GULC worth 40k more than GW?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver
Posts: 1224
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:55 pm

Re: GULC worth 40k more than GW?

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:42 pm

mrgstephe wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:My name is Ferrisjso and I give terrible advice in every thread I post to.


OP, if those are your only two options, the obvious choice is GULC.


Dead. :lol: :lol:

User avatar
jlc058

Bronze
Posts: 111
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:38 pm

Re: GULC worth 40k more than GW?

Postby jlc058 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:03 pm

BigZuck wrote:
jlc058 wrote:
vcap180 wrote:
Capitol_Idea wrote:I'm seeing a lot of positive words being bandied about

Let's keep it all in perspective: GULC is juuuuuust this side of a dumpster fire, and GW is in the middle of the burning refuse pile.



Meh, at the prices being discussed here, OP could escape either situation unburned.

But your broader point is kind of why I made my previous post: in terms of employment scores, underemployment scores, and FC/BL numbers, these two schools are surprisingly comparable (and not all that attractive).

Accordingly, there must be some other factors that account for Gtttowns "overwheleming" edge here: lay prestttige? Degree portability? Both? Idk?


I am also curious about this as someone who is considering both schools. I know when you hear the names its Georgetown OBVIOUSLY but I am not seeing any huge difference in the employment statistics and am trying to figure out what makes it so obvious. They place slightly higher in big law but if someone isn't interested in that...what is the benefit?

Big law percentage is more than slightly higher. There's a difference in small firm percentage. I'm more inclined to believe the big law numbers is real, actual big law in the case of Georgetown. I'm not too up on how much each school games their employment stats with public interest percentages so someone else will have to comment on that.

There's a pretty sizeable difference in TX when it comes to employment opportunities for Georgetown grads vs UT grads. I imagine the chasm is even wider for Georgetown grads vs George Washington grads when it comes to D.C. employment.

If you're not interested in big law that's great but maybe neither school is the answer in that case. It depends on what you are interested in.

All else being equal I'd pick GULC over GW all day err day


I don't count the difference between 40% and 32% a huge difference (or or a .1 difference if you wanted to be a federal clerk) if it is coming down to a huge debt load- maybe if it were only 40k though. I get the difference between non T14 and T14 especially in other parts of the country-but if you wanted to end up in DC these schools don't seem THAT far off each other by numbers at least, if there were other factors that was what I was wondering

User avatar
jlc058

Bronze
Posts: 111
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:38 pm

Re: GULC worth 40k more than GW?

Postby jlc058 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:07 pm

UVA2B wrote:
jlc058 wrote:
vcap180 wrote:
Capitol_Idea wrote:I'm seeing a lot of positive words being bandied about

Let's keep it all in perspective: GULC is juuuuuust this side of a dumpster fire, and GW is in the middle of the burning refuse pile.



Meh, at the prices being discussed here, OP could escape either situation unburned.

But your broader point is kind of why I made my previous post: in terms of employment scores, underemployment scores, and FC/BL numbers, these two schools are surprisingly comparable (and not all that attractive).

Accordingly, there must be some other factors that account for Gtttowns "overwheleming" edge here: lay prestttige? Degree portability? Both? Idk?


I am also curious about this as someone who is considering both schools. I know when you hear the names its Georgetown OBVIOUSLY but I am not seeing any huge difference in the employment statistics and am trying to figure out what makes it so obvious. They place slightly higher in big law but if someone isn't interested in that...what is the benefit?


Put simply, when you're talking about other types of employment (non-biglaw/art. III clerk), your goals become even more important in picking a school/debt load. You've previously mentioned doing ACLU type work, and it may not be intuitive, but those types of jobs seem to be even more prestige sensitive than the others because the jobs available are so scarce. I'm not sure GULC gives appreciably better opps at a place like ACLU, but that's likely more a product of neither being great options.

If you want general PI, nonprofit work, they are likely fungible mostly, meaning you're better off saving money in preparation for dat PSLF?/$40k lifestyle. But again, your goals (specific goals, as in orgs you'd like to work for) will be more informative in picking between the two.


Thanks, yeah its trying to figure out which is more important to give weight to that is killing me. the debt load plays a big role but roles are still competitive and I don't know how much more weight Georgetown carries than GW, from the numbers it seems hard to tell but from people's perceptions (beyond that they both suck) it seems like a degree from Georgetown does matter

User avatar
dm1683

Silver
Posts: 744
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:57 pm

Re: GULC worth 40k more than GW?

Postby dm1683 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:05 pm

jlc058 wrote:
UVA2B wrote:
jlc058 wrote:
vcap180 wrote:
Capitol_Idea wrote:I'm seeing a lot of positive words being bandied about

Let's keep it all in perspective: GULC is juuuuuust this side of a dumpster fire, and GW is in the middle of the burning refuse pile.



Meh, at the prices being discussed here, OP could escape either situation unburned.

But your broader point is kind of why I made my previous post: in terms of employment scores, underemployment scores, and FC/BL numbers, these two schools are surprisingly comparable (and not all that attractive).

Accordingly, there must be some other factors that account for Gtttowns "overwheleming" edge here: lay prestttige? Degree portability? Both? Idk?


I am also curious about this as someone who is considering both schools. I know when you hear the names its Georgetown OBVIOUSLY but I am not seeing any huge difference in the employment statistics and am trying to figure out what makes it so obvious. They place slightly higher in big law but if someone isn't interested in that...what is the benefit?


Put simply, when you're talking about other types of employment (non-biglaw/art. III clerk), your goals become even more important in picking a school/debt load. You've previously mentioned doing ACLU type work, and it may not be intuitive, but those types of jobs seem to be even more prestige sensitive than the others because the jobs available are so scarce. I'm not sure GULC gives appreciably better opps at a place like ACLU, but that's likely more a product of neither being great options.

If you want general PI, nonprofit work, they are likely fungible mostly, meaning you're better off saving money in preparation for dat PSLF?/$40k lifestyle. But again, your goals (specific goals, as in orgs you'd like to work for) will be more informative in picking between the two.


Thanks, yeah its trying to figure out which is more important to give weight to that is killing me. the debt load plays a big role but roles are still competitive and I don't know how much more weight Georgetown carries than GW, from the numbers it seems hard to tell but from people's perceptions (beyond that they both suck) it seems like a degree from Georgetown does matter


OP the only people who think that Georgetown sucks are on this website (and probably people at HYS). Yes it's overrated and is way stingier with scholarships than a school in its position (barely clinging to the t14) should be, but it's still among the best law schools in the country and well worth it if your parents are footing the bill and you want to work in DC/ mid-level PI.

And yeah GW is almost universally perceived as the place people go to if they can't get into GTown. Kind of like Cornell is to CLS/NYU.

sherms2015

New
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:01 pm

Re: GULC worth 40k more than GW?

Postby sherms2015 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:13 am

An alternative title for this thread is: GULC worth 40k? And the answer to that question, if you want to be a lawyer, is objectively yes. All the comparative merits of the schools apart, that's really what this boils down to.

Npret

Silver
Posts: 1355
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:42 am

Re: GULC worth 40k more than GW?

Postby Npret » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:38 am

sherms2015 wrote:An alternative title for this thread is: GULC worth 40k? And the answer to that question, if you want to be a lawyer, is objectively yes. All the comparative merits of the schools apart, that's really what this boils down to.


Seriously. This kids wealthy parents won't cover $40,000 and he might have to pay it himself to go to a better school. He can pay it off in 25 years for about $300 a month if his family loses all their money.

If only everyone in this forum had these problems.



Return to “Choosing a Law School�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests