Choose from Current Options or Sit Out a Cycle?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Charlie802

Bronze

Choose from Current Options or Sit Out a Cycle?

Postby Charlie802 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:30 pm

Stats: 155 and 3.74 GPA. 3 years law firm we and from a smaller western state. I want to pursue big law on the east coast.

Current offers:
W&L: 37.5k
Cardozo: 66k
St. John's: 120k

WL:
BC
GW

Out of my current options, I feel like my best bet for my goals is BC, but I am WL.

I am considering sitting out and retaking again depending on how the rest of my cycle plays out. I have taken the LSAT twice already (150 then 155), but I PT in the mid-high 160's. I am dreading the thought of waiting out a cycle and retaking, but I am really considering it right now... Any advice is appreciated.

BigZuck

Diamond

Re: Choose from Current Options or Sit Out a Cycle?

Postby BigZuck » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:34 pm

You can't go to any of those schools with a goal of getting a big law job. You're definitely going to need to retake.

AJordan

Bronze

Postby AJordan » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:35 pm

If that's where you're PTing it makes very little sense to attend this year. Take in June. If you even hit slightly below your medians and go 165 you're looking at completely different (much better) options with maybe even an outside chance at a T14 depending on other factors.

cavalier1138

Platinum

Postby cavalier1138 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:38 pm

A retake is your only viable option. Biglaw isn't happening from any of those schools.

usn26

Silver

Postby usn26 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:39 pm

Retake, absolutely. The sitting out seems bad, but you'll be working and getting paid, not suffering through 1L, and down the line end up at a place more likely to get you the job you want.

Charlie802

Bronze

Postby Charlie802 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:46 pm

usn26 wrote:Retake, absolutely. The sitting out seems bad, but you'll be working and getting paid, not suffering through 1L, and down the line end up at a place more likely to get you the job you want.

Well pretty clear consensus here and I have been putting a TON of thought into it and that is the way I am (regrettably) leaning right now.

Follow up question: Does it look bad to take a year off from law we? I moved to a state I am not a fan of for my job(which I love, but this state sucks), and want to move back as planned for summer even if I sit out a cycle. Does quitting on good terms look bad when I could technically stay and rough it out?

usn26

Silver

Postby usn26 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:56 pm

Charlie802 wrote:Follow up question: Does it look bad to take a year off from law we? I moved to a state I am not a fan of for my job(which I love, but this state sucks), and want to move back as planned for summer even if I sit out a cycle. Does quitting on good terms look bad when I could technically stay and rough it out?

I see no reason whatsoever why you need to be in "legal" job prior to law school.

Charlie802

Bronze

Postby Charlie802 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:16 pm

usn26 wrote:
Charlie802 wrote:Follow up question: Does it look bad to take a year off from law we? I moved to a state I am not a fan of for my job(which I love, but this state sucks), and want to move back as planned for summer even if I sit out a cycle. Does quitting on good terms look bad when I could technically stay and rough it out?

I see no reason whatsoever why you need to be in "legal" job prior to law school.

This makes me feel better. I feel really torn leaving, but I know I cannot stay here any longer than planned.

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:39 pm

Charlie802 wrote:
usn26 wrote:

This makes me feel better. I feel really torn leaving, but I know I cannot stay here any longer than planned.

Move and do what makes you happy. But absolutely do not view law school with your current LSAT as your only out.

You 1000000000% need to retake. Withdraw now and study hard for June.

Charlie802

Bronze

Postby Charlie802 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:43 pm

Rigo wrote:
Charlie802 wrote:
usn26 wrote:

Move and do what makes you happy. But absolutely do not view law school with your current LSAT as your only out.

You 1000000000% need to retake. Withdraw now and study hard for June.

Unfortunately (fortunately) I'll be on vacation during the June lsat so I can't retake until October, but I've come to terms with that one. I am debating if I withdraw or ride out the reach applications I have out. . .

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:46 pm

Charlie802 wrote:Unfortunately (fortunately) I'll be on vacation during the June lsat so I can't retake until October, but I've come to terms with that one. I am debating if I withdraw or ride out the reach applications I have out. . .

October is fine too.
Honestly your reaches suck as options too (if you're talking about where youve been waitlisted) because you would likely be paying sticker or very close to it. Any reach you get into will not be worth it at that price point.

Charlie802

Bronze

Postby Charlie802 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:49 pm

Rigo wrote:
Charlie802 wrote:Unfortunately (fortunately) I'll be on vacation during the June lsat so I can't retake until October, but I've come to terms with that one. I am debating if I withdraw or ride out the reach applications I have out. . .

October is fine too.
Honestly your reaches suck as options too (if you're talking about where youve been waitlisted) because you would likely be paying sticker or very close to it. Any reach you get into will not be worth it at that price point.

That's what I'm leaning towards. I don't want to pay sticker just to go to an okay-ish school that won't get me where I want to go in life. Unfortunately, I think I made my decision to wait another year, and definitely getting out of my unhappy life situation in the meantime. Thanks for the advice, everyone.

Return to “Choosing a Law School�