Should I apply anywhere else?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
tuitiontho

New

Should I apply anywhere else?

Postby tuitiontho » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:46 pm

I'd like to know if it would be worth it to apply to more schools.
Background: LSAT 157 GPA 3.49 & Arizona resident
Thus far, I've applied to: UC Davis, ASU, UA, Loyola Marymount, Chicago-Kent, and Seattle.

Should I apply to more schools? I'm more than willing to re-take the LSAT if I don't get any offers, but I want to see what I can get as is.

UVA2B

Gold

Re: Should I apply anywhere else?

Postby UVA2B » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:47 pm

What do you want to do and where would you like to work?

Answer these questions to get a better response.

tuitiontho

New

Postby tuitiontho » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:16 am

UVA2B wrote:What do you want to do and where would you like to work?

Answer these questions to get a better response.

I want to be a trial attorney, so I'd most likely be going into criminal law. And I would like to work somewhere in the west coast, in or near a metropolitan area. But, I'm down for somewhere on the east coast if necessary.

UVA2B

Gold

Postby UVA2B » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:38 am

Ok, that's a pretty broad geographic preference. Have you calculated cost of attendance at all institutions? There is a stickied topic in this forum that helps in calculating costs at the given schools based on their supplied tuition, CoL, fees, and interest in loans if debt financing. You'll need to calculate the cost of attendance for all those schools to determine which one/whether any of them are a good bet for law school. My initial answer will be UA or ASU since you have ties to Arizona and would get in-state tuition. But still need approximate costs and how you'll be paying to help with the decision.

Eliminate Chicago Kent right now. Makes no sense for your career goals/geographic preference.

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:48 am

Yeah, you need to give more specific numbers to get any kind of real advice here. But your choices are all over the place. I would drop Chicago-Kent, but I would also drop ASU and UA, because you said you wanted to work on the West Coast. Arizona is not the West Coast, and neither of those schools will let you work in California.

I'm also thinking that "trial attorney" is a bit of a vague goal, especially since you just said that "most likely" would involve going into criminal law. That makes me think you don't actually have a particular area you're interested in outside of the romanticized "stand up in court and make an argument" field. It's ok to not have a whole career path laid out for yourself at this point, but if everything works out for you, where do you see yourself in 10-15 years?

UVA2B

Gold

Postby UVA2B » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:01 am

cavalier1138 wrote:Yeah, you need to give more specific numbers to get any kind of real advice here. But your choices are all over the place. I would drop Chicago-Kent, but I would also drop ASU and UA, because you said you wanted to work on the West Coast. Arizona is not the West Coast, and neither of those schools will let you work in California.

I'm also thinking that "trial attorney" is a bit of a vague goal, especially since you just said that "most likely" would involve going into criminal law. That makes me think you don't actually have a particular area you're interested in outside of the romanticized "stand up in court and make an argument" field. It's ok to not have a whole career path laid out for yourself at this point, but if everything works out for you, where do you see yourself in 10-15 years?

Differing opinions on what it means to be West Coast, but I was assuming OP considers Arizona West Coast (most I know from Arizona, Nevada, etc. do, but anecdotal). Agreed UA and ASU are out if goal is California. But if they'd like Arizona and consider working in AZ, it should probably fly to the top of the list.

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:08 am

UVA2B wrote:...(most I know from Arizona, Nevada, etc. do, but anecdotal)...

As a former California resident, I always feel the need to correct people from the Southwest who make that claim. Especially Arizona. It's like when people from New Jersey say they live in New York: be proud of your sorry excuse for a state.

But yeah, I figure the OP probably falls in your category of considering Arizona to be West Coast. It just wouldn't be right for me to not bust their chops for it.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:08 am

You have a strong likelihood of being admitted to all 6 law schools to which you have applied so the remaining issue should focus on cost/scholarships. For scholarship money, you should consider retaking the LSAT .

P.S. Consider applying to the University of Denver & University of San Diego to get some scholarship money.

tuitiontho

New

Postby tuitiontho » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:27 pm

Let me be more specific:
Which, if any, schools could give me an offer that would be more appetizing than the in-state tuition/cheap cost of living/and strong ranking of ASU/UA?
So, for example, would Lewis & Clark, Oregon, UNLV, or any other schools in California be worth an application? Or is there some gem across the country that I am not considering that would be competitive with acceptance to ASU/UA?

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:34 pm

tuitiontho wrote:Let me be more specific:
Which, if any, schools could give me an offer that would be more appetizing than the in-state tuition/cheap cost of living/and strong ranking of ASU/UA?
So, for example, would Lewis & Clark, Oregon, UNLV, or any other schools in California be worth an application? Or is there some gem across the country that I am not considering that would be competitive with acceptance to ASU/UA?

There are plenty of schools that would be competitive, but it all depends on what region of the country you look in. I wouldn't recommend a place like Oregon, simply because there aren't any jobs in that state, and the degree has no real portability.

I'm still not quite sure what you mean by "criminal law", though, and that's really where you need to get more specific. Do you want to work as a local DA? Public defender? Solo practice? AUSA? Main Justice? Do you actually want to practice criminal law, or is this just your default position because you're not aware of what other practice areas look like (not meant to be insulting- criminal law is the only area of law most people actually know about before starting school)?

UVA2B

Gold

Postby UVA2B » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:35 pm

No, there are no other schools you should be looking at to be "competitive" with UA/ASU. Find the cheapest option of those in a location where you'd want to practice small firm law and small government work (most likely outcomes from all of them).

If you want California most, and Davis isn't appreciably more expensive than other options, go there with the expectation of ending up in Central California.

If you want Arizona, go to the cheaper of UA/ASU.

If you want PNW/Seattle, go to Seattle if it's not appreciably more expensive than the others.

Look, with all of these schools you're talking about regional influence in employment prospects, so find a reasonably priced option in the area where you find most appealing to practice. Without better options, thinking nationally/outside the region is irresponsible.

Until you calculate COA at each of them based on scholarship offers and CoL, no one here can help you, because comparing UA/ASU to Davis or Seattle is truly an apples vs. cacti comparison. They have no business being compared to each other.

tuitiontho

New

Postby tuitiontho » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:44 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:Yeah, you need to give more specific numbers to get any kind of real advice here. But your choices are all over the place. I would drop Chicago-Kent, but I would also drop ASU and UA, because you said you wanted to work on the West Coast. Arizona is not the West Coast, and neither of those schools will let you work in California.

Hmm, I see what you're saying. I plan on working as a public defender/prosecutor at the start of my career and then deciding if I want to continue to work for the government or go into private practice. It would be great if I could work as a federal public defender. My interest in being a trial attorney stems from years of doing mock trial and having met many people I would consider to be trial attorneys. But, c'mon, Arizona is the west coast :wink:

moonsover

New

Postby moonsover » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:38 pm

tuitiontho wrote:Let me be more specific:

If you're in at ASU/UA you might get some scholarship offers from UNLV or USD. It looks like your numbers match up. UNLV has decent cost of living and is close to Arizona. USD has San Diego weather. Both are metropolitanish areas. USD obviously better connected to California, but UNLV is the only law school in Nevada. If you want to do criminal law, both cities probably have crime.

Return to “Choosing a Law School�