of the BC/BU grads, I mentioned that I faced a choice between BC/BU and GULC, with the desire to go back to Boston, and I chose GULC because it was a better school. None of them took offense, a few explicitly said that I made a good choice.

Point of this anecdote is basically: recruiters for biglaw in Boston will understand why you chose somewhere else. For other jobs in the area, leaving severely limits your options.

laqueredup

Bronze

Postby laqueredup » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:09 pm

Last edited by laqueredup on Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

RedPurpleBlue

Bronze

Postby RedPurpleBlue » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:24 pm

laqueredup wrote:
grades?? wrote:If you could be paying 0 at UVA or 60k+ for BU/BC, you pick UVA every single time.

Thanks for the quick feedback everyone. I'm hoping to leverage the full GI Bill/ YRP at UVA/GULC/NU into a similar offer from BU/BC before I make a decision. If they don't pony up it will make my choice a lot easier.

I'd say that if you have strong families ties and your SO is soon to work there, then you should pick UVA 100% of the time over BU/BC (EDIT: in this scenario when your UVA cost is $0. I would not be advising you to pick UVA at full price over BU/BC at scholarship). It'll get you into Boston with ties, and if you end up not wanting to move to Boston (life is unpredictable), then you'll have options in the south, New York, Chicago, and CA that would be much harder to obtain from BC/BU. Also, going to UVA gives you a lot more room to fall in your class and still achieve big law or an awesome public service outcome.

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:24 pm

UVA for no tuition is amazing. If your SO can only get a job in DC or something, then Georgetown.

Personally I'd be too worried with my safety net and desirable outcomes at BU/BC only half or a third of what they are at UVA.

favabeansoup

Bronze

Postby favabeansoup » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:41 am

grades?? wrote:If you could be paying 0 at UVA or 60k+ 0kfor BU/BC, you pick UVA every single time.

Fixed that for you

mariano283

New

Postby mariano283 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:12 am

The Big Law + Federal Clerkship placement data as listed on LST is as follows:

UVA: 70.3%
Georgetown: 44.1%
BC: 41.3%
BU: 34.7%

UVA for no tuition is an awesome deal and clearly presents the largest safety net of your options.

darrenbragg

New

Postby darrenbragg » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:19 pm

smile0751 wrote:Boston from UVA is absolutely possible. It's not a market a lot of peers focus on, but career services absolutely can help you get there. I go to UVA and will be going to Boston. PM me if you have any specific questions.

hi there...I'm sort of in the same boat as you--considering a t14 (Duke) outside of Boston but hope to end up there. Did you/will you do your 1L summer in Boston? Just worried about schlepping back and forth--don't want to be apart from my wife for a summer.

any info you can provide would be a huge help. Thank you so much.

laqueredup

Bronze

Postby laqueredup » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:30 pm

Update from the OP. Still in this situation, only now its between BU and Penn for IP law focused on Boston long term. SO and I are considering whether her taking a job and setting up house in NYC for the next few years and me getting a crash-pad in Philly during the week is doable for us during school (her opportunities in PA would be very limited).

I think I've come down to the realization that for IP specifically, I'd probably be fine at either school, but that Penn would certainly provide a much stronger safety net, and provide more options outside of IP if I become interested in another field. I'm still waiting to hear from NYU, and that would provide an even better option logistically.

Thank you all for the advice in this thread and elsewhere.

Return to “Choosing a Law School�