deleted

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

If you wanted to live in Chicago during law school, would you be happy with NU?

Yes
90%
No
10%

Total votes: 100

btruj777

Bronze

Re: Help me be okay with NU

Postby btruj777 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:28 pm

guybourdin wrote:You should visit. When you visit, you should bring a pretty dense book and try to get through a few hours of it commuting from the south loop to hyde park to river north and back to hyde park. Just see how that read goes. Ideally, you would visit in the next 6 weeks so that its kind of shitty outside. I believe after you do that, you and/or God will determine that you don't want to do that commute every day. Not that it would be unbearable, but it wouldn't be productive and you probably wouldn't like it. I would also recommend you walk around the area quite a bit, but, actually, I wouldn't recommend that.

To briefly address everything else you've brought up: LOL.

Seriously: I think a lot of the 'issues' you've brought up are stupid. I think you probably are not stupid, though, which means you should probably just do a lot more research. Talk to students from both schools, talk to administrators, believe us when we say the difference in education is going to be almost non-existent, and, probably, talk to clergy. There are a lot of reasons to pick Chicago over Northwestern, but I can't see you've touched on any of them.

Also, retake. You can go to Chicago next year. Your GPA is there and your LSAT has a lot of room for improvement. If it really matters to you, go. next year.

Which issues did you think were stupid? Please do not worry about the commute.

Kinky John

Silver

Postby Kinky John » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:42 pm

btruj777 wrote:Hello,

I am writing from a place of honesty and would like to pick your brains about something.

I feel very pointed towards the city of Chicago for law school. UChicago was my dream school, I applied ED and got moved to (waitlist/RD - they are unclear about this). I believe I have a great chance at Northwestern. However, I do not know why I feel bad about being able to go to NU, I know its a top law school but for some reason I just feel salty about being in Chicago knowing that there is a better school out there. I do not want to feel this way, I want to be happy, proud, and humble about being able to go to NU. I guess what I am looking for is a better reason to go to NU than, "just didnt make it to UChicago".

3.96/167 URM - possibly retaking in June to see if that will get me off UCHI WL

Yeah, most people at NU feel salty about having to go there instead of UChicago. I constantly overhear the 1Ls talking about efficient breach and law & economics to get ready for their transfer applications. They'll come round. 2Ls/3Ls here have mostly accepted their mediocrity. But I still see the odd breakdown, and if you listen closely late at night, you can hear faint cries coming from the upper floor of the library: "Posner! Posner!"

I'd advise you to retake and go to your dream school--UChicago. It pains me to do so, though, because I know you'd be a great addition to NU.
Last edited by Kinky John on Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:44 pm

PM me and I'll tell you what I turned down to go to NU.

btruj777

Bronze

Postby btruj777 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:47 pm

Kinky John wrote:
btruj777 wrote:Hello,

I am writing from a place of honesty and would like to pick your brains about something.

I feel very pointed towards the city of Chicago for law school. UChicago was my dream school, I applied ED and got moved to (waitlist/RD - they are unclear about this). I believe I have a great chance at Northwestern. However, I do not know why I feel bad about being able to go to NU, I know its a top law school but for some reason I just feel salty about being in Chicago knowing that there is a better school out there. I do not want to feel this way, I want to be happy, proud, and humble about being able to go to NU. I guess what I am looking for is a better reason to go to NU than, "just didnt make it to UChicago".

3.96/167 URM - possibly retaking in June to see if that will get me off UCHI WL

Yeah, most people at NU feel salty about having to go there instead of UChicago. I constantly overhear the 1Ls talking about efficient breach and law & economics to get ready for their transfer applications. They'll come round. 2Ls/3Ls here have mostly accepted their mediocrity. But I still see the odd breakdown, and if you listen closely late at night, you can hear faint cries coming from the upper floor of the library: "Posner! Posner!"

I'd advise you to retake and go to your dream school--UChicago. It pains me to do so, though, because I know you'd be a great addition to NU.

Relevance of your post?

Dondraper88

New

Postby Dondraper88 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:18 pm

I'm praying to get into NU and probably won't, along with many others who would love to be there. Do us a favor and turn down their offer.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:18 pm

btruj777 wrote:
poptart123 wrote:If God wills that you are admitted into NU and not Chicago, will you be content with His plan? I would consider this in determining whether or not I am okay with NU.

Thats what I have been wrestling with and I appreciate you brining that up. Ideally I would be okay with it, but being the humans we are, I would wrestle with it and be stubborn lol. Sometimes it is hard to serve God's plan and I just wanted to see some of the answers I would get. So far you have been the most helpful response, you got me thinking about His will v. my will, and yea I would have to say His will is > mine

Troll has been outed

Oh well you almost made it a page

waldorf

Gold

Postby waldorf » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:00 pm

Lol I would cut off my right arm to have this guy's problem.

BlendedUnicorn

Platinum

Postby BlendedUnicorn » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:12 pm

btruj777 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:A better school for... what, exactly? What job opportunities are you absolutely convinced Northwestern will not give you that Chicago does?

If you're angling for a future academic career or some very specific job types that Chicago is better situated to provide, then it would make sense to think that Northwestern isn't going to get you what you want. But if you just have the generic goal of getting Chicago or NY biglaw, you'll get a job from Northwestern.

Thats the thing, like I am not viewing this schools as just platforms for the next season in my life. I think there is value found in the quality of education from the law school. I am under the impression that the quality of education at UChicago might be higher than NU (I hope I am wrong). The experience I get at each of these schools matters very much to me. For example, UChicago encourages students to take classes at the main campus while NU actually (quoted) discourages it. I do see myself wanting to do BigLaw early in my career but would love to have the door open for academia. Currently I am in at Berkeley, UVA, Cornell. I think Cornell would get me closer to a "UChicago experience" than NU but Cornell is not in Chi-Town

The good news is you're wrong about bolded. Law school is a hurdle to jump over- a means to an end- and nothing more.

Rubbishdump

Bronze

Postby Rubbishdump » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:50 pm

Lmfao at the Jesus comments :P :P :P :roll:

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Postby Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:21 am

I cannot believe this thread.

This is insane, look op you're gunning for the number 4 school in the nation (fucking come at me Columbia) you knew the chances were really slim going into it. On top of everything Cuban/Peruvian isn't even full URM in their eyes (I think that's messed up but that's not the conversation we're having).

Are you really unsure if you would be happy and fulfilled at the 12th best school in the nation otherwise? This isn't Kent we're talking about here (no disrespect to Kent, but that would be a different conversation).

If you really want to go to the city of Chicago that bad then NU is perfect, it's an amazing school with great teachers, research opportunities, and work prospects. It's perfectly located and will set you up to spend a long time in Chicago very comfortably. You'd probably get more money to go to NU than you would Chicago.

I know the recommendation is alway "retake", and if you really want U chicago than go for it, but honestly for what it's worth I say see what NU offers and accept. IF you get off WL you're not getting any money and I am hesitant to advocate sticker anywhere.

Finally, get out of the Law School Application bubble for a while. Talk to someone who didn't go to law school about getting into Cornell, see their response. I guarantee NU will offer you what you want

Wipfelder

Silver

Postby Wipfelder » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:07 am

acr wrote:
btruj777 wrote:
pipipipi wrote:If you wanted to live in Chicago as you said in your title, then NU is a much better place to live than UChicago.

Would the 10 miles between downtown and Hyde Park make that much of a difference?

yes

this is like saying that living in New Jersey is the same thing as living in Manhattan

Hyde Park is like 4 miles from downtown, it's less than 20 minutes by train or car....and UCHI is in a much cheaper neighborhood.

I'm not sure "quality of instruction" is noticeable. UCHI is better for clerkships and academia, and a little bit better for big law.

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:20 am

I've been obsessing over wanting NYU to love me and accept me, so I'm glad I came across this thread :lol:

KMart

Gold

Postby KMart » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:42 am

Go to NU. If you're not going to be happy, sit out a cycle and retake to get better numbers for UChi. Commuting is a hassle, Hyde Park is not nearly as nice (or as fun) as River North, when you go out you'll be traveling much farther to the bars. There's a lot of perks to being at NU. Look at the poll results: not even one smartass fuck decided to say "no". That's telling.

Source: Have Chicago flag tar

echonov

New

Postby echonov » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:54 pm

Wipfelder wrote:Hyde Park is like 4 miles from downtown, it's less than 20 minutes by train or car....and UCHI is in a much cheaper neighborhood.

It's been a little while, but the former was definitely not my experience.

FWIW: I've lived in a number of places around the city and I've done the commute from other parts of the city to HP. It's not great. The distance makes it seem closer than the reality of the commute; waiting for the 2 or 6 bus in single-digit weather and then commuting for 40 minutes up Lake Shore Drive (and then walking or transferring to another form of transportation) is seriously unpleasant. I'll grant you that the commute is variable, but it will very rarely be 20 minutes by public transportation -- anywhere from 30m on a super lucky day without traffic to 1.5h+ on a bad day, and that's just to get to the loop. Didn't have a car, so can't speak as much to it, but I do know that people who did have cars still found the commute frustrating.

That said, HP is a great neighborhood, and it is less expensive than River North (although prices are going up with all of the changes in the neighborhood). But there are also plenty of inexpensive neighborhoods that are an easy commute from NU, so that's not necessarily a tradeoff.

OP: if you're this torn up about the prospect of going to an objectively excellent school, then don't go. But seriously consider why -- beyond some notion of prestige -- you're valuing the two schools so differently.

btruj777

Bronze

Postby btruj777 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:57 pm

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:I cannot believe this thread.

This is insane, look op you're gunning for the number 4 school in the nation (fucking come at me Columbia) you knew the chances were really slim going into it. On top of everything Cuban/Peruvian isn't even full URM in their eyes (I think that's messed up but that's not the conversation we're having).

Are you really unsure if you would be happy and fulfilled at the 12th best school in the nation otherwise? This isn't Kent we're talking about here (no disrespect to Kent, but that would be a different conversation).

If you really want to go to the city of Chicago that bad then NU is perfect, it's an amazing school with great teachers, research opportunities, and work prospects. It's perfectly located and will set you up to spend a long time in Chicago very comfortably. You'd probably get more money to go to NU than you would Chicago.

I know the recommendation is alway "retake", and if you really want U chicago than go for it, but honestly for what it's worth I say see what NU offers and accept. IF you get off WL you're not getting any money and I am hesitant to advocate sticker anywhere.

Finally, get out of the Law School Application bubble for a while. Talk to someone who didn't go to law school about getting into Cornell, see their response. I guarantee NU will offer you what you want

Thank you for this, I know my question was weird but I wanted to be honest. I appreciate you post, and it helps! Glad to see some people are helpful!

Johann

Diamond

Postby Johann » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:00 pm

nu is a great school and well respected in Chicago. I know plenty of Chicago law firms that view NU grads the same as UCHI grads. Some firms may have a preference but if you strike out from nu and biglaw is your goal, that's on you.

btruj777

Bronze

Postby btruj777 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:02 pm

JohannDeMann wrote:nu is a great school and well respected in Chicago. I know plenty of Chicago law firms that view NU grads the same as UCHI grads. Some firms may have a preference but if you strike out from nu and biglaw is your goal, that's on you.

Thanks for this, see, I was unware of the fact that NU grads are seen to be on par with UChicago grads

Blue664

New

Postby Blue664 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:22 pm

I don't know if you're K-JD, but you sound like you haven't had a lot of experience dealing with disappointment and handling situations that are out of your control. I recommend taking a deep breath, going for a walk to release some endorphins, wallowing for a bit if you need to (I highly suggest doing this offline), and, as others have said, research your options thoroughly and find something to excited about other places (including non-Chicago places, since it sounds like you haven't actually heard from NU yet). There are definitely things to love about all the other schools you've been accepted to. Nobody can sell a school to you. And after all, there are reasons that some people dislike/dont find a good fit in UChicago too - go look at those again!

These things happen, and this process is full of unknowns and imperfect information. That's just life. I'm expecting the third rejection letter (e.g., undergrad, my master's, now law school) in lifetime from a number of schools that I've applied to this cycle lol! :roll:

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:34 pm

In the most non-aggressive/respectful tone possible, this is an extremely ridiculous thing to be torn apart about.

You have amazing options outside of NU if you REALLY wanted to preserve your pride and not go to the second-best law school in the city - which I think is kind of an absurd thing to be wallowing over. It's not like you're comparing GULC to GW or HLS to BU...NU is a great and respectable school that some people would give organs to attend. I doubt that anyone in Chicago would look at your NU sweater (you probably wouldn't even buy one) and think "lols. look that that second-tier law student."

If you really want to live in Chicago but hate the idea of attending NU, go to any other T14 and SA/practice in Chicago. It's not like law school is the only time you'll have the chance to live there.

I think you're overthinking and worrying too much about this. To me, personally, it's kind of like if Hillary sulked and became torn that she got Secretary of State instead of President back in 2009.

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:38 pm

Blue664 wrote:I'm expecting the third rejection letter (e.g., undergrad, my master's, now law school) in lifetime from a number of schools that I've applied to this cycle lol! :roll:

That part!

The amount of rejections I'm expecting to see before this cycle is over is real :lol:

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:40 pm

brinicolec wrote:
Blue664 wrote:I'm expecting the third rejection letter (e.g., undergrad, my master's, now law school) in lifetime from a number of schools that I've applied to this cycle lol! :roll:

That part!

The amount of rejections I'm expecting to see before this cycle is over is real :lol:

I spent an insane amount of money this year on rejection letters/emails. Was that $ worth the 3 months of dreams and hopes? Yes. :D

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:43 pm

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:
brinicolec wrote:

That part!

I spent an insane amount of money this year on rejection letters/emails. Was that $ worth the 3 months of dreams and hopes? Yes. :D

At some point, I just stopped totaling up how much I spent on apps. I'm expecting at least two more rejections (from Harvard and CLS). Already got rejected from Cornell, which was actually unexpected but I wasn't sad about it lol

btruj777

Bronze

Postby btruj777 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:45 pm

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:In the most non-aggressive/respectful tone possible, this is an extremely ridiculous thing to be torn apart about.

You have amazing options outside of NU if you REALLY wanted to preserve your pride and not go to the second-best law school in the city - which I think is kind of an absurd thing to be wallowing over. It's not like you're comparing GULC to GW or HLS to BU...NU is a great and respectable school that some people would give organs to attend. I doubt that anyone in Chicago would look at your NU sweater (you probably wouldn't even buy one) and think "lols. look that that second-tier law student."

If you really want to live in Chicago but hate the idea of attending NU, go to any other T14 and SA/practice in Chicago. It's not like law school is the only time you'll have the chance to live there.

I think you're overthinking and worrying too much about this. To me, personally, it's kind of like if Hillary sulked and became torn that she got Secretary of State instead of President back in 2009.

I wanna thank you very much for being respectful and helpful. Honestly, I guess I was down when I asked this question. But I was being honest and wanted to share what was on my mind. I appreciate you not being a troll/douche. After reading the posts and poll results and reasoning myself to a "better state", I would be honored to go to NU :)

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:51 pm

btruj777 wrote:
Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:In the most non-aggressive/respectful tone possible, this is an extremely ridiculous thing to be torn apart about.

I wanna thank you very much for being respectful and helpful. Honestly, I guess I was down when I asked this question. But I was being honest and wanted to share what was on my mind. I appreciate you not being a troll/douche. After reading the posts and poll results and reasoning myself to a "better state", I would be honored to go to NU :)

Haha glad we can help! Honestly I also think while it may SEEM like a huge deal right now, it will all work out and be trivial in the end. I remember when I was kind of torn that I chose to go to my UG school (second best UG school in a city) but when I look back at it now, I can't imagine going anywhere else :D

best of luck on your decision (and hopefully more acceptance letters to come). You have amazing choices on your list already and really can't go wrong in any direction you choose!

btruj777

Bronze

Postby btruj777 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:58 pm

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:
btruj777 wrote:

Haha glad we can help! Honestly I also think while it may SEEM like a huge deal right now, it will all work out and be trivial in the end. I remember when I was kind of torn that I chose to go to my UG school (second best UG school in a city) but when I look back at it now, I can't imagine going anywhere else :D

best of luck on your decision (and hopefully more acceptance letters to come). You have amazing choices on your list already and really can't go wrong in any direction you choose!

I feel the same about my UG. You reminding me of that really helps! Best of luck to you as well!

Return to “Choosing a Law School�