Suffolk University vs. New England Law

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
massappeal

New

Suffolk University vs. New England Law

Postby massappeal » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:16 pm

Suffolk University vs. New England Law, which prevails?

Ronan

Gold

Re: Suffolk University vs. New England Law

Postby Ronan » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:18 pm

Unemployment.

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:39 pm

Working as a barista.

It's a likely outcome from either school, so you might as well just get started now.

Ferrisjso

Gold

Postby Ferrisjso » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:11 pm

I'm not going to be as brutal as they were but at the end of the day these are not good schools. I guess Suffolk for free is okay(nice little local school) but New England? Hope to join the retake/reapply chorus but in your case if you didn't get into Suffolk for free or close to it, this just seems like a poor decision.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:42 am

Are you planning to attend part-time ? Eligible for employer reimbursement ? Can you transfer with your current federal gov't position ?

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:10 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Are you planning to attend part-time ? Eligible for employer reimbursement ? Can you transfer with your current federal gov't position ?

Doesn't matter, doesn't matter, and definitely doesn't matter.

There is no universe where either of these schools is a good option.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:28 pm

It matters to the OP. Are you aware of OP's situation ?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:36 pm

OP: If you can transfer locations with the federal government, and are willing to, then many part-time programs are within reach including GWU (part-time 25% LSAT is 152), Maryland (152) & Rutgers (151).

Since all you need is the degree for career advancement and you plan to stay with the federal government, if I understand your situation correctly, then Suffolk should suffice.

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:46 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:OP: If you can transfer locations with the federal government, and are willing to, then many part-time programs are within reach including GWU (part-time 25% LSAT is 152), Maryland (152) & Rutgers (151).

Since all you need is the degree for career advancement and you plan to stay with the federal government, if I understand your situation correctly, then Suffolk should suffice.

Why are we aiming for/looking at LSAT 25ths?

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:48 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:OP: If you can transfer locations with the federal government, and are willing to, then many part-time programs are within reach including GWU (part-time 25% LSAT is 152), Maryland (152) & Rutgers (151).

This is, bar none, the most absurd post I've read.

Why are you looking at the 25th percentile scores? Why are you reinforcing the beyond-idiotic idea that a JD is useful for career advancement in a non-legal field? And why, oh why, are you recommending Suffolk to anyone? It's like you're deliberately trying to wreck the OP's life.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:02 pm

OP's LSAT is a 149 & OP has stated in a past post or posts that a retake is out of the question. OP wrote that: "Retaking is not an option for me." Dec. 10,2016
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:04 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:OP's LSAT is a 149 & OP has stated in a past post or posts that a retake is out of the question.

Then the OP should not go to law school.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:06 pm

I agree, but the OP has dealt with that issue in another thread.

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:07 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:I agree, but the OP has dealt with that issue in another thread.

So if you agree he shouldn't go to law school, why in the world are you giving him further advice on how to wreck his life? If you disagree with his decision to go, wouldn't it be more prudent to ignore his request for more information, if giving said information will help him in making a terrible choice?

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:08 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:I agree, but the OP has dealt with that issue in another thread.

Ok. Then the OP should not go to law school.

If the OP is going to be be an idiot, you are not required to give that your blessing. Going to either of these schools is financial and career suicide. Trying to find the "best" option for the OP out of these is irresponsible.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:09 pm

OP's is free to make his/her own decision. Lots of students attend, graduate & pass a state bar from these schools.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:09 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:OP's is free to make his/her own decision.

Are we just speaking in platitudes and axioms now?

Npret

Silver

Postby Npret » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:10 pm

I went to a conference at New England and the conference room has a nice view. I remember it also being easy to get to transit wise.

I think these schools are about the same.

Visit and go to whichever you like better or whichever is less expensive.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:13 pm

We don't know all of OP's situation. OP may be eligible for educational reimbursement for his/her part-time law school courses. OP already has a job & wants/needs the law degree for career advancement.

Npret

Silver

Postby Npret » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:13 pm

mrgstephe wrote:

So if you agree he shouldn't go to law school, why in the world are you giving him further advice on how to wreck his life? If you disagree with his decision to go, wouldn't it be more prudent to ignore his request for more information, if giving said information will help him in making a terrible choice?

What? OP can have the question answered without being shunned by people who want to dictate his life.

He's been advised not to go. I don't think shutting OP down from conversation benefits anyone.

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:16 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:We don't know all of OP's situation. OP may be eligible for educational reimbursement for his/her part-time law school courses. OP already has a job & wants/needs the law degree for career advancement.

Except anyone who understands the career market for JDs knows that a JD is not useful for non-legal career advancement. So the OP's desires (as I informed them quite some time ago) are misinformed. We also have no indication that the OP is eligible for reimbursement. If they are, they should still go to a real law school, and not the choices outlined here.

Npret wrote:What? OP can have the question answered without being shunned by people who want to dictate his life.

He's been advised not to go. I don't think shutting OP down from conversation benefits anyone.

Pandering to the OP doesn't help any outsiders reading this thread now (or in the future) who may think that these law schools are good life choices. This is a thread where someone is asking whether they should cut off their arm or their leg. The correct answer is "neither", not an elongated discussion about the relative worth of each limb.

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:18 pm

Npret wrote:
mrgstephe wrote:

What? OP can have the question answered without being shunned by people who want to dictate his life.

You didn't read what I said.

If someone disagrees with what OP is doing, they should not encourage him to continue on that path by providing further information to help them make a poor decision - that's irresponsible. I didn't say everyone should shun OP, or that he should be ostracized. If there are people that don't think he's making a poor decision, then sure, let them advise/help/whatever, but someone who has already said "don't do this" is being hypocritical by continuing to offer advice on the same trajectory.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:22 pm

Some posters get very emotional. I understand as these schools have very poor job placement. But the OP is a working adult & has the right to attend law school. OP doesn't need a job, just a degree for advancement within the federal government. I know many who did this with part-time online MBAs from for profit schools.

I only know one person who graduated New England Law School. She finished several years ago, sat for the bar in a UBE jurisdiction, passed for all 13 jurisdictions on her first try (now it's 27) & went to work as an attorney for a high tech company at a respectable salary. Still there. Her LSAT was in the very low 150s. Just one example.

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:30 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Some posters get very emotional. I understand as these schools have very poor job placement. But the OP is a working adult & has the right to attend law school. OP doesn't need a job, just a degree for advancement within the federal government. I know many who did this with part-time online MBAs from for profit schools.

I only know one person who graduated New England Law School. She finished several years ago, sat for the bar in a UBE jurisdiction, passed for all 13 jurisdictions on her first try (now it's 27) & went to work as an attorney for a high tech company at a respectable salary. Still there. Her LSAT was in the very low 150s. Just one example.

Yes, that's just one example. It means nothing compared to the thousands and thousands of examples of students from the same situations who ended up never working as lawyers.

Also, huge kudos for comparing a JD to an online MBA for career advancement.

Just stop. Please. You're going to ruin someone's life if they follow this path.

Ferrisjso

Gold

Postby Ferrisjso » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:40 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Some posters get very emotional. I understand as these schools have very poor job placement. But the OP is a working adult & has the right to attend law school. OP doesn't need a job, just a degree for advancement within the federal government. I know many who did this with part-time online MBAs from for profit schools.

This forum tends to be pessimistic but I've got to agree with Cavalier and company for once this is very misleading and destructive advice, especially if OP doesn't have full unconditional scholarships(and I'm going to guess they don't). No one should be making a decision to go to a TTT or TTTT based on anecdotal stories of people doing well, only if they get a boatload of money should it even be on the table. Even there your anecdotal story obscures important info like what you consider a "reasonable salary",how much debt she went into and what percentage of the class she was in to receive that outcome .

OP, the fact that said poster is promoting online MBA's from for profit schools should tell you all you need to know about this poster's advice!

Return to “Choosing a Law School�