GSU FSU PSU

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Reallyundecided

New

GSU FSU PSU

Postby Reallyundecided » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:03 pm

Having a really tough time making a decision on what law school to attend. Any input would be appreciated.

Deciding between:

Georgia State
$5,000 off of first years tuition and full tuition is covered 2nd and 3rd year for work as a graduate research assistant

Florida State
75% off of in-state tuition (cost would be $5,000 a year)

Penn State
Full tuition, books, and transportation to and from the campus would be covered.

I want to go into the public interest sector of land use law. Ideally, I'd like to wind up in an urban center and working to create sustainable development, potentially with an international focus. I also have an interest in education law.

I'm personally the type that changes my mind a lot so I'm looking to get as much input as possible before I make a decision.

Currently attend FSU
GPA 3.63
LSAT 160

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Re: GSU FSU PSU

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:10 pm

If you change your mind a lot, don't go to law school yet. Figure out what you want to do with your life, and then if law school is still necessary, go then.

LawBuckeye12

New

Postby LawBuckeye12 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:15 pm

Since these are all regional schools I imagine most people will suggest to pick the school where you want to live. Do you want to live in PA, GA, or FL? If it doesn't matter and cost is similar maybe visit and see which one you like best

Reallyundecided

New

Postby Reallyundecided » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:16 pm

I'm confident that law is what I want to do. I've spent the past 3 years making this decision and I'm sure that I want to pursue a JD. Whether I use the legal background for land use, education, or another area (probably public interest) is something I plan to learn in my classes. I just want to go to the school that will give me the best opportunity to figure that out and put me in the best position to get a job in that field.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:40 pm

If you like Tallahassee, then $5,000 per year tuition is enticing. I am familiar with all 4 locations. Have you visited all 4 locations (Penn State has 2 locations) ?

Were you accepted to any other law schools ?

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:00 pm

Reallyundecided wrote:I just want to go to the school that will give me the best opportunity to figure that out and put me in the best position to get a job in that field.

That's not really the calculation you need to be making here. If anything, you should be seeing what job prospects are like in those schools' respective regions, not whether the school has a clinic or some meaningless specialty ranking. As mentioned, all the schools you picked are regional schools, so your decision is going to have to be based on where you want to live and practice.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:24 pm

Odd comment above re: clinics. Clinic are very important for those, not OP's goal, interested in prosecutorial or public defense type work.

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:29 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Odd comment above re: clinics. Clinic are very important for those, not OP's goal, interested in prosecutorial or public defense type work.

Sure. Except every school has some kind of prosecution or defense clinic. That may not have been the case 10 years ago, but it certainly is now. But even if that's not the case, I'd recommend going to a school with no clinic in Georgia over a school with a clinic in Pennsylvania if you ultimately want to work as a PD in Atlanta.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:33 pm

Okay.

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:33 pm

Negotiate FSU up to a full ride. That seems to be the only one that makes sense geographically for you unless you really want to work in Georgia or Pennsylvania.

I feel like Georgia State's offer isn't a good one, but hard to tell since unconventional. $5k off is probably still a decent chunk of change to pay im guessing.

Reallyundecided

New

Postby Reallyundecided » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:56 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:If you like Tallahassee, then $5,000 per year tuition is enticing. I am familiar with all 4 locations. Have you visited all 4 locations (Penn State has 2 locations) ?

Were you accepted to any other law schools ?

I am planning on visiting Georgia State and Penn State in the next month (I'd be doing the Penn State campus and not the Dickinson one.) I have spent a good amount of time at FSU's law school since I go here and am involved in some organizations that have partnered with the law school in the past.

I was also accepted to Houston ($15,000 tuition per year) and Miami ($10,000 per year)

I have been waitlisted at BC, BU, UNC, and UGA. I would potentially consider going to BC or BU off of the waitlist but the sticker price would be too steep for me.

Johann

Diamond

Postby Johann » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:46 am

Wherever you want to work after law school.

lavarman84

Platinum

Postby lavarman84 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:22 am

Reallyundecided wrote:I'm confident that law is what I want to do. I've spent the past 3 years making this decision and I'm sure that I want to pursue a JD. Whether I use the legal background for land use, education, or another area (probably public interest) is something I plan to learn in my classes. I just want to go to the school that will give me the best opportunity to figure that out and put me in the best position to get a job in that field.

Since you don't know what you want to do, I echo everybody else's sentiments in recommending you decide where you want to live long-term and go to the law school that makes sense geographically.

nick417

Bronze

Postby nick417 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:20 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:Odd comment above re: clinics. Clinic are very important for those, not OP's goal, interested in prosecutorial or public defense type work.

Sure. Except every school has some kind of prosecution or defense clinic. That may not have been the case 10 years ago, but it certainly is now. But even if that's not the case, I'd recommend going to a school with no clinic in Georgia over a school with a clinic in Pennsylvania if you ultimately want to work as a PD in Atlanta.

You are correct. Every school has a clinic and the specialty rankings are just bizarre. The goal is to find work.

As for OP, I can speak to PSU, it is in a terrible location. I went to PSU undergrad at University Park and could not imagine going there for law school. There is no legal market in central PA in the middle of nowhere. Harrisburg (the closest metropolitan area, and that is even a small market) is 1.5 hours away. The only good thing PSU has going for it so many people in PA have undergrad degrees from PSU and are extremely loyal (kind of like Notre Dame alumn). So if you went to law school there, you would at least have that connection. But you would miss out on internship opportunities that law schools in Philly and Pittsburgh have (especially if you are interested in Public Interest, I can't imagine much public interest work in central PA). Plus, since PSU law is really new, there is not a huge alumni base (especially if you attend University Park and not Carlisle). Thus I can't imagine that PSU has a lot of job opportunities outside of PA.

I love Penn State, but not for law. Temple or Pitt law are much better options that are on par ranking wise with PSU.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Postby CanadianWolf » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:29 pm

Saying "every school has a clinic" is like saying every law school being considered is ABA accredited."

bmathers

Silver

Postby bmathers » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:53 pm

For PSU, you want Dickinson. Not university park

BL1554

New

Postby BL1554 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:20 pm

bmathers wrote:For PSU, you want Dickinson. Not university park

What are the reasons? I've heard from a current PS Law student that the professors are better at University Park than Dickinson, and that the rumor is that they will be closing Dickinson soon.

areyn22

New

Postby areyn22 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:04 pm

I live in Atlanta. What I've heard is that Georgia State does well enough in-state and in Atlanta, though I imagine Biglaw chances are better elsewhere. You'll definitely end up working in state though. UGA and Emory offer better chances of moving about throughout the region. I'm not sure what tuition is, but if you're only getting $5k off of first year OOS tuition, that's probably too pricy (even with tuition taken care of second and third year). Play them off of FSU/PSU.

bmathers

Silver

Postby bmathers » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:20 pm

BL1554 wrote:
bmathers wrote:For PSU, you want Dickinson. Not university park

What are the reasons? I've heard from a current PS Law student that the professors are better at University Park than Dickinson, and that the rumor is that they will be closing Dickinson soon.

Dickinson is the 5th oldest in the nation - not a chance of that happenings. Dickinson has a MUCH stronger alumni base and better location for the legal marketplace. Visit the schools, sit in on classes, talk to students - and talk to attorneys that hire.

Dickinson is the superior school. State College is a HORRIBLE location for a law school. FYI, from what I have seen, Dickinson's employment rate was 20% higher than PS Law last year.

Even if you are correct about the better professors - what do you want: Better professors, or a better opportunity at landing a decent job?

"Professor quality" is overrated, even if true.

I'm 3rd-generation PSU, the last thing that I want to do is talk bad on PSU... but, I don't think it's much of a contest here.

bmathers

Silver

Postby bmathers » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:29 pm

Right now PSU is pumping money into PS Law, hoping to make it work. It was a bad move moving the law school from Carlisle to there 10 years ago, and the Dickinson alumni despise it (who, once again, are in hiring positions -- not a PS Law school that just started 10 years ago).

Trying to move Dickinson to the Univ Park campus was a mistake by good ol' Graham Spanier (you know, the president during the 2nd Mile scandal). Now, they spent too much $$$ on that building and are trying to pull out the stops to make it happen (part of that may be hyperbole, but not too far).

(P.S. I got a full-ride from PS Law, but am still choosing Dickinson over it if I go with a PSU law school. My father's law firm partner is a Dickinson grad, a family friend who is a judge is a Dickinson grad, they are all over - especially PA)

P.S.S - they just pumped millions into renovating Dickinson fairly recently, as well as getting their own, separate ABA accreditation from PS Law. I really, really do not think there is any substance in your friend's rumor. If you want 3 more years of the undergrad college life and bar crawls, go to PS Law. If you are more serious in becoming a legal professional and being near internship opportunities, I have a very difficult time recommending PS Law over Dickinson.

HamNewton

New

Postby HamNewton » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:48 pm

If you stay in Tallahassee, on Fridays you can walk across the street to Pots for happy hour. You'll need it.

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:49 pm

The only thing the Penn State posts are convincing me of is that Penn State is a horrible choice, regardless of which godawful campus you go to.

Reallyundecided

New

Postby Reallyundecided » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:55 pm

So I already was pretty sure PSU wasn't where I wanted to go, but this thread has reaffirmed that.

I'm really trying to decide between FSU and GSU

I really like Georgia State's Center for the Comparative Study of Metropolitan Growth and the work they do there. I would also look at doing their joint JD/MCRP program with Georgia Tech if I attended. I love the potential to be in the city of Atlanta and I think their location could really help during my time there. I've always wanted to be in a big-city outside of the state of Florida and GSU gives me the best chance to do that.

On the other end I feel like FSU has a bit more prestige, both are very regional schools and I recognize that, but I think and FSU law degree carries a little more weight. FSU also seems to be a better community from what I've seen in my contact with the admissions department, the type of student programs they have, and the fact that they don't even have a part-time program whereas the part-time program at GSU is advertised. I personally loved FSU for undergrad and really enjoyed the community atmosphere which makes it hard to say no, but I really don't want to go new places and I've lived in Florida for my entire life so I want to get out.

As I said earlier FSU would be $15,000 total and Georgia State will either be $30,000 or $12,000 pending whether they give me an in-state waiver (which I should know in the next month.)

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:02 pm

If they give you the in-state waiver take it back to FSU and ask for more money.

Personally, I would just go to FSU to keep and foster the ties you have. It just makes sense. But if you really don't want to stay in Florida then I guess don't. I just wouldn't pay more to go to GSU unless you 100% want to practice in Georgia.

Return to “Choosing a Law School�