SLU 1843 or WUSTL Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
grc_ee

New

SLU 1843 or WUSTL

Post by grc_ee » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:33 am

I was awarded the SLU 1843 full tuition scholarship and was ready to accept until I received a $90,000 scholarship to WUSTL. I was wondering if WUSTL is worth the extra $60,000.

I have no interest in big law and would prefer to work and a smaller law firm and remain in the St. Louis area. While I am expecting many people to say retake the LSAT and go to WUSTL - I am having a very hard time turning down the SLU 1843.

Does anyone have experience with the SLU 1843 scholarship and if it holds enough weight to offset not going to WUSTL if I plan to stay in St. Louis and not work in big law. Any insight into job prospects into small firm placement from SLU vs WUSLT would be greatly appreciated.

My Numbers are:
UGPA: 3.84
LSAT: 162

Gold

Re: SLU 1843 or WUSTL

Post by 20170322 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:35 am

grc_ee wrote:I was awarded the SLU 1843 full tuition scholarship and was ready to accept until I received a $90,000 scholarship to WUSTL. I was wondering if WUSTL is worth the extra $60,000.

I have no interest in big law and would prefer to work and a smaller law firm and remain in the St. Louis area. While I am expecting many people to say retake the LSAT and go to WUSTL - I am having a very hard time turning down the SLU 1843.

Does anyone have experience with the SLU 1843 scholarship and if it holds enough weight to offset not going to WUSTL if I plan to stay in St. Louis and not work in big law. Any insight into job prospects into small firm placement from SLU vs WUSLT would be greatly appreciated.

My Numbers are:
I know you don't want to hear this, but retake. A few more questions right on a dumb test, and WUSTL will not only offer full tuition, but also a 15k stipend per year. Don't leave that much money on the table.

Joscellin

Gold

Post by Joscellin » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:13 am

grc_ee wrote:I was awarded the SLU 1843 full tuition scholarship and was ready to accept until I received a $90,000 scholarship to WUSTL. I was wondering if WUSTL is worth the extra $60,000.

My Numbers are:
In my mind, this is a pretty clear retake.

While I do not have any specific knowledge with respect to the SLU 1843 scholarship, I would caution you against assuming that employers will give *any* weight to how big a scholarship you got to school.

Generally, they only care about (1) your ties - especially in STL, (2) your school and (3) your grades.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:34 am

Generally, I agree that retaking from SLU to get more money at WashU makes sense, simply because a good chunk of SLU's graduating class don't even get to work as lawyers. But wherever you go, you cannot take on debt. Small firms salaries are not enough to cover any real amount of law school debt.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”