1L Full-time professor vs. Full-time attorney/part-time faculty

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
elev8tor

New

1L Full-time professor vs. Full-time attorney/part-time faculty

Postby elev8tor » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:26 pm

Some accredited ABA law schools have a veteran adjunct faculty member teach a 1L course versus a full-time professor teaching the same course. The adjunct faculty is a full-time practicing attorney who just teaches one class at the university.

Can an adjunct faculty who is a full-time attorney be an effective teacher (or less effective teacher) than a full-time law school professor who teaches the same course?

grades??

Silver

Re: 1L Full-time professor vs. Full-time attorney/part-time faculty

Postby grades?? » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:36 pm

Yes. My torts professor is one of the top trial attorneys in the country. I would take his class again 100/100 times and was much better than the standard law professor who never practiced class.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: 1L Full-time professor vs. Full-time attorney/part-time faculty

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:51 pm

Totally depends on the prof and the subject. I have had amazing and terrible profs and adjuncts. Some adjuncts have no idea how to teach, but then, so do some profs. And adjuncts do have practice experience to back up what they're talking about, which many profs don't. You'd have to find out from current students about specific professors.

Of course you won't get to choose your prof for 1L classes, you will get assigned to a section. And this isn't something on which to base a decision between schools. All law schools have full-time attorneys teach as adjuncts.

Return to “Choosing a Law School�