Chicago Schools: Loyola v ChicagoKent v Depaul v JMarshall

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
MrFreshPrince95

New

Chicago Schools: Loyola v ChicagoKent v Depaul v JMarshall

Postby MrFreshPrince95 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:11 pm

I was wondering what do you guys think are the best between these four schools, especially between loyola and chicago kent? I'm really just interested in employment in chicago and social life/community/alumni connections

thx!!

Nebby

Diamond

Re: Chicago Schools: Loyola v ChicagoKent v Depaul v JMarshall

Postby Nebby » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:16 pm

Whichever gives you more money (between Loyola and Kent). Can you try to retake for a score that could get you into Northwestern?

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:29 pm

What kind of employment do you want in Chicago? What are your costs of attendance at each school? GPA/LSAT? Do you have any other school options?

And stop considering "social life" when you look at law schools. You'll have the same social life anywhere you go. Law school isn't a second undergrad. You're going there to get a job, not to party.

Mullens

Silver

Postby Mullens » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:02 pm

Never John Marshall. It's a straight dumpster fire. I think Loyola and Kent are viewed by some people as being slightly better than Depaul but idk how universal that view is. I would only attend Loyola, Kent, or Depaul if I had a full ride and no desire to do biglaw.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Postby trebekismyhero » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:20 pm

Mullens wrote:Never John Marshall. It's a straight dumpster fire. I think Loyola and Kent are viewed by some people as being slightly better than Depaul but idk how universal that view is. I would only attend Loyola, Kent, or Depaul if I had a full ride and no desire to do biglaw.

This 100%

Incrementalist

Bronze

Postby Incrementalist » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:17 am

I would say Loyola or Kent. I wouldn't consider John Marshall. Loyola and Kent would most likely offer you better employment opportunities

MrFreshPrince95

New

Postby MrFreshPrince95 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:18 pm

thx everyone for the replies.. ill just try to figure out how to really separate loyola and CK from one another. Ive read that CK gives out a little more money and has a little better employment opportunities, but loyola is ranked a little higher. idk if loyola or CK has more name recognition/prestige tho (especially in chicago).

As to the statement that law school isnt about social life... well im not trying to spend thousands of dollars and live in the same building for the next three years with a boring/antisocial community lolol. I no there arent going to be bangers but i at least want to know if theres a tight knit community during and after law school or not

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:22 pm

Why is it always so hard for people to answer the damn question?

What. Employment. Do. You. Want. After. School?

guynourmin

Gold

Postby guynourmin » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:30 pm

MrFreshPrince95 wrote:ill just try to figure out how to really separate loyola and CK from one another.

Apply to both and literally just go to whichever one is cheaper unless the couple miles that separate them is really that significant (like, if Loyola was $2,000 more/year but you lived 2 blocks from there, I would probably consider paying more to go to the closer school). There is no reason to try and separate them from one another until you have your COA in front of you.

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:33 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:Why is it always so hard for people to answer the damn question?

Doesn't seem to matter in this case since 3 of the 4 will give you pretty much the same results, and John Marshall will give you a nice cushy job as a BigLaw paralegal.

guynourmin

Gold

Postby guynourmin » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:39 pm

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:John Marshall will give you a nice cushy job as a BigLaw paralegal.

I actually think that would be a decent get for the average JM grad.

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:41 pm

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:Why is it always so hard for people to answer the damn question?

Doesn't seem to matter in this case since 3 of the 4 will give you pretty much the same results, and John Marshall will give you a nice cushy job as a BigLaw paralegal.

I'm mainly asking because the OP is asking about prestige and name-recognition, which don't mean a whole lot if they have the general career goals that are achievable from these schools. So my subtext is more, "What job do you think you'll get from Kent?"

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:45 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:

I'm mainly asking because the OP is asking about prestige and name-recognition, which don't mean a whole lot if they have the general career goals that are achievable from these schools. So my subtext is more, "What job do you think you'll get from Kent?"

Noo, I totally get why you're asking that question and it's completely valid. I also thought it was funny how people usually avoid answering that question.

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:21 pm

guybourdin wrote:
Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:John Marshall will give you a nice cushy job as a BigLaw paralegal.

I actually think that would be a decent get for the average JM grad.

Haha "JD Advantage" isn't the worst thing in the world, I guess..

Johann

Diamond

Postby Johann » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:05 pm

Guy I know graduated from a Ttt and works as a biglaw paralegal. Not the worst gig in the world. 65k with good benefits and time off. Leaves work at work unlike attorneys. But yeah obviously no need to have the law degree for the job.

Johann

Diamond

Postby Johann » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:06 pm

As to he OP, either Kent or Loyola. I'd have a slight preference for Loyola all else being equal. The catholic thing does seem to lend a helping hand sometimes in Chicago.

illini2016

New

Postby illini2016 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:05 pm

Loyola and Kent are equals in Chicago--small and midsize firms will hire you, as will the State's Attorney's office, but you'd best be number 1 or 2 in your class if you want even a shot at MB, Sidley, or Kirkland.

DePaul is less esteemed. And, yes, John Marshall is a raging dumpster fire.

blerggggg

New

Postby blerggggg » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:22 pm

It's pretty sad. Pre-recession, you could still get Chicago Kirkland if you were #1 at John Marshall. Those days are long gone.

Johann

Diamond

Postby Johann » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:30 pm

blerggggg wrote:It's pretty sad. Pre-recession, you could still get Chicago Kirkland if you were #1 at John Marshall. Those days are long gone.

They always send a couple to biglaw. Maybe not Kirkland but I know Other firms still higher the top candidates. Crapshoot and no way of knowing you'll be the top of the top.

MrFreshPrince95

New

Postby MrFreshPrince95 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:18 pm

LMFAO. Im not avoiding answering anything. were not on messenger, so obviously im not going to reply right away

as to career goals, i definitely want to run for office, but until then id want to either do corporate, family, or international law. it dont mean much to me (still prefer big over small law tho duhh), but i just want as much $$ as possible. Im def the type to go 110% on social/networking stuff so im just looking for which school will give the best overall help to me getting a job asap.

COA: i got 30k total from loyola, 90k from Marshall, and im still waiting on CK.

cavalier1138 wrote:

Noo, I totally get why you're asking that question and it's completely valid. I also thought it was funny how people usually avoid answering that question.

UVA2B

Gold

Postby UVA2B » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:33 pm

He wasn't looking for an immediate response, but more one that, you know, answers the question asked.

Your career goals are kinda all over the map, and I get the feeling your first goal is the one you want most, which is unfortunately common among young, idealistic law student prospects who equate a law degree to political office. Please realize this is a false causation/correlation issue. A law degree does relatively little to place you strategically to run for office.

Based on what you've given us in the body of your posts, you have a bit of wide eyes toward money and prestige. It's not that uncommon in this profession, so don't feel alone. But please realize you'll be better set up if you figure out much more concretely what you want to do, and then develop a realistic plan to accomplish that goal. If you want corporate work, go somewhere more likely to give you that outcome (in CHI, UCHI and NU). If you want to do family law, get the cost of Kent, Loyola, etc. as cheap as they can get, knowing you'll likely never be rolling in BIGLAW money. There is nothing wrong with that.

Try to think about this truly strategically. From the schools you're considering, you have statistically most likely outcomes of earning modest salaries in the $50k range. If that's not acceptable to you and you want more, you either need to adjust your options (get into schools that place in those jobs you want) or adjust your expectations.

This career should be approached with purpose and forethought. Show us you've done this, and these boards can be extremely helpful in making tough decisions.

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:35 pm

UVA2B wrote:He wasn't looking for an immediate response, but more one that, you know, answers the question asked.

Your career goals are kinda all over the map, and I get the feeling your first goal is the one you want most, which is unfortunately common among young, idealistic law student prospects who equate a law degree to political office. Please realize this is a false causation/correlation issue. A law degree does relatively little to place you strategically to run for office.

Based on what you've given us in the body of your posts, you have a bit of wide eyes toward money and prestige. It's not that uncommon in this profession, so don't feel alone. But please realize you'll be better set up if you figure out much more concretely what you want to do, and then develop a realistic plan to accomplish that goal. If you want corporate work, go somewhere more likely to give you that outcome (in CHI, UCHI and NU). If you want to do family law, get the cost of Kent, Loyola, etc. as cheap as they can get, knowing you'll likely never be rolling in BIGLAW money. There is nothing wrong with that.

Try to think about this truly strategically. From the schools you're considering, you have statistically most likely outcomes of earning modest salaries in the $50k range. If that's not acceptable to you and you want more, you either need to adjust your options (get into schools that place in those jobs you want) or adjust your expectations.

This career should be approached with purpose and forethought. Show us you've done this, and these boards can be extremely helpful in making tough decisions.

I was gonna say this but less tactfully.

OP, do some salary research. If your long-term goal is political office, don't go to law school. If your short-term goal is make as much money as possible, then don't go to these law schools.

Johann

Diamond

Postby Johann » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:36 pm

Your salary is likely to be in the 45k first year after graduation. If you network and hustle hard, you might be anywhere 65-100k after 5 years in the field. At 10 years in the field, if you make it, which most don't because of the 45-60 hours of weekly work and 5-10 hours of weekly networking, that's when you'll have made it with a steady 100k private practice job or kush 60k-80k govt job.

guynourmin

Gold

Postby guynourmin » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:37 pm

MrFreshPrince95 wrote:LMFAO. Im not avoiding answering anything. were not on messenger, so obviously im not going to reply right away

as to career goals, i definitely want to run for office, but until then id want to either do corporate, family, or international law. it dont mean much to me (still prefer big over small law tho duhh), but i just want as much $$ as possible. Im def the type to go 110% on social/networking stuff so im just looking for which school will give the best overall help to me getting a job asap.

COA: i got 30k total from loyola, 90k from Marshall, and im still waiting on CK.

Money and running for office are among the worst reasons you could go to law school.

MrFreshPrince95

New

Postby MrFreshPrince95 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:43 pm

LOLOL thx for the analysis bro

guybourdin wrote:
MrFreshPrince95 wrote:LMFAO. Im not avoiding answering anything. were not on messenger, so obviously im not going to reply right away

Money and running for office are among the worst reasons you could go to law school.

Return to “Choosing a Law School�