Recommendations for 3.2 GPA, 169 LSAT in Midwest

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
wohitwn

New

Recommendations for 3.2 GPA, 169 LSAT in Midwest

Postby wohitwn » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:26 am

I was wondering if anyone had a recommendation for what my best options for law school would be:

GPA: 3.2
LSAT: 169

I am originally from Chicago, but do not really have an interest or even know if I would have a shot at Big Law in Chicago, NYC, or another really large market. I did go to an SEC school for undergrad and an ACC school for my M.A. and would not mind living in the South, but I know those markets are very insular and I might have trouble breaking into them.

The only other place I have a real connection to is Michigan (Lansing/Grand Rapids), as I have a lot of family there and spent most of my summers growing up there. Is that enough of a tie for a job in Michigan? I really would be happy to practice in Grand Rapids, but am unsure if this is feasible for me.

I know University of Michigan is unlikely, but was wondering if it would be worth going to somewhere like Michigan State or Wayne State with a scholarship for a job in Michigan.

Thank you for any suggestions on this or on any other schools/markets in the Midwest I should look into.
Last edited by wohitwn on Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cavalier1138

Gold

Re: Recommendations for 3.2 GPA, 169 LSAT in Midwest

Postby cavalier1138 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:33 am

Well, what kind of law do you want to practice beyond not-biglaw? And where do you actually want to work? You can break into almost any insular market by going to school in the region, so you shouldn't be limiting yourself to states where you have family. And you certainly shouldn't be considering Michigan State or Wayne State with that LSAT.

floatie

Silver

Postby floatie » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:59 pm

Your LSAT could offset your GPA at some lower T14 schools and definitely T15-20, so don't sell yourself short. Check out mylsn.info to see what your acceptance/scholarship options might be. Also - your family ties are probably enough to get a job in Michigan even if you don't go to law school in Michigan. Your options would probably be better going to a higher ranked school with a scholarship (think Emory, WUSTL, etc), and then actively networking with firms/PI places in Michigan

blueapple

Silver

Postby blueapple » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:05 pm

floatie wrote:Also - your family ties are probably enough to get a job in Michigan even if you don't go to law school in Michigan.

I don't think this is true, unless your family there has connections with the legal community there. I don't know much about the legal market in Lansing but my understanding is that Grand Rapids is really insular and it's hard to get a job there unless you grew up there. I don't mean to discourage you, OP -- if your family can help set you up with networking opportunities in the legal community then it might work out. But it is definitely nowhere near a guarantee, even if you go to Michigan.
Last edited by blueapple on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

01panm

New

Postby 01panm » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:50 pm

I would say that your best option is WUSTL. A 169 should put you in consideration for close to full ride, even with your GPA. They place well in the Midwest (although not necessarily Michigan).

Going to MSU or Wayne is a waste of your LSAT, and I suspect that it'll be hard to crack the T14. There are some splitter friendly schools (UVA comes to mind) but your LSAT is probably a point too low (so many schools have a 169). Doesn't hurt to try though.

floatie

Silver

Postby floatie » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:44 pm

blueapple wrote:
floatie wrote:Also - your family ties are probably enough to get a job in Michigan even if you don't go to law school in Michigan.

I don't think this is true, unless your family there has connections with the legal community there. I don't know much about the legal market in Lansing but my understanding is that Grand Rapids is really insular and it's hard to get a job there unless you grew up there. I don't mean to discourage you, OP -- if your family can help set you up with networking opportunities in the legal community then it might work out. But it is definitely nowhere near a guarantee, even if you go to Michigan.

True, let me rephrase - your family ties to Michigan are sufficient to demonstrate that you have interest in actually practicing in the area, and that you're not just applying for a job there as a safety/backup/Hail Mary, but no school will guarantee a job in those cities. If your sole purpose of going to law school at Michigan State/Wayne State was to demonstrate continued interest in the area, that is not necessary. Lets say that you are completely unable to get a job in Lansing or any of the other cities in Michigan, and you now have to turn to another market (lets say, Chicago) - a JD from Michigan State is going to become extremely limiting, whereas a degree from, say, Emory/WUSTL would make you a much stronger candidate for other job markets.

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:35 am

Definitely throw WUSTL an app for $$$$.

16to19

Bronze

Postby 16to19 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:27 pm

Crazier stuff has happened than you getting into Michigan. Write an interesting personal statement, crush your "Why Michigan," and write an addendum explaining your grades.

Also, if you haven't already, apply. Like yesterday.

Return to “Choosing a Law School�