BU vs. Cardozo??

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jtawil

New
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:47 pm

BU vs. Cardozo??

Postby jtawil » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:08 pm

So I was given 25k a year to BU and a full scholly to Cardozo. I definitely want to work in NYC after law school.
BU would end up ultimately being 45K a year, setting me back 135K, while if I were in Cardozo I would live at home, thus virtually costing almost nothing. I can't figure out which to take! What do you guys think?

kingpin101

Bronze
Posts: 320
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:24 pm

Re: BU vs. Cardozo??

Postby kingpin101 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:11 pm

Under no circumstances is BU worth that much. Cardozo it is.

cavalier1138

Platinum
Posts: 5061
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: BU vs. Cardozo??

Postby cavalier1138 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:12 pm

What are your career goals in NYC? GPA/LSAT?

With the limited information you've given, BU is not going to be very helpful if you ultimately want to work in NY. But without knowing what you actually want to do with your JD, it's impossible to give a substantive answer.

Mikey

Platinum
Posts: 8047
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: BU vs. Cardozo??

Postby Mikey » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:57 pm

Like Cavalier said, it does depend on what your goals are in NYC. If your goals are in line with actual possibilities from a school like Cardozo, then dozo.

jtawil

New
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:47 pm

Re: BU vs. Cardozo??

Postby jtawil » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:58 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:What are your career goals in NYC? GPA/LSAT?

With the limited information you've given, BU is not going to be very helpful if you ultimately want to work in NY. But without knowing what you actually want to do with your JD, it's impossible to give a substantive answer.

Well I would love to work for a big firm, but that's not so easy from cardozo, which is why I'm hesitant.

Mikey

Platinum
Posts: 8047
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: BU vs. Cardozo??

Postby Mikey » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:07 pm

jtawil wrote:Well I would love to work for a big firm, but that's not so easy from cardozo, which is why I'm hesitant.

Very hard from Cardozo. What are your stats?

cavalier1138

Platinum
Posts: 5061
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: BU vs. Cardozo??

Postby cavalier1138 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:02 pm

jtawil wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:What are your career goals in NYC? GPA/LSAT?

With the limited information you've given, BU is not going to be very helpful if you ultimately want to work in NY. But without knowing what you actually want to do with your JD, it's impossible to give a substantive answer.

Well I would love to work for a big firm, but that's not so easy from cardozo, which is why I'm hesitant.


Right. So are you going to change your career goals?

And what is your GPA/LSAT?

Informative

Bronze
Posts: 438
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:10 pm

Re: BU vs. Cardozo??

Postby Informative » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:31 pm

jtawil wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:What are your career goals in NYC? GPA/LSAT?

With the limited information you've given, BU is not going to be very helpful if you ultimately want to work in NY. But without knowing what you actually want to do with your JD, it's impossible to give a substantive answer.

Well I would love to work for a big firm, but that's not so easy from cardozo, which is why I'm hesitant.



It is very hard from BU as well. At least at Dozo you wouldn't have all the debt. I'd take the $$$.

User avatar
Joscellin

Gold
Posts: 1515
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:40 am

Re: BU vs. Cardozo??

Postby Joscellin » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:17 pm

Informative wrote:
jtawil wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:What are your career goals in NYC? GPA/LSAT?

With the limited information you've given, BU is not going to be very helpful if you ultimately want to work in NY. But without knowing what you actually want to do with your JD, it's impossible to give a substantive answer.

Well I would love to work for a big firm, but that's not so easy from cardozo, which is why I'm hesitant.



It is very hard from BU as well. At least at Dozo you wouldn't have all the debt. I'd take the $$$.


BU places like 30% of its class into BL/FC doesn't it? That's not a median outcome, but it's not *remotely* the uphill climb it is from Cardozo.

User avatar
studyingeveryday

Silver
Posts: 545
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:19 pm

Re: BU vs. Cardozo??

Postby studyingeveryday » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:50 pm

If you 100% want biglaw, don't go to Cardozo. If you're okay with other prospects, thoroughly research what those are and are still okay with it, then go ahead.

(But if you've only taken the LSAT once or twice, you should try to retake if you can).

User avatar
Ferrisjso

Gold
Posts: 2149
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:40 pm

Re: BU vs. Cardozo??

Postby Ferrisjso » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:08 pm

Joscellin wrote:
Informative wrote:
jtawil wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:What are your career goals in NYC? GPA/LSAT?

With the limited information you've given, BU is not going to be very helpful if you ultimately want to work in NY. But without knowing what you actually want to do with your JD, it's impossible to give a substantive answer.

Well I would love to work for a big firm, but that's not so easy from cardozo, which is why I'm hesitant.



It is very hard from BU as well. At least at Dozo you wouldn't have all the debt. I'd take the $$$.


BU places like 30% of its class into BL/FC doesn't it? That's not a median outcome, but it's not *remotely* the uphill climb it is from Cardozo.


Cardozo is close to 20%. I'm also pretty sure a good deal of those BU big law kids are working in Boston.

User avatar
Johann

Diamond
Posts: 19704
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:25 pm

Re: BU vs. Cardozo??

Postby Johann » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:33 am

If you want biglaw, gotta go BU. Doesn't mean you'll necessarily get it, but you'll have a decent network to use and firms will at least interview lots of people. Did you not get into Fordham?

jtawil

New
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:47 pm

Re: BU vs. Cardozo??

Postby jtawil » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:44 am

JohannDeMann wrote:If you want biglaw, gotta go BU. Doesn't mean you'll necessarily get it, but you'll have a decent network to use and firms will at least interview lots of people. Did you not get into Fordham?

I did, but isn't BU better than Fordham?

cavalier1138

Platinum
Posts: 5061
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: BU vs. Cardozo??

Postby cavalier1138 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:19 am

jtawil wrote:
JohannDeMann wrote:If you want biglaw, gotta go BU. Doesn't mean you'll necessarily get it, but you'll have a decent network to use and firms will at least interview lots of people. Did you not get into Fordham?

I did, but isn't BU better than Fordham?


They're about even for biglaw, but Fordham will be better for NYC placement.

Of course, none of these schools are good options for biglaw, and since you point-blank refuse to provide important information (like your GPA/LSAT and actual total cost of living), my advice would be to retake. You haven't given any indication that you've thought of career options outside of biglaw, and none of your school options give you a very good chance at it.

User avatar
Stylnator

Silver
Posts: 503
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:26 pm

Re: BU vs. Cardozo??

Postby Stylnator » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:45 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
jtawil wrote:
JohannDeMann wrote:If you want biglaw, gotta go BU. Doesn't mean you'll necessarily get it, but you'll have a decent network to use and firms will at least interview lots of people. Did you not get into Fordham?

I did, but isn't BU better than Fordham?


They're about even for biglaw, but Fordham will be better for NYC placement.

Of course, none of these schools are good options for biglaw, and since you point-blank refuse to provide important information (like your GPA/LSAT and actual total cost of living), my advice would be to retake. You haven't given any indication that you've thought of career options outside of biglaw, and none of your school options give you a very good chance at it.



Don't fault someone if they'd rather just not post their stats. Not everyone is as open as you'd clearly like them to be, and that's completely fine. They just won't get the most tailored advice on these forums.

Assume everyone will be an average student until they give you stats not to think so. Redundant posts asking for stats is helping no one.

jtawil

New
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:47 pm

Re: BU vs. Cardozo??

Postby jtawil » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:21 am

Stylnator wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
jtawil wrote:
JohannDeMann wrote:If you want biglaw, gotta go BU. Doesn't mean you'll necessarily get it, but you'll have a decent network to use and firms will at least interview lots of people. Did you not get into Fordham?

I did, but isn't BU better than Fordham?


They're about even for biglaw, but Fordham will be better for NYC placement.

Of course, none of these schools are good options for biglaw, and since you point-blank refuse to provide important information (like your GPA/LSAT and actual total cost of living), my advice would be to retake. You haven't given any indication that you've thought of career options outside of biglaw, and none of your school options give you a very good chance at it.



Don't fault someone if they'd rather just not post their stats. Not everyone is as open as you'd clearly like them to be, and that's completely fine. They just won't get the most tailored advice on these forums.

Assume everyone will be an average student until they give you stats not to think so. Redundant posts asking for stats is helping no one.


I would rather not say my stats, but I know I will be above average as a student. Retaking is not an option for me. I'm pretty sure my total cost of living is pretty clear from my first post

cavalier1138

Platinum
Posts: 5061
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: BU vs. Cardozo??

Postby cavalier1138 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:27 am

jtawil wrote:I would rather not say my stats, but I know I will be above average as a student. Retaking is not an option for me. I'm pretty sure my total cost of living is pretty clear from my first post


You don't know you will be above average as a student. That's an extremely dangerous and stupid assumption to make. And retaking is always an option. There is literally no circumstance in the world that actually prevents you from retaking.

You'll do whatever you think is best. But if you are set on biglaw, then neither of these schools is a good option for you.

User avatar
Greenteachurro

Silver
Posts: 1387
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:20 am

Re: BU vs. Cardozo??

Postby Greenteachurro » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:32 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
jtawil wrote:I would rather not say my stats, but I know I will be above average as a student. Retaking is not an option for me. I'm pretty sure my total cost of living is pretty clear from my first post


You don't know you will be above average as a student. That's an extremely dangerous and stupid assumption to make. And retaking is always an option. There is literally no circumstance in the world that actually prevents you from retaking.

You'll do whatever you think is best. But if you are set on biglaw, then neither of these schools is a good option for you.


I mean that is unless you've taken it 3 times. Then you're pretty SOL for 2-5 years or whatever it is.

cavalier1138

Platinum
Posts: 5061
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: BU vs. Cardozo??

Postby cavalier1138 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:37 am

Greenteachurro wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
jtawil wrote:I would rather not say my stats, but I know I will be above average as a student. Retaking is not an option for me. I'm pretty sure my total cost of living is pretty clear from my first post


You don't know you will be above average as a student. That's an extremely dangerous and stupid assumption to make. And retaking is always an option. There is literally no circumstance in the world that actually prevents you from retaking.

You'll do whatever you think is best. But if you are set on biglaw, then neither of these schools is a good option for you.


I mean that is unless you've taken it 3 times. Then you're pretty SOL for 2-5 years or whatever it is.


Unless you did all three retakes in the same calendar year, which means you usually don't have to actually wait two years from the last retake. And that doesn't actually prevent a retake; it just delays it.

Redfactor

Bronze
Posts: 413
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: BU vs. Cardozo??

Postby Redfactor » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:37 am

jtawil wrote:
Stylnator wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
jtawil wrote:
JohannDeMann wrote:If you want biglaw, gotta go BU. Doesn't mean you'll necessarily get it, but you'll have a decent network to use and firms will at least interview lots of people. Did you not get into Fordham?

I did, but isn't BU better than Fordham?


They're about even for biglaw, but Fordham will be better for NYC placement.

Of course, none of these schools are good options for biglaw, and since you point-blank refuse to provide important information (like your GPA/LSAT and actual total cost of living), my advice would be to retake. You haven't given any indication that you've thought of career options outside of biglaw, and none of your school options give you a very good chance at it.



Don't fault someone if they'd rather just not post their stats. Not everyone is as open as you'd clearly like them to be, and that's completely fine. They just won't get the most tailored advice on these forums.

Assume everyone will be an average student until they give you stats not to think so. Redundant posts asking for stats is helping no one.


I would rather not say my stats, but I know I will be above average as a student. Retaking is not an option for me. I'm pretty sure my total cost of living is pretty clear from my first post


Did you not get any money from Fordham? If not, try and negotiate some money. If Fordham will match BU (unsure if they do matching) and you're able to stay with $0 COL, it might be a decent option.



Return to “Choosing a Law School�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests