UF with 65% tuition?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
zerato5

Bronze

UF with 65% tuition?

Postby zerato5 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:32 pm

Last edited by zerato5 on Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

grades??

Silver

Re: UF with 65% tuition?

Postby grades?? » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:37 pm

You can get more from them. They always try to be stingy but if you have competing offers you can negotiate a full ride usually. Just really explain to them how you want to attend but really need some more money in light of X other offers.

zerato5

Bronze

Postby zerato5 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:40 pm

Last edited by zerato5 on Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

grades??

Silver

Postby grades?? » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:14 pm

zerato5 wrote:
grades?? wrote:You can get more from them. They always try to be stingy but if you have competing offers you can negotiate a full ride usually. Just really explain to them how you want to attend but really need some more money in light of X other offers.

I initially had no scholarship offer, and I leveraged my FSU/Stetson offers to get the 65% after speaking on the phone with the dean. I really don't think they're going to add anything else on top of that. Do you think the debt as is will suffocate me?

That means you could leverage more, don't bitch out

zerato5

Bronze

Postby zerato5 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:20 pm

grades??

Silver

Postby grades?? » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:35 pm

zerato5 wrote:
grades?? wrote:
zerato5 wrote:
grades?? wrote:You can get more from them. They always try to be stingy but if you have competing offers you can negotiate a full ride usually. Just really explain to them how you want to attend but really need some more money in light of X other offers.

I initially had no scholarship offer, and I leveraged my FSU/Stetson offers to get the 65% after speaking on the phone with the dean. I really don't think they're going to add anything else on top of that. Do you think the debt as is will suffocate me?

Hahaha, I'm not trying to bitch out, I just didn't know it was possible. What would you suggest as my next steps?

You go back to fsu and ask for more money. Say UF gave you this much and you would like more to be able to consider fsu. Get a new offer and then go back to UF. Easy. You do this until both schools give you a full ride, which they eventually will if you keep going back and forth. Its annoying but whats better than free tuition? Nothing.

zerato5

Bronze

Postby zerato5 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:45 pm

grades??

Silver

Postby grades?? » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:46 pm

zerato5 wrote:
grades?? wrote:
zerato5 wrote:
grades?? wrote:
zerato5 wrote:

Hahaha, I'm not trying to bitch out, I just didn't know it was possible. What would you suggest as my next steps?

You go back to fsu and ask for more money. Say UF gave you this much and you would like more to be able to consider fsu. Get a new offer and then go back to UF. Easy. You do this until both schools give you a full ride, which they eventually will if you keep going back and forth. Its annoying but whats better than free tuition? Nothing.

When I was speaking with the dean she mentioned she didnt want to get in a bidding war, is it bad faith/bad form to make it a bidding war? Also my UF scholarship is lower than my FSU scholarship. Thats not much leverage

What are your UF and FSU scholarships? Truthfully, you could just play the I really wanna come to UF to the Dean, but you need to beat the FSU offer. If you do, I will deposit. But only do this if the FSU offer is that much better than the UF offer. I need more details. But the worst that can happen with this approach is she says no, and you are already at what you have money wise. But tons of upside.
Last edited by grades?? on Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zerato5

Bronze

Postby zerato5 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:47 pm

zerato5

Bronze

Postby zerato5 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:49 pm

grades??

Silver

Postby grades?? » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:51 pm

zerato5 wrote:
grades?? wrote:
zerato5 wrote:
grades?? wrote:
zerato5 wrote:

65% (14,950) UF and 75% (15,500) FSU. I basically played that card with UF (which is true) when I asked for scholarship consideration. I said those exact words. They got reallllyy close, but they didn't beat/match it.

You should try again at least. Tell the Dean you need at least 75% scholarship (don't use the actual tuition dollar values). Worst is they can say no. But you really should, you are leaving money on the table.

zerato5

Bronze

Postby zerato5 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:10 pm

__blah

New

Postby __blah » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:14 pm

65% (14,950) UF and 75% (15,500) FSU. I basically played that card with UF (which is true) when I asked for scholarship consideration. I said those exact words. They got reallllyy close, but they didn't beat/match it.[/quote]

Ask for a 75% match. I negotiated up the last cycle and I regret not asking for more. It does not hurt to push for more and every dollar counts.

zerato5

Bronze

Postby zerato5 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:18 pm

grades??

Silver

Postby grades?? » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:24 pm

zerato5 wrote:
__blah wrote:Ask for a 75% match. I negotiated up the last cycle and I regret not asking for more. It does not hurt to push for more and every dollar counts.

How do I frame that? She seemed very hesitant to match, and I don't want to just parrot my earlier request about how much I love the school (even though I really do).

I mean I negotiated both full scholarships from UF and FSU a few cycles ago, but didn't go to either (at Duke/UVA after a retake).

Dear Dean X,

I really appreciate our conversation the other day. I can appreciate your position. However, I am really worried about taking on more debt than I am comfortable with. I would really like to attend UF, but the FSU offer of 75% tuition fits more in line with my financial considerations. However, if UF could beat the 75% scholarship, I would be in a much better position to attend UF. For example, if I got a 85% tuition scholarship, I would be willing to deposit tomorrow.

Thanks,

Zerato5

Something like this. Keep it short and sweet

As far as the debt question, you need to make sure you are going to either UF or FSU for close to free. They are good schools and do well in Florida, but you will be practicing in Florida. Neither sends to biglaw at any rate, so you wont be making much money out of school. So make sure you go for as cheaply as possible because repayment wont be easy.

zerato5

Bronze

Postby zerato5 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:25 pm

Last edited by zerato5 on Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

grades??

Silver

Postby grades?? » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:52 pm

zerato5 wrote:
grades?? wrote:
I mean I negotiated both full scholarships from UF and FSU a few cycles ago, but didn't go to either (at Duke/UVA after a retake).

Dear Dean X,

I really appreciate our conversation the other day. I can appreciate your position. However, I am really worried about taking on more debt than I am comfortable with. I would really like to attend UF, but the FSU offer of 75% tuition fits more in line with my financial considerations. However, if UF could beat the 75% scholarship, I would be in a much better position to attend UF. For example, if I got a 85% tuition scholarship, I would be willing to deposit tomorrow.

Thanks,

Zerato5

Something like this. Keep it short and sweet

As far as the debt question, you need to make sure you are going to either UF or FSU for close to free. They are good schools and do well in Florida, but you will be practicing in Florida. Neither sends to biglaw at any rate, so you wont be making much money out of school. So make sure you go for as cheaply as possible because repayment wont be easy.

Just sent the email. Low key freaking out.

Best of luck! Let us know how it goes.

zerato5

Bronze

Postby zerato5 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:59 pm

Return to “Choosing a Law School�