Emory for Atlanta market?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
brinicolec

Gold
Posts: 4479
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Emory for Atlanta market?

Postby brinicolec » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:16 am

Sorry if this has already been asked/this isn't the right place for this! I tried searching (maybe I didn't search the right things) and came up empty.

I was wondering if anyone would be able to give me a better idea of how Emory places in the Atlanta market? For example, is it a situation where most people from Emory who want Atlanta BL get Atlanta BL OR is it pretty tough (like top 10% of class or something get Atlanta BL, everyone else is generally doomed).

Basically, I'm wondering if anyone knows what the outcome looks like for Emory grads, especially if there's a huge discrepancy between the outcomes of top students vs. median students.

cavalier1138

Platinum
Posts: 5049
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: Emory for Atlanta market?

Postby cavalier1138 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:17 am

Biglaw is definitely not guaranteed at Emory. You still need to place in the to 20-25% of the class, so I wouldn't count on Atlanta biglaw at all. But in terms of generally placing in Atlanta, Emory's going to be one of the best schools for that if you don't already have strong ties to the area.

areyn22

New
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:21 pm

Re: Emory for Atlanta market?

Postby areyn22 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:16 pm

Emory and UGA both place pretty well into Atlanta as far as in-state schools go (though I'm not sure about Biglaw stats) although I imagine Emory has more national reach than UGA.

CanadianWolf

Diamond
Posts: 10722
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Emory for Atlanta market?

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:40 pm

Emory students take advantage of their location & "intern" at many Atlanta law firms. Same with Georgia State law students. Top 20%, maybe top 25%, at University of Georgia offers biglaw & many government opportunities. Regardless, lots of valuable connections for those attending this state's flagship law school.

User avatar
S.Picquery

Silver
Posts: 598
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:39 pm

Re: Emory for Atlanta market?

Postby S.Picquery » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:34 pm


User avatar
brinicolec

Gold
Posts: 4479
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: Emory for Atlanta market?

Postby brinicolec » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:09 am

S.Picquery wrote:This might be helpful: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=156536&start=675#p9784360


Lol I've subscribed to that thread and have read it and I still feel like it's all just kind of "Well for BL, ehhh... Maybe, maybe not. But for Atlanta in general? Definitely a good place to go!" I'm just hoping to get a better picture of what most Emory grads get into post-grad. job-wise.

User avatar
S.Picquery

Silver
Posts: 598
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:39 pm

Re: Emory for Atlanta market?

Postby S.Picquery » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:48 am

brinicolec wrote:
S.Picquery wrote:This might be helpful: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=156536&start=675#p9784360


Lol I've subscribed to that thread and have read it and I still feel like it's all just kind of "Well for BL, ehhh... Maybe, maybe not. But for Atlanta in general? Definitely a good place to go!" I'm just hoping to get a better picture of what most Emory grads get into post-grad. job-wise.


Are you going to ASW?

User avatar
brinicolec

Gold
Posts: 4479
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: Emory for Atlanta market?

Postby brinicolec » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:15 pm

S.Picquery wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
S.Picquery wrote:This might be helpful: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=156536&start=675#p9784360


Lol I've subscribed to that thread and have read it and I still feel like it's all just kind of "Well for BL, ehhh... Maybe, maybe not. But for Atlanta in general? Definitely a good place to go!" I'm just hoping to get a better picture of what most Emory grads get into post-grad. job-wise.


Are you going to ASW?


It clashes with another ASW, unfortunately, but I do plan on scheduling a visit, as well as spending some time in Atlanta.

BigZuck

Diamond
Posts: 11730
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Emory for Atlanta market?

Postby BigZuck » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:21 pm

brinicolec wrote:
S.Picquery wrote:This might be helpful: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 5#p9784360


Lol I've subscribed to that thread and have read it and I still feel like it's all just kind of "Well for BL, ehhh... Maybe, maybe not. But for Atlanta in general? Definitely a good place to go!" I'm just hoping to get a better picture of what most Emory grads get into post-grad. job-wise.

28 pages of discussion of the Atlanta market isn't enough?

Check out law school transparency. Ask for detailed data from the school itself (not just marketing/recruiting fluff if that's all they provide, real data).

User avatar
woodselle

New
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:16 am

Re: Emory for Atlanta market?

Postby woodselle » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:22 pm

Emory 2L here! From my experience/talking to classmates, the top 20% at Emory does well with Atlanta big law. There's a few things to note about Emory placement stats (which to be honest I don't even know what the actual numbers are): (1) not everyone wants big law, (2) not everyone wants Atlanta, and (3) the Atlanta big law market is relatively small. We don't have tons of big firms like NY or DC, and some of the big law firms have really small offices here (like Paul Hastings). That leads to small summer classes. So while maybe only the top 20% at Emory gets Atlanta big law, it's not to say that those firms don't want Emory students. Emory (or UGA for that matter) definitely will help establish ties, which firms really want here.

User avatar
brinicolec

Gold
Posts: 4479
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: Emory for Atlanta market?

Postby brinicolec » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:26 pm

woodselle wrote:Emory 2L here! From my experience/talking to classmates, the top 20% at Emory does well with Atlanta big law. There's a few things to note about Emory placement stats (which to be honest I don't even know what the actual numbers are): (1) not everyone wants big law, (2) not everyone wants Atlanta, and (3) the Atlanta big law market is relatively small. We don't have tons of big firms like NY or DC, and some of the big law firms have really small offices here (like Paul Hastings). That leads to small summer classes. So while maybe only the top 20% at Emory gets Atlanta big law, it's not to say that those firms don't want Emory students. Emory (or UGA for that matter) definitely will help establish ties, which firms really want here.


This was more along the lines of the kind of information I was hoping to get. Thank you! So you would say that some of the numbers is tied to self-selection? For those who don't want Atlanta, do they seem to have problems getting into other BL firms elsewhere (say... DC/NY?)? Also, what jobs does it seem like a lot of Emory grads tend to do post-grad?

User avatar
woodselle

New
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:16 am

Re: Emory for Atlanta market?

Postby woodselle » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:33 pm

brinicolec wrote:
woodselle wrote:Emory 2L here! From my experience/talking to classmates, the top 20% at Emory does well with Atlanta big law. There's a few things to note about Emory placement stats (which to be honest I don't even know what the actual numbers are): (1) not everyone wants big law, (2) not everyone wants Atlanta, and (3) the Atlanta big law market is relatively small. We don't have tons of big firms like NY or DC, and some of the big law firms have really small offices here (like Paul Hastings). That leads to small summer classes. So while maybe only the top 20% at Emory gets Atlanta big law, it's not to say that those firms don't want Emory students. Emory (or UGA for that matter) definitely will help establish ties, which firms really want here.


This was more along the lines of the kind of information I was hoping to get. Thank you! So you would say that some of the numbers is tied to self-selection? For those who don't want Atlanta, do they seem to have problems getting into other BL firms elsewhere (say... DC/NY?)? Also, what jobs does it seem like a lot of Emory grads tend to do post-grad?


Yeah, I would say the numbers are a combination of self-selection, reality of being a secondary market, and of course your performance does matter. You don't need to be #1 in your class, but being median at Emory isn't going to help you get into big law. I have several classmates who are going to DC and NY big law (more to NY than DC), and for the most part they tend to be top 10-15%. Those markets are more competitive and you're not coming from a T-14. But it's definitely possible if you put the work in.

As for what kinds of jobs Emory grads do post-grad, I think LST is probably your best option to get an accurate picture. https://www.lstreports.com/schools/emory/ABA/



Return to “Choosing a Law School�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests