LMU law vs UC Hastings law

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
kg4mvp

New

LMU law vs UC Hastings law

Postby kg4mvp » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:54 am

I graduated with a 4.2 GPA and earned a BA in political science. My LSAT was okay, I got a 159, although I've scored as high as a 168 while PTing under test conditions. I was feeling as if I had a low chance at either school, but I got accepted to both. LMU is offering me 102k in scholarship money split evenly amongst the three years while UC Hastings is offering 60k split evenly amongst the three years. LMU's tuition is a bit more expensive, but because I'm from LA originally, I'd be staying at my parent's house and commuting to school. I also want to work in the LA area, so I figure LMU is a decent enough school to get me a job at a midsize law firm within the area. Staying at home would save me a lot of money on rent, especially considering San Fransisco's extremely expensive housing. Additionally, living at home would save me money on food (home cooked meals and a fridge that's always full). I'm not pursuing a legal career for the money. Not to say that I want to work a job that pays me 50k annually, but I definitely want to find a field that I'm passionate about, and pursue my career in that direction. At this point in time, raw as hell and knowing very little, I want to pursue sports law. I want to work with athletes. Whether that be for specific leagues, agencies that work with athletes, teams, or athlete unions like the NBPA. This can change. After all, I am a 0L and virtually know nothing.

Tuition - (LMU) $50, 050 a year full time vs (UCH) $48,638 full time

Scholarship - (LMU) 102k distributed over 3 years as long as I maintain a 2.8 GPA vs (UCH) 60k Provost Scholarship distributed over 3 years. It appears as if it has no minimum gpa requirement. Could be wrong though? I'll be paying the remaining tuition with loans. No money from my parents/savings.

Student to Faculty Ration - (LMU) 12.8:1 vs (UCH) 13.9:1

ToGetIntoTheBoysHole

New

Re: LMU law vs UC Hastings law

Postby ToGetIntoTheBoysHole » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:24 am

Neither. If you do not sit out a cycle and retake the LSAT, you will regret it for the rest of your life.

candidlatke

Bronze

Postby candidlatke » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:24 am

you're going to hear this a lot but you need to retake. going from 159 to 165 is very doable and will open your options significantly. you have a gpa that i would have killed for and you'd be looking at a full ride from lmu with that difference. ucla and usc would be open to you with significant scholarship as well. with your goals and target location, i think it is defensible to shoot for ucla/usc as they are probably your best bets for sports law outside of hys. nonetheless, you want to be squeezing as much money as you can out of wherever you go and to do that, you need to crank that lsat higher

loslakers

New

Postby loslakers » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:59 am

kg4mvp wrote:I graduated with a 4.2 GPA and earned a BA in political science. My LSAT was okay, I got a 159, although I've scored as high as a 168 while PTing under test conditions. I was feeling as if I had a low chance at either school, but I got accepted to both. LMU is offering me 102k in scholarship money split evenly amongst the three years while UC Hastings is offering 60k split evenly amongst the three years. LMU's tuition is a bit more expensive, but because I'm from LA originally, I'd be staying at my parent's house and commuting to school. I also want to work in the LA area, so I figure LMU is a decent enough school to get me a job at a midsize law firm within the area. Staying at home would save me a lot of money on rent, especially considering San Fransisco's extremely expensive housing. Additionally, living at home would save me money on food (home cooked meals and a fridge that's always full). I'm not pursuing a legal career for the money. Not to say that I want to work a job that pays me 50k annually, but I definitely want to find a field that I'm passionate about, and pursue my career in that direction. At this point in time, raw as hell and knowing very little, I want to pursue sports law. I want to work with athletes. Whether that be for specific leagues, agencies that work with athletes, teams, or athlete unions like the NBPA. This can change. After all, I am a 0L and virtually know nothing.

Tuition - (LMU) $50, 050 a year full time vs (UCH) $48,638 full time

Scholarship - (LMU) 102k distributed over 3 years as long as I maintain a 2.8 GPA vs (UCH) 60k Provost Scholarship distributed over 3 years. It appears as if it has no minimum gpa requirement. Could be wrong though? I'll be paying the remaining tuition with loans. No money from my parents/savings.

Student to Faculty Ration - (LMU) 12.8:1 vs (UCH) 13.9:1

Please please please retake. That gpa is so amazing. I know you aren't going to want to hear this, but you really are better off sitting out this cycle and studying for the lsat again. I don't want to make assumptions about your situation but that gpa is just too good to waste. If you could get into the 170s you'd be looking at HYS.

However I do not think every single person is capable of scoring a 170 on the lsat. I don't know if you've maxed out your retakes butI do truly believe that everyone can score into the mid 160s with enough practice and due dilleigence, if you could bump your score up two or three points I'd bet you could be looking at USC/ UCLA and maybe even Georgetown. Please retake. Message people on this forum, take a class, do whatever but you could be Saving yourself literally a hundred thousand dollars with a retake and scoring a bit higher.

BlendedUnicorn

Platinum

Postby BlendedUnicorn » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:22 pm

Yeah if you were hitting 168 on practice exams retake is literally your only law related option here- especially if you want to practice in a unicorn field like sports law.

zot1

Gold

Postby zot1 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:28 pm

I know the idea of putting your plans on hold is daunting, but I agree that in your situation, retaking is best. You could get into better schools with a great scholarship. You could increase your chances of getting a good job after graduation very easily. Retake. You owe it to yourself.

O.J.

Bronze

Postby O.J. » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:01 pm

I gotta say, I'm one of those contrarians who dislikes all the "retake" demands from everyone around here. Yet even I know, this is a MUST retake option. Your GPA is insane, and your PT's suggest 170+ is well within your ability with some more practice.

You're top 5 material man, so go get some!

Return to “Choosing a Law School�