UPenn vs. Temple

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
cavalier1138

Platinum
Posts: 5046
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: UPenn vs. Temple

Postby cavalier1138 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:00 pm

Please keep this guy going.

My money is on him being a new brand of forum-trolling bot, designed to spew out random words from bad sites about logical fallacies. But he could also just be someone who really, really, really doesn't have a firm grasp on basic stuff.

User avatar
URMSenator52

New
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:50 am

Re: UPenn vs. Temple

Postby URMSenator52 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:06 pm

Ronan wrote:
URMSenator52 wrote:
Ronan wrote:
URMSenator52 wrote:
How can you say deadly heroin epidemic with, more deaths than past 20 years does not equal more state prosecutor hiring or PD? Did you hear Jeff sessions speech to the attorney generals across the U.S.? Drug Enforcement and immigration are #1. And being a lateral AUSA at like Scranton PA is very possible. I


Also, drug enforcement and immigration are mainly issues that federal prosecutors deal with. So I don't think county prosecutors are going to be increasing their hiring practices because of it.

lol


Lol no,if there is a federal hiring freeze. While Sessions wants more drug enforcement and immigration control. While also Republicans want to give alot of power to the states. Then one can assume this means hiring more state prosecutors/PD's. Since less people will be working in Fed lol. But the Heroin use is an Epidemic in PA. Governor Wolf,has even called for more police/prosecutors hiring's etc.. So major political and logical flaw in your argument.


No, there isn't any flaw in my argument. The county prosecutors aren't going to assume the role of dealing with immigration and federal drug issues because of a hiring freeze at the federal level and because the Republicans value state sovereignty. There's also not going to be an increase of hiring in DA offices because of the federal hiring freeze. You're not serious when you suggest that, are you?

Governor Wolf hasn't asked for more county prosecutors. The AG's office asked for more lawyers. Meaning, the Attorney General will probably hire a few more attorneys. And the AG's office isn't going to hire a new graduate as one of those 2 or 3 attorneys that they convince the legislature to fork money over for.


You don't speak for all the DA's across PA,yes the legislature sucks. But I doubt there will not be some surge in hiring. AG office is just one of the many examples. The AG office was stricken with corruption. This is how the hiring went up there. You have Reading,Allentown,and Philly imo will surge with applications and hirings

chelssd3232

New
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:26 pm

Re: UPenn vs. Temple

Postby chelssd3232 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:14 pm

csch1017 wrote:
Ronan wrote:You're dumb if you limit your 4.0 gpa with a 160 lsat. Really, really bad life decision. Awful.

Just because I have a 4.0 gpa does not mean I'm a super genius who is going to score a much higher score on the LSAT. I'm proud of my 160, considering that was above my prep test average. I'm asking for advice on the schools, not your insults directed towards my life decisions.

Penn was a reach school for me. I have gotten 5 full rides from Temple, Villanova, Drexel, Catholic, and Penn State. I think Temple is the best among those considering I want to stay in the Philly area and I like their trial advocacy program. But I'm trying to figure out if I should seriously consider Penn, because I know I would have a wider range of job opportunities.


I'm about to disagree with what a lot of these people are saying, but if AUSA is your goal Temple is still a viable option. I personally know three AUSAs who graduated from Temple Law, and when I discussed my own options with them their biggest piece of advice was to try and come out with as little debt as possible. If you choose Penn at sticker or close to sticker, you're going to need to find a high paying job to pay back those loans. While that is definitely doable with a Penn degree, you very well may not love the work. I work at the US Attorneys Office in my city as an intern and when I talked to my boss about picking Temple or Drexel she highly advocated that I pick Drexel since they are offering me full tuition/stipend as well. Don't get me wrong, rankings are important, but your grades/class rank from a school and connections are far more important than a school's prestige based off everyone I have talked to, many of whom are AUSAs.

RedPurpleBlue

Silver
Posts: 511
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:41 pm

Re: UPenn vs. Temple

Postby RedPurpleBlue » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:19 am

I say go with Temple, if you're going to do government PI/low-prestige PI work. The government is generally hire from a diverse set of educational backgrounds, so I don't think it's a big that you didn't go to Penn. I'm pretty sure the government is fixated on percentage cutoffs. They may want you to be the top 25% of your class (using that arbitrary percentage for the sake of my point). That'd be the same cutoff for a Penn or Temple graduate. It's not like big law, where you may need to be in the top 10% at Temple to get big law whereas you can be at the top 50% at Penn (or whatever the two percentages are). There are plenty of AUSAs from non-prestigious backgrounds, especially in states/regions with lack of prestigious law schools (not the case with PA).

I should mention though that you are leaving a lot of money on the table. A year doing something else and studying very hard for the LSAT could get you big money at Penn. I understand you aren't keen on that idea, but I feel obligated to mention it with your GPA.

cavalier1138

Platinum
Posts: 5046
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: UPenn vs. Temple

Postby cavalier1138 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:26 am

chelssd3232 wrote:
csch1017 wrote:
Ronan wrote:You're dumb if you limit your 4.0 gpa with a 160 lsat. Really, really bad life decision. Awful.

Just because I have a 4.0 gpa does not mean I'm a super genius who is going to score a much higher score on the LSAT. I'm proud of my 160, considering that was above my prep test average. I'm asking for advice on the schools, not your insults directed towards my life decisions.

Penn was a reach school for me. I have gotten 5 full rides from Temple, Villanova, Drexel, Catholic, and Penn State. I think Temple is the best among those considering I want to stay in the Philly area and I like their trial advocacy program. But I'm trying to figure out if I should seriously consider Penn, because I know I would have a wider range of job opportunities.


I'm about to disagree with what a lot of these people are saying, but if AUSA is your goal Temple is still a viable option. I personally know three AUSAs who graduated from Temple Law, and when I discussed my own options with them their biggest piece of advice was to try and come out with as little debt as possible. If you choose Penn at sticker or close to sticker, you're going to need to find a high paying job to pay back those loans. While that is definitely doable with a Penn degree, you very well may not love the work. I work at the US Attorneys Office in my city as an intern and when I talked to my boss about picking Temple or Drexel she highly advocated that I pick Drexel since they are offering me full tuition/stipend as well. Don't get me wrong, rankings are important, but your grades/class rank from a school and connections are far more important than a school's prestige based off everyone I have talked to, many of whom are AUSAs.


Your boss is advocating a smart financial move, not telling you to go to Drexel and then call her when you're ready to take the job. Most competitive AUSA offices still care where you went to school, and the odd outlier employee from a TTT isn't an indication that you should go there with that goal in mind. Also, the reason that people advocate picking a higher-ranked school is that once you matriculate, you'll always have that name on your degree. But you can't guarantee placing at the top of your class anywhere, so even if it were the case that top of the class at Drexel gave you the same options as top of the class at Penn (hint: it doesn't), you still shouldn't pick a school based on that possibility.

This has all gotten way too far afield, though. The OP never indicated a specific interest in any field of criminal law, so no one should be offering specific advice about the long-shot job opportunities from Pennsylvania's less-necessary law schools.

User avatar
armc808

Bronze
Posts: 248
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:41 pm

Re: UPenn vs. Temple

Postby armc808 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:37 pm

Penn. The wider range of opportunities available to you would be unparalleled, and even if you're looking at criminal law right now, that may very well change a year (or two) from now when you've been immersed in different areas of the law. You might also decide that you'd rather work somewhere else besides Philly or PA, but between the two schools, only Penn will give you a strong reach in other legal markets. Since living with your parents will mitigate a good chunk of COL, I think the extra costs that have to be made up in loans is worth it so long as you understand the investment you're making.

For better or worse, the legal profession is a very hierarchical one, and where you go to school matters a lot. If you have the opportunity to go to Penn, I would strongly consider it.



Return to “Choosing a Law School�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: eggbone and 6 guests