G'town ($ticker) vs. GW ($80K) IPatent

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
hokieExpress

New

G'town ($ticker) vs. GW ($80K) IPatent

Postby hokieExpress » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:09 am

Georgetown at full price vs. GW with an $80,000 spread over 4-years (doing part-time while working)

Looking to do patent/IP in DC

TLSModBot

Diamond

Re: G'town ($ticker) vs. GW ($80K) IPatent

Postby TLSModBot » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:22 am

Never GULC at full price.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:27 am

floatie

Silver

Postby floatie » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:39 am

usn26

Silver

Postby usn26 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:55 am

Give us more complete numbers.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:01 pm

what are your stats?

either way, GTown is not worth sticker

hokieExpress

New

Postby hokieExpress » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:17 pm

usn26 wrote:Give us more complete numbers.

Not quite sure what additional numbers to give but I'll give it a shot.

GW is offering $80K total, spread out over 4 years (since I am doing PT) applied regular decision

Georgetown is offering 0 dollars applied ED

LSAT-168 GPA-2.8 URM

acr

Silver

Postby acr » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:20 pm

Never GULC at full price

S.Picquery

Silver

Postby S.Picquery » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:21 pm

hokieExpress wrote:Georgetown is offering 0 dollars applied ED

If you applied ED, it's binding.

ETA: Why would you apply to GTown ED?!

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:23 pm

hokieExpress wrote:
usn26 wrote:Give us more complete numbers.

Not quite sure what additional numbers to give but I'll give it a shot.

GW is offering $80K total, spread out over 4 years (since I am doing PT) applied regular decision

Georgetown is offering 0 dollars applied ED

LSAT-168 GPA-2.8 URM

ED is binding and if they're giving you no money, either way you can't go to GW this fall. You're going to either have to go to GT, which at sticker price is really not a great idea, or wait until next cycle.

hokieExpress

New

Postby hokieExpress » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:24 pm

S.Picquery wrote:

Got bad advice to apply ED with the justification that it would increase my odds of getting in.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Postby TLSModBot » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:26 pm

Your last ditch effort is to tell them either to give you some money or you'll sit out and play another cycle.

Never ever ever do ED again.

Npret

Silver

Postby Npret » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:28 pm

hokieExpress wrote:
S.Picquery wrote:

Got bad advice to apply ED with the justification that it would increase my odds of getting in.

It may have increased your odds but if you go anywhere this year it will have to be GULC. If you are fully debt financing your COA, according to LST, you will owe $320,000 at repayment.
This is a bad plan and you shouldn't do it.
So you should make another plan for applying next year.
Last edited by Npret on Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hokieExpress

New

Postby hokieExpress » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:28 pm

Capitol_Idea wrote:Your last ditch effort is to tell them either to give you some money or you'll sit out and play another cycle.

Likely what I'll do, what is your take on when to apply ED?

S.Picquery

Silver

Postby S.Picquery » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:29 pm

hokieExpress wrote:Got bad advice to apply ED with the justification that it would increase my odds of getting in.

Your odds were fine to get in (not great, but fine). If they don't up your scholarship, consider sitting out a cycle and apply early on in September to give yourself a better shot. Unless you're willing to go sticker at a school with not-the-best LST/employment rating, I highly recommend you take the waiting option.

Npret

Silver

Postby Npret » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:32 pm

Capitol_Idea wrote:Your last ditch effort is to tell them either to give you some money or you'll sit out and play another cycle.

True, but ask politely and professionally.
They could easily not want to give you money because that is the deal with the option of ED. You have nothing to lose by asking.

I don't know how EDing, being accepted and not attending will hurt you if you decide to reapply next year as RD. It certainly won't help. I wouldn't count on a GULC acceptance next year just because you got in this year. It could happen, but don't plan on it.

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:33 pm

hokieExpress wrote:

I'd say *only* ED at somewhere like Northwestern where you're guaranteed a nice scholarship if accepted through ED. Other places will essentially use it as a free pass to screw you on FinAid since you don't have any other options once they accept you ED.

S.Picquery

Silver

Postby S.Picquery » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:34 pm

Also, what are your goals? Are these the only schools you applied to? Are you def doing PT?

hokieExpress

New

Postby hokieExpress » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:35 pm

S.Picquery wrote:
hokieExpress wrote:Got bad advice to apply ED with the justification that it would increase my odds of getting in.

Your odds were fine to get in (not great, but fine). If they don't up your scholarship, consider sitting out a cycle and apply early on in September to give yourself a better shot. Unless you're willing to go sticker at a school with not-the-best LST/employment rating, I highly recommend you take the waiting option.

Waiting a cycle is not out of the question. If you don't attend G'town how do they bar you from going elsewhere? (Not really considering doing so, but curious on how that works)

Npret

Silver

Postby Npret » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:36 pm

hokieExpress wrote:
S.Picquery wrote:

Waiting a cycle is not out of the question. If you don't attend G'town how do they bar you from going elsewhere? (Not really considering doing so, but curious on how that works)

They don't bar you. Other schools can see you were accepted ED and won't take you.

Npret

Silver

Postby Npret » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:38 pm

mrgstephe wrote:
hokieExpress wrote:

I'd say *only* ED at somewhere like Northwestern where you're guaranteed a nice scholarship if accepted through ED. Other places will essentially use it as a free pass to screw you on FinAid since you don't have any other options once they accept you ED.

To be fair to the schools they are completely upfront about not applying ED if you will need financial aid. That's the deal you are making when you apply for a boost at getting accepted. This is GULC:

The Early Decision process is designed for those who have already researched their law school options and are certain that Georgetown Law is their first choice of schools. This process allows such applicants a means of expressing to the Admissions Committee their commitment to attend Georgetown, if admitted. Any candidate for whom receipt of institutional financial aid is a prerequisite for enrolling should not apply through the Early Decision process. Instead, candidates for whom receipt of institutional financial aid is a prerequisite for enrolling should apply Regular Decision.

hokieExpress

New

Postby hokieExpress » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:40 pm

S.Picquery wrote:Also, what are your goals? Are these the only schools you applied to? Are you def doing PT?

Goals:
Definitely want to do Patent law
Ideally work in DC for personal reasons, wouldn't mind doing LS elsewhere

Also applied to:
George Mason
UVA
PENN
BU
BC

Wouldn't say PT is the only option but makes good sense financially and allows me to get work experience.

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:43 pm

Npret wrote:
mrgstephe wrote:
hokieExpress wrote:

To be fair to the schools they are completely upfront about not applying ED if you will need financial aid. That's the deal you are making when you apply for a boost at getting accepted. This is GULC:

The Early Decision process is designed for those who have already researched their law school options and are certain that Georgetown Law is their first choice of schools. This process allows such applicants a means of expressing to the Admissions Committee their commitment to attend Georgetown, if admitted. Any candidate for whom receipt of institutional financial aid is a prerequisite for enrolling should not apply through the Early Decision process. Instead, candidates for whom receipt of institutional financial aid is a prerequisite for enrolling should apply Regular Decision.

Totally agree that they are very upfront about it, but still they screw you out of financial aid

S.Picquery

Silver

Postby S.Picquery » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:46 pm

hokieExpress wrote:
S.Picquery wrote:Also, what are your goals? Are these the only schools you applied to? Are you def doing PT?

Goals:

Also applied to:
George Mason
UVA
PENN
BU
BC

Wouldn't say PT is the only option but makes good sense financially and allows me to get work experience.

Yikes. Yeah, it seems like you were given poor advice. It is time to consider sitting out a cycle. I am of the opinion that no school is worth sticker (except *maybe* HYS depending on your goals), and GTown even more so.

hokieExpress

New

Postby hokieExpress » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:49 pm

S.Picquery wrote:
hokieExpress wrote:

Goals:

Also applied to:
George Mason
UVA
PENN
BU
BC

Yikes. Yeah, it seems like you were given poor advice. It is time to consider sitting out a cycle. I am of the opinion that no school is worth sticker (except *maybe* HYS depending on your goals), and GTown even more so.

Sitting out is not too concerning, I was considering it for other reasons prior to scholarship being a concern. I understand this may be your advice but, at what price does G'town compete with GW's 80K scholarship.

Return to “Choosing a Law School�