G'town ($ticker) vs. GW ($80K) IPatent

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
TLSModBot

Diamond
Posts: 14838
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:54 am

Re: G'town ($ticker) vs. GW ($80K) IPatent

Postby TLSModBot » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:54 pm

1. Sit out this cycle. You will very rarely be in a worse position with the same exact stats. Schools understand how the game works and aren't going to ding you for not accepting this round. Scare tactics into applying ED is dumb advice.

2. Is retaking the LSAT an option for you? Do it if you're sitting out anyway; can't hurt!

3. Blanket at least the mid-T14 (I'd say Penn down at least, and higher if your scores/gpa warrant it), as well as Candy, GW, UCLA and others at or around GULC level. Doesn't matter if you'd never go there - the point is to accrue negotiating points. Every comparable or better school that lets you in (and with money, even better) is another tool in your arsenal to pry money out of the schools you do want to attend.

4. NO ED. Anywhere. Ever. Except maybe NU if they offer some financial aid (I don't know NU's policies there).

User avatar
S.Picquery

Silver
Posts: 598
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:39 pm

Re: G'town ($ticker) vs. GW ($80K) IPatent

Postby S.Picquery » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:56 pm

hokieExpress wrote:Sitting out is not too concerning, I was considering it for other reasons prior to scholarship being a concern. I understand this may be your advice but, at what price does G'town compete with GW's 80K scholarship.


TBF I think that 80K can be negotiated up (not this cycle with the ED, but next one), especially if you get $$ and acceptances from some of the other schools on your list. Going PT changes the game a bit, because you'll be working and therefore COL will be covered. I, personally, want to keep my debt at market avg or less upon repayment (I'm doing that balancing act and negotiating right now). But I'm not the most debt averse. You have to decide what debt load you're comfortable with. Six figures is no joke and will affect your career.

Also, I second what Capitol says about retaking. Consider it if you have the time.

hokieExpress

New
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:14 pm

Re: G'town ($ticker) vs. GW ($80K) IPatent

Postby hokieExpress » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:03 pm

S.Picquery wrote:
hokieExpress wrote:Sitting out is not too concerning, I was considering it for other reasons prior to scholarship being a concern. I understand this may be your advice but, at what price does G'town compete with GW's 80K scholarship.


TBF I think that 80K can be negotiated up (not this cycle with the ED, but next one), especially if you get $$ and acceptances from some of the other schools on your list. Going PT changes the game a bit, because you'll be working and therefore COL will be covered. I, personally, want to keep my debt at market avg or less upon repayment (I'm doing that balancing act and negotiating right now). But I'm not the most debt averse. You have to decide what debt load you're comfortable with. Six figures is no joke and will affect your career.

Also, I second what Capitol says about retaking. Consider it if you have the time.


Helpful. In the world of job interviews it's acceptable and maybe even expected to up your current salary 10-15%. Is the same true for LS negotiations to up the offer you might be leveraging?

Npret

Gold
Posts: 1525
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:42 am

Re: G'town ($ticker) vs. GW ($80K) IPatent

Postby Npret » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:06 pm

Capitol_Idea wrote:1. Sit out this cycle. You will very rarely be in a worse position with the same exact stats. Schools understand how the game works and aren't going to ding you for not accepting this round. Scare tactics into applying ED is dumb advice.

2. Is retaking the LSAT an option for you? Do it if you're sitting out anyway; can't hurt!

3. Blanket at least the mid-T14 (I'd say Penn down at least, and higher if your scores/gpa warrant it), as well as Candy, GW, UCLA and others at or around GULC level. Doesn't matter if you'd never go there - the point is to accrue negotiating points. Every comparable or better school that lets you in (and with money, even better) is another tool in your arsenal to pry money out of the schools you do want to attend.

4. NO ED. Anywhere. Ever. Except maybe NU if they offer some financial aid (I don't know NU's policies there).


I'm curious. Have you seen that there are no negatives to reapplying after being accepted ED ? I don't know either way. I have seen people who were accepted RD at other schools not be accepted when they apply the next year.

You are probably right that GULC won't hold it against OP, I just don't know the answer. I'm sure its always possible to explain that your circumstances changed.

User avatar
Easterbork

Bronze
Posts: 266
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:43 pm

Re: G'town ($ticker) vs. GW ($80K) IPatent

Postby Easterbork » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:07 pm

Ask gtown to consider you for a merit scholarship. You might be surprised.

User avatar
TLSModBot

Diamond
Posts: 14838
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:54 am

Re: G'town ($ticker) vs. GW ($80K) IPatent

Postby TLSModBot » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:15 pm

Npret wrote:
Capitol_Idea wrote:1. Sit out this cycle. You will very rarely be in a worse position with the same exact stats. Schools understand how the game works and aren't going to ding you for not accepting this round. Scare tactics into applying ED is dumb advice.

2. Is retaking the LSAT an option for you? Do it if you're sitting out anyway; can't hurt!

3. Blanket at least the mid-T14 (I'd say Penn down at least, and higher if your scores/gpa warrant it), as well as Candy, GW, UCLA and others at or around GULC level. Doesn't matter if you'd never go there - the point is to accrue negotiating points. Every comparable or better school that lets you in (and with money, even better) is another tool in your arsenal to pry money out of the schools you do want to attend.

4. NO ED. Anywhere. Ever. Except maybe NU if they offer some financial aid (I don't know NU's policies there).


I'm curious. Have you seen that there are no negatives to reapplying after being accepted ED ? I don't know either way. I have seen people who were accepted RD at other schools not be accepted when they apply the next year.

You are probably right that GULC won't hold it against OP, I just don't know the answer. I'm sure its always possible to explain that your circumstances changed.

Use the search function here. There are countless stories of people sitting out and reapplying and getting same or better deals. Unless you're doing this 3 years or more in a row they're not going to doubt your sincerity to law school and they don't give a shit about you unless you've done something egregious to signal that you'll be an unhirable unprofessional douche.

You are a number to them, not a person. They care, in order, your LSAT/GPA and how much money they can wring out of you. End.

User avatar
S.Picquery

Silver
Posts: 598
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:39 pm

Re: G'town ($ticker) vs. GW ($80K) IPatent

Postby S.Picquery » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:18 pm

hokieExpress wrote:Helpful. In the world of job interviews it's acceptable and maybe even expected to up your current salary 10-15%. Is the same true for LS negotiations to up the offer you might be leveraging?


The problem with attempting this right now is that GTown has no incentive either way. You should still definitely try, though. But, to them they already have you as a definite because you applied ED. But, yeah, asking them to match makes sense. Asking them to increase is trickier, though. GW is simply not a peer school to GTown, and they know that.

And, again, parroting what Capitol said, you are a number to them. You can ask and try to negotiate. But, if it's unsatisfactory, just try again next year.

User avatar
Thelaw23

Silver
Posts: 793
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:23 pm

Re: G'town ($ticker) vs. GW ($80K) IPatent

Postby Thelaw23 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:21 pm

This is all really premature considering the fact that GULC didn't even start offering merit scholarships yet.

cavalier1138

Platinum
Posts: 5082
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: G'town ($ticker) vs. GW ($80K) IPatent

Postby cavalier1138 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:25 pm

Thelaw23 wrote:This is all really premature considering the fact that GULC didn't even start offering merit scholarships yet.


Not really. ED applicants in general don't get merit aid, and my understanding of GULC's program is that ED applicants actually agree to no merit aid as part of the process.

User avatar
TLSModBot

Diamond
Posts: 14838
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:54 am

Re: G'town ($ticker) vs. GW ($80K) IPatent

Postby TLSModBot » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:27 pm

Thelaw23 wrote:This is all really premature considering the fact that GULC didn't even start offering merit scholarships yet.

It's premature for OP to act, sure, but if you think GULC out of the goodness of their hearts will randomly give an ED student money then lol

User avatar
Thelaw23

Silver
Posts: 793
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:23 pm

Re: G'town ($ticker) vs. GW ($80K) IPatent

Postby Thelaw23 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:32 pm

That's brutal. I remember during my interview with CLS the adcom asked me why I didn't apply ED. I told them I couldn't due to the financial aspect of it, and she stressed that applying ED doesn't affect the scholarships you receive.

I sort of regret not ED'ing since it's looking like a WL there for me.


Though I can definitely see how there's no incentive to give you scholarship when you ED. Especially with GULC known to be so stingy.

User avatar
lymenheimer

Gold
Posts: 3979
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:54 am

Re: G'town ($ticker) vs. GW ($80K) IPatent

Postby lymenheimer » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:42 pm

Not sure if OP has even been accepted yet to GULC

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=271165&p=9784158#p9784158

User avatar
floatie

Silver
Posts: 591
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:39 pm

Re: G'town ($ticker) vs. GW ($80K) IPatent

Postby floatie » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:45 pm

Thelaw23 wrote: she stressed that applying ED doesn't affect the scholarships you receive.


That is not the case at every school, and particularly not at GULC.

cavalier1138

Platinum
Posts: 5082
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: G'town ($ticker) vs. GW ($80K) IPatent

Postby cavalier1138 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:47 pm

floatie wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote: she stressed that applying ED doesn't affect the scholarships you receive.


That is not the case at every school, and particularly not at GULC.


It's also entirely possible that the adcomm was just flat-out lying. Why on earth wouldn't an ED acceptance affect scholarships?

User avatar
usn26

Silver
Posts: 989
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: G'town ($ticker) vs. GW ($80K) IPatent

Postby usn26 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:50 pm

lymenheimer wrote:Not sure if OP has even been accepted yet to GULC

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=271165&p=9784158#p9784158


In that case s/he should pull out (or at least switch to RD) immediately.

User avatar
Easterbork

Bronze
Posts: 266
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:43 pm

Re: G'town ($ticker) vs. GW ($80K) IPatent

Postby Easterbork » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:06 pm

Capitol_Idea wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:This is all really premature considering the fact that GULC didn't even start offering merit scholarships yet.

It's premature for OP to act, sure, but if you think GULC out of the goodness of their hearts will randomly give an ED student money then lol


I don't know about the goodness of their hearts, but anecdotally I do know that gulc will give scholly $$ to EDers. Whether it is equal or not, I don't know. Either way OP should ask and see what happens

Npret

Gold
Posts: 1525
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:42 am

Re: G'town ($ticker) vs. GW ($80K) IPatent

Postby Npret » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:50 pm

Capitol_Idea wrote:
Npret wrote:
Capitol_Idea wrote:1. Sit out this cycle. You will very rarely be in a worse position with the same exact stats. Schools understand how the game works and aren't going to ding you for not accepting this round. Scare tactics into applying ED is dumb advice.

2. Is retaking the LSAT an option for you? Do it if you're sitting out anyway; can't hurt!

3. Blanket at least the mid-T14 (I'd say Penn down at least, and higher if your scores/gpa warrant it), as well as Candy, GW, UCLA and others at or around GULC level. Doesn't matter if you'd never go there - the point is to accrue negotiating points. Every comparable or better school that lets you in (and with money, even better) is another tool in your arsenal to pry money out of the schools you do want to attend.

4. NO ED. Anywhere. Ever. Except maybe NU if they offer some financial aid (I don't know NU's policies there).


I'm curious. Have you seen that there are no negatives to reapplying after being accepted ED ? I don't know either way. I have seen people who were accepted RD at other schools not be accepted when they apply the next year.

You are probably right that GULC won't hold it against OP, I just don't know the answer. I'm sure its always possible to explain that your circumstances changed.

Use the search function here. There are countless stories of people sitting out and reapplying and getting same or better deals. Unless you're doing this 3 years or more in a row they're not going to doubt your sincerity to law school and they don't give a shit about you unless you've done something egregious to signal that you'll be an unhirable unprofessional douche.

You are a number to them, not a person. They care, in order, your LSAT/GPA and how much money they can wring out of you. End.


I was specifically asking about revoking ED acceptance.
It shouldn't matter anyway as OP should ask to be considered RD at this point.



Return to “Choosing a Law School�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests